• Advertisement

Should SpongeBob Have Ended?

Jane

Great video by Pieguy. 

I personally think it should end for a few reasons:

1- To preserve the show's legacy.

2- To give burnt out staff or artists wanting to explore more creatively a chance to make their own shows or move onto new projects. I don't know if you guys know this, but Paul Tibbit quit last July, and he made a few tweets not so subtly taking the piss out of Nickelodeon. Vincent did say that he's back on the movie, but he probably won't return to the show. This is what happens when a show runs on for 20 years and when you don't give these talented people their own projects.

3- To help Nickelodeon creatively. When SpongeBob inevitably ends (probably in ten years when it enters yet another slump, yes I know it's good now, but it will get bad again) they'll need something to replace it, and I have a feeling they'd be bankrupt if they had ended SpongeBob back in '04 and didn't care about taking chances or finding a replacement.

Edited by Teamwork

As a SpongeBob fan, I can never see myself wanting the show to just "die", yet I can completely understand why many people want the show to end. I mostly disagree with reason #1 and agree with reason #2. For #1, SpongeBob may not be a perfect show, but no other cartoon is considered perfect by everybody. Even if post-movie is a dive in quality and that people are going to constantly separate the classic era and the revival era, there's still one thing about SpongeBob that matters: it's timeless. SpongeBob will obtain new fans each year and the people who grew up with SpongeBob will always look back on it and remember when they really liked it, so it's not just like people are only going to remember the dark times. It's almost like any of the 90s Nicktoons that people grew up with and continue to praise today. Shows like Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy can also be considered timeless.

SpongeBob is oversaturated, there's no denying that. But people will say, or have said, the same for long-lasting franchises like Scooby-Doo and TMNT, as well as shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and even Rugrats (at when it was still sticking around), all of which never really damaged a show's entire legacy, from my perspective. While we have other "oversaturated" animated shows, the aforementioned, currently airing cartoons are still going to be remembered for the good times at most if they ever come to an end.

I do agree with the current state of Nickelodeon in general, and how the oversaturation kinda affects the rest of their current, animated intellectual properties. This is an understatement, but as of current, Nick are giving the same treatment to every other Nicktoon that doesn't succeed as highly as SpongeBob does. It's just sad, and Nick probably won't stop until they feel like they found "the next SpongeBob." SpongeBob never existed to become "the next Rugrats." It's more of a shame when Nick used to promote their input as much as they did for SpongeBob in the past, by creating merchandise of their properties as a whole, and even having a hotel and resort dedicated to their animated shows. All they have now is their promotion with Mall of America and well....SpongeBob, and since maybe after we got shows like Catscratch, The X's, and the Mighty B!, Nick can never seem to make a profit out of anything besides SpongeBob. (at least outside of Nick Jr., if I might add.)

Hopefully, at one point in time, Nickelodeon will stop being the same as it is right now and start becoming big again. In the end, Pieguy made some very good points. I can take people wanting for the show to get cancelled. If it does, I can't really say that I'm going to be incredibly sad about it. The future of SpongeBob is unpredictable, but I can expect tie-ins, film adaptations, and reboots to happen after the original, long-running SpongeBob SquarePants comes to an end, because it's timeless. While I don't wish that SpongeBob gets cancelled, I do wish that the show isn't the only thing that matters to Nick.

On-topic of the news of Vincent Waller retiring, I'm going to miss him when that time comes.

Edited by Steel Sponge
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steel Sponge said:

As a SpongeBob fan, I can never see myself wanting the show to just "die", yet I can completely understand why many people want the show to end. I mostly disagree with reason #1 and agree with reason #2. For #1, SpongeBob may not be a perfect show, but no other cartoon is considered perfect by everybody. Even if post-movie is a dive in quality and that people are going to constantly separate the classic era and the revival era, there's still one thing about SpongeBob that matters: it's timeless. SpongeBob will obtain new fans each year and the people who grew up with SpongeBob will always look back on it and remember when they really liked it, so it's not just like people are only going to remember the dark times. It's almost like any of the 90s Nicktoons that people grew up with and continue to praise today. Shows like Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, and Ren & Stimpy can also be considered timeless.

SpongeBob is oversaturated, there's no denying that. But people will say, or have said, the same for long-lasting franchises like Scooby-Doo and TMNT, as well as shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and even Rugrats (at when it was still sticking around), all of which never really damaged a show's entire legacy, from my perspective. While we have other "oversaturated" animated shows, the aforementioned, currently airing cartoons are still going to be remembered for the good times at most if they ever come to an end.

I do agree with the current state of Nickelodeon in general, and how the oversaturation kinda affects the rest of their current, animated intellectual properties. This is an understatement, but as of current, Nick are giving the same treatment to every other Nicktoon that doesn't succeed as highly as SpongeBob does. It's just sad, and Nick probably won't stop until they feel like they found "the next SpongeBob." SpongeBob never existed to become "the next Rugrats." It's more of a shame when Nick used to promote their input as much as they did for SpongeBob in the past, by creating merchandise of their properties as a whole, and even having a hotel and resort dedicated to their animated shows. All they have now is their promotion with Mall of America and well....SpongeBob, and since maybe after we got shows like Catscratch, The X's, and the Mighty B!, Nick can never seem to make a profit out of anything besides SpongeBob. (at least outside of Nick Jr., if I might add.)

Hopefully, at one point in time, Nickelodeon will stop being the same as it is right now and start becoming big again. In the end, Pieguy made some very good points. I can take people wanting for the show to get cancelled. If it does, I can't really say that I'm going to be incredibly sad about it. The future of SpongeBob is unpredictable, but I can expect tie-ins, film adaptations, and reboots to happen after the original, long-running SpongeBob SquarePants comes to an end, because it's timeless. While I don't wish that SpongeBob gets cancelled, I do wish that the show isn't the only thing that matters to Nick.

On-topic of the news of Vincent Waller retiring, I'm going to miss him when that time comes.

I think Vincent and some of the older staff are getting ready to retire, because as I stated, a bunch of the younger artists (Adam and Caroline come to mind) have posted about getting promotions and they've been hiring a lot of fresh blood. I think in a few years it's going to happen.

12 minutes ago, Bada Bing Nuggets said:

What does this have to do with the cancellation of SpongeBob 

I mis-pasted the wrong thing. Brb.

Edited by Teamwork

I think so but it won't end anytime soon unless Nick finds another show to profit from. Which again its not something I see them doing as long as they're comfortable with having Spongebob as their top show.  I agree that the show's legacy is something that it would be preserved with a cancellation but at this point in time I don't see that helping with the legacy aspect, if anything the show's cancellation should've happened around the 1st movie when everyone thought the show was gonna end. In general, SB will likely last for at least another decade before it stops being profitable for Nick which by then should have other shows to bring them profit, perhaps shows comparable to SB, but we might never know.