• Advertisement

Ready Player One(2018)

dragiiin123

This book takes me back to 8th grade when this kid who always used to pick on me who was at the same time was one of those kids that did no work in class everyday, but fucked up my self esteem quite a bit. I just remember he always had Lootcrate because he would wear the t-shirts and he was always reading this book and my teachers constantly told him to stop reading it in class because I think it was from a Lootcrate...

Man, I apologize for bringing something dark from my life here, man. Anyway I forgot this book existed until now. When was the idea of a film adaptation announced? Because the buzz about it, at least to me, was like 2/3 years ago

Edited by CyanideFishbone

50 minutes ago, CyanideFishbone said:

This book takes me back to 8th grade when this kid who always used to pick on me who was at the same time was one of those kids that did no work in class everyday, but fucked up my self esteem quite a bit. I just remember he always had Lootcrate because he would wear the t-shirts and he was always reading this book and my teachers constantly told him to stop reading it in class because I think it was from a Lootcrate...

Man, I apologize for bringing something dark from my life here, man. Anyway I forgot this book existed until now. When was the idea of a film adaptation announced? Because the buzz about it, at least to me, was like 2/3 years ago

Wikipedia's saying that the film rights were bought before the novel was published (I think I remember seeing somewhere that it was originally a film pitch that Ernest Cline couldn't get off the ground so he made it into a book) but I don't think it was anything serious until Spielberg got attached in 2015.

• Like 1

Yes, i know someone has already made a topic about this but that one seems more like a joke thread than any serious discussion about the upcoming movie so keep that in mind.

Discuss about the upcoming movie here, i'd like to know if your going to see it, what is your current opinions on the trailer, etc.

2 hours ago, Polar Claus said:

Yes, i know someone has already made a topic about this but that one seems more like a joke thread than any serious discussion about the upcoming movie so keep that in mind.

We're talking about the book the movie is based off of. Why does that make this a joke thread?

• Like 1

I read the book.  I liked it despite how many people were telling me they weren’t fans of it.

I thought the movie was fine.  Definitely better than the trailers were leading me to believe.  Because every trailer I saw for this looked pretty bad.  So congrats on defying my expectations on that front.

The visuals were pretty great.  This is the best looking Speilberg movie I’ve seen in a long time.  Since Speilberg has focused more on prestige films in the past ten to fifteen years, its great to know that he can visually tell a story in a blockbuster like this that’s so heavy on CGI.

If I had any complaints, it’s that the characters are not the strongest.  Wade wasn’t the most interesting character in the book, but somehow he’s even less interesting in the movie.  His dysfunctional home life did not get explored as well as it did in the book.  It’s pretty much an after thought here, which sucks because that was his driving force to spending as much as time as he did in the OASIS.  It made us feel a more emotional bond with him because we all can relate for that escapism with being members on a SpongeBob site for example.  To be honest, I wished the movie was more about Samantha to be honest.  Even though once again, her character was more interesting in the book, out of all the protagonists in this movie, she was the strongest developed.  The antagonist, Sorrento, was probably the best character in the movie.  He felt as menacing of a presence as I did reading about him in the book and I was intrigued by him from the get go.

And of course, the other glaring weakness of the movie.  The pop culture references.  I knew that was to be expected from the trailer.  I love pop culture references.  Shoot, one of my favorite television shows right now (Stranger Things) plays up the 80s-ness to its benefit.  Same goes for one of my favorite movies of last year, IT.  But Ready Player One practically bombards you with it and like I said, I was expecting that.  It just started to become overkill to an extent to make these references feel vapid and hollow.

Overall, it was fine for what it was.  I liked it more than I expected to.  But to me, I preferred the book.

planning to see this tomorrow. partly because i want it to either surprise me or turn into a magnificent trainwreck. my friends have made endless jokes about it over the past week, we're all hyped

either way.... it has to be better than the book, right????

DFcg38mXsAImnJB-1.jpg?zoom=2&w=474

right?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?

i read excerpts from the book and thought it was cringeworthy garbage but i pretty much loved this.  saw it twice in two days.  pretty much done with doubting Spielberg on anything after he did this.

one tomorrow later:

by the end of the movie, the literal only thing i could think of was "this could make for good material for a YMS or Ralphthemoviemaker video".

massively underwritten, ridden with cliches, poorly acted, has the cameos used as pawns and occasionally... in questionable manners(like, why the fuck is the iron giant USED AS A WEAPON), and overall no goodio. that the first five minutes were scrambled and they had to start the whole movie over was the highlight

and yet, it's still much better than the book, wtf

Originally, I rated it 3/10, but later decided to bump it up a point, if only for that one specific cameo that may literally be the only reason this banked in 50 million on weekend one.

Spoiler

On 3/31/2018 at 2:20 PM, Burgerpants said:

planning to see this tomorrow. partly because i want it to either surprise me or turn into a magnificent trainwreck. my friends have made endless jokes about it over the past week, we're all hyped

either way.... it has to be better than the book, right????

DFcg38mXsAImnJB-1.jpg?zoom=2&w=474

right?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!?

image.jpg

• Thanks 1