• Advertisement

Welcome to the Wayne

NegiSpongie

Just now, This is a username. Enjoy it. said:

People who say that this show is a ripoff of Gravity Falls are morons. Gravity Falls wasn't the one that started mystery cartoons, y'know.

I think it's more of the fact that the show centers around a pair of twins (a boy and a girl) with opposite personalities trying to solve the mystery of paranormal happenings in a strange location.

Edited by NegiSpongie

1 hour ago, This is a username. Enjoy it. said:

People who say that this show is a ripoff of Gravity Falls are morons. Gravity Falls wasn't the one that started mystery cartoons, y'know.

I agree, honestly I don't get too much of a Gravity Falls vibe from this; it feels more so along with "status quo esque comedy with paranormal stuff" but I could be wrong, and I'd love for something like this to have continuity. But yeah I really don't think it's a ripoff at all. 

• Like 1

Gravity Falls may have not started the mystery cartoons trend, but they haven't started the mystery cartoons starring not-quite-alike siblings trend either. Don't forget that these exist and we won't have to keep this whole debate alive:

DuckTales
Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan
The Sylvester & Tweety Mysteries (let's just say they're siblings by a certain technicality.)
etc.

My point is, Welcome to the Wayne may look derived from Gravity Falls, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its own stories to tell and its own characters to develop. I can't really say that I was excited for this show, but I will watch it.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

I think it's more of the fact that the show centers around a pair of twins (a boy and a girl) with opposite personalities trying to solve the mystery of paranormal happenings in a strange location.

v guy called the new ducktales reboot a gravity falls ripoff i shit you not

• Like 3

On 7/27/2017 at 5:05 PM, GullahOfficial said:

v guy called the new ducktales reboot a gravity falls ripoff i shit you not

I believe he only said it had similarities to the ever-so OG sibling-mystery series Gravity Falls, but I could be wrong, cuz' what doesn't v guy call a ripoff these days? He might as well have called Infinity Train a ripoff of ChalkZone or Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or whatever other existing work it's safe to compare it to, but of course, knowing how he is with the Infinity Train pilot, it's unsurprising that he didn't compare it to anything else.

Edited by Steel Sponge

Well, Gravity Falls fans are starting to become like Steven Universe fans: Mature cartoons with an immature fandom.

Anyway, GF ripoff aside (thanks a lot, Valiskibum94), this show is good so far. Characters are likable, plots are quite interesting, etc. .Of course, it can kinda suffer for being too childish at times. But the creator, Billy Lopez, used to work for pre-school shows on Nick Jr.

What made the show for me is the casting. Look at all this surprise cast: They got the same VA that voices Manny Rivera in the show (if anyone remembers the El Tigre show) and the creator in the voice. Don't know who Saraline's voice actress is and neither does a few other voice actors, but the rest of the cast is interesting. They got Veronica Taylor (Yes, her, the original Ash Ketchum) in the cast as a spy. Not to mention, they also got Marc Thompson, Billy Bob Thompson, and even Andrew Rannells (who voiced Harley and various characters in 4kids dub of Pokemon). This is a like a mini reunion of the Pokemon anime dub cast. They even have the Aqua Teen Hunger Force stars back (Dave Willis, Dana Synder, and Carey Means)