• Advertisement

Minecraft Movie

Jane

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/27/minecraft-movie-release-date

Out May 24, 2019. Directed by the creator of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." I'm not too sure if Minecraft will still be relevant then, but who knows? Either this will somewhat underperform like Angry Birds or be a huge hit.

I think if they don't make this a hackneyed cash-in, it could actually be a pretty good movie. Minecraft doesn't have an established story beyond you being a character lost in the wild and having to build/survive. A lot can be derived from that concept alone. And Minecraft has huge appeal, so assuming it isn't just a fad (it might be), it will be a smash.

Edited by Stanthemiddleagedadult

Even though I'm not a big Minecraft fan anymore, I will respect the fact that this is Rob McElhenney's first time directing a film. I mean, look at Lord/Miller's work. I had low expectations before when The Lego Movie was first announced. I didn't think the franchise was relevant anymore for them to do a movie based on LEGOs, but look how that turned out. At least this movie won't be directed by some random joe.

Plus, Always Sunny is a funny show.

• Like 3

Sorry, I really don't have hopes for this. Yeah, I've heard great things about It's Always Sunny  but Minecraft? Even as a person who used to play can't anticipate this :/ Yeah, The Lego Movie prooved wrong about "judging a book by it's cover" but everyone tries to be The Lego Movie these days. I'll judge it when it comes out, rn I'm very skeptical.

20 hours ago, Stanthemiddleagedadult said:

Either this will somewhat underperform like Angry Birds

Angry Birds didn't underperform

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=angrybirds.htm

In fact Angry Birds made 250 million dollars in profit. Definitely not underperform.

But about a Minecraft Movie

Hell-No-Meme-Gif-26.gif

1 hour ago, Benthekid said:

Angry Birds didn't underperform

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=angrybirds.htm

In fact Angry Birds made 250 million dollars in profit. Definitely not underperform.

But about a Minecraft Movie

Hell-No-Meme-Gif-26.gif

Allegedly Rovio and Sony spent over $400 million in advertising. It did break even, but it probably didn't make as much as they were hoping for.

Adding on to this discussion of the movie of Mad Avians, I'd like to point out that over two thirds of the profit came from international markets. But hey, it still made $105 million in the U.S (at the time of this writing) against a $73 million budget, which would mean that the film broke even, right?

...Well, if you didn't know about this beforehand, I wouldn't really blame you, but the final gross of a film is usually split up between the movie theaters and the studio. In other words, that $105 million is now just barely rounding to $53 million. In other other words, as far as the country of origin is involved, it's technically kind of a flop.

Although in other other OTHER words, it's not unusual for international gross to overpower that of it's American gross. Of all the movies I'm aware of, the shining example imo has to be The Golden Compass. This so-mediocre-it's-tasteless fantasy flick made $372 million against a $180 million budget, which, while just barely breaking even, would make it a success usually. Except for one detail: the actual grossing of the film in America rounds to about $36 million of the total gross. (And I'm not really blaming it on the source material either- all the anti-religion statements the original book made were removed completely) Worst of all, the film's distributors, New Line Cinema, had to sell the international rights to the film in order to finance it, meaning not a single dollar from the hundreds of millions it made outside the U.S was earned. In fact, this is usually stated to be THE mistake that forced New Line to be absorbed by Warner Brothers soon after.

Wait, what am I talking about again?

Oh yeah, I'm mixed about the main topic.

• Like 5

Just like Sony with the Mad Avians before it, I think Warner Brothers is planning this movie too late to the point that it's going to be past its peak of pop culture relevance.  I doubt there will be that much of a market for a Minecraft movie in 2019.  There will probably be some interest just like there was some interest for an Angry Birds movie, but there will be plenty of millions of dollars earned left on the table due to not having this come out any sooner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fredthegrownupadult said:

Even though I'm not a big Minecraft fan anymore, I will respect the fact that this is Rob McElhenney's first time directing a film. I mean, look at Lord/Miller's work. I had low expectations before when The Lego Movie was first announced. I didn't think the franchise was relevant anymore for them to do a movie based on LEGOs, but look how that turned out. At least this movie won't be directed by some random joe.

Plus, Always Sunny is a funny show.

Am I the only person that knew The Lego Movie was going to be great? I feel like everyone keeps talking about how they had low expectations even though Lord and Miller had already proven themselves time and time again prior to that movie (Clone High, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, two of the best episodes of HIMYM, and 21 Jump Street were all on their resume and people were still hesitant about their talent).

McElhenney's proven his worth by writing, acting, and directing funny shit for the past decade. This is going to be fine. While we might be getting tired of Minecraft, or while it might not be relevant to use anymore, that doesn't mean there aren't going to be little kids in the next two-three years that are just discovering it that'll be absolutely pumped for the movie.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Am I the only person that knew The Lego Movie was going to be great? I feel like everyone keeps talking about how they had low expectations even though Lord and Miller had already proven themselves time and time again prior to that movie (Clone High, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, two of the best episodes of HIMYM, and 21 Jump Street were all on their resume and people were still hesitant about their talent).

McElhenney's proven his worth by writing, acting, and directing funny shit for the past decade. This is going to be fine. While we might be getting tired of Minecraft, or while it might not be relevant to use anymore, that doesn't mean there aren't going to be little kids in the next two-three years that are just discovering it that'll be absolutely pumped for the movie.

I didn't know what to expect from Lego Movie cuz I heard it's existance from u guys and I didn't know it was created by two guys who created Jump Street movies, Cloud With a Chance of Meatballs and Clone High; godly entertainment stuff. :) 

28 minutes ago, terminoob said:

I was like 14 around the time the movie was announced. I never even heard nor saw any of Lord and Miller's work until 2014 when Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs played on Cartoon Network (which I thought was alright). Never really knew that they worked on that movie until I saw their Wikipedia page. I also binge-watched Clone High a few months ago and it was the funniest shit I have ever seen. This was around the time I started to like a lot of their work. Afterwards, I checked out The Lego Movie and it was pretty awesome. I also liked the interesting voice allusion to Clone High where Will Forte voiced Abraham Lincoln. Maybe I'll get around to watching 21 Jump Street and those How I Met Your Mother episodes in the future.

Now allow me to paraphrase what 14 year old Fred Rechid said about this film:

"Uuuuuuugh, this movie sounds like a bad idea! Legos are irrelevant!"

Yeeeeeeeeeah, 2013 was not a great time for me. I was in the awkward transition from middle school to high school. I want to punch immature 2013 me in the face as much as you do. Glad I wasn't here back then. But that was then and this is now. I'd probably be more worried about the older people who actually have a conscious, knew about Lord and Miller, and STILL were skeptical about the film.

5 hours ago, terminoob said:

Me too. I knew from the trailers it would be something great. 

5 hours ago, Frizzbee Entertainment said:

We all Learned from Angry Birds. It proved that for a VG film to work it has to resemble the game in any way.

Cough Cough* MARIO BROTHERS

Ratchet & Clank was very faithful to the games.

3 hours ago, Frizzbee Entertainment said:

Ratchet and Clank Wasn't too good.

As a movie, it was mediocre if I'm being generous, but as a Ratchet & Clank adaptation it was fantastic. It was pretty much just a long string of cutscenes from the games, and that's enough to get enjoyment out of me personally. 

Now that doesn't mean I wasn't disappointed with it's outcome. It has sloppy writing, terrible direction and editing and third-rate animation.

On June 28, 2016 at 2:15 AM, Stanthemiddleagedadult said:

Either this will somewhat underperform like Angry Birds or be a huge hit.

Angry Birds underperformed? I mean, nobody expects it to set a foot into Zootopia's monstrous box office performance (rightfully deserved), but Angry Birds made at least 4x it's budget. I'd say that's a moderate success.

On topic: I think everyone is underestimating it's worldwide fanbase. IT'S HUGE, I MEAN HUGE (florida radio joke kms). In what world would Minecraft not be a hit?