• Advertisement

If Squidward Came Out as Gay?

Ron

Western Cartoons are the only place in this world where romantic relationships don't exist. I'd prefer it not to start here.

Just because a person is gay doesn't mean this automatically means they're going to date someone. It could be something as simple as Squidward calling someone attractive

hell, the entire populace of male bikini bottomites thought he was attractive in the two faces of Squidward :P

• Like 4

This would be dumb and pointless. SpongeBob should be timeless, not cater to a recent television trend that will become irrelevant in about five years.

so having gay characters in a show is a "trend" now? lol ok

This would be dumb and pointless. SpongeBob should be timeless, not cater to a recent television trend that will become irrelevant in about five years.

There's so much wrong with this post that I can't even.... -_-

• Like 2

My post is actually a joke but If the creators make Squidward gay, maybe even date with Squilliam, that would be so amazing.

You deserve more praise than what others have given you for announcing the one and true OTP in SpongeBob.

Squidward should come out as Trihexagonicalgender and Mayosexual instead.

Relevant.

so having gay characters in a show is a "trend" now? lol ok

Not really. Overglorfying their existence sure is, though.

Right now we're in the transition point between two worlds: a world where homosexuality is seen as "strange" or even outright "wrong", and a world where it's just a part of the scenery. Since America has legalised gay marriage we're beginning to lean towards the latter, but nevertheless a lot of media still portrays it as a gimmick. And that's what gets me. It'll look gimmicky. Now, I could understand with newer shows, but SpongeBob already has an established cast. Suddenly saying "welp Squidward's gay" this late into the series, would look overly flashy and would definitely be a "jumping the shark" moment. If a writer genuinely wanted to add a gay secondary or tetriary character for his or her own purposes, that's fine on my book; but please, don't try to re-create entire personalities to fit into a mold that is probably temporary.

I'll stop right here because I'm treading dangerous waters, and I'm really not in the mood for another flame war.

• Like 1

I can definitely agree. Introducing a character on the show as being "gay" would be a little too late. SpongeBob has never been a show that has ever focused on love.

Besides, Stephen Hillenburg announced that SpongeBob was asexual back in 2005. He reproduces through budding, after all.

As for our favorite cephalopod.. Squidward may or may not be gay, but I don't think they will ever get around to addressing it. He's probably too wrapped in painting, practicing his clarinet, or showing off his wickedly awesome dance moves to care for love.

SquidSquill is a personal fancy of mine, but I know it will stay as fanfiction. It's probably better that way.

Right now we're in the transition point between two worlds: a world where homosexuality is seen as "strange" or even outright "wrong", and a world where it's just a part of the scenery. Since America has legalised gay marriage we're beginning to lean towards the latter, but nevertheless a lot of media still portrays it as a gimmick. And that's what gets me. It'll look gimmicky. Now, I could understand with newer shows, but SpongeBob already has an established cast. Suddenly saying "welp Squidward's gay" this late into the series, would look overly flashy and would definitely be a "jumping the shark" moment. If a writer genuinely wanted to add a gay secondary or tetriary character for his or her own purposes, that's fine on my book; but please, don't try to re-create entire personalities to fit into a mold that is probably temporary.

I'll stop right here because I'm treading dangerous waters, and I'm really not in the mood for another flame war.

You know what I have a problem with? You saying 'a mold that is probably temporary'. If you believe that homosexuality is moving towards 'just becoming part of the scenery' , than why would you be writing it off as just a "trend"? that will presumably fade in media?

No one says they have to officially and rouglyhly state he's gay or that he even has to be gay? Or that it has to be Squidward? lmao I don't see how on earth it's considered a big-deal and part of a trend if someone like Squidward just saw some male clarinet player and was like "Daaang man he's good looking!".

I get what you're trying to say in terms of the whole "having stereotypical gey character fad" because many forms of entertainment really do use the whole gay thing just as a plot device and it's kind of irritating BUT I don't see how the acknowledgment of the existence of an actual type of person in a tv show is trying to fit in a mold. 

I can definitely agree. Introducing a character on the show as being "gay" would be a little too late. SpongeBob has never been a show that has ever focused on love.

Besides, Stephen Hillenburg announced that SpongeBob was asexual back in 2005. He reproduces through budding, after all.

As for our favorite cephalopod.. Squidward may or may not be gay, but I don't think they will ever get around to addressing it. He's probably too wrapped in painting, practicing his clarinet, or showing off his wickedly awesome dance moves to care for love.

SquidSquill is a personal fancy of mine, but I know it will stay as fanfiction. It's probably better that way.

I wish Stephen would say aromantic too already so people stop thinking SB is going to be in a relationship. He is an independent sponge who don't need no things to.. absorb? :P

And Squidiam is forever the best ship ever I love you.

Guest hilaryfan80

Moved to the Characters forum.

I actually kind of disagree. Squidward wouldn't be the one who would be gay. Sure, he fits the whole theater major gay type, but he's made so many references in the show to liking women that it wouldn't make sense for him to be gay. He even has the entire "Love That Squid" episode dedicated to him liking women. I think it would also undermine his character because it would give him a chance to actually succeed at something. Part of his charm is that women dislike him because he's too snobby and grumpy, with the exception of Squilvia. Heck, we even see women yelling at Squidward in the "April Fools!" episode by screaming at him for hurting SpongeBob (I think it was Nancy, actually!).

Now if you want to go into gay relationships, I still think SpongeBob and Patrick would be the perfect couple, and it would definitely give a show a little kick. Squidward wouldn't even amount to the amount of media attention that SpongeBob would get for coming out.

Moved to the Characters forum.

I actually kind of disagree. Squidward wouldn't be the one who would be gay. Sure, he fits the whole theater major gay type, but he's made so many references in the show to liking women that it wouldn't make sense for him to be gay. He even has the entire "Love That Squid" episode dedicated to him liking women. I think it would also undermine his character because it would give him a chance to actually succeed at something. Part of his charm is that women dislike him because he's too snobby and grumpy, with the exception of Squilvia. Heck, we even see women yelling at Squidward in the "April Fools!" episode by screaming at him for hurting SpongeBob (I think it was Nancy, actually!).

Now if you want to go into gay relationships, I still think SpongeBob and Patrick would be the perfect couple, and it would definitely give a show a little kick. Squidward wouldn't even amount to the amount of media attention that SpongeBob would get for coming out.

Squidward can still be bisexual (make my Squidiam dreams come true in fanfiction) so there's that. Of course perhaps they should just not make a main character gay and just do it with like the Bikini Bottomites since the mainc haracters don't really date anyways. I call dibs on Tom and Fred being two dads. :funny:

• Like 1

You know what I have a problem with? You saying 'a mold that is probably temporary'. If you believe that homosexuality is moving towards 'just becoming part of the scenery' , than why would you be writing it off as just a "trend"? that will presumably fade in media?

By "mold that is probably temporary" I was referring to "hyping up characters to be gay" because while homosexuality, in my opinion, is becoming normalised, it's still unusual enough for television to exploit. That's what's "just a trend". And honestly there's no way to make a main character gay without looking like this, because their personalities are so cemented (not to mention the show is also episodic. You can get away with this in a more serialised setting since characters continously develop).

And really you could even say Squidward's already is gay (see: Squlliam Returns). But to make it a serious plot point? No.

Mark my words, there will be a day where there are multiple homosexual characters in one show and no one will care. But America has a long way to go.

Mark my words, there will be a day where there are multiple homosexual characters in one show and no one will care. But America has a long way to go.

America won't get there by rarely using homosexual or any minority characters to avoid accidentally creating a show archetype. Squidward going "OH NO HES HOT!!" is a step up there. ;)

I doubt it. A lot of foreign markets (such as Russia and China) are still against homosexuality and that's where Nick and a lot of kid's networks in general make profit from. If he ever gets confirmed as gay, it would likely be a passing reference at most to slip by the censors, but even then, it would have to fit Squidward's character and a decent story to be reasonable.

• Like 1

By "mold that is probably temporary" I was referring to "hyping up characters to be gay" because while homosexuality, in my opinion, is becoming normalised, it's still unusual enough for television to exploit. That's what's "just a trend". And honestly there's no way to make a main character gay without looking like this, because their personalities are so cemented (not to mention the show is also episodic. You can get away with this in a more serialised setting since characters continously develop).

And really you could even say Squidward's already is gay (see: Squlliam Returns). But to make it a serious plot point? No.

Well I can certainly agree with you there.

I'd say make him bisexual, since he has dated women before, and making him outright gay would probably cause some problems with continuity. I think Bl4ze, as much as he may be disliked around here, made some good points as to why it'd be both good and bad.

WRONG

1. Spongebob is still a very popular show, doesn't mean controversy will still be had if this actually happens.

2. Spongebob doesn't follow continuity. 

3. It RUINS some continuity it has, take Love that Squid for example.

RIGHT

1. Make a special kind of episode just for gay rights

2. If this actually happened, this may be the first actual time this show can follow continuity

3. We can learn different aspects of his character.