• Advertisement

194b. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom

Jjs Goodman

I know it sounds like me being a die-hard Kaz fan but omf, I adored this episode for everything. For one, it was really fast-paced and it made the episode highly enjoyable. Even the subplot didn't feel slow or distraced, the subplot connected to the main plot very well. The plot was simple and that's how it should be. Yeah, I like complex plots too but since this is SpongeBob, you can do a lot of awesome stuff with just a simple plot and this episode was executed brilliantly. The episode was funny too, a lot gags really made me laugh, especially when Squidward and SpongeBob flushed down everything to toilet and more cartoonish gags. Speaking of Squidward and SpongeBob, this was their best episode in years. Yes, it was way better here than Squid Plus One. Their chemistry was so damn great and I should also mention that they made Squidward care for SpongeBob, that was something that I wanted it for years. He actually realized his actions were too far and he decides to find SpongeBob in the sewer. That is the Squidward I know and love. Mean and crazy but really cares about SpongeBob. Also the sword fish character (don't know his name) was awesome, seriously, these season 9 one-time characters are so damn awesome and memorable (I think one-time characters may even be season 9's highest point). It is rarely to find flaws in it imo. Yeah, it did have a few toilet humor but it wasn't focused that much and even it was there, it worked for the plot and it was actually kind of amusing. Everything about this episode was fantastic. Easily best season 9.2 episode and one of the best SpongeBob/Squidward related episodes in years. It deserves my highest grade, "A+".

I really loved this episode, and I think it might currently be my favorite Season 9.2 episode, and one of my favorite Season 9 episodes to date. Kaz was definitely successfully making all of his jokes hit hard, and it worked very well. Charlston was a hilarious and over the top character (seems like memorable one-time characters are a reoccurring thing in 9.2), and I loved Mr. Krabs and Crupski's reactions to him freaking out. Him poking the Sewer Snake was also gold. The episode's plot itself was definitely unique, and we had some new settings (the stadium and the sewers). I also liked how Squidward cared about SpongeBob, as others have pointed out. Very fun and whacky episode.

On a side note, I also really liked the title card music.

Grade: A

• Like 1

omg Squidward do cared for SB as he was so alone xD

Anyways, i REALLY liked this episode, this is has to be on my fave s9 ep to date, it seems like we getting more one-time character more often this season. the ending was awesome.

What else can i say? Fantastic & simplify episode.

Also, Kaz did wonderful job for writing this episode as well.

This may be my first viewing, but it will probably change.

Pros:

* Squidward was written much better here: not too hot-tempered or easily abused, but actually concerned. Kinda makes me think of Pizza Delivery. Kudos to Kaz for not screwing his character up.

* The Jeff Bennett voiced character, he was hilarious; also much of the subplot

* Some great use of BG music, animation, humor.

Cons:

* While his writing of the characters were in-character for SB, Squidward, and Krabs, Kaz's writing feels a little off in term of timing/jokes.

* Main plot needs more humor

* A tad boring

SCORE: 7/10 (GOOD)

Fun facts:

* First episode since season 3 where Kaz gets a writing credit; also his first solo effort (although it doesn't hold a candle to his season 3 work). In other notes, he's just credited as a writer, rather than doing storyboards.

* 2nd episode boarded by Lynne Naylor (Vincent thought Fred Osmond did this one as well, but it was Lynne instead); also, Dave Cunningham gets a storyboard supervisor credit.

* 4th post-sequel episode w/o Patrick.

* Jeff Bennett was the voice of Crupski, making it the first time he did a voice role in SpongeBob. I'm not surprised by this because if you think about, he's been showing up more and more Nicktoons these days and he doesn't show up in Cartoon network as much as he used to.

* Starting with PTG and this episode, Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli are now supervising producers.

This is another good episode. It was fun to see Spongebob and Squidward together in the sewers, and there are some good jokes thrown out here and there. The subplot isn't as interesting as the main story, but it was still good on its own. That's about all I have to say, I really enjoyed this one

8/10