• Advertisement

Grojband

terminoob

Hey, here's a show! It's by Todd Kaufman, who seems to be one of the only people in Canada doing cartoons.

grojband.jpeg?w=584&h=438

If you haven't seen it, it's a cartoon that's about a garage band trying to get to super stardom (and yes, there is a song per episode). Apparently it's been airing on Cartoon Network since mid-June, but I've yet to see a commercial or advertisement or anything for it.

I can't make up my mind about this show. I think I like it, but that might be because of the style. The characters are... weird, the dialogue is really self-aware, and I still don't know if the band is supposed to be unpopular and terrible or if they're supposed to be really good and popular or what.

So. Discuss. Have at it. What have you.

It is far from spectacular, but I do kinda like the characters and the trippy aspects of it (drumming to solve math problems, genies on farms, and getting ideas for lyrics from rage-inspired words a girl writes in her diary, wat).

The writing is alright, and so are the songs, but the animation is actually really good and fluid, especially for a flash cartoon. The characters are moderately interesting too. Nothing I'd go out of my way to watch, but it seems like it aspires to be more than just another flash cartoon. I like it.

and getting ideas for lyrics from rage-inspired words a girl writes in her diary, wat).

This is probably my least favorite part of the show, and I think it's what stops it from being so good. It pretty much cemented in a formula from the get-go and now every episode has to start and end the same exact way. If Corey didn't have to rely on Trina's diary then the episodes would be much more wacky and insane and they wouldn't have to hold anything back (granted, the songs are pretty great so it may be a good thing that the show is so formulaic).

This is probably my least favorite part of the show, and I think it's what stops it from being so good. It pretty much cemented in a formula from the get-go and now every episode has to start and end the same exact way. If Corey didn't have to rely on Trina's diary then the episodes would be much more wacky and insane and they wouldn't have to hold anything back (granted, the songs are pretty great so it may be a good thing that the show is so formulaic).

I actually thought the idea was funny, but what I don't like about it is that Corey HAS to use Trina's diary in order for the band to play a song at the end. Why is it a "But thou must" situation? I don't care about the explanation that they're "not good at coming up with lyrics", it ruins the fun. I also can't help but get a bad feeling that people are going to start calling this show a Phineas and Ferb wannabe.

I actually thought the idea was funny, but what I don't like about it is that Corey HAS to use Trina's diary in order for the band to play a song at the end. Why is it a "But thou must" situation? I don't care about the explanation that they're "not good at coming up with lyrics", it ruins the fun. I also can't help but get a bad feeling that people are going to start calling this show a Phineas and Ferb wannabe.

Varying reasons, probably.

- They can let the episode run its course without having the need for lyrics be a distraction (and instead be able to use it at as a driving force behind the episode)

- It's easy

- Corey needs to have some fault in his character

- It's a good way to not need anyone to have character development because the episodes are only 11 minutes long

• Like 1

It's alright, I'll watch it. This is one of the shows that air on cartoon network and didn't get a bunch of commercials about the premiere so I didn't know it existed until last week.

The show sounds like Regular Show and Regular Show sucks now.

When the hell did Regular Show become the go-to show that people use as a bar to judge suckiness on?

This isn't Regular Show. This is nothing remotely close to Regular Show; the only thing it has in common is the fact that it has an 11 minute episodic format, and Regular Show wasn't the first to use that. This show is a about a garage band, not two bros broing it out in Brosville USA.

If you think this sounds like a terrible show, that's fine, but it's not Regular Show.

• Like 1

Is it worth it?

I think it is for the animation alone, but I'm into that kinda stuff so it may not be the same for you. Watching the first episode will give you a good feel for the show (since it falls into a formula that's used in the first episode), so if you wanna test the waters then go ahead. It's extremely hyper and they break the fourth wall a bit and you need a good suspension of disbelief for a lot of things (there's an episode where they just sorta... get instruments with super powers with no real explanation).

• Like 1