• Advertisement

194a. Patrick! The Game

Nosferatu!

I liked this episode for what it was. It's not great but it was good. The episode wasn't really funny, except for some good visual gags but I really enjoyed board game stuff in it. I really liked how Sandy was there to support Patrick's game and she was nice to him. It's a little thing but I liked the part when Sandy, SpongeBob and Squidward walked together to Patrick's home, it felt different and it's rarely to see moments like this (except for Squid Defense tho). I have some complaints, Patrick did get on my nerves in this episode. I feel like his lines were forced at some points, especially at the begining and he was loud at some parts as well. I also didn't like ending at all. Yeah, Squidward was being a party pooper but sending him to jail was just cruel and it was a lazy way to end the episode. I still enjoyed watching this one but it wasn't a really strong episode for season 9.2. "B"

While I didn't like it as much as The Sewers of Bikini Bottom, this episode was still fine. The concept of characters playing a game together, while done before in many other shows, was new to SpongeBob. I also loved Monopoly as a kid, so I could relate to this episode a lot. I liked Sandy and Squidward's interactions, but I feel Squidward was excessively jerky to Patrick in the episode, so him being taunted during the game was kind of deserved, even if that got a bit excessive too. The humor was alright. I just wish they did a bit more with the concept altogether, but what we got was decent enough.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Nick will release Patrick's game as merchandise in the future. I'd play it. :P 

Grade: B

2 minutes ago, jjsthekid said:

While I didn't like it as much as The Sewers of Bikini Bottom, this episode was still fine. The concept of characters playing a game together, while done before in many other shows, was new to SpongeBob. I also loved Monopoly as a kid, so I could relate to this episode a lot. I liked Sandy and Squidward's interactions, but I feel Squidward was excessively jerky to Patrick in the episode, so him being taunted during the game was kind of deserved, even if that got a bit excessive too. The humor was alright. I just wish they did a bit more with the concept altogether, but what we got was decent enough.

On an unrelated note, I wonder if Nick will release Patrick's game as merchandise in the future. I'd play it. :P 

Grade: B

SpongeBob is a cash grab, anything can happen :P 

The rules from "Patrick! the Game" reminds me a lot of the rules from 'Calvin-Ball' (if anyone remembers those story arcs from the comic strips "Calvin and Hobbes.") Anyways, the rules are exactly the same; they are completely made up as they go along, and the game is made so it almost always gives someone who doesn't deserve to win, the win. I have to say that whoever is drawing Sandy is doing a very good job, her eyes look more three dimensional and less cartoony than they used to! Also, its nice to see that Squidward got the karma he deserved for once, instead of just getting tortured for no good reason. A 10/10! Enough said!

Pros:

* The plot

* SpongeBob and Sandy are in character

* Visual gags (mainly the facial expressions)

* Decent animation

* The titular board game

* Some funny moments

Cons:

* Patrick is a tad mean like in season 7

* Squidward while he has his funny moments, acted like his seasons 6/7 self

* Pacing

SCORE: 8/10 (GOOD)

Fun facts:

* 2nd episode written by Kyle McCulloch himself; also his 2nd episode to focus on Patrick (as well as his first episode by himself that focused on Patrick). Of course, knowing his writing records on SpongeBob, Squidward still get involved.

* 2nd post-sequel episode to not have Mr. Krabs. I'm surprised considering that he'd be the type of person to be into board games (we've seen play one before in Arrgh!)

* 5th episode overall storyboarded by Fred Osmond. Though you can thank Adam Paloian for those off-model facial expressions. Looks like now I can tell he's the one that is responsible for those exaggerated faces, kinda like CH Greenblatt.

* First episode to use the episode's title card music since Grooming Gary and Sandy's Vacation in Ruins if you count it as an episode (no title is given yet). Last used on Bubble Buddy Returns.

* 3rd post-movie sequel focusing on Patrick (overall the 4th if you count Patrick Man, including the whole 9th season so far).

This episode was really god imo. I find it really funny and seeing those 4 characters hanging out together was fun to watch. The only thing taking it down a bit is the ending, it could have ended better than Squidward being arrested, but I still enjoyed this episode a lot. I really like Patrick in these newer episodes.

8/10

On 12.11.2015 at 9:27 PM, Deadpool said:

I liked this episode for what it was. It's not great but it was good. The episode wasn't really funny, except for some good visual gags but I really enjoyed board game stuff in it. I really liked how Sandy was there to support Patrick's game and she was nice to him. It's a little thing but I liked the part when Sandy, SpongeBob and Squidward walked together to Patrick's home, it felt different and it's rarely to see moments like this (except for Squid Defense tho). I have some complaints, Patrick did get on my nerves in this episode. I feel like his lines were forced at some points, especially at the begining and he was loud at some parts as well. I also didn't like ending at all. Yeah, Squidward was being a party pooper but sending him to jail was just cruel and it was a lazy way to end the episode. I still enjoyed watching this one but it wasn't a really strong episode for season 9.2. "B"

I rewatched this one and it grew on me. Now I still have a bit minor complaint. Patrick's stupidity still feel forced at times in the episode but he bothers me less now. More gags hit me than first time I watched, it did have a lot of amusing monments, especially the whole stuff of characters playing board game was entertaining. Now Squidward getting sent to jail did bother me at first but now it's a pretty amusing gag to me and it was pretty justified since he did get crazy and beat up Patrick. Yeah, Patrick did make up rules as he continues to play but Squidward shouldn't beat the crap out of Patrick (it was pretty funny tho) anyway, so Squidward kind of deserved to be thrown in jail. The joke at the end was made way better here than the face palm ending of Good Ol' Whatshisname. Also Squidward sucking at the board game was funny since he was being a party pooper about it. Sandy's appearance is of course anohter highlight, she was pretty likeable character for being supporting Patrick's game. Not much to talk about SpongeBob but he was amusing and it was cute when he drove the race car toy. I think the episode is better than what I remember now. Not as good as it's partner but still.

Grade: A-

• Like 1

On 11/12/2015 at 6:31 PM, FAS said:

Pros:

* The plot

* SpongeBob and Sandy are in character

* Visual gags (mainly the facial expressions)

* Decent animation

* The titular board game

* Some funny moments

Cons:

* Patrick is a tad mean like in season 7

* Squidward while he has his funny moments, acted like his seasons 6/7 self

* Pacing

SCORE: 8/10 (GOOD)

Fun facts:

* 2nd episode written by Kyle McCulloch himself; also his 2nd episode to focus on Patrick (as well as his first episode by himself that focused on Patrick). Of course, knowing his writing records on SpongeBob, Squidward still get involved.

* 2nd post-sequel episode to not have Mr. Krabs. I'm surprised considering that he'd be the type of person to be into board games (we've seen play one before in Arrgh!)

* 5th episode overall storyboarded by Fred Osmond. Though you can thank Adam Paloian for those off-model facial expressions. Looks like now I can tell he's the one that is responsible for those exaggerated faces, kinda like CH Greenblatt.

* First episode to use the episode's title card music since Grooming Gary and Sandy's Vacation in Ruins if you count it as an episode (no title is given yet). Last used on Bubble Buddy Returns.

* 3rd post-movie sequel focusing on Patrick (overall the 4th if you count Patrick Man, including the whole 9th season so far).

The title card music is called "Marlin March" by Sage Guyton and Jeremy Wakefield.