• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Shark Tale

2. Stuck in the Wringer

fVRMNqs.jpg?1 

288 points. 17 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @Fred Rechid )

SpongeBob takes a morning shower at the beginning of this episode. When he gets out, he dries himself off in his wringer. As he starts to walk out of his bathroom, he nearly slips on a bar of soap. He is so proud of himself for avoiding a potential injury, that he does not notice that a rubber ducky has flown into his bathroom through his window. He trips over the ducky, then slips back onto the bar of soap, and finally gets stuck in his wringer. At this point, Patrick enters the bathroom and asks SpongeBob if he has seen his rubber duck. SpongeBob points out the ducky that he tripped over, which is still on his floor. Patrick runs over to it, exclaiming "Ducky! I found you!" SpongeBob regretfully interrupts the reunion after a bit, telling Patrick that he needs help. He begins to explain that he is stuck in his wringer, but Patrick interrupts before he can finish, saying he knows how to help SpongeBob. However, the problem only gets worse when Patrick, having a brain-dead moment, misunderstands the situation and uses Forever Glue to permanently trap SpongeBob inside it. SpongeBob is a bit upset, but tries to go about his usual day. But, being stuck in the wringer causes some unforeseen problems. He causes chaos at the Krusty Krab, and gets kicked out of work because he put Mr. Krabs' money in danger. Patrick meets him outside, and asks how his day is going. SpongeBob admits that he is having some trouble, and Patrick decides to take SpongeBob to Super Weenie Hut Juniors for some ice cream to cheer him up. SpongeBob becomes even sadder when he discovers that the wringer prevents him from eating his ice cream. Patrick suggests that they go to the carnival, the "funnest spot in the ocean." Carnival games prove impossible for SpongeBob, but Patrick has lots of fun. Patrick's good luck annoys SpongeBob, which finally causes him to lose his temper and became infuriated, started to scream at Patrick for ruining his life. Patrick runs off crying as a result, and the other fish at the carnival are disgusted with SpongeBob's outburst (they seem to know that Patrick had not helped him one bit, but that he had at least tried, despite his stupidity), and tell SpongeBob that he deserved what he got, sending him into depression. The next morning, Patrick tries to ignore the fact that all of the things he usually does involve SpongeBob, and keeps telling himself that he is not supposed to care about SpongeBob anymore. Patrick finds that forgetting about his friend is impossible, and enters the pineapple by breaking down the door while yelling: "I'm coming buddy!" Inside, he finds a depressed and slightly crazed SpongeBob watching TV static. Horrified by this, and blaming himself for SpongeBob's problem, Patrick cries. His tears splash on the glue and melt some of it. Realizing this, SpongeBob suggests that they both cry, so he might be able to slip out of the wringer. Both friends cry, which melts the glue and allows SpongeBob to be free of the wringer. SpongeBob and Patrick hug when SpongeBob tosses the wringer into the air. When it comes back down, it lands around the two, leaving them stuck in the wringer together.

Jjs: I was surprised to see this episode making it farther than One Coarse Meal, but in a good surprise. I still don't like this episode one bit. The plot is dumb, and shows they were clearly grasping the straws for ideas in Season 7. Patrick is probably at his worst here. Throughout the whole episode I just feel bad for SpongeBob, and the townsfolk don't help much either with how they judge SpongeBob despite not understanding his frustration. I'm aware the "crying solves your problems" moral was supposed to be a joke, but that doesn't automatically mean it was comedy gold...or even needed at all honestly. I can't find anything here amusing. I know Fred has much more to say on this though, so I'll give the stage to him.

Fred: Yes, this episode is still my least favorite SpongeBob episode to this very day. I doubt any other episode will top it. I'm so glad it moved up to 2 spots this year because it is one of the most despicable episodes I have ever seen. It is everything I find completely wrong with post-movie SpongeBob summed up. Let's recap.

The main problem of this episode is Patrick. Just Patrick. All of his acts in the episode are really dumb and not in a funny way. First, he glues SpongeBob to his wringer when he wanted to get unstuck. Is Patrick deaf or just completely braindead?! SpongeBob said nothing like "stuck forever", he clearly wanted to be released from the wringer, but due to Patrick's stupidity, he is still stuck to the wringer. So SpongeBob moves on with his day, but his wringer always gets in the way. When he goes to work, Squidward mocks his wringer and then SpongeBob squirts mustard into his eyes, which cause them to melt. That's pretty much one of the grossest and most unpleasant scenes of the show. Not because Squidward got hurt, but it's completely disturbing to see his eyes turn red and melt off. I found it a little funny in Sing a Song of Patrick, but here, it was just completely painful. Then, Mr. Krabs throws him out of his restaurant saying that he helped enough. Patrick then takes SpongeBob to Weenie Hut Jr's to help cheer him up.

Okay, I'm going to pause here for a second and mention one of the upsides to this episode. It makes a callback to No Weenies Allowed, which I found sort of amusing. However, even callbacks can't save this piece of crap. They can make a callback to Band Geeks for all I care and even that wouldn't save this episode.

Anyway, SpongeBob attempts to eat his sundae, but the ice cream ends up lodged in his throat because of the wringer. When that fails, Patrick takes SpongeBob to a carnival to try and cheer him up. Patrick is having more fun than SpongeBob, who gets a black eye from riding on one of the rides. Hey, Patrick, do you think there are more important things to tend to? Such as, your friend who is still glued to a wringer and having the worst time of his life?! SpongeBob then snaps at Patrick, which makes him run away crying. The Bikini Bottomites, who I doubt don't even know what's going on right now, turn on SpongeBob and said he deserved what he's gotten. Wh......what the heck?! Are you basically saying that he deserved to be glued to a wringer by a sea star who probably doesn't even know how to spell his own name?! No. He didn't deserve that at all. You all deserve to be pelted with the same tomatoes you all pelted at Squidward in Little Yellow Book. Later, Patrick goes to SpongeBob's house to see if he's alright. When he sees SpongeBob wallowing in his misery, he starts crying and his tears melt the glue on the wringer. 

Okay, I think there's a major plot hole here. I'm pretty sure that tears are made of saltwater. Since they basically live in saltwater, couldn't the glue just melt off when they walked outside? That would basically make the whole plot pointless now, would it? Anyway, let's finish this off. 

They cry SpongeBob out of the wringer and he is set free. Now here's the infamous part of the episode. SpongeBob does a Dora-esque glance at the TV screen and says crying solves your problems. Not only is that message completely stupid, but they convey it in a very forced manner. The episode then ends with SpongeBob and Patrick both stuck in the wringer.

I don't even see why people think of Pet Sitter Pat as the worst Patrick moment ever. I at least enjoyed that episode more than I did this one. Like I said above, this episode is pretty much everything wrong I find with post-movie all rolled up into one episode. A very dumb and unlikable Patrick, a gross-out scene, and stupid, hypocritical Bikini Bottomites. It is, and probably will always be, the worst episode of SpongeBob in my eyes.

*drops mic*

Stay tuned for the final episode tomorrow (which probably isn't a surprise, but w/e).

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 6

Just now, Fred Rechid said:

Oh gee, I sure do wonder what the #1 is going to be!

It sure can't be that episode that topped the Bottom 50 two years in a row! In fact, it's probably not going to be that at all!

Trust me. It won't. :P

I'd talk about One Coarse Meal and how I think much of the hatred for it comes from a misunderstanding from the viewers of how the characters actually work but heck, I'll save that argument for another day, too much tension to #1.

As much as it probably should've made mine...I just couldn't really bring myself to it to be completely honest, it bores me more than anything else, same goes to the evident number one.

I'm personally kind of sick of OCM being treated as opposite Band Geeks. I gotta admit that i dont hate it that much anymore since i've seen worse content and writers making a suicide scene isn't the issue. I personally think it deserved the hatrid it got, tho i disagree about people wanting this to be banned and saying this is too dark for a kids show (hypocrisy if you ask me). My prob is that the ep is trying to make Krabs either a villain or an anti-hero, it gets pretty messy. Plus i cant support him on this since he only did it to drive him to insanity. Plankton may be a bad guy sure but I hated how Mr. Krabs was written "Im laughing at soneone killing himself" low.

To Love a Patty: There was a time when I would have been very glad to see this episode so high on this list, but now...eh, I just don't feel that satisfaction for a reason I can't wrap my head around. Worse episodes have outclassed it since then? Probably, though that doesn't change my opinion on this episode being pretty bad. That "Oh Baby" scene...I still want that entire part lobotomized from my brain.

One Coarse Meal: How the characters work...is not the problem I have with this episode. I used to think it was okay before I saw the major flaw with it. It's lazy. The whole episode is just Mr. Krabs scaring Plankton dressed up as a whale. The conflict is in no way engaging and in no way gets resolved at the end (Plankton is still afraid of whales and Mr. Krabs didn't succeed in driving Plankton off for good, so what was the point of any of this?), and there's nothing funny in it at all.

Stuck in The Wringer: Nah, I'm not defending this episode this time even if I don't agree with it being placed this high. It may not get on my nerves like it does to others, but a lot of the criticism for it is legit. It's probably just that I've seen worse.

Edited by Metal Snake

It finally ends...but don't backspace after reading this, as I will also share runner-ups after this.

1. Rise and Shine

DiqYawk.png?1  

666 points. 24 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #Infinity - You)

SpongeBob wakes up one morning, stops his alarm clock, and looks out the window. He asks Gary about ever wondering what Patrick does every morning. Then, you see Patrick asleep on his chair. The alarm clock rings and he becomes startled. He hides and realizes that it was something that happened every day. Then, the alarm clock continues ringing and Patrick says that the joke is over. He then draws SpongeBob's face on his pillow and places his underwear on it to represent his best friend, SpongeBob. He asks PillowBob about the noise and then the pillow falls on the alarm clock. It continues and he gets angry and attacks the lamp and rips it in half. Then, it is time for breakfast. He goes to the refrigerator and many cans come out of it. Patrick thinks that he has nothing to eat, but he figures out that the food is in the can. So, he takes a plate and asks the can to give him some food. But the can doesn't respond. Patrick tries to open it and gets frustrated and he throws it and it lands on the alarm clock and the food comes out. So, Patrick grabs the food and sits down to watch television. He eats the food, but the ringing alarm clock comes out again and he realizes that he is late. So, he runs downstairs, but trips on the broken lamp and falls down the stairs. He crashes through his dresser and his shorts are put on. Then, he falls again and he goes through the bathroom and grabs the toothbrush. Then after some shenanigans, Patrick pops out of his rock and SpongeBob asks about his morning. Patrick said he just had another normal morning.

Jjs: You may all be surprised to see this at #1, but I can see why people hate it so much. The alarm clock is a very unlikable character, who is being rather rude to poor Patrick. I'm also not a fan of how SpongeBob does not appear. This show is called SpongeBob SquarePants, not Patrick Star! This may be short, but it's just as bad as other ungodly episodes. I also was not a big fan of the plot twist near the end, where it was revealed Patrc-okay, obviously this isn't the real #1, if you didn't figure it out already.

...In all seriousness, Rise and Shine did actually make some people's lists, so apologies if this offended or disappointed the people who had it on theirs.

Now then, here's the REAL #1, not that it's a surprise...

1. A Pal for Gary

Uq1dIbq.png?1     

384 points. 17 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 5 #1's: @Wumbo, @Katniss, @4EverGreen, @PatrickFan1 & @Big Meaty Claws )

The episode begins as SpongeBob is feeding Gary. He accidentally drops the food and chaos ensues. Then, SpongeBob goes off to work. Gary tries to come with him but SpongeBob cannot bring pets to work and leaves Gary at home. Gary then turns on the TV, uses his leash as a lasso to grab a cowboy hat in a cupboard, and watches a cowboy show or movie. A customer comes in with his pet worm Jan. SpongeBob explains that people cannot bring their pets. The man is just about to leave when Mr. Krabs came and told him to buy Krabby Patties. He says to the man that he is a responsible pet owner. Then, SpongeBob feels guilty for leaving Gary alone after what Mr. Krabs says, and decides to call Gary. Gary is too busy watching TV to answer the phone. SpongeBob thinks he is too sad to answer. SpongeBob then listens to the message on the answering machine. It is a message that SpongeBob and Gary made that talks about SpongeBob and Gary having fun, this makes SpongeBob feel even guiltier. He then leaves a message saying that he knows that Gary is feeling lonely and that he will be home soon. While this is happening, Gary is watching TV and having a good time.

SpongeBob flips the "open" sign to "closed." He sneaks out of the Krusty Krab hoping not to be noticed so he can just go home without doing any more work. However, this is stopped when Mr. Krabs notices him closing the door to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs is seen covered in tar and holding a shovel. He is next to a tar maker about to retar the parking lot. He asks SpongeBob to join him and SpongeBob declines. Mr. Krabs understands and tells him to come to work 5 hours early to finish the parking lot. He spots a stand with Nudibranchs. SpongeBob sees a green one with purple eyes, huge pink lips and blue fins. He says he wants it, but an old peddler woman (she owns the Nudibranchs) warns him that looks can be deceiving because they are violent and dangerous, especially around other animals. SpongeBob ignores her warning and takes it home anyway while the old peddler woman says to herself that the people never listen. When he gets home, Gary is still watching TV. SpongeBob gets in front of the screen to show Gary his new friend, which he named "Puffy Fluffy," then leaves to make enchiladas. While in the kitchen, Gary is chewing his toy in front of Puffy. It is then shown that the peddler's warning was right as Puffy then growls and scares Gary to go behind the couch while Puffy chews his toy apart. Puffy, about to bite Gary, sees that SpongeBob is coming back and turns himself back to a nice Nudibranch. SpongeBob gets Gary's bowl and makes a slash on it with marker. On the other side of the slash, he writes "Puffy Fluffy." Gary starts to eat when Puffy Fluffy Growls at him again. Then Puffy eats every single piece of food in the bowl. SpongeBob sees that Gary is hiding from Puffy again, and scolds him. Gary then jumps on SpongeBob while Puffy looks like he has absolutely no idea why Gary is on SpongeBob.

At bedtime, SpongeBob tells Gary he is going to sleep with Puffy Fluffy tonight. When he puts Gary in the bed, he hisses at Puffy. As SpongeBob is about to go to sleep, Gary bursts in, scared about Puffy Fluffy, but SpongeBob takes him back downstairs, seeing this as Gary thinking his friend is mean. He puts Gary back in the living room and tells him to let him sleep, before going back to bed. Some time later, Gary wakes up and sees Puffy's skin on the bed. He walks in the kitchen to see a huge eel eating in the refrigerator. The eel is revealed to be Puffy Fluffy, who now has five tongues with a mouth on each. Puffy then attacks Gary and SpongeBob does not wake up throughout. In the morning, SpongeBob wakes up and discovers the damage to his library. He assumes it was Gary who did it because he's jealous about the new friend. After bursting through the door downstairs, he finally sees Gary is about to be eaten. Gary is relieved, only to be shocked when instead of helping him, his owner starts to scold him for his destruction and how he's still treating Puffy Fluffy, even when the eel is clearly about to eat him. SpongeBob continues to lecture Gary until Puffy Fluffy's tongues grab onto SpongeBob, who's still scolding his snail even as he's about to be eaten. Using a leash as a lasso, Gary whips at Puffy Fluffy, driving it away from SpongeBob's pineapple home. SpongeBob chases after the beast crying for it not to go, then turns and admonishes Gary for chasing Puffy Fluffy away, to which Gary gives an annoyed glare. Later on, SpongeBob brings Gary to work, so he is not lonely, and then Mr. Krabs gives Gary a spatula to help work. Gary meows in a disappointed tone.

Jjs: Yeah yeah, third time in a row this has been #1. Some of you will be either happy or disappointed for predictability. Everyone and their grandmother probably saw this coming. If you wanted a change, then you could have left it off your lists, or ask others to have submitted a list to change the outcome. But whatever. This still made my list, right at #4. There's really nothing to like about it, even if it is not my most hated anymore. However, I will agree with what a certain commentator says below, that I am a bit tired of hating this episode in general. Oh, it is still terrible (after all, why would it make my list), but I feel there's only so much I can say about it before growing bored and repeating the same things over and over. Who knows, maybe just like One Coarse Meal, despite it being hated by majority of the fandom, A Pal for Gary could very well drop off my list or get lower as the years go by. So, even if this ending may be predictable, I still thank everyone who submitted a list this year...even if we didn't get as much commentators as I would've liked, but it is what it is. However, this isn't all just yet. Keep reading below to see runner-ups after the next two commentaries.

Cha: SpongeBob's oblivious state had comedy to it, but by the end of the episode I wish he would have snapped out of it a little at least. At least Gary was able to defend himself out of that mess with some cowboy roping skills. 

Clappy: Surprise everybody! I volunteered to take time out of my very busy schedule lately to commentate. But which episode will it be? Would it be for Fungus Among Us? Nah, you all know how I feel about that by now and if you don't, do yourselves a favor and read up on past thoughts about that atrocity.

No. I wanted to commentate on the number one choice. Which is obviously going to still be A Pal For Gary. I mean, why wouldn't it be? It was number one in 2013 and 2015. Why not 2016? Why not 2017? Why not for the rest of this show's existence? Is it awful? Hell yes it is. It's utter garbage.

I want to say...that my hatred for it has died off. Is it still a terrible episode? Of course it is. By the time this episode ends, I always feel the need to wash myself with Lysol. But it didn't have to be this way. The first few minutes of this episode actually aren't that bad. SpongeBob seems to actually be in character caring about the existence of his pet. I know it makes a complete 180 later on, but the worst he could have been was completely negligent for an entire episode. It at least feels like a SpongeBob episode to begin with is what I'm trying to say, where there have been countless episodes on this countdown that have popped up that don't even feel like SpongeBob the entire time. And yes, I still think the enchilada joke is still funny.

But yeah for all that defense, this episode is still terrible. For as decent as this starts, it takes a nose dive the moment SpongeBob steals Puffy Fluffy. And the quality keeps dropping quicker and quicker every instance SpongeBob acts oblivious to Gary being tormented by whatever the hell Puffy Fluffy evolves into. The sad thing is that this could have been played up for laughs if they didn't try to torture Gary every single instance they got.  Classic cartoons have done this plot time and time again where a one off character appears and isn't what it seems. The writers for this episode clearly dropped the ball here because they just aren't classic writers.  They like to play this up for extreme levels of disgust by having Gary meow in fear or have Gary being threatened to be eaten.  I swear the moment SpongeBob tells Gary to put Puffy Fluffy down is one of the cringiest instances of the entire series.  What the *dolphin noise*?  That's not SpongeBob.  He's not that big a buffoon.

For everything wrong with it...I've just run out of hatred if it's possible. It's abysmal, it's flawed, it's utter trash, it's scraping the bottom of the barrel. I agree with all of the criticism, all of the hate...but personally, I'm just tired of this episode if anything at all. I'm done.

RUNNER-UPS

Disappointed an episode on your list didn't make the list? If it cheers you up any, here's some episodes with over 30 points that were close to making it on the list at points in time. You don't have to comment on these, but you can if you want to keep discussion going. I won't say who had these as the highest just so they don't get hunted down for any controversial choices, but they are free to speak up in the comments below nonetheless. Now then, here are the runner-ups for SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition:

Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (37 points, 3 lists)

Can You Spare a Dime? (37 points, 2 lists)

A Flea in Her Dome (36 points, 3 lists)

Greasy Buffoons (36 points, 2 lists)

Professor Squidward (35 points, 5 lists)

Best Day Ever (34 points, 2 lists)

Restraining SpongeBob (34 points, 3 lists)

Stanley S. SquarePants (33 points, 3 lists)

Thank you all to who participated, and be sure to check out this year's Best Episode list, hosted by More!

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 7

I don't remember exactly where I had this, but it's still a terrible episode for me imo. SpongeBob's obliviousness is too extreme here and as a whole it's just unfunny and a bore. Whether it's worthy of #1 for the 3rd year in a row is certainly debatable, but it's certainly a bottom 5/10 episode for me

Both SITW and APFG made my list but yeah obvious choices. I think Clappy and Fred explained well why those episodes sucked and they definitely deserve to be on the list, albeit APFG is such predictable choice as #1. I'm glad I joined worst list edition this year since I wasn't here last year when it happened. Can't wait for best list edition again.

This episode is either off yours entirely, or pretty much a top 5. For me it's the former. I just can't be bothered by it that much for whatever reason, guess I have an immunity when it comes to this stuff. I definitely don't think it should be the number one though, I do think of this as a bad episode, but not the holy grail of bad episodes. Then again it isn't the most disagreeable on this...

RUNNER-UPS

Can You Spare a Dime? (37 points, 2 lists)

OK we're fighting UFC style over this. (D) 

Before I go ahead with the rest of the Top 50, I'm gonna have to argue with Truth or Square being on the list.

It may not feel like it, but I absolutely enjoyed Truth or Square as some love letter to the fans who enjoyed the show during its 10 year run. The establishment of being a 10 year anniversary special falls flat for being "a bottle episode," but....so what of it? It doesn't have to be incredulously story-driven, it doesn't have to reveal the secret formula to be an excellent episode for a lackluster season that was Season 6. It's not the best episode, not even by default, but let me tell you guys what defines a "special SpongeBob episode" to me. SpongeBob has had a bad track record with trying to impress its audience with a 30 minute/1 hour special, but Truth or Square was different compared to specials like "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob," "The Great Patty Caper," and "Clash of Triton" to name. A good SpongeBob special would be out of the ordinary and still have its charm and wit to impress me. It pretty much did, for me. The main storyline for Truth or Square is an episode where Plankton tries to steal the formula stretched into 30 minutes, but why don't I care about that? It still impressed me for what it had. In terms of some of the humor, some of the jokes were pretty funny and entertaining. As for the flashbacks themselves, I've got to know how SpongeBob met Squidward, I've got to see how the writers established SpongeBob's love for Krabby Patties, I've got to see some form of ship tease for the fake wedding between SpongeBob and Sandy, and those things were at least worth getting exciting for in my perspective, because the writers at least put out some character establishment. Heck, seeing SpongeBob, Mr. Krabs, Squidward, and Patrick form a bond/conversation through their own thoughts while in the air ducts kinda makes the episode feel like it's more than just a "bottle episode." Then you've got the Patchy segments, which is easily the least impressive, but still....I even actually got something worth from that. I got to see some different perspectives of SpongeBob in general with the alternate theme songs and the 20s style animation sketch, which were at least amusing to see. It's filled with celebrity cameos, which is kinda unsurprising for a milestone celebration, but was it worth watching? It was amusing only to see a select few tiny segments from Will Ferrell, Robin Williams, and Craig Ferguson, as well as P!nk performing "Scurvy," and as long as the episode is still focused on the plotline for Patchy, I don't see much of a problem with the celebrity cameos. Sure, Truth or Square doesn't have a stable identity when it's an episode about: Patchy/Krusty Krab's anniversary/the secret formula/flashbacks, but whatever it is, it mostly matters that the episode plays the role being part of the show's milestone celebration, so I honestly don't mind with the episode giving us a variety of different gimmicks over the main storyline. It's not excellent as it should be, but it's not really godly boring/nothing special, and it's at least enjoyable and had some things to offer in order for me to define it as a "special episode."

Now for the rest:

24. (1)/23. It's hard to get over the fact that Mrs. Puff is practically wishing for SpongeBob to get killed, but strangely enough, the episode doesn't do enough to make my skin crawl.
24. (2)/22. Same for this one, but I'm actually surprised "Big Sister Sam" got this high.
22. (1)/21. Again, strange for me to say, I do feel sorry for Squidward, but this isn't even remotely one of my least favorites or one of the worst from Squid Abuse. Some bits of the episode were enjoyable.
22. (2)/21. I still have "Driven to Tears" and "Stuck in the Wringer" to back up that this episode isn't Patrick at its worst, but it's still unpleasant to see Patrick acting like a jerk.
20. Not too bad for a Squid Abuse episode, from what I can say.
19. For the people who think this episode should be banned for the crime of disgusting them, I'm still going to snicker, but I do understand why this episode is hated and I do think some of the visuals are unappealing, but the weakest point for me is simply the characterization and plotline.
18. (1)/17. Okay, the ending was weak, but were the visuals that nauseating for the episode to warrant this spot?
18. (2)/17. SpongeBob obsessing over Squidward is unwarranted, but I'll go as far to say that this was a fairly enjoyable Squid Abuse episode.
16. Pointless.
15. It's pretty mediocre, but not too bad.
14. I've done commentary for this episode before, but it's not so bad of a special compared to "Sponge Who Could Fly," or "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob?"
13. What I pretty much hate about this episode is that it's basically a predictable Squid Abuse episode. Something bad happens to Squidward so constantly, it's ridiculous.
12. Plankton trying to imitate Sandy and her accent alone saves this episode from being one of my worst.
11. Like I've said once before, it's too juvenile for me to hate.
10. I've expressed my opinion on this one, being on the top 5 of my least favorite episodes. Some of you guys already know how I feel about this.
9. This episode aged poorly for me. This episode is controversial for its depiction of unemployment. I'm not going to make some politcal statement about that, but I kinda agree with some of the criticism for that, but for the most part, this special just has very little passion, when it comes to Mr. Krabs' excuse for firing SpongeBob, the very flat storyline, and just being flat out nothing special, spite having the "special episode" label in front of it.
8. This episode feels like it could've been brought down to 3-7 minutes, because it's certainly an example of a plot being dragged on for too long. I don't think it's awful, but still, meh....
7. An example of unfunny Squid Abuse for me. We had obsessive SpongeBob in Boating Buddies, and that doesn't compare to OVER-obsessive SpongeBob here. It's a bit of an understatement to call it creepy, but I couldn't agree more with the uncomfortable subtext.
6. No strong feelings. An episode has to really get on my nerves in order for me to consider it one of the worst. This is just meh.
5. I kinda like the plot for this and it at least ends pretty well. It just hasn't really done so much damage to me, but man there's just so much fungus, it's an eyesore.
4. Same as #6.
3. I've spent quite a lot of time expressing my thoughts on this, so I'm gonna have to skip on my critique for this again.
2. I'm surprised that this episode didn't make me so frustrated the first time I saw this, but when I looked into this more, this episode ended up being SpongeBob abuse at its worse, and Patrick's being as bad as to the point of being irredeemable. Nothing Patrick does in this episode is funny, his funny stupidity just flat out turns into irritating stupidity. And when we have to sympathize for him, it's hard to do so when getting SpongeBob stuck in the wringer was his own fault. It's justified that SpongeBob would end up arguing with Patrick midway, but when the townspeople have to acknowledge SpongeBob's bitterness, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The ending doesn't make it any better, the "crying does solves problems" thing really makes me think I'm supposed to get out of that. Some say it's a joke, but it comes off as some cheesy message, and it's just uncalled for. I don't think I had this on my Bottom 10, but the episode gets worse the more I think about it, and it's been a while since I ever felt that I never wanted to see a certain episode ever again.
1. And this is pretty much the default worst episode of SpongeBob, and I can see why. It is not the absolute worst by my own means, but it's still one of the worst examples of unfunny character abuse.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

Uh... Rise and Shine? Do we really wanna respark that controversy--oh wait this was the prank I asked for :P

Yup. A Pal for Gary. Predictable. Deserved. Absolutely appalling with how much misunderstanding and hatred was put into SpongeBob's character to the point where it's hard to think of him without that major blow, and it's really unfunny and overly painful on top of that. I mean, this isn't my #1 but it still made a high #6, and I can't ignore it as it's pretty much the default bad episode that I've never encountered anyone liking. And Stuck in the Wringer... as I mentioned in my last commentary, Patrick's true guilt and sadness for harming SpongeBob, along with helping him out of the wringer, was enough to take it off my list, although I still wouldn't say it's good.

As for the Honorable Mentions, oh coincidence, Squidward's School for Grown-Ups made my #5. I've ripped into how juvenile and toxic morally this was so I won't delve. And it was followed up with "Can You Spare a Dime?" of all things. I'm just hoping it makes the best list to compensate (SEE IT HERE TO VOTE BECAUSE ADVERTISING), and it looks to be getting a good amount of points too so far.

And finally, here's my final leaked list to kill any suspense you have. More out. :men:

25. Pineapple Fever (#32)

24. Summer Job (#37)

23. House Sittin' for Sandy (Surprised this missed the cut, but it's more tedious and monotonous than anything so I don't mind)

22. All That Glitters (#10)

21. Are You Happy Now? (#36)

20. The Inmates of Summer (Too childish for my tastes)

19. Slide Whistle Stooges (#29)

18. The Abrasive Side (If not for having the most outright toxic moral of the show, I actually would've loved this)

17. Dumped (Boring. Only episode from pre-movie I didn't find funny)

16. Demolition Doofus (#23)

15. Waiting (#16)

14. The Card (#42)

13. Grooming Gary (It's both a gift and a curse that this slow-paced and pampery episode was forgotten)

12. Rodeo Daze (#48)

11. The Splinter (#19)

10. Planet of the Jellyfish (Don't shoot me please :()

9. Atlantis SquarePantis (#34)

8. Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom (#13)

7. A Pal for Gary (NUMERO UNO)

6. Squid Baby (#11)

5. Squidward's School for Grown-Ups (First Runner-Up)

4. The Clash of Triton (#14)

3. Pet Sitter Pat (#25)

2. Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy (#12)

1. SpongeBob You're Fired (#9)

This made #4 on my list. It's still a terrible episode, but I guess seeing it as #1 on the previous lists kind of decreased my hatred for it. Still, it's one of SpongeBob's most OOC moments of the whole series.

My full list:

Spoiler

25. Big Sister Sam

24. The Main Drain

23. Choir Boys

22. Nautical Novice

21. The Clash of Triton

20. Smooth Jazz at Bikini Bottom

19. Picture Day

18. Gone

17. All That Glitters

16. The Cent of Money

15. The Card

14. Pineapple Fever

13. Cephalopod Lodge

12. Truth or Square

11. Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful

10. Gullible Pants

9. Summer Job

8. Squid's Visit

7. Sponge-Cano

6. A Day Without Tears

5. Pet or Pests

4. A Pal for Gary

3. Squid Baby

2. Fungus Among Us

1. Stuck in the Wringer

As for the honorable mentions:

Spoiler

Squidward's School for Grown Ups - I feel as though the only crime this episode is responsible for is being very dull and boring.

Can You Spare A Dime - whoever did this, we need to fight

A Flea in Her Dome - Disgusting.

Greasy Buffoons - Ehhhhh, it's a mediocre episode.

Professor Squidward - The ending doesn't really insult me, but SpongeBob and Patrick's antics are pretty annoying.

Best Day Ever - I can't really hate this episode as much as I'm supposed to. Call it one of my guilty pleasures.

Restraining SpongeBob - Patrick was just really dumb in this episode.

Stanley S. SquarePants - Meh.

Anyways, that was it. I enjoyed doing this again and I enjoyed reading all of your commentaries too.

19 hours ago, More said:

Yup. A Pal for Gary. Predictable. Deserved. Absolutely appalling with how much misunderstanding and hatred was put into SpongeBob's character to the point where it's hard to think of him without that major blow, and it's really unfunny and overly painful on top of that. I mean, this isn't my #1 but it still made a high #6, and I can't ignore it as it's pretty much the default bad episode that I've never encountered anyone liking.

JcxrsHv.jpg 

Edited by jjsthekid