• Advertisement

Baltimore Riots

Clappy

It's been major news for the past couple days with the recent death of 25 year old Freddie Gray.  As another incident involving the police and brutality towards African-Americans occurred, what happened afterwards is what's making waves with violent protesting that has led to injuries to police officers, burning of personal properties, and robbing of local businesses.  It's also led to sporting events being postponed, local colleges closing down, the mayor declaring a state of emergency, and so much more due to fear of more violent protesting.

Thoughts?  This is somewhat close to home for me since Baltimore, MD is nearly two hours from where I live.  I understand protesting since police mistreating African Americans has been a major concern as of late due to the rising amounts of incidents being reported.  I'm for the protesting, as long as it's peaceful.  These riots are solving nothing and just leading to far more problems since the violent protesting could be considered criminal acts.

Crazy stuff. Heard about somebody running at a line-up of cops in their car at high speeds and the cops, even the emergency vehicles, didn't even flinch or anything and the car ended up turning around. There's a good and bad in everything, ethnic groups, police etc. I can understand the outrage of the people and I'm all for the peaceful protests, but pullin full-on criminal acts, destroying property, businesses, ransacking all dat counter-productiveness ain't gonna help any cause, sends the wrong message to all the young'ns (a lot of the looters being teenagers, apparently), give police more reason to use force if anything and will only lead to more grief on all sides.

Being just about an hour and half, two hours away from makes this seem rather close to me. While I sympathize with the protesters over the police misconduct that seem to becoming more widespread each day, the riots are just pointless. They've almost lost the point of the original protest, as it seems to be purely violent now. I'm a little uncomfortable with the way it's going.