• Advertisement

Underrated Games that You Liked

crushingmayhem

There's always certain games that we tend to like, whether be good or bad that we feel like they deserve more attention than what they currently receive. They can be of any genre but it always has a certain style that puts it apart of other games.

Have there ever been any games that you liked but didn't get the recognition they deserved?

Discuss.

Friday the 13th for NES. I don't care what anyone else says, I play that game every October. I've also always liked Castlevania II, Zelda II, Devil May Cry 2, and Final Fantasy II despite all the crap they get. Yeah, I have a tendency to have a soft spot for the "black sheep" games in popular franchises.

Just remembered Double Dragon III and The Final Fantasy Legend (actually SaGa). The former honestly is my favorite Double Dragon game. The latter has gotten less flack for "not being Final Fantasy" as time has gone on, but still deserves more attention. The SaGa franchise in general is underrated.

Ratchet & Clank, hands down, is an underrated video game franchise. At least to my knowledge.

Like, literally, I don't think anyone has ever heard of or seen the franchise besides a few people on here and other sites I go on.

Oh and feel free to correct me on this, but I barely saw any Ratchet & Clank commercials air on TV. Of course, there hasn't been an R&C release since Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus in 2013 and even then, I didn't notice any commercials for that.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fred Rechid said:

Ratchet & Clank, hands down, is an underrated video game franchise. At least to my knowledge.

Like, literally, I don't think anyone has ever heard of or seen the franchise besides a few people on here and other sites I go on.

Oh and feel free to correct me on this, but I barely saw any Ratchet & Clank commercials air on TV. Of course, there hasn't been an R&C release since Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus in 2013 and even then, I didn't notice any commercials for that.

Yeah, to my knowledge Termi and I are the only big fans here.

And as for the series' very low popularity, that's for multiple reasons. I'm saying this as a huge Ratchet and Clank fan, but this is both Insomniac and Sony's fault. The games were actually pretty damn popular back in the PS2 days, especially Up Your Arsenal. Then Tools of Destruction came out in 2007 and sold alright. Deadlocked was a bit controversial but it still sold pretty well. Since then each R&C game has sold less than the last and I don't think there's a whole lot of faith into the series in general besides IG's. The straw that broke the camel's back sales wise was All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault. While they were decent games, they were essentially spin-off games and pretty much everyone except the hardcore stopped caring about Ratchet. It even got to the point where Into the Nexus I think hasn't even broke half a million copies. And that's sad, as Nexus is a fantastic game. (Especially exploring Thram <3) The series' marketing has been pretty piss-poor since about 2009 I'd say, so it's not too shocking the series is pretty under known these days. I know there were a few commercials for A40 and ACiT, but I don't think I've seen any at all besides those. It's really sad they're probably not gonna bring back the awesome commercials the PS2 games had.

Now the movie/PS4 game could either be a complete bomb, do okay, or revitalize the series. I think the marketing is what is going to save it. The movie hasn't had a whole lot of faith put into it. It has a pretty low budget (only around $20 million I think) and the movie was kinda rushed honestly. Like I've heard it's good and all but the animation especially was very rushed. Things get really interesting when you take into consideration what my friend told me about the pre-release screening a year ago. The game itself is launching at a very awkward place with Uncharted 4 and Dark Souls 3 launching close to it. You might say they have very different audiences, but I don't think the series is in the position right now to take that. The movie NEEDS good marketing or the series is toast.

Enough blabbering.

Edited by Teamwork
  • Like 1