• Advertisement

BoJack Horseman

SG19

5 hours ago, terminoob said:

I thought the writing for season 3 was really great but I couldn't tell if they're deliberately steering away from comedy or if I just didn't find it as funny as the first two seasons.

I thought it was the funniest season tbh.

9 hours ago, terminoob said:

I thought the writing for season 3 was really great but I couldn't tell if they're deliberately steering away from comedy or if I just didn't find it as funny as the first two seasons.

I think the type of comedy they used primarily in season 3 was Dark Comedy. That is, when horrible things happen, even though it's dark, it's supposed to be funny. British people tend to appreciate Dark Comedy more than American people do.

15 hours ago, 4EverGreen said:

I think the type of comedy they used primarily in season 3 was Dark Comedy. That is, when horrible things happen, even though it's dark, it's supposed to be funny. British people tend to appreciate Dark Comedy more than American people do.

Well, yeah, I know. It's always been a dark comedy because of how heavy the writing gets, and I thought the first two seasons were really funny, but I just didn't think it worked this season at all. Maybe it was just way too dark for my tastes.

I've been watching this show for the past two days.  Currently almost halfway through Season 2 (left off at Chickens) and I'm impressed.  I'm intrigued by all of the main characters and watching them continue to develop in such fascinating ways.  Season 1 was good, but got better as it went along and so far Season 2 has started off pretty great too, although finding intriguing plots for Todd is abundantly clear (I wish he was utilized better since he is my favorite character), it still doesn't deprive itself of its great storytelling.  I am glad I gave this a shot and can't wait to see where this series goes from here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clappy said:

I've been watching this show for the past two days.  Currently almost halfway through Season 2 (left off at Chickens) and I'm impressed.  I'm intrigued by all of the main characters and watching them continue to develop in such fascinating ways.  Season 1 was good, but got better as it went along and so far Season 2 has started off pretty great too, although finding intriguing plots for Todd is abundantly clear (I wish he was utilized better since he is my favorite character), it still doesn't deprive itself of its great storytelling.  I am glad I gave this a shot and can't wait to see where this series goes from here.

You just get to season 3 when it becomes so much <333

Well I managed to binge watch it all today and my brain is cooked but season 4 won me over. I can't tell If I loved it as much as season 3 but the direction they took made me satisfied. A bit thoughts on that:

Spoiler

I have a feeling that this show will be over in season 5 and that's due to BoJack's development in this season but I don't mind it because they fucking nailed at it. After repeating three seasons of BoJack screwing things up, being helpless to fix it and trying to be happy again; this season actually made him a bit better person. Yes, he still screwed stuff up a bit but less than usual and for the most part, he actually made his life easier. I thought they'd go all over with BoJack going miserable again but season 3 finale showed us there's still hope and BoJack somehow earned it all by himself. He built his old summer house again but he destroyed it because it reminded him so much of the past, he was wreckless with taking care of Hollyhock at first but he started to be concerned for her and he found her mother, he kind of saved Princess Carolyn's business and he made peace with her mom (and oh boy, we'll get there). I think there'll still some development left for him but for the most part, he definitely changed and when Hollyhock said she never had a brother before, BoJack smiled and that actually made me happy. Yes, the show's so depressing but finding some hope in it was so unexpected after many punches the show gave in my face, especially 4x11 but I felt like BoJack earned it, so did the audience.

I thought this show couldn't go further with it's eleventh episode after Sarah's death but they did it. When they brought BoJack's mom as a recurring character to this show, I thought it'd be interesting but not as much as other characters but boy, I was wrong. BoJack's mom is still a piece of shit but this season explored her backstory and I actually felt so sorry for her, especially in episode 11, which topped rest imho. Learning that BoJack's father was actually Holycock's father was such a clever twist that they built it up in this season without realizing it. Hollyhock turned out be such a good character that BoJack needed in his life and she was the first person BoJack didn't screw her life up. This show is really depressing but it's also a pretty optimistic series, especially this season and it's finale. After so many things this show depressed me, feeling the happiness, hope and satisfaction the season finale gave me couldn't have been more cheerful for me.

Princess Carolyn's arc was fantastic here. Kind of upsetting she had to dump her boyfriend but she somewhat turned her life around. All she wanted was to balance her work life and her normal life and while she had the most struggle this season, she was confident that she will do anything for better. Through the season, she wanted kids but she couldn't have it by sex. Her boyfriend considered some other options for her but she didn't listen and that led up to her break up with him but at the end of this season she listened him and she considered adoption and I think we'll see more Mommy Carolyn in season 5 and I can't wait for that. This was her best season.

Todd didn't do that much, compared to other characters this season but he had his own episode and that was pretty funny and a good development for his character. I usually don't like when the character's sexuality is their story arc in the entire season but Todd's was engaging. I'm glad the show explored asexuality and aromantism. Accepting his asexuality wasn't the only development he had. For once, he stopped what people wanted from him and he thought of himself at first in his episode and that was pretty nice. I hope to see more Todd in the next season but I really enjoyed him this season.

Perhaps Mr. Peanutbutter and Diane are the only characters that didn't get a happy ending at the end of this season but after 3 seasons, they finally admited each other their relationship problems. Diane had guts to tell Mr. Peanutbutter all she wanted was to have a normal life and Mr. Peanutbutter called Diane out for nothing being enough for her. Even though they were sad at the end, this was a step up in their relationship. I really hope they actually work things through, they clearly make each other happy and their relationship is one of the most compelling ones I've ever seen.

My favorite episode of this season was 4x6 and it's quite possibly my favorite episode of this entire show for being the most relatable story in my life. BoJack's struggles with fixing himself, him constantly blaming himself, telling himself he needs to stop but he keeps doing it, so many voices being in his head and driving him crazy. I have been having those struggles in these past years and I'm so happy to not be alone in this situation. Yeah, most people do experience that but I'm happy this show made an episode full on BoJack's perspective. Not the mention the animation they used to describe BoJack's emotions and thoughts was incredible and BoJack and Mr. Peanutbutter convesation at the bar was one of my all-time favorite moments in the entire show.

Once again, bravo to everyone who worked on this show. They have done it again and I can't wait for the next season.

Grade: A+

I'm probably going to sound really dumb by saying this but does this show get better after the first six or so episodes? Because I watched the first six or so a while back and I just could not get into the show really at all.

Edited by CyanideFishbone
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

I'm probably going to sound really dumb by saying this but does this show get better after the first six or so episodes? Because I watched the first six or so a while back and I just could not get into the show really at all.

Oh, yes. It gets better. While it does start off as a sort of South Park clone, it gets waaaay better.

5 hours ago, CyanideFishbone said:

It gets so much better. You can count on it.

I'm starting to watch the fourth season myself. I think it might be the best season that they've MADE of the series so far! :D Why isn't this show on regular television? It could be making MILLIONS! :cool: I'll tell you what I think of it once I finish the season.

Might as well be humpty-bumping this topic because I just got into this show last Tuesday and I've started to become hooked on it. It kind of reminds me of Curb Your Enthusiasm a little, except it's animated and it's much more darker instead of quirky like Curb. I'm 4 episodes and a Christmas special away from getting up to date (I did 4 episodes per day because my McDonald's is still be shit for my shifts dammit) and I can't wait for Season 5 to come out. Definitely the most interesting show I've binged in a while.

Also, another reason for bumping: This show will be syndicated to Comedy Central and will premiere on September 26th after the South Park Season 22 premiere. So for those who don't have Netflix, there ya go.

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Man, season 5 was nothing but meta. Such a bold decision to tell us that shitty people just don't deserve forgiveness or be treated as normal because they did shitty actions.  I admit that this season won't be in favor of those who wanted to see more of BoJack's progession, instead of reverting back to his old self and I admit that it's a bit concering if they repeat same story of the first three seasons again in season 3 but I actually liked how they handled this. BoJack is trying to be better but that doesn't mean he's still not a shit person. He did so many wrongs in past seasons that those stuff didn't come to the surface (BoJack trying to sleep with a 17 year old, Sarah's overdoze etc) or nobody close to him called out his shit on his worst moments until now. This is why the season felt important to me. BoJack shouldn't be treated as a good person or being treated as normal for making crime-worthy mistakes and that's what some people who watch the show do, including me at times. BoJack becoming better won't remove his horridness, so I'm ok with one step back here. And I was so happy Diane was the one to call him out, despite Diane being a hypocrite on it until she realized that too. I loved the end with BoJack finally getting the help he needed, as well as Diane quitting smoke for the first time. I liked that BoJack won't give up improving himself, although the rehab won't do that, he has to work on his behavior to be better.

- This season was way experimental over previous seasons and it was silly to the point that it kind of lost some of its realism but I thought the experiments they did worked out. Especially to episode 6, hats off to the probably the best episode ever. What a masterpiece that deserves an Emmy. Will Arnett carried his own episode like a pro.-

- I loved more focus on PB's past, Diane's self journey and Mr. Peanutbutter finally realizing why he has been such a bad husband over these days. I wish Todd would be deleloped further but I liked him finally getting an actual job until the end.

- Despite, BoJack hitting a new low, I still like that his relationship with Holyhock is not ruined, despite him dragging her to get painkillers. If there's one thing that BoJack didn't screw up this bad is his relationship with her and I hope it stays that way in season 6.

- If there's one big issue with season 5 is that compared to other seasons, it feels so inchohisive and messy at times. I'm ok with episodic feeling but all the episodes didn't feel connected as much as I hoped they would be.

- Gina and Flip made the season for me. Outstanding characters to be apart of season 5. Pickles was also so good and It's gonna be heartbreaking to see her plotline in season 6, speaking of...

- DAMMIT MR. PEANUTBUTTER.

- Episode 4 is one of my personal favorites for calling out shit people who wants forgiveness over their shitty attitude before. BoJack is amazing when it comes to exploring sexism and criminal behavior and this episode proved that just fine.

- YAY MARGO MARTINDALE IS BACK IS ALIVE AND SHE HAS AMNESIA NO.

After thinking much, I think this season wasn't as good as I expected to be, especially compared to outstanding season 3-4 and I'm worried for them to run out of things to say after how this season followed season 4 but the show continues to be another great addition in golden age of TV.