• Advertisement

The Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs of All Time... and I'm Reviewing 'em All!

Sweat

490-481

Spoiler

490. Coldplay - "Clocks" [2002]

I am under no impression that Coldplay actually deserves the hate they get by people. There is practically nothing about them that is annoying or anything else that gives off a vibe that I could dislike. I like to pretend that I'm past the music nerd's phase of huge arena rock, but then songs like this come on, and I can't help myself. The piano riff that this song kicks off with never fails to excite me, and the entire song holds up. It's an extremely simple song, but Coldplay has always been at their best with straightforward tracks like this, and I would be totally willing to go to a huge stadium and see them in the most over-the-top and massive setting imaginable.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Undeniably, this is just too low for a song as grand as this one.

489. The Drifters - "Under the Boardwalk" [1964]

What the fuck? I expected this to be another milquetoast early 60s pop song, but then I clicked the video. I honestly thought it may have been some kind of bait-and-switch, because when I heard that intro, "Stand By Me" by Ben E. King popped in my head before anything else possibly could've. You'd think that were a good thing, but I think it only makes the song worse. That kind of instrumentation only sounds kitschy as hell when put behind a song this bland. These kinds of songs are basically the only thing that I find wrong about Rolling Stone's list, I just don't get it. I don't know, I guess you had to be there.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Not a chance. Don't expect me to say "yes" to anything like this.

488. The Cure - "Just Like Heaven" [1987]

Rolling Stone does not hide the fact that they get a kick out of mainstream music, so it's really refreshing to see groups like The Cure that give an alternative edge to the list. The Cure are an excellent band, so if I see more of them on this list, I'll be happy. That being said, this isn't one of their better songs. I mean, it's certainly good, but I'm not a fan of The Cure when they're all lush. I usually like songs of this sort, but I don't get why I would listen to it from The Cure when I have their darker output. Either way though, this song is still quite good, and it earned its spot here.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? It's The Cure, so my answer is going to be "yes" no matter what.

487. Alice Cooper - "I'm Eighteen" [1971]

Nothing beats 70s glam rock, lemme tell ya. I'm not nearly as experienced with Alice Cooper than I am with stuff like T. Rex and David Bowie, but I still like what I've heard from the guy. He's known by lots for giving a harder edge to glam, and that itself makes him worthy of his fame. This isn't really as anthemic as a lot of his other famous songs, but it's still a really good one.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yep.

486. David Bowie - "Young Americans" [1975]

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who dislikes David Bowie is probably lying to themselves. I mean, he's not the most consistent musician ever with how much ground he has covered, but at his best, he has created some of my favorite songs ever. This one isn't his best by any means, as it would probably not even make my top 15, but I still like it. It has a certain kind of smoothness to it that I never hear much in his music considering how much he loves being as over-the-top as possible. I doubt I'm going to say anything negative about a Bowie song that would be on this list.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? It's David fucking Bowie.

485. LaBelle - "Lady Marmalade" [1975]

Before I even listened to it, I knew that at the very least, it would be better than the cover version by Christinia Aguilera, Pink, Mya and Lil Kim in 2001. That was an instant plus in its favor. Thank God that when I actually listened to it, it was an awesome song on its own. Like I've said before, it's tough for me to hate on 70s disco and funk, so it's no surprise that I enjoy this song. There's a sense of control to it that the abysmal 2001 version didn't have, and that's probably what makes it succeed.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Absolutely.

484. Justin Timberlake - "Cry Me a River" [2002]

I wish I liked Justin Timberlake more than I do. He's certainly not bad, but there's just some quality about him that I'm not a fan of. Maybe it's just his general cockiness and the fact that his songs never hit me on a personal level, even his songs I adore i.e. "My Love". I do like plenty of his songs, but this one of the examples on why I can't sign off on him completely. Justin being all somber like this turns me off almost immediately. This song is just... boring; there's nothing going for it that excites or intrigues me. He's not the kind of artist who should be making this kind of music, and it's definitely one of the less good songs in his catalogue of hits.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Uhh, no. Out of all of his songs, why this one?

483. Jefferson Airplane - "White Rabbit" [1967]

I can't say I know anything about Jefferson Airplane outside of their two very big and obvious classics, but both songs deserve their fame in one way or another. This is the weaker one, though (the other one obviously being "Somebody to Love"). I think my problem with it is that it sounds kind of gimmicky. Something about how the song is structured sounds like some weird army song, and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. I don't know, it just doesn't really have a groove, but it's still an okay song. Its presence in psychedelic rock is enough for it to be on this kind of list.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, but it'd have to be pretty low.

482. Kelly Clarkson - "Since U Been Gone" [2004]

I cannot praise this song enough. I get why there are people who really don't like 2000s pop music, but if I give this song to them, they better say they like it. There are pop songs I like more from the decade, but there are very few that I can respect more. It's almost impossible to hear music like this anymore with how explosive it is. It's a grand statement to Kelly Clarkson's existence, and its placement being this low is utterly baffling. Does Rolling Stone just have more doo-wop songs to add?

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yes, yes, and most importantly: yes.

481. Rick James - "Super Freak" [1981]

I wish it weren't so tough to think of MC Hammer when you hear the intro to this song, but regardless, this is an insanely catchy song. I know next to nothing about Rick James, but I doubt he has any songs in him better than this one. I'm glad this list is feeding my love for funk and disco, because if I keep getting songs like this, it'll only get more fun from here. Plus, those are some goddamn messed up lyrics, and they give the song an even sleazier vibe than if it didn't have them.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Oh, you bet it does.

• Like 8

499. Definitely Weezer at their best.

498. Eh, not one of my favorite Rolling Stones songs. Give me Gimme Shelter or Paint It Black any day.

497. Just a beautiful song.

496. It's okay, I guess.

495. Copy and paste 498.

494. I'm not going to hate this song just because R. Kelly is bad as a person. That'd be like me hating Billie Jean for what Michael Jackson. It's a very smooth and slick party song.

493. I really like MGMT. They're a very eccentric group.

492. This is definitely one of disco's more iconic songs.

491. Not gonna lie, I still like this song.

490. I like Coldplay when they do more chill stuff like this and none of that EDM crap.

488. Not a big fan of this song, but it's still good.

487. I should really listen to more Alice Cooper.

486. It's David fucking Bowie. Anyways, this song is cool.

485. Miles better than its more popular cover.

484. Yeah, this is a pretty crappy Justin Timberlake song.

483. It's obviously no "Somebody to Love", but it's cool.

482. Clearly one of Kelly Clarkson's best songs.

481. It's Rick James, bitch. Of course it's good.

• Like 1

480 - 471

Spoiler

480. Beastie Boys - "Sabotage" [1994]

FUCK TO THE YES! I couldn't love this song any harder if I tried, and it's at least 450 spots too low. I've always liked these guys, but this is their magnum opus for sure. Never have they managed to rock out as hard as they did here. I mean, I've only listened to like 10 of their songs, but I could bet that they don't have anything as good as this. Plus, the insane video is just the icing on the cake. It's weird and full of action, which makes it the perfect accompaniment to a song this action-packed and fun.

Does it deserve to be in the top 500? You kidding me? This is top 50 material right here.

479. Foreigner - "I Want to Know What Love Is" [1984]

Ewwwwww, why this song? There's plenty of awesome cheesy 80s ballads, but I usually draw the line when it's something this limp. I mean, the chorus is fine, but the one thing that just makes me squirm about this song is that sickeningly bad intro. Whoever the lead singer is, he sounds like he's about to pass out. The rest of the song doesn't rebound either; the chorus, which is supposed to be something huge and grand, is way too over the top for the rest of the song. I feel bad for people who only know this when it comes to Foreigner, so if I keep my hopes up, I should see something like "Jukebox Hero" higher up on the list.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Take a guess.

478. The Strokes - "Last Nite" [2001]

I'm sure I may break a heart or two by saying this, but I never really liked The Strokes. I'm sure they try with their attempt at capturing that garage-rock sound, but they never get there. They're always too clean-cut musically to pull it off, and I'd rather go for The White Stripes to hear a good revival of this kind of rock. That being said, this is a song I do love. Not only is this song insanely catchy, but it's easily the closet I've ever heard these guys get to what they wanted. I mean, it's still not there yet, but I still really enjoy this, and I liked it from the very second that I heard it.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Oh yeah, totally.

477. The Smiths - "How Soon is Now?" [1985]

Hehehehe, aaaaauuuuugh. I've tried so hard to like The Smiths, but every time I try, I realize that Morrissey's an attention-whore with a voice that I don't even remotely like. Plus, jangly guitars have always been a big pet peeve of mine, so their general sound always puts me off for that reason, too. Their only good songs are the really big and well-known ones (which I can hopefully address later on in the list), and all of their album cuts range from mediocre to insulting. That being said, this is one of their well-known songs, and it is one that I don't mind it all. I mean, I don't love it, but I somewhat like it. The immediate thing that keeps me from disliking it is that it doesn't have the usual Smiths sound, and goes for something a lot more gothic. This is nothing short of a good thing, and it saves the song. In general, this would be in my top 5 songs of theirs, but that doesn't say all that much.

Does it deserve to be in the top 500? Yeah, I guess.

476. Aretha Franklin - "Do Right Woman - Do Right Man" [1967]

Huh... when I saw that an Aretha song was coming up, I expected it to be a bit more joyous. I guess that's my fault for only knowing "Respect" before this, but I was still kind of dumbfounded when I first played this song. I can't entirely see myself being a huge fan of Aretha doing more somber stuff, but regardless, this song is still good. I mean, it is Aretha, so me disliking a song of hers would probably freak out even me. Her voice is incredible, and this is obviously a very emotionally packed song.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Of course, it's Aretha.

475. The Supremes - "Where Did Our Love Go" [1964]

You know, with so many people talking about how the Supremes are legendary and such, I expected something less... boring. I'm sure I commit sacrilege just by saying that, but no matter how legendary this group was back then, I still just cannot go around the fact that this kind of song does absolutely nothing for me. I mean, it's better than some of the other chunks of absolute nothing this era gave us, but that doesn't say all that much.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Nope.

474. Van Morrison - "Into the Mystic" [1970]

Man, if there was any other style I'm dreading to have overtake this list besides early 60s cookie-cutter pop, it's going to be late 60s and 70s singer/songwriter music. Trust me, I don't find all of it boring, but songs like this give me the impression that this entire genre is very overrated. I've tried liking it, but if I have to hear any more Bob Dylan in my life, I'm not going to like it. This song is one of the better ones, though. It has a bit more orchestration than some of the blander stuff in this genre, which I do like.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? If it were as low as this, I don't mind.

473. Guns n' Roses - "Welcome to the Jungle" [1987]

This is one of those really polarizing bands, and I can tell why. Those who love them are totally devoted, and those who hate them see them as everything wrong with metal in the 80s. I don't think they are very good, but the utter hatred of them by some people doesn't seem all too justified. They're pretty harmless compared to other crappy acts of the same era, and this is an okay song. Hell, all of their songs I've heard is okay, but this is one of the better sides of okay. I mean, I hate Axl's voice like any normal person should, but the rest of the song is whatever.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Depends on my mood, really.

472. Del Shannon - "Runaway" [1961]

Do I need to say anything, really? More bland early 60s crap, except added with that infuriatingly annoying "WAH WAH WAH WAH" thing that Del adds to the song. Other songs I mentioned before and on the meh side of bad, this is just straight-up terrible.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Hell, not even a top 1000.

471. Cheap Trick - "Surrender" [1978]

I've only heard a few Cheap Trick songs besides this one, but they're all pretty awesome. This one is also fucking awesome. I don't know much about power pop, but if it's at all as awesome as this song, then I'll take it! I'm dumfounded by how good and catchy this song is, honestly. It's probably my favorite song in the list so far where this project made my first listen to it possible. Or who knows, maybe I've listened to it before, but it's definitely fresh to my ears right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Benthekid said:

Spoiled because I know Number 1 on the list

Reveal hidden contents

I think it's relatively common knowledge what number one, but thanks for not spoiling it for those who don't know.

5 hours ago, flatthefish said:

I think it's relatively common knowledge what number one, but thanks for not spoiling it for those who don't know.

Too late, I clicked, and I am vastly disappointed it's not "Sk8r Boi" by Avril Lavigne.

• Like 4

470 - 461

Spoiler

470. The Four Tops - "Standing In the Shadows of Love" [1966]

Well damn, this isn't the average 60s pop tune, and thank god. This is my first Four Tops song ever, but I assume that it's as good of an introduction as any. I was mindblown by how fantastic the production is on this, and it's what makes the song as great and catchy as it is. I can't say much else, but yeah, it's a great song, especially compared to what I expected it to be.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Of course!

469. The Beatles - "Rain" [1966]

Well damn, it took this long for the list to get to the Beatles? I know we're only 30-ish songs in, but since R. Kelly and Kelly Clarkson (hehe) came before these guys, that's something interesting. This song isn't even close to my favorite Beatles song, but it's still quite good. It has that kind of hippy chillness that a lot of their music had at this point now that they were basically done with being a boy band, and it's as good as you would expect a Beatles song. Good production, good melodies, John Lennon's voice, all you really need.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? The Beatles.

468. The Staple Singers - "Respect Yourself" [1971]

On one hand, I totally love what this song tries to accomplish. It's essentially a song telling black people to... well, respect themselves, and for 1971, that's obviously a bold statement for a song. On the other hand, this song itself is lame as hell. The production's flat as hell, and it's not even remotely catchy. You could argue that the statement is what could make me give it a spot on this list, but I don't listen to music for the lyrics, so when a song doesn't sound good, I'm going to dismiss it no matter what.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? If this were about the top 500 most meaningful songs, duh. Otherwise, no.

467. Jay-Z feat. UGK - "Big Pimpin'" [1999]

It's not easy for me to hear a Jay-Z and think of it as less than good, but I don't know. I expected myself to enjoy this song, but there's something about it that I can't really hit on that keeps me from finding it all that great. Sure, I can call it good, but the only part I like is the second verse. Otherwise, the song is just too sparse; it's missing something important that I can't really identify. Hell, not even the hook is good. Hopefully, I get to see better Jay-Z songs further on in this list.

Does it deserve to be in the top 500? It's a big maybe/maybe not.

466. Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On" [2001]

There's no way in hell that I could say anything bad about this song. Everything about it works perfectly, and Missy is one of those characters in hip hop that we need around. It's so hard to find hip hop in the 2010s that's intentionally funny or wacky, so me listening to stuff like Missy is a total breath of fresh air. Plus, that music video is one of my favorites of the past 15 years, and it fits well with such an energetic and enjoyable song.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Hell, yeah!

465. Muddy Waters - "Rollin' Stone" [1948]

Yes, 1948. This is, by far, the oldest song that I've covered so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if very few songs before 1950 will be on this list. This is one that's entirely justified, though, as it's Muddy Waters. He was one of the very first respected blues guitarists, and yes, this song is literally just him and his guitar. That's not by an means a bad thing, and it makes the song much more authentic. It's a very lonely song, but I really enjoy that. You never really hear music like this today, since whenever someone's only using one instrument, it's usually just really shallow and pretends to be deep. This is real, though, and it hasn't aged a second. Plus, the title of the song probably helped it out with being on the list.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Oh, yeah.

464. Prince and the Revolution - "Kiss" [1986]

Okay, first of all, yes, this isn't the exact same song as the original version since Prince doesn't understand how music distribution should work, but this will do. Well... yeah, despite Prince's tragic death, I never had any real connection to his music. This song is merely okay. I like the main chorus, but Prince's annoying-as-hell voice on this song utterly ruins it. It's the main thing that kills the song for me, but everything else is fine enough. If someone else sung it, or even if Prince just sung it differenly, I'd definitely like it more. Right now, though? It's just an annoying song, I'm sorry. Rest in piece, though.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Ehh.....

463. Sam and Dave - "Soul Man" [1967]

Yet another song that's so classic, that I doubt I could say much bad about it. They say they are soul men, and they fucking prove it. Their singing is excellent, and the song itself is excellent. It makes me want to sing, it makes me want to dance, and it makes me feel guilty for not watching the Blues Brothers yet.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? You better believe it.

462. Nirvana - "All Apologies" [1993]

I feel bad for Nirvana, I really do. For the entire 90s, they were looked upon as total heroes, but at this point, they've gotten plenty of backlash by contrarians talking about unoriginal they are and how they didn't deserve to be famous. You know what I say to them, though? Fuck 'em! I don't care what anyone has to say about Nirvana anymore, I fucking adore them. All three of their albums are incredible, and the majority of their output is some of the best the 90s has to offer. And yes, this is one of their best songs. It has lots of angst like most of their song, but it helps to be just a really noisy-as-hell rock song produced by our lord and savior, Steve Albini. This is one of those songs that defined a decade, and I really do wish I was there to experience Nirvana-mania firsthand.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? I could say "yes" to every single Nirvana song with this question.

461. Ramones - "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" [1977]

They're the Ramones, bitch! I know it's cliche, but the one song they have in them is one of the best songs ever, so I could listen to any of their songs early-on and enjoy it. Each of their early songs is infectious hook after infectious hook, and it essentially sounds like noisier surf rock. I fucking love that, and this song is a no-brainer on if I enjoy it or not. God bless the Ramones for essentially kickstarting punk, and they deserve every ounce of praise they get. You just can't go wrong with this kind of music, unless you're some kind of buzzkill.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Heheheheheeheheh

From now on, I'm gonna rank the songs I cover in each post, so here's the ranking:

Spoiler

10. Prince and the Revolution - "Kiss"
9. The Staple Singers - "Respect Yourself"
8. Jay-Z feat. UGK - "Big Pimpin'"
7. The Beatles - "Rain"
6. Sam and Dave - "Soul Man"
5. The Four Tops - "Standing in the Shadows of Love"
4. Muddy Waters - "Rollin' Stone"
3. Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On"
2. Ramones - "Sheena is a Punk Rocker"
1. Nirvana - "All Apologies"

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, flatthefish said:

470 - 461

Hide contents

470. The Four Tops - "Standing In the Shadows of Love" [1966]

Well damn, this isn't the average 60s pop tune, and thank god. This is my first Four Tops song ever, but I assume that it's as good of an introduction as any. I was mindblown by how fantastic the production is on this, and it's what makes the song as great and catchy as it is. I can't say much else, but yeah, it's a great song, especially compared to what I expected it to be.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Of course!

469. The Beatles - "Rain" [1966]

Well damn, it took this long for the list to get to the Beatles? I know we're only 30-ish songs in, but since R. Kelly and Kelly Clarkson (hehe) came before these guys, that's something interesting. This song isn't even close to my favorite Beatles song, but it's still quite good. It has that kind of hippy chillness that a lot of their music had at this point now that they were basically done with being a boy band, and it's as good as you would expect a Beatles song. Good production, good melodies, John Lennon's voice, all you really need.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? The Beatles.

468. The Staple Singers - "Respect Yourself" [1971]

On one hand, I totally love what this song tries to accomplish. It's essentially a song telling black people to... well, respect themselves, and for 1971, that's obviously a bold statement for a song. On the other hand, this song itself is lame as hell. The production's flat as hell, and it's not even remotely catchy. You could argue that the statement is what could make me give it a spot on this list, but I don't listen to music for the lyrics, so when a song doesn't sound good, I'm going to dismiss it no matter what.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? If this were about the top 500 most meaningful songs, duh. Otherwise, no.

467. Jay-Z feat. UGK - "Big Pimpin'" [1999]

It's not easy for me to hear a Jay-Z and think of it as less than good, but I don't know. I expected myself to enjoy this song, but there's something about it that I can't really hit on that keeps me from finding it all that great. Sure, I can call it good, but the only part I like is the second verse. Otherwise, the song is just too sparse; it's missing something important that I can't really identify. Hell, not even the hook is good. Hopefully, I get to see better Jay-Z songs further on in this list.

Does it deserve to be in the top 500? It's a big maybe/maybe not.

466. Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On" [2001]

There's no way in hell that I could say anything bad about this song. Everything about it works perfectly, and Missy is one of those characters in hip hop that we need around. It's so hard to find hip hop in the 2010s that's intentionally funny or wacky, so me listening to stuff like Missy is a total breath of fresh air. Plus, that music video is one of my favorites of the past 15 years, and it fits well with such an energetic and enjoyable song.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Hell, yeah!

465. Muddy Waters - "Rollin' Stone" [1948]

Yes, 1948. This is, by far, the oldest song that I've covered so far, and I wouldn't be surprised if very few songs before 1950 will be on this list. This is one that's entirely justified, though, as it's Muddy Waters. He was one of the very first respected blues guitarists, and yes, this song is literally just him and his guitar. That's not by an means a bad thing, and it makes the song much more authentic. It's a very lonely song, but I really enjoy that. You never really hear music like this today, since whenever someone's only using one instrument, it's usually just really shallow and pretends to be deep. This is real, though, and it hasn't aged a second. Plus, the title of the song probably helped it out with being on the list.

464. Prince and the Revolution - "Kiss" [1986]

Okay, first of all, yes, this isn't the exact same song as the original version since Prince doesn't understand how music distribution should work, but this will do. Well... yeah, despite Prince's tragic death, I never had any real connection to his music. This song is merely okay. I like the main chorus, but Prince's annoying-as-hell voice on this song utterly ruins it. It's the main thing that kills the song for me, but everything else is fine enough. If someone else sung it, or even if Prince just sung it differenly, I'd definitely like it more. Right now, though? It's just an annoying song, I'm sorry. Rest in piece, though.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Ehh.....

463. Sam and Dave - "Soul Man" [1967]

Yet another song that's so classic, that I doubt I could say much bad about it. They say they are soul men, and they fucking prove it. Their singing is excellent, and the song itself is excellent. It makes me want to sing, it makes me want to dance, and it makes me feel guilty for not watching the Blues Brothers yet.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? You better believe it.

462. Nirvana - "All Apologies" [1993]

I feel bad for Nirvana, I really do. For the entire 90s, they were looked upon as total heroes, but at this point, they've gotten plenty of backlash by contrarians talking about unoriginal they are and how they didn't deserve to be famous. You know what I say to them, though? Fuck 'em! I don't care what anyone has to say about Nirvana anymore, I fucking adore them. All three of their albums are incredible, and the majority of their output is some of the best the 90s has to offer. And yes, this is one of their best songs. It has lots of angst like most of their song, but it helps to be just a really noisy-as-hell rock song produced by our lord and savior, Steve Albini. This is one of those songs that defined a decade, and I really do wish I was there to experience Nirvana-mania firsthand.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? I could say "yes" to every single Nirvana song with this question.

461. Ramones - "Sheena is a Punk Rocker" [1977]

They're the Ramones, bitch! I know it's cliche, but the one song they have in them is one of the best songs ever, so I could listen to any of their songs early-on and enjoy it. Each of their early songs is infectious hook after infectious hook, and it essentially sounds like noisier surf rock. I fucking love that, and this song is a no-brainer on if I enjoy it or not. God bless the Ramones for essentially kickstarting punk, and they deserve every ounce of praise they get. You just can't go wrong with this kind of music, unless you're some kind of buzzkill.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Heheheheheeheheh

From now on, I'm gonna rank the songs I cover in each post, so here's the ranking:

Reveal hidden contents

10. Prince and the Revolution - "Kiss"
9. The Staple Singers - "Respect Yourself"
8. Jay-Z feat. UGK - "Big Pimpin'"
7. The Beatles - "Rain"
6. Sam and Dave - "Soul Man"
5. The Four Tops - "Standing in the Shadows of Love"
4. Muddy Waters - "Rollin' Stone"
3. Missy Elliott - "Get Ur Freak On"
2. Ramones - "Sheena is a Punk Rocker"
1. Nirvana - "All Apologies"

A Nirvana song? 

196509_safe_rainbow_dash_animated_reacti

460 - 451

Spoiler

460. George Harrison - "My Sweet Lord" [1970]

All of the Beatles had at least one out-of-the-park hit song riding solo (except for Ringo Starr because he sucks), but George Harrison was the one with the fewest (assuming Ringo doesn't count). This is his only very well-remembered song by many as far as I'm concerned, but it's a very good one. It's a very sweet song, produced by Phil wall-of-sound Spector himself, and one that I can like even as someone who isn't very religous by any means. It's one of those pop songs that's very good in the most simple and indescribeable way possible.

459. Guns n' Roses - "Paradise City" [1987]

I still don't hate Guns n' Roses, but if there were one song from them in their prime that I could actively say I dislike, it would be this one. The problem with it is that despite its G'n'R-style anthemic style and length, you'd expect it to be a very huge song... but, no. This is as lame as G'n'R could have gotten, and it's just a very anticlimactic and non-anthemic song. It's not what I want from these guys.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? No, no, and no.

458. Sam Cooke - "Cupid" [1961]

Huh, I always hear good things about Sam Cooke, but this is pretty flat. I don't like the faux-reggae kind of style for this song, and I really hope that the rest of this guy's songs aren't like this. I don't know, this isn't a song worth talking about.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Nah.

457. Chubby Checker - "The Twist" [1960]

In a way, I should hate this song. It sparked an annoying dance craze (and music snobs can't like dance craze songs) and is still played a fuckton... but nah, this song is awesome. I mean, I'd never dance the actual Twist to it, but I'd totally listen to it if I had the chance. It's a very catchy and simple song, and it's not surprising to me that it's as popular as it is.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Totally.

456. The Beatles - "Penny Lane" [1967]

Yup, I still love psych-era Beatles. I don't have much that I could possibly say bad about it; it deserves all the acclaim it gets from people. The problem, though, is that this one is definitely one of the more overrated Beatles songs. It's still good, mind you, but compared to other titans that were released around the same time like Strawberry Fields Forever and A Day in the Life, this song doesn't feel like much. It's a much more simple and barebones Beatles song, and while that's not a flaw, it's simply just a less great song. Still the Beatles, though.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? How could I not say yes?

455. The Velvet Underground - "Heroin" [1967]

I mean, fucking wow. I'm not going to even bother drawing this out, this would easily make a top 10 list of my favorite songs of all time. Like, a position this low on the list is, to me, a fucking sin. Every single element and aspect of this song blows my mind to pieces. The blunt subject matter opens up a lot of opportunities for a song like this, and every single one of those chances are taken, and the results make it pass with flying colors. It's an absurdly perfect song that I can't say much about, but if there were one thing I wanted people to take note of, it would be the chance in mood and dynamics. The first three-fourths of this song is very beautiful, to say the least. It tries to show in audio how good it feels to take heroin. It has a multiple-orgasm kind of structure to it that feels as euphoric as heroin itself (probably) feels.

But then... John Cale's viola kicks in. Let me fucking tell you, when that viola starts, there is no return. Cale fucking OBLITERATES the thing, and the sounds that screech and scrape from it keep you away from heroin just as quickly as the pretty part of the song does. It's the ultimate way to climax this song, and its ear-piercing structure fries my brain even more than anything else could. I can't get over how perfectly and seamlessly this song does the tone shift, and it makes for one of my favorite songs ever. It feels weird to gush over a song this early on the list, but... god damn, The Velvet Underground is one of the best bands ever, and this song is worthy of every single last drop of praise it gets. I haven't gotten in detail about any songs on here yet, so it's probably crazy that I took two paragraphs for this song, but it legitimately deserves it.

Does it deserve being in the to- oh for fuck's sake, you probably already know by this point. If you haven't listened to this song before, LISTEN TO IT NOW.

454. The Shangri-Las - "Leader of the Pack" [1964]

I don't have much energy after the previous song, but I'll try writing about this. Well... it's actually pretty good! The one thing that strikes me is that it's actually very unique compared to its contemporaries. The subject matter is a lot more specific than usual, it's not the average love song. The way they talk about liking a bad boy is very interesting, and I honestly fucking love the way the motorcycle is used in the song. It's quite the hook, and it's what the song seems to revolve around. Yeah, good song for sure.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Totally.

453. Toots and the Maytals - "Pressure Drop" [1973]

There's something about the sound of reggae that always seems to put me off. I don't dislike the genre at all (in fact, I have no real experience with it much besides listening to a Marley album once), but it's just the way it's usually arranged where I don't like listening to it, y'know? Because of that, this song doesn't do much for me. It's an okay song, though.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Actually, yeah. It ain't great, but it's not bad by any means.

452. Nirvana - "Come as You Are" [1991]

You know what? It's Nirvana, what could I say bad about 'em. This actually is one of the worst Nirvana songs, though. It's still great, mind you, but it's nowhere near their more noisy emotional stuff on In Utero, or even the more explosive songs on the same album that this song was on. It's a more mellow Nirvana song, but since it's still a Nirvana song, I give it my seal of approval.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Nirvana, man.

451. Sonny and Cher - "I Got You Babe" [1965]

I'm not really gonna lie to you, I've never listened to this song before this project, and I expected it to be a lot more schmaltzy and bland than it actually was. I was pleasantly surprised to know that this was actually a really good song with a very solid emotional level to it that I liked. I mean, it has that cheesy hippie style with it since it's from 1965, but it ain't bad.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, sure!

rankin' time:

Spoiler

10. Guns n' Roses - Paradise City
9. Sam Cooke - Cupid
8. Toots and the Maytals - Pressure Drop
7. Nirvana - Come as You Are
6. Sonny and Cher - I Got You Babe
5. The Beatles - Penny Lane
4. George Harrison - My Sweet Lord
3. Chubby Checker - The Twist
2. The Shangri-Las - Leader of the Pack
1. -
0. The Velvet Underground - Heroin

• Like 5

450 - 441

Spoiler

450. Bob Marley and the Wailers - "I Shot the Sheriff" [1973]

Bob Marley is really good, but like I said before, his music isn't something I would willingly listen to. This is a really good song, and it's obviously very meaningful with what it's about. He shot a sheriff and is now in trouble for it... but it's in self defense! I just about never focus on the lyrics of a song unless the music is good, though, so the meaning only somewhat matters. It's a good song with a nice chorus, that simple.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, why not.

449. The Del-Vikings - "Come Go With Me" [1957]

Oh for god's sake, it's doo-wop from the late 50s. Take a guess what I think of it. Not even gonna bother writing anything.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Bleh

448. 50 Cent - "In a Club" [2002]

It really is impressive how timeless this song seems to be, given when it was made and how we've already passed the club phase of pop music. I really just cannot help, I adore this song. 50 Cent's delivery is notoriously deadpan, which usually makes his songs not all that useful or interesting, but it actually works in this song. It's a very casual delivery, and it fits perfectly for a song this laidback. I doubt I'm ever going to a club in my life, but I think listening to this song over and over will do for now. Also, if you want to be mildly amused, look at the end of the URL for the music video.

447. John Cougar Mellencamp - "Pink Houses" [1983]

I like a couple of John Mellencamp's more well-known songs, but this one isn't all that great. I've always liked Americana-type rock and roll like this, even if it is usually cheesy, but this one's cheesy factor admittedly pushes it. I like the message and all, and I do like the mood, but it's not really backed up by being a good... song. It's too limp and doesn't really have enough authentic emotion to be a very good song, but it's not bad by any means. In fact, it's quite good, it's just that there are better songs out there by this guy, and yes, they're the obvious ones.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, you could say so.

446. Salt 'n Pepa - "Push It" [1987]

Man, this is one of those songs that's permanently burned into mine and everyone else's heads. I used to love this song, but these days... I don't know, it's just too annoying. As rappers, Salt 'n Pepa both suck (idk which is which), and the beat is nothing but, well, annoying. It's not an enjoyable song despite its catchiness, but I guess I can see why others make like it.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Naaah. If this were a list of pure catchiness, then sure.

445. The Stooges - "I Wanna Be Your Dog" [1969]

The Stooges are one of those classic bands that any music snobs wets their pants over, and I'm definitely part of that. The Stooges were the ultimate punk-before-punk band, and they have a whole lot of personal anthems under their belt. I have lots of songs of theirs I love, but while this is easily in their top 5 most famous songs, it wouldn't made my personal favorites list. It's still an kickass song, but by The Stooges standards, this isn't anywhere near the freakout of TV Eye or the propulsive danger of Search and Destroy. Still awesome song, though.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? HELL YEAH!

444. Elvis Presley - "Love Me Tender" [1956]

I don't have all that much actual experience with the King himself besides a few songs, but... yeah, Elvis being all somber like this? Nah, not my thing. It'll be nice once we see some of his more rock 'n roll stuff, but it's not a bad song at all.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, but it should stay pretty low.

443. The Rolling Stones - "Beast of Burden" [1978]

Meh, it's nowhere near as good as the Rolling Stones' better stuff, but it's still fine. That's the only thing I have to say about it.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Eh, 50/50.

442. Love - "Alone Again Or" [1968]

I'm not gonna draw this one out either; if I made a top 25 songs ever, this would make it. Love haven't made a single damn song as good as this, and that's a real shame. This is one of the ulitmate baroque-type 60s pop songs, and I love it to pieces. The utterly beautiful vocals, the guitar and especially the HORNS make this an incredible listen every single time. Sorry I can't say much else like I did with Heroin, but it's because a song like this is absurdly perfect. You feel a lot of emotion in it, and that's all that matters.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Hell, it should be in the top 50.

441. Wilson Pickett - "Mustang Sally" [1966]

God damn, this is just a cool song. I really can't help but enjoy these kinds of old-school 60s songs with all the fancy brass and stuff. This song is no exception, and it sure sounds like they guy is driving a kickass Mustang, and I sure do like Mustangs.

Does this deserve being in the top 500? You better believe it.

• Like 6

440 - 431

Spoiler

440. Led Zeppelin - "Ramble On" [1969]

Led Zeppelin aren't anywhere near my favorite band ever, but they have enough great songs where I can totally see why people love them as much as they do. This one isn't really one I love all that much, and it's mainly for the first minute or so. When I listen to Led Zeppelin, I want them to rock hard (the exception being the beginning bit in ttheir one mindblowingly obvious song), so hearing that limp acoustic beginning isn't all that fun. Luckily, it goes up with the hook, and it's one of my favorites from these guys. Overall, not a great song, but certainly a good one.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? No doubt.

439. Gladys Knight and the Pips - "Midnight Train to Georgia" [1973]

This is one of those songs where I always felt that everyone knows the name, but nobody really actively listens to it at all. Hell, I never listened to it until today, but I gotta say, it's a great song. It wouldn't be easy to give me a 70s soul song like this that I wouldn't like. I can't add much about it, it's just an old-school perfect kind of song, and that's one of the best kind of songs you can have.

438. Fats Domino - "Ain't it a Shame" [1955]

I've never listened to a Fats Domino song in my life before this, which is weird considering how well-known he is in the kind of scene he was in, but it's not hard to tell why I haven't listened to him. This is actually one of the better rock'n'roll songs with the nice production (AND THE SAX SOLO), but it's not great. Luckily, it's not bad either, and I was surprised by how good it was.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah, you could say that.

437. The Clash - "(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais" [1979]

It would be very, very hard to get me to say anything bad about any 70s punk song. There's a reason that music snobs go nuts over the late 70s, it was just an insanely fertile ground for great music. The thing is, though, I don't actually like The Clash that much. I prefer my punk to be either noisy (Ramones), aggressive (Sex Pistols), or both (a lot of the hardcore stuff that came in the 80s.) These guys are pretty distant from what I want in punk, but this song isn't bad. It just doesn't meet any of my standards.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? So-so.

436. Solomon Burke - "Everybody Needs Somebody to Love" [1958]

This song definitely has more swagger than its contemporaries, and that's nothing short of a good thing. The instrumental bits are still pretty pointless and dated, but Burke (whoever this guy is) sells the message. He's preaching the hell out of his message in a great way. This is the kind of song that I expected to be boring, but it's not bad at all.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Sure.

435. U2 - "New Year's Day" [1983]

Look, I'm one of those people who thinks that U2 can be dull as dirt. It's not easy to sit through even their most beloved and acclaimed albums. They have an arena rock style that I should like, but it falls really short. They're not at all bad, though. It's just that all of their good songs are the big hits, so I don't get how people can actually sit through Achtung Baby without falling asleep. This is a good song, and it has a certain edge to it that I don't hear in a lot of U2, but that's probably because this was in their early post-punk days. Not bad at all.

434. Deep Purple - "Smoke on the Water" [1973]

.... the fact that a song this iconic in the hard rock canon is fucking mindblowing to me. You can't get more recognizable when it comes to a riff, so it's tough to believe that it's this low. This song is fucking awesome, though. If you have anything bad to say about this song, then you're no friend of mine. I have a hell of a hot spot for this kind of really heavy and psychedelic hard rock that's also really anthemic. I assume it's the same reason people love Black Sabbath so much, and that same kind of magic is in this song. Honestly, I never really had the song click with me until I started getting to play that riff in pep band, and that's when I realized just how perfect of a hard rock anthem the song is. It's not my favorite song ever or anything, but it's the kind that definitely deserves a paragraph's worth.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? You better fucking believe it.

433. The Rolling Stones - "Tumbling Dice" [1972]

Considering how abundant this list already is with these guys, I don't think I need to say much. It's yet another really good song by these guys, but you probably already know that.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Yeah.

432. Green Day - "American Idiot" [2004]

I don't think it's a shock to anyone when I say that the last 15 years have been hopelessly devoid of rock. I don't mean shit like Lifehouse, of course, I mean the kind that isn't just boring radio filler. Because of that, thank god that Green Day were as big as they were in '04 and '05. I know a lot of people hate these guys, especially with their political turn with this song, but I can't help but like them. In a way, they go against all the crappy rock music that was there. They didn't have nu-metal whininess nor did they have post-grunge boredom. They were catchy as hell, and that's honestly good enough for me. I don't like the kind of politics that this song goes with, but it's still just a great song. When the juvenile lyrics are annoyed, it just pumps me the hell up.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Oh yeah!

431. The Smiths - "William, it Was Really Nothing" [1984]

Jangle guitars are still just a big ew to me. I pity those who like The Smiths for more than a few songs, because this is such a needlessly melodramatic song, and it doesn't have that good of a tune to back it up. Maybe my indifference to these guys is irrational, but when Morrissey gets to that goddamn falsetto in this song, it hurts.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Not at all.

• Like 4

430 - 421

Spoiler

430. Elvis Presley - "Blue Suede Shoes" [1956]

Elvis is considered the "King" for a damn good reason. I'm sure many would enjoy calling him overrated, but so much swagger shows off in his more rock 'n roll and less croony stuff that it's impressive as hell. This is the kind of song that I can't say much about, of course, it's just a really well-done and catchy early rock'n'roll tune. You can't possibly hate it!

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Of course.

429. Billy Joel - "Piano Man" [1973]

I like making it clear that singer/songwriter songs usually don't do much for me because they focus too much on writing lyrics than well-composed music. Luckily, this song is a different beast than a lot of songs like it. Its storytelling is actually worth paying attention to, and it's backed by some of the best damn melodies in a 70s singalong song. It's not the kind of song I would necessarily consider an anthem, but it sure gives off that kind of vibe. Billy Joel isn't always great, but when he captures lightning in a bottle like with this song, it all fits absurdly well.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Abso-fucking-lutely.

428. The Isley Brothers - "It's Your Thing" [1969]

The name of the band and song honestly made me assume this was some kind of post-rock'n'roll doowop thing like usual, and thank Christ that it's not. All I can possibly say is that if you like pimped out and brassy 60s/70s soul, then this will very much be your kind of thing. I definitely it's my thing, and it's their thing too.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? I can't say no to a song like this.

427. Dr. Dre - "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" [1993]

Gangsta hip hop was never my cup of tea, I'm not gonna lie, but a lot of the really big and well-known songs are definitely good. This is a very laid-back song, and I always like that out of my old school hip hop. Can't say much else honestly, good song.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? I mean, it has a Snoop Dogg verse.

426. Crosby, Stills and Nash - "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" [1969]

I knew immediately that this would be an ambitious-as-hell song just by the title. I mean, a suite? If they can make something so epic and huge that they can call it a suite, then I hope it's good! ...Of course, that is not what happened at all. It starts off well with a light folky feel... but all 7 1/2 limits was a light folky feel. How the hell is this useful in the world? When I hear a song this long, I want it to progress for fuck's sake! Besides the nice melody in the first three fourths of this song, I'm okay with calling this song straight-up bad. I mean, it's boring for the most part, but then the "doo doo doo" crap kicks in and I just get annoyed. There is so much folk out there, I don't see how anyone could choose to listen to this.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Hell no.

425. N.W.A. - "Fuck tha Police" [1989]

This is certainly a good song and its subject matter was certainly justified in 1989, but... I don't fucking know man, this is not the kind of song 2016 needs. I know I may sound overly sensitive, but how could I enjoy this? It's just so goddamn dated. I'm not gonna bother with a tangent right now, but that shooting the other makes me kinda gag at the title of this song itself. Please don't say "fuck tha police" in 2016, is all I'm saying. Like I said, though, the song itself is good. It has great production, and it meant a whole lot back in '89.

424. The Notorious B.I.G. - "Juicy" [1994]

God damn, this song is so sappy, yet so sincere. I've never listened to this song in full before now, but I gotta say, this is already my favorite Biggie song right now. The song's sound is just beautiful, and the female singer really helps lift Biggie's message itself. Hip hop saved his life and brought him out of a shitty life, and I gotta say good on him! It's just a very motivational and feel-good song, and it sure sounds like a success story. The one thing that's funny to me, though, is that how he said that his mind was basically blown how he could play Nintendo and Sega games now. That's certainly dated, but it's kind of adorable to think about.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Undeniably.

423. Don Henley - "The Boys of Summer" [1984]

I always enjoy really pretty-sounding summer rock songs, and this is no exception. I know next to nothing about Don Henley, and he admittedly seems really cookie-cutter as a musician, but that doesn't really matter much since this song is just a very well-done pop rock song. I can't hate on it.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? I gotta say "Yes"

422. The Four Tops - "Can't Help Myself" [1965]

I really do have nothing to say that I haven't already said the last time I covered a Four Tops songs, since this is the same. Great production, wonderful singing, yadda yadda. I like how this kind of music is all the same even when it's really good.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? The usual "yes".

421. The Coasters - "Young Blood" [1957]

I'm sure there's plenty of dangerous old rock 'n roll, but this ain't that. It's not a bad song, and I really like the chorus, but otherwise, it's kinda limp. Just like most songs of this era, I just can't find anything amazing out of it.

Does it deserve being in the top 500? Meh.

• Like 1

Spoiler

480. I think I love the music video more than I do the song.

479. Considering that Foreigner has much, much, much better songs, this one feels so out of place here.

478. Don't know any other songs by The Strokes but this song is cool.

477. This bores me on a number of levels.

476. Good, I guess.

475. I like the Soft Cell cover better honestly.

474. I kinda have a bit of distaste for folk music that isn't Neil Young or Simon & Garfunkel so yeah.

473. It's a fitting song for the Top 500, but I expected it to be higher than this.

472. Just really bad '60s kitsch music.

471. FUCK TO THE YES. THIS IS LITERALLY THE BEST CHEAP TRICK SONG NEXT TO I WANT YOU TO WANT ME--I mean, yes, it needs to be higher. Way higher.

469. I always found this Beatles song to be pretty underrated.

466. This song makes me get my freak on.

464. It's Prince, of course.

463. Soul Man is definitely........soulful.

462. It's Nirvana so it's good.

460. This song is pretty okay or good. Depends on my mood.

459. I like this song, but at the same, I don't really care for it either.

457. Well, it's still miles better than the Soulja Boy or the Whip or the Nae Nae.

456. Psych-era Beatles is definitely cool and while this is not one of my favorite songs, it's alright.

455. Listened to it now and yeah, it's pretty awesome.

452. It's a Nirvana song.

451. I could honestly take this Cher over "Believe" Cher.

450. Is it bad that I prefer the Eric Clapton version over this one? Maybe it's just because I'm not a huge reggae listener, but I prefer that version over this. I mean, it's still good, but...

448. GO FIFTY, IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY. What can I say? It's a classic and kinda deserves the #1 spot in 2003.

447. It good.

446. Just like "Funkytown", this song is more memorable for its synth riff more than the actual song. Except "Funkytown" is more memorable and more interesting than this.

445. Yaaaaaas, The Stooges.

443. Ehhhhhh, nah.

440. RAMBLE ON

435. I like U2's '90s input more than I like their '80s input, but I don't think this song is all that bad.

434. This song definitely deserves its place in rock history.

432. Lyrics? What lyrics? Just as long as this song is catchy enough to catch my attention, it's good enough.

430. We need more of this Elvis on the Top 500 and less of boring Elvis on the Top 500.

429. This is probably Billy Joel's most iconic song ever. Loved it as a kid and I still love it today.

427. I can never say no to any of Snoop's songs. Unless it's a guest performance on a JASON DARUUULO song. Not saying he was bad on that song either. This is definitely classic Snoop and Dre right here.

425. *winces* Yeeeeeeah, this song makes me uncomfortable to sing now due to recent events. It's still good ignoring the events, but right now, hell nah.

424. It's the Notorious B.I.G. The Big Poppa. Hell yeah.

423. How can anyone say no to this song? Songs like this are what make me appreciate Don Henley as a soloist.

Sorry for the short descriptions, I'm just so tired right now.