• Advertisement

Steel's Top 60 Animated Songs

101 Dalmatian Street

Spoilers plz

I have now done that for the previous two. If you want spoiler tags for the rest of the way, let me know while I'll keep these two ranked songs untagged.

36. Goof Troop Theme

Disney Afternoon might as well be the kings and queens of catchy, nostalgic 90's animated theme songs. It's certainly the best that I could remember much more than the actual episodes, sadly. I'm thinking of watching plenty of Darkwing Duck episodes at some point, but there's like NINETY-ONE of them!

I just had to change the subject for a moment. Goof Troop's theme keeps living through the success and catchiness among the other certain DA themes. Also, I've never seem so much soul for a theme song about slapstick between father son, and another family that consists of father and son plus little sister and wife.

"Like father, like son, they're always number one." That and the theme song is like bread and butter. That's essentially the best way I can describe this song other than how well it works. For a show like Goof Troop, this is how high I would rank the theme song, because I can usually handle soul but I can't handle a little too much soul. From a brilliant show and the boopinest game comes one of the finest theme songs, especially from the likes of syndicated Disney Afternoon shows.

35. Sonic SATAM Theme

Speaking of syndicated shows, have another with this one theme song. It should be clear now that I would rank this higher than Sonic Underground's theme, because why would I think the song from SU is better than this one?

To make valid points, how do I think people should make the perfect animated series theme for Sonic the Hedgehog? First off, simply do not compose as anything as wacky as slapping in a rendition of "In the Hall of the Mountain King," making a somewhat cheesy ballad theme song with enough soul to rival with the Goof Troop theme (don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the SU theme), and some kind of theme song to be enough to consume the tears of non-dub Sonic X fans. Second of all, do all your effort to describe Sonic and his abilities as efficiently as possible.

Not only that, the theme song just rocks. It's another addition to my list of theme songs I'll never get out of my head. "HE'S THE FASTEST THING ALIVE" gives me that good feeling and it's just more enjoyable than the previous Sonic theme I already covered up. ....Overall, best Sonic TV theme IMO.

Hints on the next upcoming pair:

Another instrumental piece from that movie that features everyone's favorite cult god.

SHHHHHHHHRRRRRRPP

• Like 1

34. Fairytale / Shrek

This looks like a stretch now, but well...what I've put for #34 stays at #34, for now. This score from Shrek pretty much proves to me that Shrek can have an exceptionally good track outside of its pop culture tracks from the likes of Smash Mouth, Joan Jett, and a Leonard Cohen song made popular by Jeff Buckley, which is sung by John Cale, only to be covered by Rufus Wainwright, who sings John's Cale's cover of a Leonard Cohen song while taking inspiration from Jeff Buckley. Oh, and we get Smash Mouth again with a hint of The Monkees.

There's something so charming about this instrumental that I have to put this one on my list. Every time that score pops up during the movie, I can feel the utter catchiness and just feel fascinated with how it sounds. It's relaxing, suspenseful, and most of all, it sounds really iconic. At least until for a long while, this is my last instrumental track on the countdown.

33. Ripped Pants / Spongebob Squarepants

I hope you guys enjoy listening to this song straight out of a potato cam. Also, this would be the last Spongebob song until for a long while as well. Not much of a big fan of yellow sponges with acoustic guitar songs, but this one stands out...oh wait.

To start out with why I admire this song, I like how the creators are going with the Hawaiian vibe for one of Spongebob's original songs. Also, there's no turning away from Spongebob's vocal transition through the singing talent of Peter Strauss. Now, what else to say? It's catchy, even though it's practically short. Like Sandy says, the song is true: if you want to be someone's friend, just be yourself.

In end note, it's a very good song before wrapping up a Spongebob episode. In terms to the song's similarities to another, now I ought to listen to some Beach Boys...

Hints for what's coming up, and don't worry, I won't put this list on indefinite holds again:

Guess what? I'm not done with Nickelodeon themes

Plenty of good theme songs from the same series that I had to roll them into one rank.

32. Invader Zim Theme

Dat chord at the beginning. Dose industrial beats. Dat orchestration. Dat animation. DAT EVERYTHING. And it's my #32. Believe me, some of my next theme song picks are probably embarrassing if I'm ranking this theme that high. To be brutally honest, I haven't seen enough of Invader Zim to get myself into that phase.

The theme song is awesome. What do you expect from what would be proclaimed to be one of the most expensive Nicktoons to produce? Reason two, the instrumental piece gives a well-suited mood for the Invader Zim concept. Reason three, this is easily one of the most memorable theme songs from the Nicktoons line-up, even though I spent most of my childhood with IZ leaving the TV on and zoning out from the show.

Oh, and do I think Invader Zim should be brought back? I don't care, but I can accept the show's fate from ages ago than try and turn it into a franchise zombie. That and Firefly are probably so much classic as solid gold to revive anyway. Bottom line, the cartoon is great, though I have to catch up, and the theme song is incredible.

31. ANY English Pokemon Themes / ....the first 9 seasons with a hint of Season 17

And because they're internationalized, I'm making them count for my list. Oh boy, where do I start? Since I strictly have a likely for the 10 theme songs before Season 10 (and after the last part of the Unova saga for good luck), here's how I'd rank them:

10. X and Y

9. Battle Frontier

8. Orange Islands

7. Advanced

6. Master Quest

5. Johto Champions

4. Advanced Battle

3. Advanced Challenge

2. The Original

1. Johto Journeys

The first Pokemon might as well be the anthem for all the 90's kids out there. Heck, just about any Pokemon fan you come across knows this theme. It helps that I grew up that theme as well. The Orange Islands theme doesn't do as much justice for me but it's still memorable and energetic. Johto Journeys has the enough energy and ear candy to become my all-time favorite Pokemon theme and it never gets any old. Johto Champions is another contender with its inherited catchiness and its headstrong personality. Master Quest isn't as better as the other two IMO, but it's still uplifting and rocking.

Now for the Advanced line-up, the first one still manages to keep its charm. I wish it made longer while I still prefer the Japanese version. Advanced Challenge shows how better things were getting and manages to become catchier than the latter theme. Advanced Battle was one theme I got obsessed with for its sheer catchiness regardless of being a spot lower than Challenge. Then came Battle Frontier which replaced David Rolfe with another singer, followed by some other replacements. The ninth theme showcases its cheesiness but still has that charm.

I miss David Rolfe....still. The themes from Season 10 onward, IMO, don't do any justice for me. The lyrics I skim through are those type of words that I would find out of a cat poster. ("Brave and strong, together we will be...") ("But deep inside you know you're strong, you'll follow your heart...") ("We are together now, friends forever now...") That and destiny, destiny, and more destiny, to where I think it was losing its meaning. Then again, double standards say that the past themes have shared some cheesiness as the newer themes. ....Then came the X and Y theme, which really lives up for me, spite the rehashing of the original.

Hints for the next ones:

He's a wizard, but he doesn't kick butt in Double Dragon

Hyena Holocaust

Oh and Bubblerock, I'm sorry to say that I haven't come across Drawn Together songs before finalizing my list.

• Like 1

Okay, the first hint was a lie. The song I will introduce eventually has been upgraded a good amount of spots. Heck, I've done a good amount of rearranging with the Top 30. :P

30. Be Prepared / The Lion King

There's no better way to start the top half of this list than with this Lion King song. With one more Lion King song to go after this, I will assure you that my next one is a surefire guilty pleasure honor while also being an embarrassing one to boot. So here is yet another good villain song.

The mood from this song is set from ominous beats, a suave tone that increases to show Scar's sincerity and evil pompousness. The perfect mood is very much set here from Jim Cummings' talent to portray Scar's voice to the hyenas and their growing ambition into the musical number. For something done so skillfully, I'm not a big fan of this song. I could even rank "He Lives In You" slightly higher than this if I could.

The fact that we still have the delivery from the three main hyenas and Scar in this song also quite sells. Bottom line, this is a very good way to compose a dark musical number with the growing ambition and the intensity of the characters' evil personality being done so well.

29. Me Myself and I / Phineas and Ferb

This is only one minute long and I can't get enough of it! That's how far I'd go into ranking this song. For any occasion, I see myself going back into listening to this song, and I see myself listening to this song any more times as possible.

For a song that gives too many first-person references and metaphors into the lyrics for its own good, it makes sense and lives up for the the rest of the song for the catchiness that makes this song seem so addicting to me that it never gets old, and I mean it certainly does not get old.

Also, Ashley Tisdale shows off a lot for her vocal ability in this song. That voice she has goes well the instrumental work that helps with the song's production. And that's how much I could cover up for this one, but still, it's a minute long.

Hints for the next couple of songs:

It's a rollercoaster ride out there somewhere, and OMJ lives there.

IN AMERICA.

• Like 1

28. Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride / Lilo & Stitch

And now it's come down to that type of "song that makes you feel like you're at the beach," that type of musical number in a nutshell. It's something I would expect from the movie's cultural heritage and the song is obviously done right among other certain Disney songs that are given that "poppy" sound (Or somewhat relating to a pop sound).

In other words, the song stays true to the movie's setting's cultural background and Disney doesn't fail to get into that routine....moving on, I seem to like just about anything that this song does, having a children's choir to boot as an example.

Also, since I've ran out of things to say about this, I'll go ahead and leave it with how I can describe Hawaiian Rollercoaster Ride: simply relaxing, fun, the ukulele makes things better.

27. Liberty's Kids Theme

Do you guys remember that one show that would play after Kids WB on the weekends, letting you know that the block is over when this particular show comes on? Yeah, this theme song is ranked higher than most of the Pokemon themes combined, bite me.

Oh god, this theme song....for something that has Aaron Carter's involvement, I think it is just superb. One thing to point out, this never left my head. Second of all, I seem to like this theme song when I hear it coming up. Third, I would have the nerve to have this replayed when I stumble upon it on Youtube occasionally.

Of course, there's a lot more of how I can praise this theme song: the catchiness is proven due to the fact that it doesn't leave my head, the American vibe is there, mostly from Aaron Carter's incoming (rap?) verse, and it's beautifully sung, courtesy of the co-lead singer.....Kayla Hinkle. While I don't think this theme is the best, but how can I see it any other way? I'm looking at effort through my own eyes.

Have some more hints:

Life is like a hurricane....

It all begins with a stamp and a book.

• Like 1

26. DuckTales Theme

Here's the big one. The bane of almost every other catchy animated theme song's existence. The one song that is claimed to "NEVER leave your head." And you know, I do use the words "catchy" and "leave, head" a bunch admittedly. Since terminoob and others are not currently here to remind me that I ought to use somebody else to form a joke, I'll say that the Nostalgia Critic is one of or technically the first to state that DuckTales is always going to go on our heads.

You think you're trying to answer the questions on your math test, but nope. All you're thinking about is *theme song.* You think you're playing basketball with your teammates, but nope all you're thinking about is- Okay okay, onto the real review through my own thoughts.

NC is right though, once I looked back onto the DuckTales theme, it's really slipped into my mind now, but it wasn't too extreme. The things it does to get you obsessed with it is why I like this theme song: the melody, the trumpets, the increasing power of the singing voice of Jeff Pescetto, the creative input in the lyrics, so much of it. I wouldn't say it's the catchiest of all theme songs once I review the next few. Simply put, it has all the charm to become one of the most memorable theme songs.

25. Ain't Got Rhythm / Phineas & Ferb

So, what nice things do I have to say for this one? He's got rhythm - Sherman, in particular. Almost all songs from "Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together" fits in the book of admirable animated songs and this tune is the ultimate contender, next to "Danny's Story" IMO.

The way they put in more possible sound and rhythmic material is the charm that I can see in this song. This song also swings the mood efficiently when the character Sherman gets more into the rhythm while the entire library forms a mob to fill in the excitement as the musical number keeps going.

It's a fine example of power progression too, you got Sherman who feels who doesn't have rhythm and by the end he realizes that he has the music in him to join the band again. And yeah, that's all I could really say here. Yet another great Phineas & Ferb tune.

Next two hints:

Thought DuckTales was too much of an invasion towards your mind? Think again. This time, this isn't from Disney Afternoon.

The most popular animated song currently.

24. The Snorks Theme

Spoiler

Before I go on praising this, The Snorks was varied with three different opening themes. "Come Along With the Snorks," which took place during Season 3, is the theme I'm mainly discussing and it's considered as the more signature song. Also, since The Snorks' 30th anniversary happened about 11 days ago, this seems like a good time to commemorate that milestone.

This is perhaps one of many of the most obscure examples of good theme songs. It's apparently been a long while since I've seen an episode of the The Snorks. While it somewhat has a cult following, a pretty small one, I would go down to saying that this is one of the catchiest theme songs of all time.

Back when I would be watching Boomerang around 8 years ago, I remembered a show called The Snorks and that it had this really happy, melodic, opening tune. Coming across this on Youtube, I felt impressed by how it sounded. My thoughts on this got better when I decided to watch a good amount of Snorks episodes.

The stinger? This is my THIRD favorite theme song, a big personal favorite. I love this theme song, the surf music vibe, the jolly tone, the dancey undertones, it's just pure catchiness, just like DuckTales. So, what are my last two favorite theme songs? Find out next time on Dragon Ball-Z!

23. Let it Go / Frozen

Spoiler

Little known fact: this is the newest inclusion to my list, coming out just last year. The most popular animated musical number at the time being and this is where it stops.

When I first heard the actual version of this song, (Demi's was good too) I was impressed, astounded, filled with amazement. This was a huge piece of effort, in my eyes. Then it got tiring for some people, but I still got into it.

And I'm still into it because I like how it was beautifully composed and beautifully sung (by Idina Menzel no less), with a beautifully crafted animated scene to fill in the enjoyment. I just feel inspired and empowered when I take the time to listen to this song. It helps after the second chorus, the feeling that you get where the song is just getting better.

Though, I'll admit that this isn't Disney's best and its overstayed with its popularity. Doesn't stop me from adoring this song for its divine structure and all of the other nice things I've said about it.

So, what songs are better than Let it Go? For the next pair out of the 22, here's a couple of hints:

Apparently, the 90's had a Bruno Mars.

We're gonna tie the world together....

• Like 1

Let It Go does not stand well alone as a song without Frozen. I love Frozen but when I think of Let It Go all I think of is Frozen. Doesn't mean Let It Go is bad. Not at all.

Reindeers Are Better Than People though is fantastic and deserves more praise.

22. I 2 I / Goofy Movie

Spoiler

Powerline to me is "a little less Tevin Campbell, a little more Bruno Mars." Speaking of Tevin, I am not mistaken that he is the one who does the singing and he is incredible with it. It's also amazing how Disney can make pop music really sound like pop music.

What can I say? This song is fantastic in so many ways. It's the perfect climax, it's an excellent example of power pop as it has a lot of energy to even get anybody moving, Tevin shows a lot of talent with his vocals, the animation makes things even better, and of course, Goofy's face at 1:07 never gets old.

And that's everything. That's just how I love my power pop songs, even for one from "The Goofy Movie." As for the movie, the way I ranked this helps by the fact that this movie was part of my childhood. Heck, it came out when I was practically 11 days old.

21. A-G-L-E-T / Phineas & Ferb

Spoiler

And here's some more pop power with this one. I'm guilty enough to rank this higher than everything else that I've already discussed.

I'm not usually a big fan of "repetitive songs," but I can see the point of repetition in this song, looking into the main basis of the episode from where this song comes from. Aglet is a proclaimed forgotten word so Phineas and Ferb decided to spread the word to everybody in the tri-state area and make them realize that the word is too important to forget, which makes sense of what the song talks about with "A-G-L-E-T. Aglet! Don't forget it!"

Of course, there's also "We're gonna tie the world together" dragged into it, as well as Candace having a soft verse. And any other lyrics that I didn't mention. It has repetition, but the chorus seems to last longer than what the rest of the song is made out of.

So, it's interesting to see Vincent Martella do more singing in the show, I really like the production of this song, Ashley Tisdale still sells it, it's repetitive, but oh so catchy, meaningful, and to the point...and that's it.

Hints for the first two of the Top 20:

This time, it's the song with the wizard.

Dishonor on your whole family. Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!

• Like 1

20. Reflection / Mulan

Spoiler

(Ignore the vintage WMM captions, that's actually Lea Salonga doing the singing) And now this is the part of the list that I'd like to call the "You guys should totally get these on your iTunes Library" bracket. Speaking of Lea Salonga, she never fails as Mulan with this song, as she never failed before with Jasmine and "A Whole New World."

The biggest compliment I can give is really the voice. It's just so harmonic and remarkably...compassionate, especially when it comes to the mood shifts. It feels perfect enough for a Mulan song. It's got the perfect voice, the perfect setting-wise sound. The emotions are a little over the top, but bravo I say!

Yet another good job well done from Disney, even if more outstanding. Anyways, next song.

19. Daffy Duck the Wizard / The Looney Tunes Show

Spoiler

Everything about this song breathes the word 'awesome.' The animation, the daydream background built around Daffy's character (before shifting to his real perspective), the singing voice. This just gives me proof that there's things that are good about 2011 in terms of the animation industry.

Apparently, this is coming from a guy who's barely watched enough of this Looney Tunes reboot. (I first heard of this song through Jjs, mind you) So why isn't this ranked any higher? ....It just isn't. If I'd make some changes, I would upgrade this song's rank, but I'll leave it right here.

Bottom line, I'm just in love with this song as well as the other 18 songs that overtake this one. Need I say more? I summed everything up about how awesome this Merrie Melodies track is, so there.

Hints on the next pair of songs:

I'm a strong woman, fast talking, big bad dog walking....

IIIII JACK! THE PUMPKIN KING!

• Like 1