• Advertisement

Academy Awards 2014

Clappy

Holy shit that performance of Everything Is Awesome was fantastic.  Nothing else will top that on this show.  Period.  It was so gloriously weird from the Lego figurine choir to the dancing cowboys, astronauts, etc....and was that Will Arnett dressed as Batman?  Thank you DVR for being able to rewind to notice that.  

Patricia Arquette did fine in Boyhood, but no way in hell was she better than Emma Stone. Hell celebrity crush bias aside, Keira Knightley did a far superior role than any of the other five nominees. Hell, Patricia Arquette wasn't even the best actress in the fucking movie. I know she's been winning nearly all the supporting actress awards on the awards circuit, but this performance doesn't deserve the universal praise it's getting.

Patricia Arquette did fine in Boyhood, but no way in hell was she better than Emma Stone. Hell celebrity crush bias aside, Keira Knightley did a far superior role than any of the other five nominees. Hell, Patricia Arquette wasn't even the best actress in the fucking movie. I know she's been winning nearly all the supporting actress awards on the awards circuit, but this performance doesn't deserve the universal praise it's getting.

Respectfully disagree. Boyhood would've fallen apart without Arquette.

Yeah, she dedicated 12 years of her freaking life to that movie. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I wish Linklater won Best Director for that same reason, but if only one of them could win, I'm glad it's Arquette.

Yeah, she dedicated 12 years of her freaking life to that movie. If that's not dedication, I don't know what is. I wish Linklater won Best Director for that same reason, but if only one of them could win, I'm glad it's Arquette.

I mean, they dedicated a couple days out of each year for 12 years for it. They probably put in the same amount of time as they would've in a normal movie, it's just that this was spread out for a while because that's what the story called for. Linklater did something that probably won't be done again, but there's also that guy doing a 720 hour movie that'll get destroyed after it gets screened and he shouldn't win an Oscar just because of he's doing something different. If Arquette should've won because she dedicated "12 years of her freaking life" to the role then Ethan Hawke should've won too and Ellar Coltrane should've been nominated for Best Actor, because they also dedicated 12 years of their freaking lives to the movie. She won because she was good.

I have no idea how Justin Long's make-up as the walrus-man in Tusk didn't even get a nomination for Best Make-up and Hairstyling. It's not like it would be unusual for a movie like Tusk to get the award, The Fly had similar effects and won the Oscar in 1986.

I have no idea how Justin Long's make-up as the walrus-man in Tusk didn't even get a nomination for Best Make-up and Hairstyling. It's not like it would be unusual for a movie like Tusk to get the award, The Fly had similar effects and won the Oscar in 1986.

Also considering Bad Grandpa got nominated for that, so the Academy isn't adverse to nominating unconventional movies for that award. I still don't agree with Grand Budapest Hotel winning that award so I wouldn't have minded Tusk being nominated instead of that.

I mean, they dedicated a couple days out of each year for 12 years for it. They probably put in the same amount of time as they would've in a normal movie, it's just that this was spread out for a while because that's what the story called for. Linklater did something that probably won't be done again, but there's also that guy doing a 720 hour movie that'll get destroyed after it gets screened and he shouldn't win an Oscar just because of he's doing something different. If Arquette should've won because she dedicated "12 years of her freaking life" to the role then Ethan Hawke should've won too and Ellar Coltrane should've been nominated for Best Actor, because they also dedicated 12 years of their freaking lives to the movie. She won because she was good.

Yeah, I agree. If her performance overall wasn't good, she wouldn't have deserved the Oscar, but the fact that she maintained a good performance over such a long timespan made her especially deserving imo. Even if it's just a few days out of each year, it's still a massive accomplishment, and I'm happy she was recognized for it.