• Advertisement

Sandy as a scientist gets too much hate?

Cha

derpity derp

I'm just going to say it right now, I feel like we don't give Sandy Cheeks enough credit.

Okay so, let's say the writers wanted to expand on Sandy's scientist side. They figured in pre-movie she usually did little gadgets here and there, but nothing too big from memory. Sure Sandy had episodes like Sandy's Rocket where she did do other things than extreme sports. So season 4 and etc come, where they do allow her to make all sorts robots, cloning devices, shrinking submarines that allow you to go into bodies, body morphing transportation and etc.

But let's pin down the fact on why everyone seems to dislike Sandy now despite all of the things she's accomplished above. As most would say;

"It's too much of a drastic change from pre-movie. She use to be about jumping off walls from excitement. Sure we didn't see her act like a scientist as much, but Sandy seemed like she was having more fun back then. Although Squid Defense, Way of the Sponge and Karate Island have tried to bring back her old self again, it's still not enough."

Okay. Let me explain that I DO think her change from extremist to almost full on scientist was very different. What I'm trying to say is, I feel like people don't really appreciate that the writers were trying to develop another side of Sandy. Even if they might have gone too far with it.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

I like the fact that at least they are trying to add more layers to the character of Sandy by going more in depth with her science side.  However, it's when they push that character to extremes while neglecting her athletic side is when it bothers me.  However, I would like to say that you have validated your opinion quite well though Cha.

I have no problem with Sandy as a scientist usually, but recent episodes like The Abrasive Side and SpongeBob, You're Fired have been pushing her more into mad scientist territory by having her perform unethical experiments on her friends. I get that it's supposed to be funny and all, but if Sandy's gonna be a scientist, she should at least try to be a good scientist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's odd, I've never heard anybody saying that Sandy being a scientist is a bad thing. She has her own style and that's something I recognize. Plus, her scientific background makes the story more interesting since it usually sparks Spongebob's and Patrick's interest.

Whatever the writers were trying to with Sandy ended up being pointless because the "expansion" came out of nowhere in Season 4 and was a drastic and sudden and random change that should have been introduced gradually.

Scientist Sandy also made the character incredibly boring, so there's that.

The only good things to come from Scientandy are a handful of episodes and a backstory explanation.

The way I'm viewing this right now, it was surely something most people didn't like in the past and I'm thinking we're just about getting used to her one trait. I think it's because Sandy being a scientist getting a bunch of hate generally has to do with having her athletic character trait out of the picture and just being about her and science. Yet, we got episodes like "The Way of the Sponge," "Dunces and Dragons," "Rodeo Daze," and "Squid Defense" to back things up and remind us that Sandy's character isn't practically ruined and that she's not just a scientist. In addition, three only sane characters are a crowd if you know what I mean from how I see her, Squidward, and Plankton in comparison:

Sandy: Lawful Smart

Squidward: Neutral Smart

Plankton: Chaotic Smart

And those three are practically the only characters any fan and non-fan would only seem to like anymore. Sandy's role as a scientist has been since then expanded in "Funny Pants," so it would be an understatement to say that the Sandy-as-a-scientest-hate has always been varied during the post-movie era. Moreover on the subject of "why" Sandy gets this type of flack...I'll just go ahead and say that Nuggets did have a point there of Sandy's scientist side being rather boring, but not in some cases like using her "rubble reverse ray," attempting to get a record for dismantling her collection of robots...or basically stuff where things get entertaining, IMO.

My bottom line though, Sandy's role as a scientist is what I can see some fans/non-fans hating, but we should be reminded that Sandy's character hasn't changed drastically, just like most of the other main characters.

I've honestly never had a problem with Sandy's scientist side. The issue is balance. There should have been more Scientist Sandy episodes pre-movie, and possibly more Athlete Sandy episodes post-movie.