• Advertisement

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Clappy

20 second teaser now with a full one coming tonight.  Regardless, out of all the tentpole movies to be released this year, I have to say that this is the one that I find the most curious.  It's based off a Marvel property that I don't have much knowledge about.  I mean I knew the Guardians of the Galaxy existed, but I couldn't say I cared enough to actually learn more about them...until now.  If Marvel Studios thinks that the Guardians of the Galaxy can fit well in the big Marvel Cinemaverse scheme of things, I have absolute faith that this shall be good.

Stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, and Dave Batista Bautista. 

I think it'll fit fine, because I don't think they'll bother crossing it over with anything else. It's expanding the universe because it's showing that not everything is happening in New York and that there's much bigger problems that maybe the Avengers can't handle. I'm really stoked because it looks like Chris Pratt is finally breaking into movies which is so great; not to mention the supporting cast looks stellar (John C. Riley and Karan Gillan? Yes please!) and Rocket Raccoon is gonna be on every bit of merchandise for the next 10+ years.

I think it'll fit fine, because I don't think they'll bother crossing it over with anything else. It's expanding the universe because it's showing that not everything is happening in New York and that there's much bigger problems that maybe the Avengers can't handle. I'm really stoked because it looks like Chris Pratt is finally breaking into movies which is so great; not to mention the supporting cast looks stellar (John C. Riley and Karan Gillan? Yes please!) and Rocket Raccoon is gonna be on every bit of merchandise for the next 10+ years.

Yeah like I just pointed to OMJ, the supporting cast is stellar.  I forgot that Karen Gillan is in this too and I'm probably still forgetting a lot of recognizable names that I haven't posted in this thread.

Also I agree that not everything is happening in New York.  This will be a great way to give the movie going audience a much deeper look at the other universes out there and also Thanos is going to be in this too.  We will hopefully get to learn much more about Thanos since he is going to have such a huge role in the Marvel Cinemaverse going forward (he's not appearing in The Avengers 2 though).

Yeah like I just pointed to OMJ, the supporting cast is stellar.  I forgot that Karen Gillan is in this too and I'm probably still forgetting a lot of recognizable names that I haven't posted in this thread.

Also I agree that not everything is happening in New York.  This will be a great way to give the movie going audience a much deeper look at the other universes out there and also Thanos is going to be in this too.  We will hopefully get to learn much more about Thanos since he is going to have such a huge role in the Marvel Cinemaverse going forward (he's not appearing in The Avengers 2 though).

I rather Thanos stay in space, because otherwise the Guardians would probably have to go to Earth and then we'd get the Guardians + The Avengers + the new Avengers (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Ant-man, possibly Doctor Strange, whoever else) + SHIELD. As awesome as it sounds, that movie would have way too many people to deal with. I think I'd want a trilogy of Guardians movies where Thanos is just always in the background while he lets the "main" villain fight the Guardians. My "dream" way to structure this would be:

Guardians 1: Guardians assembled, they learn about Thanos; they defeat Ronan and Nebula; Ronan goes to prison, Nebula escapes; they confront Thanos and lose

Guardians 2: Some other stuff happens; maybe inter-team drama with Rocket and Groot going off and doing their own thing; Nebula's the villain; Thanos is still in the background getting his plan together

Guardians 3: Guardians are stronger and more organized; Thanos enacts his plan (whatever that'd be; I need to brush up on my Thanos lore); the Guardians confront and defeat Thanos (maybe with the help of Nebula I dunno, like I said I need to brush up on it).

Real trailer:

Looks friggin' fantastic.

I was legitimately surprised with Hooked on a Feeling playing in the background.  Made me enjoy the trailer that much more.  Marvel can just shut up and take my money.

Nope. Still not watching the trailer. I wanna go into the movie without knowing what he (or Vin Diesel, for that matter) sounds like.

How's that working out for you?

Saw this in 3D today. It was fine. I think my expectations were set too high, because I'm not freaking out about it like everyone else who saw it.

I'm not really going to spoil much, I just don't want this to be a really long post.

Spoiler

I had no idea what the plot of the movie was (I knew Ronan and Nebula and that was it), but I was really excited when the credits came up and it said Glenn Close was Nova Prime. I'm reading about Xandar and Ronan in the comics now, and it's all really cool stuff. I hope Nova and Quasar are in the second one, but I'm not holding my breath.

My main gripe was the humor. I think some lines worked fine but the majority fell flat and I thought it was really predictable stuff. Like all the bickering about the plan Starlord "had" was just like... eugh. I thought Drax had the best line of that conversation with "I was thinking about something else" and the rest just wasn't good. Starlord's Jackson Pollock joke was pretty bad too (I think that might've been my least favorite joke in the movie). Him going on about Footloose was fine enough and I get that it's dated humor on purpose because he's from the '80s but I wish we could get past that type of humor. Rocket and Groot were fine after their intro-scene with Groot drinking the fountain water (but maybe I just didn't get why it was funny when Rocket said not to drink the fountain water).

It would've done so much better as just a straight action movie. Throw in a couple funny lines for unexpected comedic relief, and make it not take itself that seriously but still have it just be action. The action parts were so good and the story was so good and it just got bogged down by subpar humor.