• Advertisement

September 11, 2001

MMM

9-11.jpg

This might quite possibly the worst day in modern American history. Nearly 3,000 lives were lost and thousands, even millions more affected. Even for those outside of America, this is supposedly a day remembered in history. A day always thought of, a day where several important buildings were destroyed, a day that turned the entirety of America upside down, a day where many innocent lives were taken, a day where many friends and relatives mourned one loss of thousands. As we remember it on it's 14th birthday, discuss it and any memories you may have of it.

9/11 jokes are severely prohibited.

• Like 2

To this day, I remember exactly where I was, and what I was doing when it happened. It was a Tuesday morning, I was just at home, eating cereal for breakfast, thinking it was going to be an ordinary day. Than my mom told me to turn on the TV, because something had happened with one of the Twin Towers! So I turned on the TV, and I didn't even know what I was seeing! It seemed incomprehensible to me to see one of the Twin Towers smoking, and on fire! So imagine my shock when a SECOND plane came and hit the SECOND Tower! And far more shocking, when one by one, BOTH Twin Towers came down!!!! Needless to say, my mom and I both felt it neccessary to not be separated that day. It was a TERRIBLE day, and I hope that such a day will NEVER come to pass on American soil ever again!

R.I.P. to the brave men and women who heroically gave up their lives, to save the lives of others, during the terrible mess that went on in the former Twin Towers. September 11, 2001-September 11, 2015, lest we forget.

I was in 1st grade when this happened and the most I remember is that my teacher had the TV turned onto the news and us being little kids, we didn't know what was happening. Since the school I went to was Catholic, our principal had all the teachers take their students into the church and had us praying for hours on end. That still sticks out to me even today.

• Like 1

Guest hilaryfan80

I was in 2nd grade at the time, and we were sitting around doing our own business when the intercom comes on telling teachers to stop what they're doing and check their emails immediately. Teachers saw the news in an email that the principal sent out, instructing them to tell a child-friendly way of what was going on (despite this, most teachers I heard turned on the TV and showed the news, including my teacher). For the rest of the day, we watched movies. We were too young to understand what was going on, but we did know that it was tragic and something to be sad about, and we were sad in response because kids' emotions are responsive that way. I remember playing with the Lite-Brite Cube with my friend because I can't watch more than one movie straight without my eyes going blurry. It was a depressing day.

While 9/11 isn't the biggest tragedy in American history (it doesn't even compare to Germany's biggest tragedy), it is something we should be reminded about every year, just like Pearl Harbor. I'm imagining ourselves 50 years from now still remembering 9/11 and thinking "Gosh, Pearl Harbor was over 100 years ago!"

And I do agree: 9/11 jokes fall under the distasteful jokes category.

While it doesn't affect me because i'm not from the states, it was indeed a sad tragedy. I was in 4th grade at the time, we didn't hear about it in school but I found out about it when I got home since my mom recorded part of the news report on VHS. It looked like something right out of a movie, it was really surprising but also tragic. It kinda disappointed us since we were interested on traveling to New York that year. I remember almost all channels on cable stopped their programming to show the news concerning the tragedy, even our local channels were reporting about it non-stop for days. I watched the news for a bit but then I went to watch shows like DBZ since I wasn't as interested in the news back then. It was pretty much the first time I heard the word terrorism, and who would've thought this would change the world forever.

I was only like 5 months old when it happened, but my mom always tells me how every channel was showing the news and she took my sister out of preschool early because of it. It was truly awful. I can't believe people jumped out of the windows of the Twin Towers. Man, just thinking about it scares me. Maybe it's because of my fear of heights and falling.

To this day, I remember exactly where I was, and what I was doing when it happened. It was a Tuesday morning, I was just at home, eating cereal for breakfast, thinking it was going to be an ordinary day. Than my mom told me to turn on the TV, because something had happened with one of the Twin Towers! So I turned on the TV, and I didn't even know what I was seeing! It seemed incomprehensible to me to see one of the Twin Towers smoking, and on fire! So imagine my shock when a SECOND plane came and hit the SECOND Tower! And far more shocking, when one by one, BOTH Twin Towers came down!!!! Needless to say, my mom and I both felt it neccessary to not be separated that day. It was a TERRIBLE day, and I hope that such a day will NEVER come to pass on American soil ever again!

R.I.P. to the brave men and women who heroically gave up their lives, to save the lives of others, during the terrible mess that went on in the former Twin Towers. September 11, 2001-September 11, 2015, lest we forget.

I remember where I was, too, when it happened.  I was woken up by my sister saying that "something terrible has happened."  We went to her room and watched the news report. 

My heart goes out to those who died that day.  What a tragic thing to have happened.