• Advertisement

Another Keynote

Ron

Hello, everybody! :)

Around six months ago, we introduced Teams. Just last week, it was launched and users were able to get their hands on this crisp new feature for the first time. Today, we are unveiling Teams 2. However, before we get to that, I'd like to share a few updates with you! :)

The Community has recently clambered back up to its position it was at exactly a year ago. We've been tracking daily posting and logins, as well as how many people are actually posting. What we've seen was great! Let me show you just a few numbers from this time last year:

July 1, 2011

User Logins: 43 Members

At Least 20 Users Posting? Yes

Total Posts: 360 Posts

July 2, 2011

User Logins: 42 Members

Total Posts: 297 Posts

July 3, 2011

User Logins: 43 Members

Total Posts: 413 Posts

July 4, 2011

User Logins: 39 Members

Total Posts: 431 Posts

July 5, 2011

User Logins: 46 Members

Total Posts: 1,064 Posts

Now take a look at our numbers a year later:

July 1, 2012

User Logins: 35 Members

Total Posts: TBA

July 2, 2012

User Logins: 29 Members

Total Posts: 290 Posts

July 3, 2012

User Logins: 33 Members

Total Posts: 304 Posts

While these numbers are lower than last year's, you can see that they're a vast improvement over what we've experienced in the past year and are steadily getting better. As of right now, all of our efforts from the past months are finally coming together to fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, and it couldn't have come at a better time: summer! Over the next few months, our advertising initiative will begin having a positive affect on SBC, a new system is being enacted on the site to help improve our user-staying rate, and an entirely new product, which will be elaborated upon today, will assist the site's activity. Overall, we have three different mechanisms that will work together, like gears spinning, to press activity into SBC. Now, without further ado, let's talk about Teams 2!

Teams 2 will feature several updates, such as more information under "Team Stats." This will include things like Best Warrior (based on amount of battle started), Most Runes, Most Energy, Most Donations, and more. An entirely new feature called Sparks will be making its debut, which automatically notifies you about things, such as when someone has started a battle with you. Both of these things will be packaged into Team 2. However, that isn't the highlight of the update. When we introduced Teams 1.0, we promised another side to Teams. What side was that?

k32jb.png

Roleplay!

8oAGW.png

The roleplay half of Teams allows for a more COMPLETE, enhanced Teams experience. One thing that will be making its debut is personas. What are personas? Build yourself! You can be anything you'd like; a troll, a wizard, you can even be a piece of crap if you really wanted to! Such things as fashionable armor will be available in the Team Store, which can help keep you safe in battle. If, for example, you're a wizard, you may purchase spells, among other things. Spells can do numerous things; for example, the Freeze Spell will freeze your opponent so that you may attack! With these new features, this creates a new platform for the actual Teams. Team Leaders will be able to have more control, along with their Teams. True battling will begin. A Team Leader may declare war on the other team, at which time users will battle individually; each GN/KK accounts for a percentage of their respective Team. When they die, it takes that percentage out of the team. This allows for better and more intimate warfare, as well as something that's more realistic. It's powerful, flexible, and fun.

CCZBT.png

We will also be emphasizing the actual roleplaying part of it. Besides Team Battles, what else is there to do on Teams? Well, there's this!

The Good Noodles and Krusty Krusher (Good Noodlia and Krustacia respectfully) will be broken up into provinces, and inside those provinces are threads that represent places within the land. For example, you may need certain ranks and items to enter a province. This adds a certain flare to Teams and allows you to play your own individual game within Teams. This is versatile in that it's changeable; it can be set in a futuristic setting, a jungle, a medieval time period, anything! Teams 2 really takes us to new heights. Just a concluding side note: you will get 500d of that person's doublooons when you kill somebody in Teams 2.

:)

Now, onto our next product.

I've been looking forward to this day for a while now. For the past few weeks, we have been working closely with the SpongeBob SquarePants Wiki. This Wiki is the number one fansite when you Google, "Spongebob." Basically, if what you Google is SpongeBob-related, this site will pop up. We've partnered with them and will be integrating with them shortly to create an all new ecosystem of SpongeBob. We noticed that the SpongeBob fanbase has become less and less concentrated, largely losing out to MLP:FiM. We decided to study them, and see what made MLP:FiM so popular. The Brony Community formed largely online, and we feel we can duplicate that with SpongeBob. Season 8 has been amazing, and we need to spread the word about that.

Thus SpongeBob Universe is born. This will be a new site that ties together this ecosystem we are building. All three sites will be integrated tightly to the point where it almost seemed to build one super-site. SBC and the Wiki will integrate in ways you soon will see, and SBU will integrate back. Now, what will SBU do, though? In a sense, it's like a SpongeBob fan's paradise. The latest episodes will be posted there (like how all of MLP:FiM is on YouTube), airdates, automatic email updates, a fanlisting that once you register for will automatically give you an account on SBC, automatic SpongeBob news from a bot that scopes the web for that sort of news, giveaways, and more. A fourth site will also be included: SpongeHolly's SpongeBobness website, which will soon be hosted on SBC's servers.

All of this will be rolled out within the coming months!

:D

We noticed that the SpongeBob fanbase has become less and less concentrated, largely losing out to MLP:FiM. We decided to study them, and see what made MLP:FiM so popular. The Brony Community formed largely online, and we feel we can duplicate that with SpongeBob. Season 8 has been amazing, and we need to spread the word about that.

...What? Spongebob became a laughingstock in the mainstream community far before the Bronies existed. Spongebob didn't "lose to MLP". The fanbase began to break up in 2007, which was 3 or 4 years before MLP even began to hit the airwaves. Also, Bronies exist for one of two reasons:

1- They think the shock value of liking a show for girls will make them seem cool, or

2-They genuinely think it's a good show. So they watch and discuss it.

MLP was an overnight sensastion thing. It'll be kinda hard to do that with Spongebob, since he's already estalished to be..... well, "not good" in the eyes of many.

Otherwise, everything looks freaking amazing, especially the Spongebob Universe and Teams 2. Nice work. Way to think big, Tvguy. :lol:

...What? Spongebob became a laughingstock in the mainstream community far before the Bronies existed. Spongebob didn't "lose to MLP". The fanbase began to break up in 2007, which was 3 or 4 years before MLP even began to hit the airwaves. Also, Bronies exist for one of two reasons:

1- They think the shock value of liking a show for girls will make them seem cool, or

2-They genuinely think it's a good show. So they watch and discuss it.

MLP was an overnight sensastion thing. It'll be kinda hard to do that with Spongebob, since he's already estalished to be..... well, "not good" in the eyes of many.

Otherwise, everything looks freaking amazing, especially the Spongebob Universe and Teams 2. Nice work. Way to think big, Tvguy. :lol:

And a lot of fans who were previously on the SpongeBob boat are now on the MLP:FiM boat. Even if we didn't directly lose to them, a lot of our fanbase is now in the other camp. We studied what made that show an overnight sensation, and now we are going to give SpongeBob the same tools to accomplish this. The circumstances are perfect: episodes getting back to the same quality, new movie coming, less sporadic airing times. That's the goal of this; to restore his image so that SpongeBob SquarePants as a show ISN'T "not good" in the eyes of many. :)

But Spongebob was an overnight sensation. With the audience he now appeals to (kids) he still is. But, for the internet fandom, most of that has died down. Is it possible to recreate that success? ...With all the stuff you're doing, it might be possible. But, I digress. I really look forward to the new members we will be recieving with the SBU and Wiki stuff. It sounds awesome.

Also:

less sporadic airing times

lolno

Wow I am really interested in the SBU. :o Sounds like something to look forward to. Especially the fact that we'll have new SB episode videos here. And Teams 2 sounds like tons of fun. I like the idea of personalizing and the battles. Hopefully we'll get more SpongeBobbies in the future.

But Spongebob was an overnight sensation.

Not true.

But, for the internet fandom, most of that has died down.

Also not true.

I'm an administrator of both the SpongeBob Wiki and its corresponding fanon wiki, and I can assure you that we're as active as ever. If you go on sites like YouTube, you can see that SpongeBob still has a devoted internet following, and it's obviously still a ratings success for its network..SBC's declining activity has nothing to do with a declining interest in SpongeBob, and it definitely has nothing to do with the growing interest in My Little Pony. SBC underwent a series of big changes in the last year, and it's only natural that they caused some shake-ups in the forum's activity. I think the idea of a coalition between the biggest SpongeBob sites on the internet is great, but if your only motivation is increased activity, I don't see it panning out well at all.

Not true.

Also not true.

I'm an administrator of both the SpongeBob Wiki and its corresponding fanon wiki, and I can assure you that we're as active as ever. If you go on sites like YouTube, you can see that SpongeBob still has a devoted internet following, and it's obviously still a ratings success for its network..SBC's declining activity has nothing to do with a declining interest in SpongeBob, and it definitely has nothing to do with the growing interest in My Little Pony. SBC underwent a series of big changes in the last year, and it's only natural that they caused some shake-ups in the forum's activity. I think the idea of a coalition between the biggest SpongeBob sites on the internet is great, but if your only motivation is increased activity, I don't see it panning out well at all.

That isn't our only motivation. In fact, our goal is to concentrate the fan base. I like many of your points, but the fact is, MLP:FiM's fanbase is incredibly concentrated. SpongeBob's isn't, and we can make it concentrated. Either way, we can learn from the MLP:FiM fanbase, which is what we're doing.

Another goal is to simply create a wonderful SpongeBob ecosystem, which at this point, doesn't exist.

So, no, our only goal isn't to improve activity.

Not true.

Also not true.

Oh, hey, JCM. I'm a regular dude that regularly goes on forums that have nothing to do with Spongebob. ;) It makes sense that on a Wiki dedicated to Spongebob has a dedicated following. Around the entire internet (TV Tropes, YouTube, even Facebook and Twitter, etc.) Spongebob is popular, but that teenager-early adult audience the show used to have is pretty much gone now. All of them seem content going to YouTube making those moronic comments about how Post-Movie is terrible.

Spongebob's dedicated following is not everywhere. You'll find (on forums that aren't Spongebob related) that Spongebob topics on forums usually devolve into mindless hatred for the Sponge. Spongebob's following is dedicated, but not as much as it was. Back then, Spongebob being criticized was this very rare thing. Nowadays, most people won't even blink at it. Also, I don't think I said anything about SBC's declining activity. There's no denying that Spongebob's underground fanbase all over the internet has decayed a bit lately.

And, perhaps you have me beat on the overnight sensation thing. Sorry if this sounded a tad harsh, but there isn't any denying that the fanbase hasn't been a bit weaker lately. It's getting better, but it's not as good as it once was. That isn't "not true". That's the entire reason tvguy was doing this in the first place. To fix SB's reputation around the entire internet. I agree with you on the MLP points, though.

Wait, post the latest episodes? I have an idea that copyright infrigement will be hard to avoid.

This. The reason MLP gets all it's lastest episodes on Youtube is because The Hub thinks it's free advertising. Viacom wouldn't allow new SpongeBob episodes to get uploaded to Youtube.