• Advertisement

One Coarse Meal is Underappreciated...

CDCB

5 hours ago, CDCB said:

I've seen this episode about a dozen times, but gracious me, 13 must be my lucky number. I spent all this time whining about how much I hated this episode, but I now see that this is more than what is generally considered the bottom of the barrel. Actually, this may very well be the greatest SpongeBob episode of all time.

It starts out with a wonderful joke about Mr. Krabs stripping down for some dirty pleasures in a money bath, but mean ol' Plankton decides to intrude upon this ingenious innuendo and captures SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs as part of his latest diabolical plan. Very clever, writers. Don't try and straight up steal the formula--capture the source of the formula instead! This unique twist on Plankton's schemes sets the plate for what only continues to get more mind-blowingly awesome.

Plankton manages to squeeze the location of the formula out of SpongeBob by tickling him with his magic feather. But just then, Pearl comes in and Plankton goes coo coo bonkers. Whales eat plankton. Pearl is a whale, and Plankton is plankton. Plankton flees the scene because I guess he didn't appreciate the spontaneous biology lesson or something. Mr. Krabs is pleased however and tries to bargain with Pearl and get her to scare Plankton for him. Pearl fails to see the benefit of scaring a tiny guy that she wouldn't even eat in the first place (that lame-o claims to prefer salad, pffft) and instead Mr. Krabs asks to borrow one of her dresses.

Plankton recounts to Karen a time that his ancestors got eaten up by a giant whale, and his darling wife shows no concern for his emotions. I mean, who would? You got nasty old Plankton trying to steal the Krabby Patty formula for 95% of his appearance in the show, and now out of the blue he's asking for peoples' sympathy? That's low, Plankton. Real low. Taking advantage of your fans' young and manipulative minds... absolutely abominable and disgusting. But anyway, Pearl appears in a trash can as the coo coo bonkers green thing is trying to distract himself from his delusions. He runs back into the Chum Bucket and barricades the door, but Pearl is too fast for him. Karen asserts her role as his sane wife and continues dismissing his pleas of terror.

16 paranoia filled days later, Plankton has a nightmare about Pearl chasing, swallowing, and digesting him in gastric acid. Mr. Krabs reveals to the audience that he was in fact the "Pearl" following Plankton around and causing him all this mental instability all along. Way to go, Eugene. You've finally learned your place as the proprietor of the Krusty Krab. Instead of waiting until Plankton comes with his fancy schmancy weaponry, why not instill fear on the problem before it even becomes an issue? I'm telling you folks, this episode is full of ingenious plans. Einstein would be proud of Mr. Krabs and Plankton for coming up with such revolutionary ideas within the time span of an 11 minute episode. 

But anyway, this is too much for Plankton so he decides it's time to lay in the middle of the road and kick the bucket, push up daisies, or in plain English--commit suicide. I applaud the SpongeBob writers for concocting such a heartrendingly realistic depiction of what is such a common issue in society today. SpongeBob partakes in this iconic scene by dismissing Plankton's sorrows as any self-proclaimed "good natured" sponge would do, and instead goes to Mr. Krabs to talk over this whole "scaring Plankton" business. This scene makes me furious. We're watching a cellular organism slowly descend into the dark chasm of mental instability, and SpongeBob's trying to step in and bring sunshine and rainbows back into this episode. Just no. That is unacceptable, SpongeBob. Good nature my tail fin. If you really want to show us your good nature, you should have your next boating lesson on this street right here, right now. A selfless act like that would show your millions of fans what a wonderful guy you truly are.

Instead, SpongeBob decides to let that monstrous micro-organism have an advantage and not only reveals the plot going on throughout this entire episode, but also tells him about Mr. Krabs' secret fear--mimes. A mime does a cute widdle dance in front of Mr. Krabs and it looks like Plankton has actually won fo--wait what? SpongeBob interrupts Plankton's victory celebration and tells him that a hungry pod of whales is outside the Krusty Krab, ready to eat him. Plankton says hasta la pizza and the whale pod turns out to be a projection. Oh man... what a twist ending. Here I thought SpongeBob's character had been derailed to the umpteenth degree, but instead he exceeded my expectations and showed that his good nature will not put Plankton out of his misery, but instead prolong it for as long as it could possibly go. What a saint! I'll bet the Mayor of Bikini Bottom awarded him the key to the city after the events of this episode.

I honestly don't understand the hate for this episode. It's a marvelous look at the mental descent and relentless torture of a horrible creature, and it teaches a lesson that everybody--kids and adults--should know. If you're a bad person, you're unredeemable. Anybody who dares to sympathize with you is in the wrong and should be punished in the worst possible way. This is unquestionably my favorite episode of the series, and I hope that the writers continue to make more in depth character study episodes such as this gem.

You deserve an award.

• Like 2

The fact they had the audacity to do something that dark....really had me surprised and amused a bit, because they could've gone way worse than that but stupid censors. <_< 

2 hours ago, NegiSpongie said:

I guess I'm the only one who thought the episode was actually funny. But I guess I just have a sick sense of humor.

Since Fa's overlord period is over, I'm free to disagree with you. Yeah, I passionately loathe this episode. xD 

14 hours ago, CDCB said:

Since Fa's overlord period is over, I'm free to disagree with you. Yeah, I passionately loathe this episode. xD 

You're a strong man for writing such a positive review for such a :stinkeye: episode

• Like 1