• Advertisement

Angry Birds Movie

Jane

13 minutes ago, Clappy said:

As I mentioned the other night on the XAT, I got to see an early screening of this with a friend.  I mean why not, I absolutely love the app game.  Although I, just like I'm sure others feel, think this movie is three years too late.  But hey, I didn't hate any of the trailers, so I was willing to give this a shot.  Especially for free.

It was ok.  Not good.  Not bad either.  The animation was fantastic, but the story felt stretched beyond belief.  By that I mean, it felt like it was made up on the fly because the source material needed some sort of origin story but the team behind this felt like they had no idea how to jumpstart it.  So for the first hour, this struggled to format some sort of introduction and rising actions that led to the pigs becoming the enemies the birds grew too hate.  Once the movie started to become more like the game, this became much better to watch.  I really dug the voice acting.  Everyone was enjoyable with Tony Hale being the low key highlight since the credits said he portrayed three different characters.  I would have never guessed that going in.

But yeah it was fine for what it was.  I doubt I'll sit through this again anytime soon, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be this time last year.

You've pretty much been echoing what a lot of people have been saying. This is a co-production with Sony, I assume? A big problem with their films is how they put so much effort into fantastic animation yet their stories are almost always really weak. Hotel Transylvania is an example of this.

I myself will probably wait for this to hit Amazon or Netflix. I'm a sucker for bright colors and pretty animation. And I liked some of the sight gags in the trailers.

3 minutes ago, Teamwork said:

You've pretty much been echoing what a lot of people have been saying. This is a co-production with Sony, I assume? A big problem with their films is how they put so much effort into fantastic animation yet their stories are almost always really weak. Hotel Transylvania is an example of this.

I myself will probably wait for this to hit Amazon or Netflix. I'm a sucker for bright colors and pretty animation. And I liked some of the sight gags in the trailers.

Yeah most of that first hour was very formulaic and not completely put together well.  I say most because some of the humor landed with me...although I was very surprised how much adult humor it had that was very blunt.  But to your question, yeah it was a Sony project.  Although, I liked Hotel Transylvania's story.  Was it weak?  I wouldn't say it wasn't, but they made the story as formulaic as it was, work in its favor.  The second one though, yes it was weak.  Angry Birds falls into the same category until the action kicks into gear.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rock said:

aLZPO1d.png

7DDL64p.png

Okay, I might actually have to see this movie now.

I'm currently deciding whether or not me and my cousin should see this movie when I visit him this July based off of just that.