• Advertisement

Ranking Every Ariana Grande Song

kylie

I wanted to do something a little bit different than last time- and since Arianas discography consists of only two albums, this seemed like the best choice. I'll rank her whole discography, from beginning to end (excluding Victorious songs and only songs from Yours Truly or My Everything.) 

#26 - Hands On Me (ft. A$AP Ferg) 

From the album: My Everything

From her debut album, Ariana produces undeniably her most disappointing song. It's meant to be sexy, but it just comes across as sloppy with A$AP clumsily saying random shit until his inevitably awful verse. Undeniably the weakest guest on the whole album. And then theres Ariana who, in all honesty, can not pull this one off convincingly. I don't think anyone could ever buy Ariana as some sex goddess with a body like Beyoncé. It's just not her- of all the songs on the album, this is the one that comes across as the most producer-driven. I don't believe she wrote a word of this song... which would make sense, her name aren't even on the credits. It completely feels like it was written for someone else and then they just clumsily handed it to Ariana instead. This song makes no sense, and with the existence of Love Me Harder, it's clear we don't actually need this song. Some notable moments from the A$AP verse include gross sexual innuendos, cliche lines, and a completely unsexy beat behind it. This song shouldn't have made the cut. 

#25 - Better Left Unsaid 

From the album: Yours Truly

I just don't get this one at all. It's another song that doesn't sound like Ariana at all, plus the lyrics are incredibly clumsy. The production is also overdone on this song, with that "IF YOU WANNA PARTY PUT YO HANDS UP" thing coming out of nowhere. This song feels like it wanted to be ballad, and then Ariana just randomly starting shouted in the studio and they had to include it. It's one of those songs where the verses just don't go with the chorus at all. It's poorly written at best and makes no sense at worst. Yours Truly ends with this song but it should've ended with literally anything else. (and if it weren't for inside jokes with cha this would've been last place)

#24 - Problem (ft. Iggy Azalea) 

From the album: My Everything

Maybe it's the Iggy Azalea verse, maybe it's Arianas poor vocals, maybe it's the unnecessary whispering in the chorus courtesy of Big Sean. This song was obviously going to be a major summer hit the second it was released, but I just could not like it. It wasn't even a #1 single (it was blocked by a far worse song, Fancy) but this came damn near close, peaking at #2 for SEVEN weeks. This was inescapable last year- it was on the radio, in advertisements, playing inside of stores... wherever you went, it's like this shit followed you. And maybe I liked it at first, but the more they played it the more I noticed all the flaws. Ariana sounds awful here, imo. Her vocals have never been less sharp. Iggy's verse is expectedly weak and yet, somehow, she actually kinda livens up the song. Iggy at least makes things, I don't know... interesting? Because the rest of this song is completely boring. It sounds like a song Ariana would use to warm up her voice (especially in the chorus) before she actually performed. The saxophone beat is an interesting choice, but that doesn't make it a good one. This song is just a hot mess. It's a shame that, so far, this is what people best know her for. 

• Like 3

I agree so far, Better Left Unsaid grew on me because of the catchy beat but I gotta agree that the extra male voice on it or whoever is quite annoying at times. Hands On Me feels like something Ariana is definitely not whether it be Beyonce or whoever and makes her feel tacky. As for Problem, I was never a fan of it as goes the same for her other single Bang Bang. 

• Like 2

#23 - You Don't Know Me

From The Album: My Everything

Yawn. I don't care about this song- I never liked the whole "you know my name not my story" thing and thats literally the basis of this entire song. It's a decent enough song but I can barely get past the concept. This is especially disappointing because this song ends the album. It's not a terrible song by any means- the production is spot on and Ariana sounds nice. The lyrics and vibe it gives of kills it completely. 

#22 - Only 1

I should probably like this one more than I do. She shows off a nicer, softer tone to her vocals as opposed to the harsher belting she does for most of My Everything. I think it's a case of liking a song less than you probably should- when I think about the songs she's recorded, I often times forget about this one. It's good a nice beat, nice vocals, and a cool jazzy feel but it's just not memorable to me. Unless I'm really paying attention, I also don't really know what she's saying at all. 

#21 - Popular Song 

From The Album: Yours Truly

I used to absolutely love this- I liked the beat, the relaxed vibe, and Mikas vocals. Ariana gets overpowered on this track, honestly. It's another one with a vibe that I just can't get into. The whole "losers in high school become hot and successful, while the popular people become losers!" thing is especially annoying and this whole song is centered around it. I especially don't buy this from Ariana who I seriously doubt was getting dunked in toilets in high school. Mika, maybe. Popular Song just becomes less likable and more annoying the more I hear it. and for something called popular song its awkward that this song didn't even make the billboard top 80

• Like 2

#20 - Just A Little Bit Of Your Heart

This song is nice, but I think Ariana should've gone farther with a song like this. Her vocals remain tame, but this song could've been a lot more powerful. On its own, it's very similar to a superior song, My Everything, and it's nowhere near as good as that one. The production and the harmonies in the chorus as pretty, but the chorus is a let down. I don't like how she says "just a little bit of yo' heart" either. The verses of this song save it, giving very realistic examples of a relationship similar to Ariana's in this one. My favorite part is the end when she finally brings the volume, invoking the power this song should've had from the beginning- My Everything only had room for one low-tempo ballad, and this just wasn't the one. 

#19 - Break Free (ft. Zedd)

From The Album: My Everything

I really loved this song the first time I heard it, but my excitement has dulled slightly. I agree with people who say that her enunciation needs work here, although I think the problem is that the beat lets her down in the verses. Arianas giving her all and for most of the song Zedds production is giving 50%. It's still a great dance track, and one of the better dance hits of last year, that's for sure. Of course theres the complaint that the lyrics don't make sense, but I honestly don't care because, like I said, this is a dance song. The lyrics don't have to make sense, that's not what you're supposed to be focusing on. It's a great dance song that showcases Arianas vocal ability nicely (even sneaking in a whistle tone.) There were two producer-driven tracks on My Everything and while I preferred the other one, this is still a good song, even after hearing it on the radio 50+ times last year.

• Like 2