• Advertisement

SBC's Top 50 Worst Episodes Ever 2016 Edition

Shark Tale

Spongebob, You're Fired: Such a bad special, but mostly everything that could be said about it has already been said. The only thing I think I could add is that I find it very lazy how they threw in so much boring filler for time when they could've easily given us something more interesting by actually going somewhere with that snail food business plot.

Choir Boys: Just a lame episode that's better off forgotten. Spongebob giving Squidward a ticket for reckless frowning...please leave my memory.

7. Squid's Visit

cnK3lFx.gif  

212 points. 11 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #2's: @Clappy & @Wendy )

SpongeBob really wants Squidward to visit his house, but Squidward does not want to. He says that he prefers the comfort of his own home over SpongeBob's "dirty little hovel." SpongeBob then makes his house look exactly like Squidward's so Squidward will finally visit. Afterwards, he steals Squidward's vacuum cleaner, which makes Squidward come to take it back, which was Patrick's idea. Squidward puts his dinner in the oven and then comes to SpongeBob's house and sees the exact replica of his living room. He is a little annoyed. Squidward demands his vaccum, but SpongeBob ignores him, trying to do everything he can to ensure Squidward stays. Squidward sits on the exact replica of his chair and sees his coffee table, his food, his Art of the Clarinet book, and his pillow SpongeBob was fluffing. It looks like the one Squidward's Mother made for him. Then Squidward sees his hallway, and he sees the chip in the painting from when he moved into his own house. Then he walks into his bathroom. He sees his medicine cabinet and his rash cream. But when SpongeBob shows up, Squidward screams and he slips on the rash cream too many times and his head falls into the toilet, knocking himself out.

Squidward wakes up and thinks he had a dream about himself visiting SpongeBob, but to his horror, he isn't dreaming. Squidward screams to SpongeBob. He lies to SpongeBob that he has to go to the bathroom again, but instead, he runs upstairs, looking for his vacuum cleaner. When Squidward opens the door and turns on the light, he finds out he is in the gallery room and spots all 492 of his self-portraits hanging on the wall. Squidward becomes scared, but then he gets mad. He looks for the vacuum cleaner in the closet and finds it, but it is stuck in the closet. Squidward pulls it until his vacuum comes out. The vacuum hits Squidward and he crashes into the wall, tilting his self-portraits. He falls down the stairs, and he spits out the vacuum. He then walks out of SpongeBob's house, but when he goes outside, he realizes that his house had vaporized due to a fire. Squidward had forgotten to bring the casserole which was later on fire and caused Squidward's house to burn up. SpongeBob then tells Squidward to stay at his house. Squidward imagines what it would be like. He winds up staying at the pineapple with him indoors and SpongeBob and Gary sleeping outside.

Jjs: Creepy and unfunny. This made my list right at #3. I really can't think of anything to defend about this episode. The plot is moronic, the jokes completely miss the mark, and the ending is just...what. SpongeBob's creepy behavior wasn't even funny in this, and I honestly just felt bad for Squidward, who has to put up with him. I don't care if the episode wanted to go for a darker route, my problem is that it's not funny. It's boring, weird, and one of the creepiest episodes in SpongeBob history. Creepy episodes can work, but here it's ruined by a flanderized character, and the episode doesn't seem to know where it wants to go. Also, the plot really doesn't make any sense, as I really don't know why SpongeBob wants Squidward to visit his house so badly when he has before. Just a bad setup to an already messy episode.

WhoBob: I've seen people who seem to complain that post-movie is too dark for kids and I really don't agree with this at all. Yes, SpongeBob is supposed to be lighthearted but there are so many times that It was messed up in pre-movie and the first movie. So I think the criticism of post-movie being too dark is pretty hypocritical for me but even I have to admit that post-movie never used dark content pretty well as well, there are only 2-3 episodes I can think of that used dark content well. This episode is a great example of how you screw up dark content. When you make a character insane, make them insane that makes sense. SpongeBob's insanity in Gone makes so much sense to me (I know I put Gone as my #1 worst episode but still I gotta admit that it makes sense) but his insanity in this episode makes no sense whatsoever. Oh, he is being a creep because he wants to spend time with Squidward. Yes, I know SpongeBob wants to spend time with Squidward because he likes Squidward but in this episode, he goes too far with it that I can't even recognize his personality. This episode made one of my favorite characters into such an despicable character that you want to root for Squidward, who we are supposed to not root for. His intentions here are so creepy that I can't even enjoy and I like creepy stuff for most part. A lot of gags come from Squidward being creeped out by this and I don't find this to be funny whatsoever and there are a few gags of him getting hurt and those were just cringeworthy. Thank god, later seasons fixed his character because season 6 and season 7 were the point that SpongeBob had become a character I despised. Squidward did nothing to deserve all of this. Yeah, he should have just called the cops but still SpongeBob tormenting him was unpleasant to watch. And here comes the part that I'm mixed on. At the end, Squidward's house got ion fire and Squidward had to stay at SpongeBob's house, while SpongeBob had to stay outside. I guess it was nice to see SpongeBob getting his karma but still Squidward went through a lot of pain, I don't find SpongeBob's karma satisfying, especially considering that the character I grew up with was ruined in this episode. Let's just hope something like this never happens again.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 4

6. Pet or Pests

i9ZeZtj.jpg?1 

216 points. 13 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @MrTortellini00 )

One day, SpongeBob and Patrick are playing, when they land in a bush. They destroy it, and the two find a worm that lived in the bush. SpongeBob takes it home, and introduces him to Gary, who takes an immediate dislike to it. They fight, and SpongeBob pulls them apart. Later that night, SpongeBob lets his new pet stay where Gary usually sleeps, and Gary is sent to the guest room, which he does not like. The next morning, SpongeBob wakes up and sees the worm in a type of pain. He runs to Patrick because he does not know what to do. They go back to SpongeBob's house and see that the worm has given birth to baby worms. SpongeBob and Patrick try and put Gary and Mrs. Wormsley together, but she attacks Gary again, and Gary chases Mrs. Wormsley out of town on a bus, so SpongeBob is left to take care of the worm babies. Because Patrick is not willing to help with this situation, SpongeBob tries to find a person who will adopt the baby worms.

He first takes the worms to Squidward's house, in which Squidward is disgusted by them for vomiting a type of acid at his face. He then takes it to Mrs. Puff, in which she is shocked by them and puffs, damaging her house. SpongeBob then proceeds to go to a grocery store, stumbling upon Larry the Lobster. He decides to take them, but only to eat them alive due to raw protein, in which SpongeBob knocks them out of Larry's hand. The worms land in the middle of the road right in front of a moving truck, in which SpongeBob reacts. He goes inside the truck to pull out the connections to the engine, and unscrews and gets rid of the engine, forcing the truck to halt. SpongeBob then scoops up the meadow worms and puts them in the box that they were in. After this, SpongeBob tries to sell them to Mr. Krabs, in which he declines because the worms spit up on his face as well, and forces him to take the worms out of his restaurant. 

SpongeBob puts them by the garbage, but the babies spit on him too. Garbage men come up and they are about to take the garbage away when they see the acid on SpongeBob's face. They see that it is a very rare type of worm, and Mr. Krabs comes out, hearing how it is rare and they would bring a lot of money. In the end, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs sell the worms to the people of Bikini Bottom.

Jjs: Even though this was once my #1 least favorite episode, it has since been downgraded to #5. Oh, but that doesn't mean I dislike it any less. This is still an awful episode. Nothing here is funny, and it's just not fun to watch. Many gags here fall extremely flat on their face (SpongeBob ringing Mrs. Puff's doorbell for way too long, and HAHA LARRY DOESN'T REMEMBER SPONGEBOB). When it isn't being gross and annoying, it's flat out boring. As much as I like Gary, his behavior here also annoyed me, with how he treated the worms. And yay, the episode ends with Mr. Krabs using the worms to make money. Woo hoo. Just a big mess.

Fred: Now this episode, I'm glad I put in my Bottom 5. When people call Season 6 the worst season of SB, this is one of the episodes they refer to. And I can see why. It is one of the most disgusting and irritating episodes of the show. First off, let's look at the worms and how ugly they look. Even Puffy Fluffy looks cuter than those........things. Doesn't help the fact that they constantly puke out green slime. Second, and one of the main problems of the episode, they make SpongeBob's cheeks too puffy in this episode. They utilize it too much in this episode and it's too irritating. This next one is a minor problem but it still bothered me a bit. How does Larry not know who SpongeBob is?! I know the show doesn't follow continuity, but that doesn't excuse this! I'm pretty sure Larry and SpongeBob both met in Ripped Pants and Spongeguard on Duty, how does he not know SpongeBob here?! And now, one of the worst moments in this episode and quite possibly the entire show. The doorbell scene. Let me explain. SpongeBob comes to Mrs. Puff's door and rings the doorbell for 30 seconds straight. I have a question. What's the joke behind this?! He's just ringing a doorbell for a long time! This isn't funny! It's filler!

And those are all my main problems with this episode. It's gross, it's irritating, and deserves to be #5 on my list.

5. Fungus Among Us

rJedsIS.png?1 

231 points. 14 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #1's - @Clappy & @rev up those fryers )

SpongeBob is asleep, and Gary has no food, so Gary wakes up SpongeBob. SpongeBob attempts to feed Gary, but the food is disgusting to Gary. Instead, Gary would rather eat some contagious sea fungus on the floor, which SpongeBob considers very rude. SpongeBob tries to clean up the ick, but gets it on himself. He tries to clean it off, but it only spreads. He also tries not to scratch it because it is itchy, yet he still itches. At the Krusty Krab, he flicks off some contagious sea fungus on his nose, but it grows on the wall and grows back and bigger on him. He tries scraping it off his arm into the trash, but the same thing happens. Squidward sees SpongeBob in his state and calls the SWAT team. When the team is carrying SpongeBob away in a cage, some contagious sea fungus flies off of him and lands on Squidward's head. After Squidward itches it, when giving a Krabby Patty to Old Man Jenkins, it gets onto him. Meanwhile, the SWAT team has SpongeBob quarantined in his house with a bubble around him with the contagious sea fungus having taken a turn for the worse. Patrick comes in and pops SpongeBob's bubble, but blows another one around SpongeBob. Back at the Krusty Krab, the contagious sea fungus is spreading like crazy! It is all over the food, and the customers get infected. SpongeBob arrives in his bubble, having taken another turn for the worse. The health inspector snaps at Mr. Krabs for thinking everyone was healthy, and everyone prepares to attack SpongeBob for spreading the contagious sea fungus. SpongeBob cries icky tears that get on everybody in the Krusty Krab when the bubble pops. Gary then arrives licking the contagious sea fungus off of Mr. Krabs. The episode ends with Gary "de-icking" the Bikini Bottomites for $5.00 to Mr. Krabs' profit.

Jjs: I know people out there will say "this episode shouldn't be this high", but is there anything to defend about this episode? I will say though this made my list much lower this year, so my dislike for it is dying off a bit. It's still bad, though. It's just unfunny, boring, weird, and didn't really need to exist. I can't find anything here funny in the slightest. 99% of the "humor" is just related to the ick. I could've maybe left this off my list, but I think people have a lot of good reasons to hate this one. It doesn't even feel like a SpongeBob episode, instead it comes off as some really creepy fanfiction.

WhoBob: Ugh, this episode almost made my bottom 10. I personally don't think it's that bottom 10 worthy but I can see why. When we got to later episodes of season 4, we started to see the writers trying to include gross-out humor in this show. But gross-out humor in season 4 didn't bother me tbh, because it was still a bit tame. This is the episode that started off gross-out fad in SpongeBob and just like the fungus itself in this episode, the episode infected to a lot of season 5-7 in my eyes. Even though I've seen way grosser stuff in other cartoons (hello Brickleberry and season 12 of Family Guy), I still say this episode is pure disgusting. I could ignore fungus infecting everyone if it wasn't so disgusting looking, they don't do well with the comedy as well. It's non-existent (well Patrick's part was a bit funny, I guess). This episode feels like a parody of a horror movie that is about a disease infecting people and turning them into zombies. That's not what I want to see in this show. If I wanted to see, I'd rather see it them using the concept in a witty and less disgusting way. This episode is just gross and depressing. What I mean by depressing is that SpongeBob, who's a jolly character, feels awful and it's not bad to see his other emotions but here you really feel awful for what he's going through. Bikini Bottomies are another issue here. Yeah, I can see why they'd be mad at him but attacking him? That's pretty cruel of them, he didn't mean to create any harm. Besides, it was so stupid of them to do anyway since that made the situation even more disgusting. Dear god, the episode relies on too much of gross-out humor, this is one of the first times, I started to feel like this is not SpongeBob I grew up with anymore. Thank god, later episodes of this show have been good or at least tolerable to some people because I don't wanna see an episode like this ever again. 

• Like 4

PoP is way too high IMHO.

FuA: I can defend it, I find at least 25 other episodes that I dislike even more than I do for this one, and that is enough. I can't really hate this episode because I see no reason to be severely agitated by it, or even really annoyed except maybe pirate wrestling, although it does get a laugh for the idea sounds fun in real life.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bodacious T said:

I can defend it, I find at least 25 other episodes that I dislike even more than I do for this one, and that is enough. I can't really hate this episode because I see no reason to be severely agitated by it, or even really annoyed except maybe pirate wrestling, although it does get a laugh for the idea sounds fun in real life.

This is practically my own view :p.

Squid's Visit: I used to like this episode, I really don't now. Spongebob was way too out of character (stealing from Squidward and decorating his house to look exactly like his?! WHAT?!) and they were way too reliant on the joke of his creepy obsession.

Pet or Pests: Just a bleh episode that always turned me off.

Fungus Among Us: I've always found this to be a bit overhated, but I've also always never found a calling to defend it. The plot stinks and again, it's another episode that's too reliant on one (unfunny) joke. It doesn't get to me, but it's still bad.

I didn't agree with most of the lower spots but I'm liking how the higher ones are going.

I wish I was here when this started, I would've punished Truth or Square.

Edited by Honest Slug

11. The most hated episode of Season 9 and I can definitely understand why. Not only is it disgusting, but it's one of the most mean-spirited episodes too. THIS is the episode that people should refer to as a "Squidward abuse episode". I thought the concept where SpongeBob and Patrick take care of Squidward after he gets a concussion and turns into a baby was pretty interesting. It reminded me of that Rugrats episode that was similar to this. I just hate how they executed it. From Patrick literally throwing Squidward into the roof to Mr. Krabs showing no concern for him, it was just completely unpleasant. Definitely deserved #3 on my list.

10. I placed All That Glitters 2 spots above jjs' list at #17. I don't think it's the complete worst, but I do find the crying very repetitive and annoying. I did find the part where Patrick suddenly starts crying with SpongeBob decent, but that's about it. Plus, SpongeBob was naked for the 2nd half of the episode, which made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

9. This episode is............overhated, to be honest. I don't like it, but I don't hate it enough to put it on my list. It's a useless episode, but I've definitely seen worse episodes from the show. (Though if I did re-do my list and remove the episodes that I don't think were completely bad, then I may find some place to put this episode on.)

8. This made #23 on my list. It's not completely bad to put higher on my list, but it's more of a reject Bugs Bunny short more than anything. From my memory, I'm pretty sure it's one of those episodes where SpongeBob has puffy cheeks like from "Pet or Pests". Just like that episode, it has a repetitive gag where SpongeBob/Squidward clear their throats. It wasn't funny the first time nor is it the second. Those are the only complaints I really have for this episode.

7. I think this probably could've made it higher on my list. Putting it at #8 is just being too generous. It is one of the creepiest episodes of the show and it really brings out the stalkerish side of SpongeBob in this episode. Like, he literally copies every detail of Squidward's house. If that's not creepy then I don't wanna know what is. I also have to point out a little plot-hole in this episode. Didn't Squidward visit SpongeBob's house in other episodes? Again, I know that this show doesn't rely on continuity, but just like the scene where Larry forgets SpongeBob, I just have to question it here. It's not even funny creepy. There are some episodes like Gone where insanity can make sense, but here, it just makes SpongeBob completely out of character. Oh yeah, and the ending with Squidward's creepy dream completely scared me. No qualms with it being #7 on here.

6. See above

5. If I had anything to say to summarize this whole episode, it would be this.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8078833

(Thank you, Wumbo and SOF for giving us this appropriate reaction.)

I do not enjoy anything about this episode. It's completely disgusting and devoid of any humor. If I had to find anything to defend about this episode, it would take me a VERY LONG time. Also, one of the most facepalmy moments in the series is where the Bikini Bottomites try to attack SpongeBob without even thinking about the consequences. It has all the ingredients for one of the worst SpongeBob episodes at #2, but it's not even my worst. We'll get to that later.

4. To Love a Patty

F9fBJpV.png?1 

242 points. 13 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: 2 #2's: @Halibut & @PatrickFan1 )

At the Krusty Krab, SpongeBob is seen cooking Krabby Patties. He makes several Krabby Patties and falls in love with one, naming it "Patty." The patties are taken to customers who start wolfing down on the food. Consumed by guilt, SpongeBob rescues Patty by replacing her with a shoe, which the customer still enjoys.

SpongeBob takes Patty to his house. Patrick and Sandy arrive, both hoping to play with SpongeBob, only for SpongeBob to ignore them in favor of spending the day with Patty. Patrick is especially dismayed to have been rejected. Meanwhile, SpongeBob takes Patty to several activities, such as going to the fair eating cotton candy, the mall, the beach, when clams try to eat Patty, but SpongeBob attacks them with karate. Later, they ride a boat down a river, and they go down a waterfall and Patty falls apart in the water. SpongeBob puts the sandwich back together, but now Patty is soggy and gloomy looking.

After six hours of activity, SpongeBob takes Patty on a picnic in the park, but by now, the patty has spoiled. Somewhat oblivious to this, SpongeBob decides to take it on a date to the Krusty Krab. Once there, SpongeBob informs Mr. Krabs about his date and Mr. Krabs gets excited, thinking he is dating a rich girl, but finds it strange when he discovers the date is a Krabby Patty, with a rancid smell that drives off other customers. Squidward tries to tell SpongeBob that his date is just a rotten Krabby Patty, but SpongeBob still thinks Patty is beautiful until he smells her, then sees the hideous appearance of the spoiled patty. SpongeBob questions how this came to be. Mr. Krabs tells the fry cook that he once fell in love with a Krabby Patty. He then tells SpongeBob that Krabby Patties are meant to be loved and eaten. SpongeBob finally knows what he must do and eats his date, feeling nauseous afterward. The episode ends with SpongeBob asking for a doggie bag.

Jjs: Ehh...... I honestly don't agree with this episode being placed this high. That picture pretty much sums up my reaction to its placement in the countdown. I get why people dislike it...but #4? I don't know. This episode doesn't really bug me anymore. Now, don't worry, I'm not planning to defend this episode. There are legitimate reasons to not like it. It's boring, gross, and the plot is pretty dumb. But I feel it's really inoffensive compared to other episodes. Other than the dumb plot, I don't think it's THAT horrible. I don't think it's good, but much like The Splinter, I just don't find the need to hate it anymore, since I've found much worse episodes out there in the sea. To each their own, I suppose. I guess the hate for this one is just something I'll never get into.

Crushing: To start, To Love a Patty is one of those episodes that makes you think why was it made in the first place. SpongeBob falling in love with a patty might sound odd to some people but to some extent I can see why the creators chose this setting for the episode. SpongeBob loves cooking patties, in addition to loving his job at the Krusty Krab so it would make sense that he would like the patties he cooks, hence why he chose one of them and named it Patty. In my opinion, my views on the episode are mixed, on the first hand its just Spongebob's typical love for Krabby Patties, but on the other hand some viewers might have found it strange that he would fall in love with a Krabby Patty that way to the point that it was rotting away without Spongebob noticing it. Its really one of those weird episodes make you either love or hate it.

• Like 2

"To Love a Patty" is such a... strange episode. While I'm surprised it's this high, I'm more surprised it even exists, as it's an anomaly compared to the rest of season 5, as those episodes were more child-friendly and thus sucked by having more juvenile plots or being mind-numbing and boring (such as Waiting, Atlantis SquarePantis and The Inmates of Summer, all on my list). This episode wasn't as bare-boned as those and could have lead to a pretty insane and funny parody of love stories, but the seriousness of SpongeBob being romantically and sexually attracted to a disgusting sandwich outweighs the ridiculousness of the concept from an outsider, and the logic of SpongeBob's love for patties in general. It even started out pretty darn good until everything was hammered in by crappy electropop and grotesque visuals.  Not even sure what to think here.

I haven't been here in a while, might as well continue where I left.

Starting with the episode I left with, SpongeBob, You're Fired. I know many people already talked about this but I wanna talk about it as well.

Spoiler

This episode is written by three writer who I have a lot respect and they have written excellent episodes imo, I dunno how they screwed this up badly. It's like they got tired of writing this show, so they brought previous storylines and mix all of them and they made this. I can't believe I actually liked this episode at first because I was pretty skeptical about this. After seeing the second time, I gave it a meh score but even that isn't a right score for one of the most laziest written TV series, I've ever seen. Definitely up there with laziness of new episodes of FOP.  Nothing in this episode is original. We've seen SpongeBob fired before in Squid on Strike (can't count Karare Chopers since that was like 30 seconds), we've seen SpongeBob missing his job in Bummer Vacation, we've seen Mr. Krabs doing something stupid for a small money in Can You Spare a Dime, we've seen SpongeBob cooking at a different restaurant before in Le Big Stwich (even this episode ripped off same joke). Everything I have problem with post-movie is here. It has awful characterizations. Mr. krabs firing SpongeBob for a nickel is not only so cruel of him to do, it makes no sense whatsoever. Why would fire a frycook that make you a lot fo money, just to save a nickel? At least in Can You Spare a Dime, Mr. Krabs thought Squidward stole his precious money, here he never thought of SpongeBob doing something stupid to fire him. I would rather have SpongeBob getting fired for SpongeBob doing something dumb over Mr. Krabs making a bad decision. It just makes me hate him in this episode and the writing of that part making zero sense. Once again with jokes we don't like; SpongeBob cries and we have some gross imagery (albeit it was tolerable, it was still unfunny). The whole unemployement part was so boring and I can't believe they do nothing with this. Patrick is supoosed to be a fun character, here all the fun stuff he does is really uninteresting. At least he's not annoying. And we get to Sandy and I really didn't like how they made her a scientist that really didn't give a crap about people's lives but give a crap about experiment. That's not Sandy I wanna see. Sandy I know is extreme and dangerous but still cares, that's what I like about her. Here there's nothing good I can say about her. And we get SpongeBob trying do get a job but fail at four times at the exact same way, even SpongeBob that make that running gag feels pretty lifeless. Nothing cleever to say, it was just a damn filer. After we get to Spongeob's house, SpongeBob makes a really difference meal for Gary and Patrick and they don't do much with it. This is one of the times I really agree with mr. enter since he's right that they wastes a potential to create an interesting subplot. We later see SpongeBob getting captured 4 times and Squidward saving SpongeBob with a burger costume and binging him back to Krusty Krabs. Now I actually admit Squidward kicking ass was fun to watch, nothing too special but at least I payed attention. However, that is ruined by Squidward telling SpongeBob he hates him but he hates smell of buring patties more. That part pissed me off. Yeah, Squidward wouldn't tell SpongeBob that he actually likes him around but at least I could have seen some sort of him actually deeply caring for him. Saving him doesn't count since we actually don't see his feelings to SpongeBob, just him saying he hates him. Later it's all solved when all they need to do was making costumers pay for bathroom and our characters being happy again but I can't aceept this knowing that it was all just a poorly done status quo. The only thing that may made me keep me away from my #1 is that I realy have stronger opinions for my #1-3, and #4 and #5 are just harder to sit through than this, plus squidward kicking ass was cool, I gotta admit. Rant over :P

Choir Boys - I used to like it now, I find is pretty irritating and it pretty much ruined SpongeBob's characterization. Nothing to say more.

Pets Or Pests - I think you guys already made your pooints. the episode is way too gross.

To Love a Patty - Same here as well, except I'm surprised none of you mentionned SpongeBob killing clams. That part was pretty brutal and ooc for SpongeBob, I really find it disturbing.

• Like 1

I'm very late for my critiques, but here's what I got to say about the first half of the list:

50. No strong feelings on this one. It's not a good Squidward abuse episode, but it's definitely not a disproportionate one.
49. I honestly fairly liked this episode.
48. No strong feelings on this one either.
47. (1) If this episode is bad for being gross, there's got to be something more to it. Other than that, I don't get the hatred for this.
47. (2)/46. Unpopular opinion, but I think this episode is really funny, being able to get behind the "volume issues."
45. (1)/44. Claps may have some points about the episode, but the ending doesn't stop me from finding it so mean-spirited. Also, the hate I've had for this episode has been dying down for me.
45. (2)/44. Eh, I really don't see the hate for this one. Some parts of the episode were enjoyable.
45. (3)/44. It's a Mr. Krabs & money and Gary abuse plot, but it saved itself from being one of my least favorites by giving Mr. Krabs his karma and making SpongeBob stand up to himself after realizing what Mr. Krabs was doing to Gary.
43. *See my commentary*
42. (1)/41. It doesn't do as much justice to make me hate this episode, but most of the plot was just predictable and unfunny.
42. (2)/41. It's a Squid Abuse episode, but honestly, an enjoyable one at least.
40. For a while, I figured that people mutually hated this episode, but as of recent, but I guess it's not too bad, even if I did put it on my list. The ending was lopsided, Patrick's sudden OOC moment was uncalled for, the jellyfish were pretty annoying, but the whole plot where SpongeBob has to resort into hiding inside a cave and sculpt statues of himself, was actually pretty interesting, so I might be softening up a bit on this.
39. (1)/38. The climax and the ending pretty much prevented this episode from  being any less enjoyable.
39. (2)/38. I can definitely see why people hate this, but of all episodes where Patrick becomes a jerk due to the plot, I don't think this one is the worst. And as long  as there's "Driven to Tears" for me to complain about, "Rule of Dumb" isn't too bad.
39. (3)/38. This is weird for me to say, but it's rather too new to hate, let alone utterly despise.
37. (1) It could've been worse. I liked the gag where SpongeBob pretends to be a customer.
37. (2) Honestly, I feel like people take this episode WAY too seriously. Sure, it's an episode where Mr. Krabs acts all cheap. It's also an episode where he obsesses over one penny, but for a character like Mr. Krabs, who wouldn't? To back that up, in "Imitation Krabs," Plankton lures him with a self-proclaimed, ordinary penny. "Imitation Krabs" is a lot more enjoyable than "Penny Foolish," you guys would say, but my point is that I found "Penny Foolish" to be entertaining. I like this episode regardless of how stupid this is, and I think the point of the episode is that Mr. Krabs doing everything he could just to get one penny from SpongeBob is indeed stupid. Heck, I can get behind the dried-up gum twist and the twist that comes right after that. It's an idiot plot, yes, but in an enjoyable "so-idiotic-it's-hilarious" kinda way.
37. (3) I honestly don't care so much about the end where Mr. Krabs laughs at Plankton's failure (Being his enemy, Mr. Krabs is being his normal Plankton-hating self). What I really can't get behind is the twist that led up to the ending. I can also say that I do feel sorry for Plankton, but I'll admit, this episode doesn't get on my bad side in any way.
36. If I'm talking about this episode right, I can only bring up the suicide joke. Nothing to say about this one, really.
35. Misleading title aside, it's not too bad.
34. I still think this episode is special to me, even if I wouldn't consider as  much of a favorite anymore. If I'm going to talk about why I didn't hate this, I would go in a bit of a tangent. So I'm not going to say anymore.
33. (1)/32. Yet another unpopular opinion, I liked this episode. Oddly enough, I liked the slow pacing of some of the episode's jokes, because they're done so awkwardly I can't help but get a few laughs from it. Other than that, the plot with Squidward having to stay with SpongeBob and Patrick was fairly entertaining.
33. (2)/32. SpongeBob doesn't wail for a full 11 minutes, I really want to make that point for myself. For an episode that's about well....crying, I don't find it insufferable.
31. Oh boy, the episode that warned us that there were Squid Abuse episodes like these to come. Honestly, it's not that bad. Squidward ends up having to do community service, he misses his massage, he gets led into a lodge SpongeBob and Patrick made up that he wants no part of, but from these examples of Squid's abuse, nothing comes off as disproportionate or anything.
30. It's not up there with that one episode in terms of badness, but I still found some moments to be pretty annoying.
29. Speaking of annoying.....my thoughts exactly.
28. "Truth or Square?" being on the worst list honestly hurts me more than anyone else. I'll save my commentary on this for later.
27. After thinking about it, I feel like this should've been somewhere on my worst list. It's been slowly becoming one of my worst episodes.
26. Eh, it's not bad.
25. It's more middle-of-the-road mediocre than irredeemably bad based on what Mr. Enter and his fans think.

Edited by Steel Sponge

Plot twist: One Coarse Meal...isn't #2!

3. One Coarse Meal

efOJAJ0.jpg?1 

251 points. 13 out of 23 lists. (Highest Ranking: #1 - @JCM )

Mr. Krabs is sleeping in his money bath, then he smells something burning. SpongeBob then tells Mr. Krabs that it smells like Plankton with his new explosives. Plankton then explodes the Krusty Krab, while his machine caught SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs. Then Pearl comes to the kitchen and scares Plankton, which makes him go back to the Chum Bucket. He tells Karen about his fear of whales and she tells him there are no whales in the Chum Bucket. Then, Mr. Krabs, disguised as Pearl, scares Plankton. He enters in the Chum Bucket and Mr. Krabs appears saying that he wants the meat of Plankton. Plankton then runs away and has nightmares about an evil Pearl eating him and his cousins. Plankton appears in the road, about to commit suicide by being run over by a bus, but SpongeBob talks him out of it and whispers to Plankton about Mr. Krabs' worst fear and tells Plankton that it is Mr. Krabs disguised as Pearl. Plankton decides to torment Mr. Krabs with a mime. Later, SpongeBob scares Plankton away with holographic whales to keep him from getting the formula. SpongeBob then releases Mr. Krabs and the mime continues to torment him, but considering Mr. Krabs' change in attitude towards the clown after Plankton fled, it is implied that Mr Krabs was not afraid of the clown at all (and his fear earlier was a facade).

Jjs: Yes, it's the dreaded and feared episode that almost everybody and their grandmother hates... or is it? This episode did not actually make my list this year. In fact, it's probably nowhere close to my Bottom 25 at all anymore. I don't know... I guess it has softened on me a bit? I'm not sure why, but one day, I just...stopped hating this episode. Maybe all the hate made me grow apathetic toward it, or I found much worse episodes than this one. Now, much like To Love a Patty, I'm not defending it. People still have legitimate reasons to not like this (Mr. Krabs' behavior and such), but honestly, I have to give them some credit for a...different type of episode, like Demolition Doofus. The result might not have been good, but I do have to appreciate the attempt at a different episode here. I also liked the opening scene, even if it didn't really impact the episode's overall quality. And honestly, the infamous "street scene" is a pretty minor part of the episode to me now, and doesn't bug me. I don't find it to be the "worst of the show" anymore, I just find it to be another below average Season 7 episode. Sorry if people were expecting me to give a rant on this one, but honestly... I don't know what else there is to say that hasn't been said before, and quite frankly, it's just a meh episode for me. Not one I hate. Not one I like. Not even one I find okay. Just meh.

JCM: One Coarse Meal has been my least favorite episode of SpongeBob since I watched it for the first time several years ago. It is the worst example of character derailment that I've seen from the show, and I hate it as much now, if not more, than I did when I first watched it. Mr. Krabs, who has done lots of crappy things over the years, reaches his most irredeemable moment when he tortures Plankton just for the fun of it and feels absolutely no regret when he hears that Plankton is suicidal. (Also, one of the main characters attempt SUICIDE in a CHILDREN'S SHOW. It isn't hinted at like Are You Happy Now, it's crystal clear what's going on, and it's STILL PLAYED FOR LAUGHS.) While SpongeBob seems to show some empathy close to the end of the episode, he's back on Krabs' side in no time, leaving Plankton as the butt of the joke once again. The best episodes of SpongeBob, the ones that made people with fall in love with it, are the ones that had comedy as well as warmth. One Coarse Meal had neither, and I'd sooner the show get cancelled than come up with an episode like OCM again.

Edited by jjsthekid
  • Like 3

4. I don't like this episode either, but I think there are worse episodes than this one. I do think that SpongeBob takes his relationship with the Krabby Patty too far in this episode. Then, the patty just becomes gross near the end. Ugh. I can't really stomach this episode, but I don't HATE it.

3. .........this one was also absent from my list. Strange. Maybe I need to rethink my lists before I send them. Haven't really watched it in a while, but the episode still bothers me. Not because it's a dark and disturbing episode. I can handle Nasty Patty just fine. I can also tolerate some Krabs vs. Plankton episodes too, but it just doesn't work here. My main problem with this episode is that Mr. Krabs scares Plankton to the point of wanting to kill himself. See, that's where I draw the line. Can't believe this missed my list.

Also, I have a good feeling of what the other two will be, and I REALLY hope that A Pal for Gary is 2nd for once.