• Advertisement

286b. Sir Urchin and Snail Fail

Jjs Goodman

Slapstick comedy, is without a doubt; one of the oldest forms of visual comedy to be successful. After all, what requires Slapstick Comedy to be successful, is merely setting up an ordinary task, and having someone clumsy and/or inept to mess it up somehow. Sir Urchin's job is to provide the setup, and for Snail Fail to provide the slapstick. However, during one of their regularly live episode airings, Snail Fail finally has ENOUGH of acting like a dolt, and breaks into a serious Shakespeare monologue. He wants to be treated like a SERIOUS Thespian who's known for MORE than just cheap laughs at someone else's expense! Snail Fail LITERALLY walks offstage, bringing their show within a show to an abrupt halt! Not wanting the successful relationship to be over, Spongebob and Patrick decide to split up in order to find the duo! Patrick LITERALLY lucks out by finding Sir Urchin driving a taxi as his replacement job; but Sir Urchin wants to find somebody to be his NEW Snail Fail! So, Patrick agrees to take a shot at it; while Spongebob tracks Snail Fail down to his fancy home. When Snail Fail states that he wants a chance to act seriously on the stage, Spongebob decides to take him to Shady Shoals Retirement Home, since the audience THERE would be old enough to appreciate such fine theater! Unfortunately, the Senior Citizens ONLY want Snail Fail to do his usual slapstick, while Patrick doesn't quite understand the fine art of timing and punchlines when it comes to slapstick! Thankfully, at the same time, both Snail Fail and Sir Urchin find out that there is a Talent Show tonight in Bikini Bottom! NEVER thought we'd get to see the Didgeridoo Player from Season 2 or the Alligators from "Swamp Buddies" again! When Snail Fail and Sir Urchin find out that the other is there, they immediately come to blows; refusing to follow the other! However, their mayhem takes them right ONTO the stage, where the audience starts loudly cheering for them: and they realize that having an audience cheer for them, is what they wanted all along. Thankfully, Sir Urchin decides to compromise with Snail Fail, by allowing him more chances to break up into serious monologues, BEFORE shifting into more silly slapstick! I'd give this episode a 9.5 out of 10. Enough said, true believers!

Also saw this yesterday during my brief excursion to Nickelodeon, so I might as well post about it! The overall idea of this episode gives me some vibes of the old Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy episodes, specifically the first one since that one revolves around SpongeBob and Patrick trying to get them out of retirement, which sorta runs parallel to here with SpongeBob and Patrick trying to reunite Sir Urchin and Snail Fail. It was pretty cool seeing an urchin and a snail not being portrayed as mere pests or house pets for once, which raises some questions about the hierarchy of the underwater world in which they live in, but I’ll refrain. I probably would’ve appreciated their shtick more if they had more of a Tom and Jerry-esque dynamic (given they’re the mouse and cat of the sea). Like have Snail Fail be fed up with being on the losing end of the shtick all the time and have that be the catalyst for their breakup. But other than that, pretty mellow episode that harkens a bit back to the MM & BB formula. And dost thine eyes deceive me? Was that a cameo appearance by Joey of Boys Who Cry?? And he’s trying to go solo like on SpongeBrawl?! I agree with jjs, I wanted to see grandma give them all cracks by the end. If this was her Tom in Chocolate With Nuts moment, then good call.

I give it 3 Boys Who Cry out of 5

• Thanks 1