• Advertisement

Teen Titans Go movie in July 27, 2018

BoJack Horseman

Pros:

-All the songs were catchy, none of the cringy kind. Although I think the Go rap would've had more impact if it hadn't been heard before the final battle? I don't know, the first version was awkward and overall very few differences between it and the remix exist. They could've just been out of sync while singing it and lost to Balloon Man that way.

-Slaaaadeeee. I liked his evolving reactions to the Titans even if his plan was textbook stuff. I didn't know what Go's continuity was doing with Jade Wilson, so I was a little surprised that it was just Slade wearing a Jade suit the whole time.

-The movie did as much as it could to piss off parents. Lot of dark jokes only the TTG writers would gleefully add in.

-The action and heart was balanced, something TTG usually mocks the idea of using. The movie lampshaded how hax the Titans' powers are when they use them right, and I enjoyed when Starfire went back to hug Robin.

-Teen Titans...Season 6?! The only way I'll be okay enough to consider it canon though is if it commits to being a Starfire focus season. Don't fanservice to fanservice and ruin your material to appease those that didn't understand its ambiguity. I'd facepalm at the irony of people saying their childhood is ruined because of a completely separate project from Teen Titans and then the actual continuity of the old series being tainted because Go's popularity revived it in order to be used as something to pander.

Cons:

-Pooping in the fake toilet + bare naked super baby butt. Ugh. Slade saying Robin had "explosive diarrhea" was a stupid enough explosion pun though after how serious the explosion scene with Robin and the tower was.

-The message got really repetitive after the 50th rejection for Robin. We get it, they'll never be real superheroes. (Plus we definitely didn't get as meta as the show there, however the movie does seem to pay homeage to Teen Titans Season 1). 

-DC does not know how to shut up about itself. I'm sure a DC comics fan will enjoy sly references, but I really don't need a running gag about Challengers (I wouldn't have stayed for the final part of the credits if I knew it was a quick line from them). 

So I'd say a little mixed but slanted in a positive direction. Part of that is giving it credit where its due at being bold enough to be a 2D flick.

P.S. Whatever you do, do not google what "crack an egg on it" means in slang.