• Advertisement

Samurai Jack is Back

Jane

season 5 episode 6 spoilers

Spoiler

behold! the first episode of Samurai Jack that used "damn", " penis" and "ass" words.

this episode was delightful. It had so many fan service moments but i thought it worked so well because Ashi knew everything about Aku was a lie but she never knew Jack saved countless lives and inspired them, excluding saving the kids in previous episode. She realized how important Jack is and she wanted to save him.

I loved the return of Scaramouche and he was really funny here. Demongo's cameo was great, although it made me wonder why Aku decided to let him loose. I suppose Aku just doesn't give a shit about anything anymore lol.

Jack almost commiting Seppuku was truly terrifying but the scene worked very well. Ashi saving Jack was so amazing and I can't wait for next episode, which will bring back Jack's sword.

I was saving my thoughts on this season for series finale but I'll say that I have been loving the hell out of this, maybe even more than season 1-4 but it's still not fair to compare awesomeness of first four seasons to this dark season. I'm glad they kept the humor, while it has been dark and cynical.

So excited for how this will be wrapped up.

Spoiler

Okay, I have a few things I have to say:

- The fact that I saw the old intro referenced was vindicating as hell.

- All of the characters coming together to attempt to kill Aku was amazing as hell

- That fucking last blow was orgasmic as hell.

- Jack finally returning to the past was satisfying as hell.

- But Ashi dying was depressing as hell. :(

- The finale was good as hell.

- That's about it.

welp, the show has finally ended. Here's my thoughts on it.

I adored first 7 episodes. They were almost flawless with great music, marvelous action, cinematography, bloody sequences, tackling mature subjects and great character study for Jack, Aku and Ashi. It introduced me to Scaramouche, who's now my favorite villain that isn't Aku. And the second episode of the season is arguably one of the best episodes, the show has ever done. Unfourtunately last 3 episodes felt a bit rushed for my taste and I didn't feel the epicness of the last 3 episodes just like how I felt during first 7 episodes. Spoilers for last three episodes.

Spoiler

Maybe i'm just biased but I just didn't like Ashi and Jack as a couple. I mean I think it worked for how the finale ended on a sad note but otherwise, I felt that the development of their romance felt so rushed. Yeah, there were hints but If they wanted me to sell the relationship, they could have hinted more in previous episodes. Still I would have rather let them stay as friends because you just don't get to see main male and main female characters as friends often. It's not that I'm one of those people who loathes heterosexual couple, I just didn't feel like this epic show needed a romance just like most of cartoons. I couldn't get invested in Jack and Ashi as a couple. The tone of episode 8 when the ship got real kept switching from an awkward sexual romantic comedy to an action packed episode, it took me out of the episode. I just couldn't like the relationship. I know some people loved the relation aspect of this season and I agree that Jack and Ashi needed each other to redeem themselves but I wasn't on board with it. As for last two episodes, I enjoyed them but I didn't feel that I was blown away from all this. I just didn't feel like this was an epic conclusion. It was fun and I loved the cliffhanger of the episode 9 and how episode 10 started was truly epic but after Ashi sent both of them back in time, the fight between Jack and Aku didn't feel so exciting. It was done quickly and I would have loved to see much more action from Jack vs Aku like the one in Jack and the Zombies episode. I don't know. I still liked how it concluded tho. Usually animated series ends with a happy tone and I'm great with that but I liked how this episode ended on a sad note. Jack actually concluded his quest but for a big prize. Losing Ashi forever. Now that felt so saddening and I felt the ending was satisfying conclusing but I didn't feel so emotionally invested with how it ended. I liked it but I wasn't all tearjerky for me because I just didn't care for Ashi and Jack's relationship. I just wished they'd develop their cehmistry a bit more and make the final battle more epic, I would have loved the finale but in the end, I just found it decent. I'm surprised they kept Ashi alive for so long but it's okay, I'm not gonna complain about it. I loved seeing Scotsman floating and his daughters attacking Aku. I lol'd at Scotsman listing all of his daughters and Scotsman's comments on how Jack didn't accept any of his daughters. Most of the characters that Jack helped returning felt like a great fanservice for sure. And action scenes were still a delight.

Overall, I just felt like the conclusion was satisfying and I loved bits and pieces of the finale but I just didn't feel like hyped for this and I wish I could have get more excited and emotional towards this. Maybe it's because I came on board with this show so late but I already loved this show. I still think this last season was worth to wait, for the most part, I got what I wanted and the conclusion was fine enough. I had a few issues with this season but still this has been a good ride. Seeing the fandom active for this show again was so great and I enjoyed all of the conversations I had about this show. Thanks for 5 great seasons Samurai Jack, you'll be missed. Thankfully you had a conclusion after 13 years. Hats off to everyone who worked in this show.

Series Finale Grade: B

Season 5 Grade: A-

The Show: A+++