• Advertisement

Your opinions on music piracy?

Estonia

I dunno, I tend to worry about things that aren't really relevant. This is one of them, like "what if I downloaded music that could be pirated?"

I dunno why I made this topic. Maybe I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Guest hilaryfan80

I don't do it. It's only 99 cents usually....... just pay the 99 cents! Ask your parents to give you a $10 iTunes card and if they say no, just say that you don't want to download the music illegally.

Do the right thing, and not break the law. The punishment for downloading illegal music is $250,000 and up to 10 years in jail. I don't think anyone wants that.

I was for music privacy a few years ago, but then I realized how much pirating things can affect the lives of others. Sure, you might think of the rich celebrity of whom will probably not miss that $1.29 you skipped out on, but what about all the small people who helped to make the album possible? Don't they deserve to be paid too?

If you can't afford music, then there are tons of other options that didn't exist until recently. Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, Google Music... even iTunes has its own Apple Music app now. There are a plethora of options (some of them even being free) that pirating music doesn't even make sense anymore.

I was for music privacy a few years ago, but then I realized how much pirating things can affect the lives of others. Sure, you might think of the rich celebrity of whom will probably not miss that $1.29 you skipped out on, but what about all the small people who helped to make the album possible? Don't they deserve to be paid too?

If you can't afford music, then there are tons of other options that didn't exist until recently. Pandora, Spotify, Rdio, iHeartRadio, Google Music... even iTunes has its own Apple Music app now. There are a plethora of options (some of them even being free) that pirating music doesn't even make sense anymore.

not saying i'm for music piracy or whatever, but the "small" people probably wouldn't be paid regardless lol 

There's no reason to. You can go out and buy the official release to support the artist. It's another thing if that's the only way you can listen to the music and the release isn't in print.

not saying i'm for music piracy or whatever, but the "small" people probably wouldn't be paid regardless lol 

Well, it goes beyond the album production itself. You have all the people who designed the artwork, took the photos, put the booklet together, and developed the CD. Then you have the people working in factories that create the album casing and distribute it to stores for purchase. Then you have all the people working for stores, iTunes or Amazon who help to keep the service going for you to buy an album while serving customer service. There are tons of people that help to bring an album into your collection, even if indirectly. Some of these people are just ordinary people trying to live paycheck to paycheck. All of this is paid for with the low, low fee of $1.29 for unlimited plays of a song. It's worth every penny. :)

Spotify makes it a lot easier for me to listen to the music I want without having to shell out tons of money to get these albums and compilations. They occasionally get rid of albums but they constantly keep adding new ones. I have the premium version and it's money well spent for me so I don't have to pirate anything and I make and download the playlists I make on there to my phone so I can listen to the music on the go offline.

For anything I can't find on Spotify, I just go on Youtube and see if anything I want is there and download the video and convert that to an mp3 file. I don't ever share those files or put them on any torrenting websites either. 

• Like 1

I normally use Spotify to listen to specific music I want to now and that makes it easy for me and it's still legal. If I like an album so much to even consider pirating it, I'll go out and buy a physical copy. I personally would rather have a solid copy of the album than either pirate it or pay for the digital copy. There's something about having the physical CD that just makes it seem more worth it for me.