• Advertisement

Year in music: 1999 vs. 2009

The Simpsons

read the title bitch  

16 members have voted

1. 1. read the title bitch

So you know Prez' 2006 vs. 2016 topic a while back?

Well (definitely not out of bias :funny:), I decided to make another topic like that but go 7 years (lol) back on both years and make a 1999 vs. 2009 topic. You all should know what I pick but I'd like to see everyone else's opinion as well.

Also, reminder that 1999 has this:

Rule: Don't ask any questions that are spammy and don't pertain to the actual topic. I don't want this thread to suffer the same fate that the above topic did.

In 1999 Michael Jackson was STILL alive; Justin Bieber wasn't POSING as a musician; and the Red Hot Chili Peppers released a REALLY rocking album! :D

In 2009 Michael Jackson died; Justin Bieber started POSING as a musician; and the Red Hot Chili Peppers released a LESS than stellar album. :rolleyes:

1999, no contest! :hysterical:

• Like 2

I don't remember RHCP releasing an album in 2009 lol

And there was good stuff in that year: Lady Gaga, Forever by Drake and company, Shakira, Circus by Britney, I Gotta Feeling, Use Somebody...it's not totally awful but I will say I like what I've heard from 1999 better 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4BlackHawk said:

In 2009  Red Hot Chili Peppers released a LESS than stellar album. :rolleyes:

:Lolwut:

Frusciante left for good in 2009, that isn't close, I'm With You was 2011 and Stadium Arcadium was 2006 (not counting IBY since that's technically a "B-Side compilation" which wasn't marketed as another album, which was in 2012). I'm With You might be less than stellar but it made nobody's ears bleed besides the people who blindly worship Frusciante as a literal messiah and can't tolerate any song of theirs without him because of that blind hatred, and the same goes for the latest album, as while neither of the past two were spectacular, they're solid enough to still be quite likable, even if they are more of a "grow on you" instead of "instantly stun you" album, as bands change over time. Case in point, literally anything after the first 3 albums. 

To the topic at hand, I legitimately can't remember any songs sticking with me from 2009 except for "Hey Soul Sister", so 1999 it is.

• Like 2

Let's see, I'd like to think of 2009 as an underrated year for pop music. You guys might say that it had a Justin Bieber, Black Eyed Peas, Lil Wayne, and a Soulja Boy, but it also had a Lady Gaga, Jay Z, Kanye West, Kings of Leon, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, and Kid Cudi before he jumped the shark. And since we're on the subject of music in general, I can at least say that 2009 also had some great albums/artists within the likes of Green Day, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Dirty Projectors to name a few.

It's still no contest though. Compared to 2009, 1999 is such an iconic year with albums by RHCP, Flaming Lips, Eminem, Blur, and blink-182, as well as hits such as "Scar Tissue," "Smooth," "I Want It That Way," "No Scrubs," "Slide," "All Star," "...Baby One More Time/(You Drive Me) Crazy," "Learn to Fly," "What's My Age Again?", "Guerrilla Radio," "Livin' la Vida Loca," "My Own Worst Enemy," "Praise You," and so forth.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

No question in my mind.  I already talked about how good of a year 1999 was in my music review thread (shameless plug), but 2009 wasn't an irredeemable year overall.

1999 gets my vote though.

• Like 1