• Advertisement

An Episode a Day Keeps the Suds Away

Sebby

Naughty Nautical Neighbors

At this point, we can start to see where the show's trademark humor started to really kick off. While this episode's premise was simple in nature, it wasn't as slow-paced as "Jellyfishing," and had some of the most appropriately timed gags anyone could ask for. The bubble-messenger scene in the beginning had many quotable lines such as, "Well, I think you're ugly! Yellow is ugly! Pbbt!" It's probably one of Patrick's most unexpected comeback lines that are later revisited in "New Student Starfish." SpongeBob and Patrick's bonding attempts with Squidward were just downright hilarious. There's just too many great moments to list .You could tell the writers had a blast coming up with each scene. Also, I don't know what it is, but something about Squidward's "Oh-ho! My back!" quote at the end always gets me.

• Like 3

Boating School

How appropriate I'm watching this episode on the day I finally get my own car! This one is also worthy of the "classic" title. In fact, it's one of the earliest SpongeBob episodes that I remember watching and that got me instantly hooked on the show. Here we are introduced to the female equivalent of Squidward, Mrs. Puff. (Come to think of it, why haven't those two gotten together yet?) Yet again, SpongeBob is eager and determined to pass his boating exam, only to fail for the 38th time. Being the season-one-only mentor that he is, Patrick decides to feed SpongeBob notes during the test on how to flawlessly drive a boat. Yes, I know what you're thinking. How in the deep blue does Patrick know so much about boating when he doesn't get his own license till season four? Back to the point, this was a very charming episode. My favorite scene is when Patrick is just randomly trying on SpongeBob's clothes and snooping through his diary. Also, you gotta give Sponge props for his integrity. After all, cheaters never prosper, am I right?

Pizza Delivery

Ah yes, a good old buddy episode-- at least as SpongeBob would put it. Some of SpongeBob's most memorable antics are showcased throughout, as well as Squidward's grumpiness and his roll as the straight man. One of my favorite moments is when they are trying to find something to eat and Squidward tries to tempt SpongeBob into eating the pizza. Just that evil look on Squidward's face was priceless. As I recall this is the first episode in which SpongeBob cries (something that is heavily exploited in recent seasons). This scene is quite moving as we see Squidward still has sympathy for the yellow guy as he shows the rude customer what for. Gotta love those subtle bonding moments.

Home Sweet Pineapple

This episode is another example of humor that is well-timed and not too overwhelming. In my opinion, the whole nighttime scene with Patrick's rock is to SpongeBob SquarePants what the chocolate conveyer-belt scene is to I Love Lucy. I mean, how could you not love "SPIDERS! GET 'EM OFF ME!" or Squidward absentmindedly letting SpongeBob into his bed? One thing I must point out is that the cel animation really stands out in this episode, whether it be when SpongeBob's house is shrinking around him or when the background turns with the wrench. We'll never get a classic like this ever again.

• Like 3