• Advertisement

Steel's Top 60 Animated Songs

101 Dalmatian Street

54. You've Got a Friend In Me / Toy Story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHFy3YWpRx8

And whoop-de-do, there goes all the Pixar songs.

This would be the one song that pops into anyone's minds when it comes to Pixar. I shouldn't pick songs solely for being a classic, but I couldn't agree more about this being a gem. Also, this isn't the only song in this countdown that has Randy Newman's involvement.

Okay, so what do I like about this? That cantina...style (should I call it that?) piano work mixed with that smooth jazz is what I seem to like. Randy's vocal work is not spot on, but he works it out. While I think it also sounds rather dull, the song manages to sound at least memorable. Not too corny lyrics either.

I guess that's it. I can't be too open on this song. It's not as good as the movie, but Randy has some talent.

53. The Laughter Song / My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2f6lFH5cg

Ha, I hope you guys can handle some more songs from MLP being in this countdown. This here is a first. Off-subject, the title is debatable with "Giggle at the Ghostie," but I would trust the soundtrack with the official title, so there.

Daniel Ingram is becoming an inspirational composer in due to his work with this show. He gives some songs a good amount of spunk, manage to have some of them make up for any cheesiness, he plays a mean fiddle, come on now!

This is an example of a song that represents a character and style of the show vividly, and this is the just the first song outside of its theme music. Additionally, I think it's just a lot of fun listening to. If you can handle portions of the show's girlishness and/or if you're a brony, then you can be able to agree with my pick here. One more thing, the ukulele is a nice touch.

Hints on the next songs making way for this list:

WHO is she and WHY does she have her own song?
A song that has E.V.I.L.'s name on the title.

Did someone take my lunch?

no

Well, once you introduce yourself to this next theme song, you'll realize that the little blurb I put in was only a rhetorical question.

52. Pepper Ann Theme

Who's that girl? What's her name? Is she cool? Is she lame? ...So many questions, so little time. And what a wonderful minute you'll have with this theme song.

Is she lame? Is she cool? IS SHE BREAKIN' EVERY RULE? IS SHE ANYBODY'S FOOL? Yes....for few reasons this would be one my favorite theme songs....even though it feels middle of the road according to my countdown. Heck, who would've thought that the creator of Angela Anaconda has done this show before-hand during the 90's?

This is an example of a theme song out of a cartoon I have watched during my childhood....and still remember most of. Wouldn't you know it, I still adore it. It's not perfect when comes to the "one in a mill-YOOOOON" part, so I'll give you guys that. Bottom line is that the sheer catchiness will have you enjoying this song.

51. E.V.I.L. B.O.Y.S. / Phineas & Ferb

Heh, I didn't know Grunkle Stan was such a sublime blues singer. (Yeah, I kid. That's Dan Povenmire doing the singing for hoarse-throat Candace BTW.) But anyways, testify Candace, testify!

Certain Phineas and Ferb songs can get you hooked in trying to listen to 'em again. Of course, the staff sure do know how to create a very good blues track, but with one little twist. It also does good to turn one of Candace's rants about her stepbrothers into a melody you cannot prevent yourself from getting stuck into. I can't forget to mention the lyrics and rhyming being done significantly.

It gets better and more true to its intended genre played in the song, with the vocal work getting powerful during the last verses and chorus. You can't just help but feel like singing along.

There you have it, first P&F song listed other than "Danny's Story," expect more, and give this one a listen.

Hints on the next two songs, line 'em up...:

A theme song from a favorite show of Jjs' that most of you guys may haven't heard of.

The most unexpected pick that you will make you guys debate whether or not I'm cheating for putting this medley in the countdown.

• Like 1

Now onto the Top 50 bracket...

50. Never Say Never / Oban Star-Racers

Awesome.

It's a shame I admittedly haven't started watching some episodes of this show, but can I see how much effort the creators put into this and I have heard this theme song. How everything else is collaborated for the theme song...it just really helps significantly and matches up.

I just...don't know how I'm going to be able to describe this theme song and all the clips and transitions put in together...other than the word [awesome]. Other than that, those guitars especially make this theme song incredible.

Since I don't have much to say now, let's go ahead with the next one...

49. BBC Children in Need Medley / Peter Kay's Animated All-Star Band

Now....here's why I'm counting this one, but first let me explain this: one of my rules is that a song that is sometimes (or mostly) mistaken for an original composition from an animated movie or show and exists elsewhere does not count. An example would be "Sweet Victory."

Now once again, why am I counting this?: It's a mainstream song from a virtual band, kinda like the Gorillaz, but....it feels like an original composition intended for something animated alone. It's a charity single besides that, but still. It's a medley composed of hit songs, but it's sung by voice-over artists, and as for the fact that it's a medley, that makes it into an original song otherwise, of some sort. Some of you guys think I'm cheating, but bottom line is that I'm counting this because this song wasn't and isn't outside of animation to begin with.

By the way, Children In Need is a campaign from the United Kingdom for charity. Now that I made myself clear, I shall begin praising this song. The all-star cast is consisted of characters from British children's shows. Not only that, but Ben Tennyson, Scooby-Doo & Shaggy, Spongebob, and the Koala Brothers are there to join.

Word with me here, how cool is it to see a bunch of stop-motion/claymation cartoon characters all together singing Chumbawamba, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, etc.? Not only that, you can see how much effort they really put into this, for a charity single. It took two years to make this and it was worth the time needed for UK to work on this. So yeah, I'm not from England, but this is just superb.

The following hints for the next songs to follow up:

A sentimental yet a charming and rocking theme song

I called the witch doctor and this is what he sang...

48. Sonic Underground Theme

You know, it's just really weird that I like this theme more than the few others I already listed. It's a rather very sentimental theme song that explains the main premise of the show....with a very good sound regardless of its nature.

Years ago, at some point, I would apparently repeat the song when on Youtube and have it played until I decide to move on another subject. This theme song is not any better, but it's something you would get really into. It's very clear and poetic on the plot they try to describe and the man has quite a strong throat - or voice for that matter, it's not easy trying to give a bigger emphasis for every one of these tunes I cover up.

This show usually has a rule for having one song each episode, and it's probably rare to find a song that's as good as the theme song itself. In the meantime, Sonic Underground is somewhere on my "catchiest theme songs" book. As my little recommendation, check out this rocking theme music.

47. Friends on the Other Side / Princess & the Frog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yw2SmG674

In the wake of the revival of Disney's traditional animation department (only to branch it down after only a few years), Randy Newman kicks his way through the door and takes charge of the songs, and his work is just thrilling.

"Dig a Little Deeper" is alright, one other song I can't mention yet takes the cake. "Friends on the Other Side on the other hand, eh, I'm not too much of a big fan of this one, while villain songs are usually very good. This being one of them, it sums up the villain's role as a witch doctor very well. I just think Randy gave him the perfect sound that I can't really describe at the moment. And then...

Before the song ends, all the crazy stuff starts brewing up! The song itself starts getting powerful and funky to show off the grim and compelling side of the Doctor Facilier character. That's just mindblowing when the song progresses like that. Bottom line, Randy Newman can create such a good villain song, no other way I can describe this tune than that.

Hints on what's coming up:

Another instrumental composition, which is from Disney

It's not Gaston, but it's still something from that one movie...

• Like 3

I'm afraid that I do have a problem with MLP:FiM songs being on here. Get some Equestria Girls music on this list, ya hipster.

Joking aside, kudos for putting Pepper Ann on here. And yay, I'm not the only one who has a "guilty pleasure" for the opening of Sonic Underground.

46. To Die For / The Lion King

"Simba, it's to die for!" And then this was one of the biggest highlights of Hans Zimmer's composition work for this movie within one of the biggest scenes of the movie itself.

Mr. Zimmer surely didn't have a problem trying to fit the dangerous and dramatic mood of the stampede. The African chanting...those drums, and pretty much everything else! Out of all scores from The Lion King, this one is bound to get anybody pumped up! Yet, I'll be honest that this isn't my highest scoring Lion King song.

This score is dramatic, intense, haunting, but the next few Lion Kings seem to catch on to me more, surprising isn't it? As usual, that's all the time I have to cover up this song...

45. Be Our Guest / Beauty & the Beast

While Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson get their share of fame for one of the songs from this movie, Lumiere's musical number marks this deserving spot.

I remember first seeing this movie in full viewing at theaters in 3D. I really liked the movie, simple and short review. As I'm going to keep saying, the song receives better charm once it progresses. It's also not just Lumiere doing the singing work, as it's interesting to see a couple of the other characters join in this tune.

I'm more of a big fan of the really upbeat climax of the song, so that's my sole strong highlight for this, but to add up to my verdict, I can also accept the lyrics and the singing.

Hints on the next ones:

I'm not lying when I say this one is a lullaby

DC fans, prepare yourselves for this next theme song

44. Flying Dreams / Secret of NIMH

Now here's something that will make you guys say "what?" Of course, I can have a liking on some songs based on its beauty, which sums it up right here.

I've first seen this movie at some point during elementary school, another reason why my younger days wasn't really bad at all. It's sorta embarrassing that I've forgotten most of the movie until I now remember just about anything once as I rewatched it. I didn't even know the name of the movie. Of the strongest memories I've had was merely Timmy being sick.

Speaking of Timmy and his illness, the "Flying Dreams" lullaby deals with Ms. Brisby taking care of the aforementioned mouse as the music plays in the background. I'm probably more of a fan of the full extent of the song though. So, why did I place this song here? Whilst being one of my favorite movies of all time, the Secret of NIMH uses this song to give more depth into Mrs. Brisby's character and match up her personality aside from her boldness.

This song is also beautifully sung. It's quiet, but I can see the point of that. Lastly, it's beautifully crafted and it resembles one of my earliest memories of the film. Aside from that song, one of its film scores ["The Tractor"] is great as well.

43. Teen Titans Theme / (as sung by) Puffy AmiYumi

Who doesn't love the Teen Titans theme? I'm also going to get all nostalgic again and say how significant this was, being part of my childhood whilst watching most bits of the show when Kids WB was still around.

I'll be honest and say that I wasn't impressed with this theme at first, but given the show's usual anime-esque style, I would come to appreciate the theme song's unique tone. (I guess some people are just more of a Pokemon person...)

This theme song is rocking. Looking back, it's certainly gained my interest and it's bound to get anybody pumped up. And....that's all I have to say. I'm cutting this short, but like I'll always say, it's too the point. Bottom line, the Teen Titans theme is amazing.

I'm going to update this thing twice in one day, but here are some hints in the meantime:

A two-way tie with a couple of Phineas and Ferb songs

Another Lion King song...

• Like 1

42. TIE: Busted & Perry Come Home / Phineas and Ferb

So pretty much, this is a tie between...possibly the first P&F song I really ever got into and one other P&F song that I felt that I've overlooked and now adore looking back.

For curtain one, it's just so interesting seeing Candace and Vanessa imitate each other most of the time during this musical number, even without the impression that they know each other. (This was way before Summer Belongs to You, though) In fact, who doesn't get a little funky while listening to this song? So yeah, good rhythms, amazing track.

For the second tier, it's a sentimental song that you can see the point of, and a not-so cheesy one at that. The stinger is when Candace runs out of rhymes and comes the whole "Larry" exchange. This song is rather cute. It's heartwarming and I think it sounds very much better near the end. In comparison, I figure that both these songs are my #42. Goes to show how much I love Phineas and Ferb's music. Aside from that, Season 3's music scores a 6.8/10 while Season 4 feels like improvement IMO.

41. He Lives in You / Lion King II: Simba's Pride

Yeah, I like this more than "Circle of Life," and "To Die For," shut up. Additionally, this would be the song I was talking about in contrast to the Diggah Tunnah song.

I can feel a really strong African vibe from this song - the instruments, the vocals, the chanting, the visuals....that's what "Circle of Life" had too, but it was wasn't as strong as what this song is giving me. Not only that, but the musical number appears to be quite catchy.

I'm also fond of how this song just keeps going in comparison to the other song where I feel it's like "Hey, I bet you didn't know we weren't actually done with this song after that long silence." There's just a bunch of good things I can say about this song....yet, there's two other Lion King songs on this countdown with one of them going to take a long way through to cover up.

Hints on the openers for the Top 40 bracket:

Randy Newman did this one too.

A villain song from a movie about a talking tree.

James and the Giant Beach?

I don't think I know of a song from the movie where James used to be on a giant beach with his parents at the beginning.

40. Savages / Pocahontas

You know? For a movie that took place during my birth year, I could care less for this Disney film, so I don't think I have much to say for the villain in contrast to this villain song since I barely ever saw this.

This villain song is fairly dark for a Disney movie, dealing with racial tensions, and centering the rage of war between Governor Ratcliffe, his army men and "savages," who they claim to be inhuman. In the meantime, John Smith in this song is a prisoner held at the brink of death as Pocahontas comes to save him from execution, just to give a recap.

I'm honest when I say that I've only seen bits of this movie, but I love the song "Savages," even if I'm a bigger fan of other potential villain songs below this rank. You may be suited for the rage of war, but pack up, go home. You're through, song. The Pocahontas stops here, but not only that....

39. Almost There / Princess & the Frog

The Princess & the Frog stops here, but #39 sure isn't bad. It's an understatement to say that "Disney is back on track" with what this movie has to offer. Showcasing African-American culture as opposed to what has been done in "Song of the South," (probably depends on who you ask) making a short-lived comeback to 2D animation in their animation department, and having a variety of endearing musical numbers.

For a song that centers Tiana's goal to make a restaurant, there's just plenty of soul on here to keep me entertained, and it's just one of few of those modern Disney canon songs that I've gotten really into. The animation sequence during the song is very fitting considering the style and cultures, as well.

Ain't nothin' stopping her now because she's almost there. As for the song, it was almost there as well....almost to the top half of the countdown. Bottom line, really good tune with Disney's effort showing once again.

Hints for what's coming up:

A Spongebob song? Well, finally....

United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru...

Here's two more inclusions after that short yet lengthy break I had with the list.

38. The F.U.N. Song / Spongebob Squarepants

Spoiler

(No actual video for the song from the episode exists from Youtube) There's no denying putting this song over here. It's what you guys think it is: fun. But not fun as in fun. with the lowercase letters and end period, rather Friends U aNywhere fun. It's just so memorable and enjoyable.

Plankton also sells it with his dark rendition of the song. (F is for fire that burns down the whole town, U's for Uranium BOMBS.) I just feel tingly inside...should I stop talking about this? Well no, that's how I'm supposed to feel. Usually though, I have much to say when it comes to Spongebob, so I'll leave the overall verdict like this:

The unique delivery between Spongebob and Plankton is what makes the episode AND the song a solid classic. Spongebob gave us this incredibly catchy tune while Plankton got himself a pretty witty verse of his own. The song is entertaining, joyous, and just flat out F.U.N.....DOWN HERE IN THE DEEP BLUE SEA! Also, N happens to stand for...

37. Nations of the World / Animaniacs

or also otherwise

Every single other song possible, composed by / Richard Stone

Spoiler

I mostly give props to the song above. I'll be brutally honest when I say that I haven't heard enough Animaniacs songs, but I'll be generous enough to say that every other song composed by Richard Stone should share this placement. The Pinky and the Brain theme, Wakko's World, the Tiny Toons theme, you name it.

Just about almost every person who's heard of Animaniacs have heard of "Nations of the World." Heck, a top animated song list for anything animation wouldn't be complete without the aforementioned song.

You would beg to study through all the countries through the world with this song and dare to get it all memorized through the catchiness brought out by Yakko and Richard Stone. Another highlight about this by the end where Yakko gets even more zany with naming the remaining countries, heck, the fact that he has no problem pronouncing them with that tongue of his is what sells. So yeah, very fun to listen to, very catchy, feels like a study guide, you can't deny how good this song is.

Hints, hints, hints:

Probably the most soulful theme song I've ever listened to.

There could only be one best Sonic theme song.

• Like 1