• Advertisement

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

70s

I just got back from watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; Part 1. And well, let me just go right out and say it. The movie was good, but it left out a lot of crucial information and important details. Time for a rant.

The Good:

-The special effects were amazing, which was the best thing about the movie. (Pardon the spoiler) Like the scene where Nagini pops up from Bathilda Bagshot's throat nearly made me piss myself. The visuals were beautiful and very realistic.

-The acting was very good too. You could really tell that Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson really threw themselves into this movie. Rupert Grint... eh, not so much. Ron started to get on my nerves a little. Surprisingly there were many comedic elements in the movie, which is rare for an HP film. Fred and George were hilarious, and seeing Daniel Radcliffe in a bra is something I will never forget.

-The actors they had chosen to play Death Eaters and minor characters were extremely accurate to their description in the books.

-There are parts in the movie that will make you tear up to high heaven, because I cried about three or so times in during the movie, and there wasn't a dry eye in the theater either.

The Not So Good:

The movie just doesn't even compare to the book. I mean, they got a lot of things wrong (Prepare yourself for some tiny spoilers).

-For instance; in the book, when Hermione and Harry go into Godric's Hollow, they used a good amount of Pollyjuice Potion. In the movie, they refused to do so.

-Bellatrix never tackled Hermione and scraped the word ''mudblood'' into her skin in the book.

-They completely left out the conversation that Dean, Griphook, Gornuk, and Ted were having in the woods (which Harry, Ron, and Hermione were listening in on).

-The Dursleys aren't supposed to leave until they get wind that The Order of The Phoenix is coming to get Harry, and when more Muggle killings were reported.

-After his confrontation with Umbridge, Harry (in the Pollyjuice Potion form of Ministry worker Albert Runcorn) is supposed to have ripped Mad Eye's eye off the socket in her door and bury it.

-The book is supposed to open up right to Snape, Yaxley, and Lucius Malfoy walking into Malfoy's mansion, the HQ of Lord Voldemort. Instead, it shows the Dursleys leaving and other events happening in Ron, Harry, and Hermione's point of view.

-Wormtail is supposed to have strangled himself with his metal arm and Harry should've attempted to pull the arm away from the man's throat. Instead, Dobby knocks him out with the Stupefy spell and sets the others free from the cellar Bellatrix had locked them in (If you wanna know why, then I suggest checking YouTube or your local theater or bookstore).

Feel free to tell me I'm being a nitpick, but I'm sorry. It's just that I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, and a lot of these moments were very crucial in the book and movie.

Comedy isn't rare for HP films.

They all had bits of them, but the last three (this one, Half Blood Prince and Order of the Phoenix) were all really funny.

I'll say what I said on another forum where someone also complained about this movie: You can't expect them to add everything. If they did, it'd be even longer than it already was, and at that point it'd just be better to make it long enough to contain the entire book. It'd be boring if they did a movie from a book line for line. You read the book already, why should it matter? You know what happened and what's going on already; they only include what's absolutely necessary, so people like me who didn't read the books know what's going on without having all these plots intertwine, since it's easier to go back and re-read something if it confuses you, but you can't do that in a movie unless it's on a DVD (and they tweak a few things here and there, like Headwig's death, for example).

More often than not, the movie WAS accurate to the book for what it covered. During the movie (when I saw it with my older brother) I nit-picked at it a bit (having just read more than halfway through the book) but the movie did a very solid job! 125508.gif By the way, Dobby's death near the end was the saddest part in the whole movie, prepare to cry when you see that. 305752.gif I certainly shed a tear. 501358.gif

I am very annoyed. Many friends have informed me that while Dobby's death is all glammed up, poor Hedwig's death happens very quickly and no one even cares. 305752.gif
Yes, but it is somewhat like that in the book as well. Rowling pretty much just glosses over it, though a bit more than in the movie.

Yes, but it is somewhat like that in the book as well. Rowling pretty much just glosses over it, though a bit more than in the movie.
Oh, is it? I haven't read the book in so long! 428899.gif

No doubt I was fuming about that when I first read the book though. xD