• Advertisement

The Amazing Spider-Man

Clappy

More excited about this than DKR.

Yeah, I said it. Get at me.

Getting at you.

But hey, I don't blame you actually. I am looking forward to this movie with much anticipation. Especially with the scenes I've caught online gets me that much more stoked.

you already saw in theaters?

Midnight releases, they are wonderful things. ;)

Anywho, I too saw this at midnight.

The negatives: Revisiting the same plot points from 2002's Spider-Man. I get that plot points like Uncle Ben's death are key for the character of Peter Parker, but it just felt been there, done that, to me. Maybe it wouldn't bug me as much if this movie didn't come out ten years after the original Spider-Man, but what is old doesn't feel like new to me. It just felt old.

The positives: Everything else. Yes I just complained about how it doesn't feel like new to me, call me hypocritical. This was better than the Sam Raimi Spider-Man sequels. I never saw all the hoopla about how Spider-Man 2 was amazing, I just felt it was good, not great. Then of course, this makes up for the lackluster Spider-Man 3. It really helps that the cast was well rounded and complimented each other perfectly. Then of course the direction. Who would have thought that rom-com director Marc Webb would be this diverse and be able to handle a much-hyped superhero reboot. He even managed to make this movie feel very dark at times (not going to spoil scenes). I feel that this franchise is in the right hands with an obvious sequel is coming in May 2014.

Speaking of sequels, who the hell do you think was the mysterious guy after the credits? My money is on the Green Goblin.

Midnight releases, they are wonderful things. ;)

Anywho, I too saw this at midnight.

The negatives: Revisiting the same plot points from 2002's Spider-Man. I get that plot points like Uncle Ben's death are key for the character of Peter Parker, but it just felt been there, done that, to me. Maybe it wouldn't bug me as much if this movie didn't come out ten years after the original Spider-Man, but what is old doesn't feel like new to me. It just felt old.

The positives: Everything else. Yes I just complained about how it doesn't feel like new to me, call me hypocritical. This was better than the Sam Raimi Spider-Man sequels. I never saw all the hoopla about how Spider-Man 2 was amazing, I just felt it was good, not great. Then of course, this makes up for the lackluster Spider-Man 3. It really helps that the cast was well rounded and complimented each other perfectly. Then of course the direction. Who would have thought that rom-com director Marc Webb would be this diverse and be able to handle a much-hyped superhero reboot. He even managed to make this movie feel very dark at times (not going to spoil scenes). I feel that this franchise is in the right hands with an obvious sequel is coming in May 2014.

Speaking of sequels, who the hell do you think was the mysterious guy after the credits? My money is on the Green Goblin.

About the negative point (spoilers because I don't want people complaining I ruined it)

Spoiler

The thing I liked about Uncle Ben's death this time around was that it was different than the first time. Yeah, he still got shot, but the circumstances were different... sort of. The convenient store scene was better than the wrestling room scene, mostly because this one still had comedy (the banter between the clerk and Peter was great, and the robber just casually tossing Peter his milk was pretty funny too).

I didn't stay for the credits, so I have no idea. My money would be on Norman Osborne/Green Goblin, though.

About the negative point (spoilers because I don't want people complaining I ruined it)

Spoiler

The thing I liked about Uncle Ben's death this time around was that it was different than the first time. Yeah, he still got shot, but the circumstances were different... sort of. The convenient store scene was better than the wrestling room scene, mostly because this one still had comedy (the banter between the clerk and Peter was great, and the robber just casually tossing Peter his milk was pretty funny too).

I didn't stay for the credits, so I have no idea. My money would be on Norman Osborne/Green Goblin, though.

Spoiler

Good point, I did enjoy it for your reasons too, but the emotional attachment just wasn't there for me this time around. Yeah the circumstances were different this time around, but like you said, he still got shot. That's the problem I have with different origin stories, you know what's coming from miles away whether you read the comics or not. Especially when it's too soon for a reboot like this one.

. Regardless, I greatly enjoyed it though, whether the reboot came too soon or not.

Gonna be seeing this tomorrow, hopefully.

EDIT: Gotta say, it was pretty damn good. I felt more emotion from Peter and Gwen's relationship than Peter and MJ in the original trilogy. Hell, I'm just happy they used Gwen first to begin with. I liked how they played up Ben's death here better than the original, too. Like how they made Flash Thompson the Spider-Man fanboy he's meant be at the end. I can see him becoming this series' Venom down the line, but somebody needs to do Eddie Brock justice. As for the post-credits scene, common logic says Norman, my messed up logic says Mysterio considering his whole disappearing/reappearing act throughout the entire scene. If common logic proves to be true, then this movie took a well played page out of Nolan's Batman book by using a lesser known villain to terrorize the first movie in order to lead up to the Big Bad appearing in the sequel. Much better build-up that way. And with Norman, Harry's not too far behind so that's something.

Saw it yesterday in IMAX and it was really good! I like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone way more than Tobey Magiuire and Kirsten Dunst, and the directing/acting was great. I liked the way the story progressed more in this one, too.

Spoiler

When Gwen Stacy gets killed off and they need to introduce MJ, I think they use red-headed Emma Stone. It's genius.

Yes, yes, yes....someone suggest this to Sony and Marvel pronto.

This was amazing. It was so much better than the original in so many ways.

For one, the cast is flawless (I may have a bias; I love Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone) and dialogue flowed naturally with delivery believable and added reality to the film. The relationship between Gwen and Peter was also much better than Peter/MJ, as Clappy stated, and I absolutely loved watching them. Comedic relief was also sprinkled throughout the film and Andrew Garfield definitely was the better Spider-Man. There were some things that could be seen from a mile away (the doctor being the lizard; Doctor Octopus in the second film, anyone? Gwen's father dying. Different circumstances, but I found his death and the Green Goblin's dead in the original film to be very similar. They were both fathers, both impaled by green, and both gave heartwrenching talks with Peter as they died) but overall, a solid A.

There were some things that could be seen from a mile away (the doctor being the lizard; Doctor Octopus in the second film, anyone?)

That wasn't exactly a mystery to begin with, unless you went in without knowing anything and hoped they'd make you go "JINKIES, IT WAS CONNORS ALL ALONG". They even spoiled it on The Daily Show by showing the scene of Peter talking to Mr. Stacy in the police station. And there's the fact that it's following an already set story that people know, so. Yeah.

• Like 1