• Advertisement

Why I Think "Thank Gosh it's Monday" was Cut

Less_SpongeBob

Of course, one thing that seems to be a problem with the new movie for all of us is that the song from the day of positivity was ultimately removed from the finished product. Yes, it was definitely a great song that's upbeat and fun, staying true to the show's vibe yet still being unique and special.

Of course, when you hear the song you just have to question "WHY?"

Well, the first answer that may come to mind relates to the test screening. From what we know, no professionals, long-time fans, or people that were actually in the target audience were invited to it. In fact, some of those people weren't even aware of the second movie's existence. Bizarre, it was only like, 5 weeks before the movie yet advertisements were very rare. It may be thought that these random people didn't quite understand it and put the details before the product as a whole, not understanding the real quality or importance of the song after one viewing and passing it off as filler.

I mean, I can see why people would think that, heck even I thought that once, but I do disagree. 

See, if you seen the movie and call back to the end, it was pretty much "The cast became superheros, the bad guy was stopped, we had an epic action sequence, the town is saved from the apocalypse, Plankton's character was developed..." and all that. Afterwards, seemingly forced in given the lack of continuity and the fact the show can't stay like that, so whoop-dee-doo, everything goes back to normal and the whole movie's literally forgotten and it ends abruptly to cut off to the rap battle. 

Now, given how abrupt the ending was just to keep the status quo, how does having an opening that's grander than the climax make any sense? For a decent story, it usually works best when they introduce the characters and the environment to then have them embark embark on the journey, further developing them and taking them through obstacles, which would then lead to taking them to new places in the end where they'd gain their goal.

When you have an opening number that's more memorable than the end, it comes out as backwards.

Another thing, as far as we know, there were no songs planned for the second half of the film, while there were 4 in the first half. Obviously, the positivity song was cut before it was animated, and "Squeeze Me" was only in the background during the time travel sequences. Again, it may be imbalanced to have all these major numbers very early on where you're only introducing the story. Since it takes longer to create then to destroy, it was probably more practical to cut one of the songs out than to make another one for the second half. I believe they chose the song "Teamwork" because, while probably the weakest of the three, it seemed to be the one that had the most impact to the plot, being the one letting Plankton in on the concept just so the town can survive. "Thank Gosh it's Monday" was merely a catchy song that, I guess, explained when the movie takes place and that SpongeBob's energetic. (Furthermore, it may have been done just so there's one song to really remember the movie by)

Not quite as needed, really.

Do I miss the song? HECK OF COURSE I DO IT WAS FREAKING AMAZING. :wub::pinch:  But I think it was for the better.

Although, that's just my thoughts and you're free to think whatever you wanna think. If you have different opinions, feel free to post it.

I agree with some of this, mostly the imbalance of songs in the second half compared to the first, but man

Are you honestly trying to argue that this fun little 30 second song (that's kiiiinda repetitive/underwhelming imo and is almost a rehash of "Attitude of Gratitude") outshines the climax of the movie, which is perhaps the closest to actual action and character development the show has ever had before?

I just don't see that

I agree with some of this, mostly the imbalance of songs in the second half compared to the first, but man

Are you honestly trying to argue that this fun little 30 second song (that's kiiiinda repetitive/underwhelming imo and is almost a rehash of "Attitude of Gratitude") outshines the climax of the movie, which is perhaps the closest to actual action and character development the show has ever had before?

I just don't see that

It's not really the climax, I did really enjoy that, it's just the few minutes after the climax that got to me.