• Advertisement

Steel's Top 60 Animated Songs

101 Dalmatian Street

Since 50 is too short and 100 is overkill. So, this is going to be my follow-up to my Bottom 20 songs where I complained about my least favorite songs, which is not limited to a few animated songs. Here, I countdown and gush about 60 animated songs in my boat.

BTW, this doesn't have anything to do with my 6th anniversary celebration, but anyways, I've made my vow to get more stuff centered around my spin-offs done by this year, so this is going to take a long gap up until the beginning of my next summer break. To make up for this, I will be counting down 10 of my honorable mentions, with two each month from February up until June.

This particular list I have yet to start up will be limited to...

-Anime OPs and Endings. If non-Japanese animation and Anime are going to be categorized differently, then so be it. I hate to throw a curve ball here, but however...the non-Japanese and internationalized versions of some anime songs (mostly the theme songs; usually also without the anime theme song feel) will count. Sadly, you won't be able to see some of my anime-related favorites such as "Komm Susser Tod," "Change the World," "Sign," and "Butter-Fly" on there.

-South Park songs. I'm not saying I haven't seen South Park in my life, but I'm never really a fan to even care about the songs they got, so don't expect to see any South Park songs on here.

-Anything that I should add that I've forgotten about.

Well, see you guys in February.

• Like 2

-To add to the rules of what will not be included for the countdown, songs such as "Sweet Victory" and "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" will not count.

-Yes Spanky Ham, and by intros, you're thinking of theme songs, right? If so, then yes, those will be included.

Let's get it started with these honorable mentions...

I'm sorry guys, but I'll have you know that there won't be anything South Park related to make even my short list of honorable mentions and there's nothing you can do to-

*12 days later*

Honorable Mention #1: Make Bullying Kill Itself / South Park

Okay Metal Snake, you win this round. In fact, I've listened to a few more South Park songs, but not all of them. And you know...I decided to get one South Park make it into the Top 60, but one is what you'll all get. To be more honest though, "Mega Move" would probably be my real first honorable mention, but why not spare you guys and label this song as an HM, even though it was just suggested by Metal Snake himself? So...you can probably consider this my #71, perhaps? In terms of how I like this song, it has a good message and has some good beats, to put it out simply.

Honorable Mention #2: This is How we Will End it / Total Drama World Tour

If I had to pick one best song from TDWT....this would be the one. Spite how much of a 'ridiculously perfect' character I see in Alejandro, this is a good enough villain song and a good performance between him and Heather.

And those are my first two recommendable picks that didn't manage to make it to the Top 60. Until next time, see you guys in March. I'd hate to make you guys wait, but yep...

• Like 1

Time for a couple more monthly picks...

Honorable Mention #3: After Today / A Goofy Movie

When I made a short thread based around on this, I feel kinda baffled to see other members not jumping into this song, making me think everyone else hasn't heard it. This is a really upbeat and catchy song that hasn't really managed to exceed itself into the Top 60.

Honorable Mention #4: I Won't Say I'm in Love / Hercules

A bit of a guilty pleasure in a way. I'm fond of this one for its talented vocals and it is really fun to listen to, even if not enough to make the actual list, to make a very simple explanation.

Kinda almost forgot to update this yesterday (yesterday, in terms of my timezone that is).

Honorable Mention #5: Diggah Tunnah Dance / Lion King 1/2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBGTuxOEa98

Believe it or not, this almost made the Top 60. Looking back on another Lion King song, I decide to give this song a more pleasant honorable mention rank. It goes on par with the musical style of the franchise, and it will never leave your head. It's worth listening to.

Honorable Mention #6: Poor Unfortunate Souls / The Little Mermaid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFVG4VfPmg

It's a classic Disney villain song that I can't argue with, while most of the musical number is filled with dialogue, but I shouldn't mind about that. The library of various other good animated songs also consider why it has made close to the Top 60.

No, I haven't forgotten about this. I couldn't have skipped May, but regardless, I will begin the countdown next week. I am back to updating spin-offs more often and hopefully I'll try to maintain that, spite my slow start.

Honorable Mention #7: United we Stand / Quest for Camelot

Why not? I'm a sucker for a choir based musical number. It's also one of few of the positive highlights for Quest for Camelot, even though I never really saw the movie myself. Special mention goes to Steve Perry providing the singer for King Arthur.

Honorable Mention #8: You'll be in my Heart / Tarzan

Ehhhh, guilty pleasure for this one. For a more well-known Tarzan song, it's not the best. It's heartwarming and a little bit sentimental at the same time, but it still works, even if Phil Collins sings this (Which I don't really mind at all).

Honorable Mention #9: Digimon Theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUihzNN0ees

This is the part where I'm going to say that I'm going to cheat on my "no anime songs" rule and that some English oriented songs from Japanese anime are going to appear on the countdown. This theme song is just as memorable and a good listen compared to well....I think you all know now what one of my picks are going to make this list, but I'm not going to spoil it.

Honorable Mention #10: Danny's Story / Phineas and Ferb

What do you do to make this sound more incredible? Cross it over with blues, funk, psychedelic rock, and hard rock and you got yourself another good Phineas and Ferb song.

And that should be all the honorable mentions I've covered up. See you guys soon for the real deal.

I couldn't done it last week, it looks like this week would be it.

60. What's This? / Nightmare Before Christmas

Spoiler

What better way to start the countdown than to start talking about a song that barely made it on here? Think about it, you got a top-notch stop motion movie with superb music done and also sung by Danny Elfman. This movie has also apparently been a part of my childhood, but I need to look into this movie again at some point. Crossing over with Jack's sharp and haunting tone with an amazed and energetic mood, especially as it would progress, Danny Elfman never fails to amaze. Yeah, for the record, most of these reviews are probably going to be short here....off to the next one, then...

59. Scooby-Doo Themes / Scooby-Doo

Spoiler

To get started with the theme song praise on this countdown, this would be #15 altogether with the other 14 theme songs on this list. The original one is a classic. David Mook gives off a Beatles vibe out of that theme song, describes the show very clearly and fluidly, and it's just enjoyable to listen to.

The next two themes I've listed are some more exceptions. The second one, from "The New Scooby-Doo Movies" is good old Hanna-Barbera quality theme songs and it's not really as good as the original theme, but still, it sells. The third one to put to mention is the "What's New Scooby-Doo" theme by Simple Plan and they turn it into on of the most catchiest themes ever.

So, for a franchise that puts out a boatload of direct-to-DVD movies, the themes stand out very well.

Up next on the countdown:

The only South Park song on here, now that I decided to undo that little rule.

The first instrumental piece on the list.

• Like 1

58. The Married Life / Up

Spoiler

For some who haven't seen this movie yet, I'm putting this description in spoiler tags just to be safe if you guys don't want to know how the movie begins.

Spoiler

And this where the instrumental placements starts. It's one of those rare Pixar musical pieces that I can get into and really appreciate. They just know how to make a classic tune and fit the atmosphere so well to progress Carl and Ellie's married life until Ellie's death. It's charming, heartwarming, and tearjerking in one composition. What's not to love? Sadly though, the highest rank I would give to a Pixar song is at #54. Sorry if my taste in animated music is like that, but still...I'm impressed with what Pixar has given us here. Keep watch for other film score songs on this countdown, BTW.

57. Blame Canada / South Park

Spoiler

See? I told you guys that I decided to put a South Park song on here. I feel as though "You'll be in my Heart" should not have won the Oscar over this song, because....apparently, there's other good Tarzan songs than the one I just mentioned. Sorry SOF, Wumbo, and any other Canadians seeing this. Some South Park fans on here would also think I could have picked something better than this, but whatever.

With all honesty, I don't care for South Park even though I've seen several bits of the show. Still doesn't mean I can't treat you guys with a song on the countdown from said show. I feel for this song and what Canada has to offer when it comes to stuff like Johnny Test, Nickelback, Justin Bieber, post-80's Bryan Adams, etc., but I like Canada regardless. It's also weird that the characters in the song are just going to Blame Canada, but I should be familiar with South Park's style of entertainment.

The song does just fine and it's still in my head. While I don't mind Anne Murray and all that hockey hullabaloo, I can still see myself agreeing with this song in some ways, and I enjoy listening to this as well.

Also, R.I.P. Mary Kay Bergman

Next hints of the next songs coming up:

-A two-way tie that both include elephants of some sort.

-Who's got the chalk?

56. Chalkzone Theme

Spoiler

In my opinion, not all Nickelodeon themes are that good. I find the Doug theme overpraised, I'm not too fond of the Rugrats theme tune, Rocket Power's theme is in the middle of the road, I find the Jimmy Neutron theme to be such a bore, I still see Fanboy and Chum Chum's theme as a catchy yet also appalling and twisted "Centerfold" sound-a-like, Planet Sheen's theme doesn't even try to sound like one. Penguins of Madagascar, I don't care about you and it's Chalkzone I'm in love. So many to review, so little time.

There's Chalkzone's theme, which I can really get myself into, with the guitar lick during the middle being very memorable. It helps considering that I grew up watching a number of episodes from the show. Additionally, being a fan of rock music, this isn't so surprising.

I usually hear some bits of it as "Who's got the chalk?" but that's not how it goes. Interestingly, it only uses 6 words when it comes to the lyrics. (Rudy's, got, the, chalk, chalk-a, Chalkzone) It still lives up to my memories and history with animated theme songs.

To go with the comparison with FB and CC & "Centerfold," this theme kinda sounds like "Layla" in some parts.

55. TIE: Pink Elephants on Parade / Dumbo & Heffalumps and Woozles / Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Spoiler

Spoiler

Little known fact, the oldest song to make the list is from 1941 while the newest inclusion is from....well, last year.

I like songs that go through this style. They're both out of the blue and never mentioned further on, they're both creepy and trippy, and they're both over the top. Of course, they also have creative uses of animated scenes and creative lyrics to show off the sheer talent from the Disney animators.

"Heffalumps and Woozles'" animated sequences show off as much as the sequences from the Dumbo song can chew. It's all too similar to the other, but the mixed instrumental medleys during the middle of the song makes it feel more unique and top notch. "Pink Elephants on Parades" is plastered with trumpets, various vocal arrangements, and with a tune to still give that classic Disney feel. For clear reasons, I adore both. I could probably make this higher on my list, but I won't bother.

Hints on the next ones:

Short people have no reason....

Ha, ha, HA