• Advertisement

Metal Snake's Top 10 Least Favorite and Favorite Pony Songs (COMPLETE!) and Animations (ALSO COMPLETE!)

Metal Snake

Least Favorite Cartoons

5. My Little Portal - Christian Cerda

Favorite Quote: "Why would you base an AI system off of Discord?! That's just plain evil!"

This happens to be the second of the three pony animations that almost completely bored me. I watched the short for the first time two years ago, coincidentally a short while after completing the video game Portal, and when I finished watching it, my reaction was "Yeah...I watched that.". When I re-watched it just two weeks ago, I enjoyed it a little more, but still reacted the same way. It's not god-awful, but mediocre. I know it's only the pilot to a series, and everyone knows that the first episode of a show being mediocre or even bad doesn't mean the entire show's bad, but I still have qualms with this pilot specifically.

Unlike a lot of not very good pilots to a crossover series, its glaring flaw is not that it becomes boring by spending too much time with needless exposition, it actually becomes boring by having too little exposition. As I mentioned earlier, I have played Portal in its entirety, and I hardly understood what was going on with what little was actually explained in this short. I can't get engaged with a story if I don't know what the heck the story even is. I hope that the four episodes that followed this were an improvement.

Favorite Cartoons

5. The Elements of Insanity (series) - TheInvertedShadow

Favorite Quote (The Union): "I am so tired of this fuck-ing SHIT! *screen flashes red*"

Just like with pony gore, I know that there are some ponyfans who really dislike this series, but I love it so much. Why? Because it has a half-baked and contrived plot, creepy animation, some screechy voice acting, lots of ridiculous dialogue, and...yeah. I understand the hate to an extent. But I've really enjoyed watching the series even while noticing those flaws along the way.

The half-baked and contrived plot I mentioned earlier actually stems from a pretty cool premise concerning the Mane 6 from MLP:FiM encountering evil spirits (of Team Fortress 2 characters no less, oh GMOD XD) in a graveyard, becoming possessed by them, and in turn, becoming criminally insane monsters. The premise combined with the nutty and even sometimes sadistic humor gives me a slight Evil Dead vibe, a vibe I don't think I've gotten from any other pony videos. I was also easily able to overlook the other flaws I mentioned earlier when I grew accustomed to them and even started to feel that they actually contributed to the mood of the series. After all, it is a comedy of both horror and errors not meant to be taken seriously. Not everyone's thing, but definitely my thing. :D

Yesh I have some favorites from back in the day when I was still a fan (Pinkie's Party, At The Gala 20% cooler remix (as generic as those two are :P) one by Vinyl Scratch I can't reminder the title of and etc). I have to agree looking back that Love Me Cheerilee song was a bit creepy.

• Like 1

Least Favorite Cartoons

4. Sonic Derpboom - Ponies En Reversa

Favorite Moment: The looks on the ponies' faces when they see the flying muffin.

It feels so abrupt, but the Trilogy of Bore is getting wrapped up here and now. Yes, this is the last of the three animations that almost completely bored me, and easily the worst of the three. Everypony Plays Sport Games at least tried to tell jokes. My Little Portal at least tried to tell an epic story. Can you guess what this tried to do? Nothing. It sounds like I'm being a harsh critic, but I'm actually just making a statement. Nothing happens in this short other than Derpy doing a flying move to get a flying muffin. And no jokes are told. This animation...is just animation. Trying to describe how I feel about it is like trying to describe my feelings on a candy wrapper. Without a piece of candy wrapped in it and maybe a joke written on it, it's just paper.

Favorite Cartoons

4. SHED.MOV - hotdiggedydemon

Favorite Moment: All the skeletons in the shed coming to life and singing while Fluttershy sawed Rainbow Dash.

Congrats Bubble, you were close enough to get the cigar. There is A hotdiggedydemon movie on this list. Though I do quite like the series, I don't love all the shorts equally. DRESS.MOV is my least favorite with some funny lines but nothing spectacular, followed by PARTY.MOV with a similar case, then MAGIC.MOV with some great jokes, then APPLE.MOV with some hilarious dialogue and trippy shit, then SWAG.MOV with its brilliant action scenes and good conclusion to the series, and finally this, with awesome jokes, dialogue, and sweet, sweet macabre. Also, Fat Albert Fluttershy at her best. :3 I've seen this short well over five times and I still love it.

Least Favorite Cartoons

3. My Little Parody - Derpy's Adventure - fhilslife

Favorite Quote: "I'm going back in time to kill your mother before she gives birth! .....To you."

Another animation that's a pilot to a series. Is it another pilot that's mediocre? No, it's bad. First of all, you may have noticed in all my other short little reviews of these cartoons that I never once commented on their art styles. That's because I typically don't care about how animation looks so long as it's entertaining, but now's the point where I finally feel it's a problem. The art style in this short is ugly. It tries to go for a PONY.MOV series look, but lacks any vibrancy or color depth. Speaking of PONY.MOV, guess what kind of humor this short tries to go for? You guessed right, stupid humor. And you guessed right again, it's not done right. Derpy rips off a pony's arm...she knocks down a sign...crashes her car into a wall twice...and Celestia is an evil daycare teacher. I don't get it. Bleh.

Favorite Cartoons

3. (Tie) Don't Mine at Night - JanAnimations/ Hijo de la Luna - FlashQuatsch

Favorite Quote (DMaN): "I FAILED! ...So bad."

Favorite Moment (HdlL): The stabbing of the gypsy.

The last music video animations on this list, and my two all-time favorites. Commenting on art styles once again, the art style of Don't Mine at Night is fantastic. It looks JUST LIKE an episode of MLP:FiM. The entertainment factor is pretty high too with really good visual gags and how it makes you feel so sorry for Button. XD Hijo de la Luna is just as cool to me, however. It's not just a ponified version of the song's original music video, it's entirely different and actually shows an awesome reenactment of the story the song tells. It's really fun seeing how the story plays out. The only problem is that the song is in Spanish and Youtube's subtitle translator isn't the best. "MOON YOU WANT TO BE MOTHER! YOU CAN NOT FIND LOVE THAT MAKES YOU A WOMAN!" Lol, how in the world did I ever prefer subtitles over dubs. XD

Least Favorite Cartoons

2. Rainbow Dash's New iPhone - ZacMasters

Favorite Quote: "Rainbow Dash, you should be watching where you're going these days!"

Holy mother of damn, this is bad. This animation is an adaptation of a My Little Pony toy stop-motion short made for the lulz. It seems like an innocent premise, but unfortunately, this animation's giant fatal flaw is that it didn't realize that the standards of a cartoon are a bit different than the aforementioned. With that in mind, criticizing the voice acting and animation in this short is fair game in my eyes. The voice acting is SO off with all three of the voices making no effort at trying to sound in-character, and the animation is extremely sluggish, making no effort to make you feel like you're watching a cartoon. The dialogue and gags here are a joke. Literally. Even without the lulzy-bad voice acting, I still wouldn't be able to help facepalming and chuckling at the same time at lines like "WHAT THE HELLO KITTY" and visual humor like a Rainbow Dash recoloring crashing into a tree because Applejack said "TREE!". I am NOT making this up. This short is just lazy and laughable in so many ways.

Favorite Cartoons

2. Fall of the Crystal Empire - Silly Filly Studios

Favorite Moment: Luna's speech about the shadows.

Ooh boy, when I first watched this animation two months ago, it blew me away. I just loved so much about it, especially all of the imagination that went into the fighting scenes. Even though there's no (dearly loved) gore, it's still a ton of fun watching ponies duke it out with a combination of weapons and magic. Watching it again today, I do realize I overlooked a quirk or two, particularly the portrayal of Celestia and Luna being a little off (I've never known them to be fascinated with the words "fool" and "coward"). Sombra's portrayal, however, I still absolutely love. I know the guy isn't renowned for having great depth to his character, but it's still awesome how the badassery just...COMES to him throughout the whole thing. Oh yeah, and despite my little comment of criticism earlier, I do like what happens with Luna close to the end. It's so cool. So cool this animation is.

Least Favorite Cartoons

1. No Reason to Live - EDplus777

Favorite Moment: The look on Lyra's face when she dies.

Oh. my. I can...still remember the days when I was a hater of gore, of which I am now a lover. I can't believe the negative post I made about Cupcakes way back in December 2011 nowadays. This kind of thing on the other hand...I just can't imagine myself warming up to. This animation is supposed to be serious, dealing with the issue of manic depression and suicide. The problem? It doesn't tell a story. It's only two minutes long and I can summarize it in ten seconds flat not even. A pony apparently gets bullied and shouted at by every pony he meets (including Applejack, Rarity, and even PINKIE PIE), which drives him to cutting himself, then COMMITTING MURDER AND KILLING HIMSELF. Wha...I don't even...just...WHAT. WHY DID EVERYONE HATE THIS KID?! WHAT DID HE DO?! WHY DID HE KILL SOMEONE?! WHO. WHAT. WHY. This little tale has no build-up, no depth to it, and all the emotion it tries to make you feel is artificial. You can't just make something about a serious issue and expect everything to fall into place. This animation didn't even do the one thing it tried to do right. I know I ragged on Sonic Derpboom for not trying to be anything, but to be fair, I was exaggerating a little. It was just trying to be an innocent little short, and despite being boring, it succeeded at that. This was just trying to be serious and failed at it.

Favorite Cartoons

1. A Tale of One Shadow - NastasiaSolitude

Favorite Moment: Sombra's death.

How intriguing. For the 1. spot of both these lists, we get the brother of dark, and the brother of light. A serious animation done poorly, and a serious animation done VERY well. This cartoon has to do with giving a possible explanation as to how Sombra became who he is, and it's a pretty grim tale. Sombra starts off as a pretty cool dude, but when he starts getting into dark magic, he ends up summoning a dark clone of himself, apparently a manifestation of his inner evil. The two have an epic and thrilling battle, and Sombra not only loses, but DIES. And in more than one sense. After he dies, it's implied that the dark clone fused with him and that's how he became who he is. What can I say except that this animation really impresses me with its dark tone and how it makes me feel real sentiment for Sombra. The poor guy lost his body and soul...pretty amazing how deep this animation is.

All that's left now is you know what...

Least Favorite Cartoons

Honorable Mentions

3. Chaotic Wedding - MrPoniator

I think you guys all know now that I think MrPoniator's a pretty good artist, but this is...one of his notably weaker works. I only found one part to be really funny and the "THERE'S NO JOKE HERE" thing at the end was just...what. Even MrPoniator himself doesn't seem to look back on this thing in a positive light.

2. Gives You Hell (PMV) - Kenny987

This video has nothing to do with the song. It doesn't make a lick of sense. I bet it's never even tasted sense before in its digital life. It is compellingly bad though, I'll give it that. :D

1. Derpy's Friendly Competition - Derpy Hooves

No, the reason I dislike it is not because of what happened to Fluttershy. The reason I dislike it is because it makes no sense. And not in a good way.

Champion. MLP: Equestria Girls - CoolAttractivePeople

Hey guys, let's just make a bad animation just because of this reason why. This animation speaks for itself even louder than that Button's Mom song. They just made a bad animation and thought that just because it was deliberately made bad, it would be funny. Well I'm afraid to say that I did not think it was that funny really. End of story.

And of course...

Spoiler

I forgot to mention this particular song when I was talking about H8_Seed in my Favorite Songs list...

It's my second favorite song of his. It has good beat, good lyrics, and good theme. Oh yeah, and also...

Least Favorite Cartoons

Champion. Cupcakes the Revenge - retil213

Favorite Moment: Pinkie getting thrashed by that robot thing.

Yup, don't tell me you didn't see this coming. Something involving killing ponies is my least favorite pony animation of all time. Maybe there was another part of me that put tiarawhy's Cupcakes on this list for the reason of foreshadowing this. However, tiarawhy's Cupcakes was a mostly decent work with some problems, and this is a mostly terrible work with a lot of problems. The plot of it is that after Rainbow Dash was murdered by Pinkie Pie in the original Cupcakes, she was brought back to life by one of Twilight's spells, and now, she and her friends proceed to kidnap Pinkie to torture her out of vengeance and kill her. ...Wow. I...only wrote the shortest possible summary of this short's premise and I've already given myself critique material. How can Rainbow just be brought back to life because of a spell and why are all of them just going along with torturing and killing Pinkie for their own personal satisfaction?!

Believe it or not, that isn't even the nail that seals the coffin. This animation is also marred horribly by laughably bad dialogue in the subtitles with no regard for proofreading (WOW AS IT WOULDN'T BE SURPRISE ENAUGH), lots of filler with me losing track of how much time is spent with the ponies just walking around and blabbering exposition, and worst of all, minimal effort put into the main event...a pony getting a good ball of torture and death. Enjoyed that scene of Pinkie getting thrashed around I did, I was beyond disappointed at how short and lacking in creativity it was. The one scene of actual macabre we get in this seventeen-minute short of macabre is only three minutes long. Wow. This is the reigning champion of my Least Favorite Cartoons list hands down.

Favorite Cartoons

Honorable Mentions

3. Friendship is Manly - kanashiipanda

Once Upon a Time in Canterlot is good, but this short by the same dude, I like even better. You can't go wrong with the Mane 6 as big, handsome men partying hard.

2. Your Nightmare - AgrolChannel

Pretty cool. I really liked the horror vibe I picked up from it and the very end of it was funny.

1. Age of Empires - My Little Classics, Gaming is Magic - Yudhaikeledai

Celestia and Luna are playing a game with each other, and ponies are fighting and dying. I sort of get it, and entirely like it.

Champion. Nuclear Winter Wonderland - Stable-Tec Studios

Oh Fallout Equestria. I've never read you, yet I somehow manage to enjoy everything the fans of you put out. I like this just as much the GMod short reenactments and adaptations. It puts me in mind of Futurama of all things, and that song is fun to hum too.

Now, it is time for the end...

Spoiler

...of the Director's Cut of this list, featuring an interview with the metallic snake/fluffy medieval beast himself! :D

Metal Snake: Yeah, the choice for 6. of my Least Favorite Animations was originally going to be this short called "Meet the...No Wait, That's Blood :/", or something like that, but I changed it because...]

Ugh, no wonder no one watches this shit. >.< Never mind folks, here's a special bonus feature I think you will all enjoy a lot more...

Favorite Cartoons

Champion. Smile HD - MisterDavie

Favorite Moment: The fight scene with Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

This animation describes everything I stand for, everything I believe in, everything I hope for, and what I like to watch in my free time on occasion. MisterDavie fucking rules man. I really like his shorts, I love Cupcakes HD, and I absolutely adore this. It's Pinkie Pie murdering her friends in graphic and magnificent detail, all just because she can. The animation is beautiful, the fighting scenes are fantastic, and all of the blood and gore is divine. I've watched it well more than ten times now and I really wish I could elaborate more on why I love it so much, but...how can I? It's something that I love in its purest form...art. Behold the reigning champion of my Favorite Cartoons list. Smile HD, I love you with all of my heart. :D

You've all played a great role in this project. Thank you all for reading.