• Advertisement

Kanye West

Clappy

New album just dropped, was bored, thought I’d review it 

First things first- This barely classifies as a Hip-Hop album. Just barely. If you were expecting Kanye to return to the style of his original trilogy of Albums, you’ll be disappointed. Kanye doesn’t even really draw on any of his previous albums at all in “Yeezus”, really. It’s nothing like his original album trilogy with refreshing Hip-Hop and inventive beats. It’s nowhere near as vulnerable as his electro-pop opera, “808’s And Heartbreak”. And it certainly doesn’t have the same qualities as “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy”, mostly because it was made under different circumstances. “Fantasy” was an album that came after West was under constant scrutiny from the media after his stunt at the VMA’s along with other incidents. “Fantasy” was an album made to get West back in the limelight, a comeback album of sorts. Now that West has come back, however, he’s completely changed the game. Again.

As said before, this is just barely a Hip-Hop album. It’s a dark and different album, and mostly consists of ‘Ye spitting politically and racially charged lyrics over sparse beats and sometimes, just fuzzy synth lines. With production from people such as Daft Punk, though, that’s to be expected. Kanye still has some of his old habits though; Sampling is heavy throughout the album, such as “Blood On The Leaves”, which samples Nina Simone’s cover of “Strange Fruit” and “R U Ready” by TNIGHT, or “2 Bound”, which samples “Bound” from The Ponderosa Twins.

“Yeezus” is a good album, despite how different it is from Kanye’s previous work; in fact, it’s that difference that makes it so enjoyable. In contrast to Kanye’s full, soulful production, on “New Slaves” he raps to a minimalistic beat about early racism and how the world and it’s people are slaves to fashion and conformity. “On Sight” is just classic Kanye braggadocio (“Yeezy season’s approaching…A monster’s ‘bout to come alive again”) over a wavering synthesizer beat, brought to you by Daft Punk and Skrillex, and “Blood On The Leaves” gives one vibes of “808’s”, while the final track, “Bound”, is reminiscent of Kanye’s first album. The lyrical subjects Kanye handles on “Yeezus” are darker than what he’s done in the past (“I’m In It” is about getting Oral Sex from an Asian Nun, and there’s a hilariously racist line about sweet and sour sauce in there), but you can still expect the usual ‘Ye concepts too, like dealing with breakups and their outcomes, such as in “Blood On The Leaves”.

It’s not Kanye at his best, but it’s pretty close. With the newer, more abstract style of Hip Hop, he definitely scared off a few fans, but it’s a breath of fresh air because it’s so different from standard fare. And that’s why Yeezus is so good. Radically different, but good album.

Best tracks: New Slaves, Blood On The Leaves, Bound, On Sight

HURRY UP WITH MY DAMN CROISSANTS

• Like 2

It's not an entirely new thing, actually. Groups like Dalek and WWW have been doing that industrial hip hop shtuff for years now. Hell, i'd go as far to say some of the more abstract beats on the album give me Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire vibes. That being said, I do kinda dig/am bothered by that Kanye might bring it the mainstream. I'm somewhere between "YAY, MY TYPE OF SHIT IS POPULAR!" and "STAY OUT OF THE UNDERGROUND, SUN-SCUM!" But whatever. It's good music and i'm okay with that.

• Like 2