• Advertisement

243b. The Ballad of Filthy Muck

Jjs Goodman

Episode Rating  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• 5/5 Muck: Alright, you can stay if you clean up your act.
    • 4/5 Muck: I'm going to call you Filthy Muck!
    • 3/5 Muck: Oh, the poor repulsive pile of sludge...
    • 2/5 Muck: And don't come back until you clean up your act!
    • 1/5 Muck: How unsavory.

So, I was expecting this to be terrible to the point of possibly being bottom 25. But...... this wasn’t even bad, surprisingly. However, I still didn’t like it. The episode is for the most part very forgettable and pretty bland. It’s mostly just Patrick (well, Patrick and who you think is Patrick) being gross and covered in trash for a while, and while it’s not too gross (despite a few gross parts), it’s still pretty bland.  Additionally, this episode just feels really stupid too, like Nitwitting but to a lesser extent.

However, I did like the twist ending where it turns out Filthy Muck isn’t actually Patrick, and that Patrick had in fact taken a bath so he could continue going to the krusty krab. I really didn’t see that coming, and I love when a twist I don’t expect at all happens. The twist makes sense too, as you never hear Filthy Muck speak nor see Patrick transform into filthy muck or see any pink from the filthy muck. 

As another side note, I do think they wasted an oppurtunity to make this another tidal zone episode (as I really like the tidal zone ending thing). Considering the twist ending, and the fact that Rube was in this, it was the perfect oppurtunity to make this a tidal zone episode, but they didn’t do it for some reason.

4/10

• Like 2

Not gonna lie, this episode was... actually not bad. Going in with low expectations, I actually liked this episode more than I expected to. Even then, I don't think this is the best episode out there. While I did like some of the gags here and there, there were still a few issues with lacking humor in some parts. There were a few dumb parts I wasn't entirely fond of (and lmao, considering how I felt about last week's episode I might as well like every dumb joke in the whole show but whatever) and the ending was kind of... odd (although it does serve as a good twist looking back) but this one sure did subvert my expectations.

6/10 (OK episode)

HORRENDOUSLY overdue statement from yours truly, this was an episode segment that by all rights, had practically no RIGHT to be as good as it was! o.o After all, it recycled plot elements from "Something Smells; The Battle of Bikini Bottom;" and "No Pictures, Please!"; and it was a Patrick-centered episode...until you get to the twist-ending near the end, when we find out that the second half of the episode WASN'T centered around Patrick, it was actually centered around Spongebob! Even though this episode kind of flip-flopped on the idea that Spongebob was a certified neat freak as seen in "The Battle of Bikini Bottom" (or it could be that Spongebob experienced character development since then); anyways, this episode proved that even if you DO have recycled elements from past episodes, you can STILL put a fresh spin on them; the young newspaper fish (not seen since season one!), and the photographer from "No Pictures, Please!" appearing again was a nice continuity nod (and in retrospect, REALLY should have clued us in to the twist ending coming in at the end!) Of course, it actually WAS surprising to find out that Patrick WASN'T Filthy Muck, and also a relief to find out that Filthy Muck actually MANAGED to survive getting cleaned! Also, for people who don't understand obscure, old movie actor references, the fish with the BIG, gigantic nose, was a reference to old-time movie actor Jimmy Durante, who was often parodied in old-time cartoons as having a gigantic nose! :hysterical: All in all, I'd give this episode an 8.8 out of 10. Enough said! :cool:

• Wow 1
  • God Himself 2

This one surprisingly worked decently. The grossness was actually nuanced. Patrick wasn't nearly as annoying as he could have been. It was kind of cute to see Filthy Muck and Spongebob's relationship, and the twist was interesting as well. I also really love the song. Way better than the cancerous song In Nitwitting. Also I found the OMJ running gags amusing somewhat. I don't have much to say, it oddly works decently. Not amazing, but watchable, and easily better than The Nitwitting and Farmerbob.

6/10

• Like 1