• Advertisement

Footloose and Fancy-Free Samples

101 Dalmatian Street

Track 08. Review 08. Through the Wire / Kanye West
Original Sample: Through the Wire / Chaka Khan
Rating: 3.7 out of 5

Well, I have realized that Kanye West does use sampling....but at first, it was not in a way I realized that that his career is built around that. I'm not going to waste my time reviewing everything from this recording artist though. Prepare your Nuggets, because here is my first Kanye West song review....

Before the new song: In 1985, Chaka Khan released her single "Through the Fire." It has only made it to #60. She had other hits, which were more successful and most of her success comes from duets with Steve Winwood, Quincy Jones, De La Soul, *cough* Peter Cetera *cough* and to a lesser and unrelated extent, Clay Aiken. Now in 2002, Kanye West was involved in a nearly fatal car accident, giving him a broken jaw, which would give him the inspiration to do the song "Through the Wire" a year later. This is the result...

The review:

Yo G they can't stop me from rapping can they?
Can they, huh?

Looks like you already made yourself clear. Now remember that Kanye is sampling "Through the Fire" and I have some things to say...

First, the song turns Chaka Khan into a chipmunk. I guess I can see why Akon to decided to have "Lonely" done into a similar format. Second of all, I better start being critical about this and say, what does this song have to do with anything Kanye West is discussing about? Nuggets can probably answer that for me, but I guess it's fine that Kanye decides to sample up "Through the Fire," for some kind of purpose to where he pitches up Chaka Khan's vocals, but how is this going to fit into a song covering up Kanye West's situation from a car crash and a broken jaw? Maybe I shouldn't be always trying to find a meaning behind the use of song for another. The point is, the sample just doesn't work for me.

I spit it through the wire man
There's too much stuff on my heart right now man
I'll gladly risk it all right now
It's a life or death situation man
Y'all don't really understand how I feel right now man

if he says "man" one more time, I'm going to puke. Anyways, I guess the point behind using "Through the Fire," is to be able to describe the terms "through the wire," which Chaka Khan has used for her lyrics. Yeah, now I seem to get it...

I drink a boost for breakfast, and ensure for dessert
Somebody ordered pancakes I just sip the sizzurp

That's great, now I'm having Far East Movement flashbacks.

Throughout the song by far, I honestly have really nothing to say for Kanye's choice of lyrics, except for that Biggie Smalls reference, how he talks about being in the same hospital where he died....well guys, I'm already stumped here. What else am I ever going to say, that Kanye West is proving himself worthy as far the song goes? UGH, WHAT AM I SAYING? Next...

They got my mouth wired shut for like I don't know the doctor said for like six weeks

Like, the doctor kinda sorta pretty much said my jaw is wired like this for, I don't know, six weeks I guess, am I right?

I look like Tom Cruise on Vanilla Sky, it was televised
There's been an accident like GEICO
They thought I was burnt up like Pepsi did Michael

Now we have Kanye West comparing himself to Tom Cruise and product placement further on. I'm not going to bother asking why.

And I still won't grow up, I'm a grown ass kid
Swear I should be locked up for stupid shit that I did
But I'm a champion, so I turned tragedy to triumph
Make music that's fire, spit my soul through the wire

To give Kanye some compliments, this sounds like a solid way to nearly end his song, like with Eminem and "Like Toy Soldiers." After that, we get the usual sampled up vocals from chipmunk Chaka Khan...

Know what I'm saying
When the doctor told me I had a um.. I was going to have a plate on my chin
I said dawg don't you realize I'll never make it on the plane now
Its bad enough I got all this jewelry on
Can't be serious man

Yep, and that should be the end of the song while this review surely hasn't ended on a high note. My take on this song was just awful. I figure that I haven't gotten enough material to cover this up than I should've had.

Was the glass slipper a perfect fit?: One of the biggest highlights here is chipmunk Chaka Khan. In spite of using the terms "through the wire," I cannot see how "Through the FIre" would be a good match-up for "Through the Wire." I made myself clear that the original sample does not fit as well, especially if it's going to be pitched up and having little relation to Kanye West's own song.

Old vs. new. Which is better?: I'm probably going to make some people on this thread angry by saying I'm more impressed with "Through the Fire" by Chaka Khan. Kanye West is a good musician, but however...

Final thoughts: Except for a few things, this song doesn't do much for me, for I am not really a big fan of this track. It's Kanye West, yes, but I find the choice of its sample to be a problem for me, the way he uses the word "man" in a few of his verses bugs me a bit, but that doesn't stop him from having a fairly good choice of lyrics and showcasing his consciousness remarkably. Additionaly, Acknowledging his nearly fatal experience was a good touch.

I also apologize for the day-late-arrival, but I don't think you guys would mind. While I get through my 1997 Billboard retrospective, I will review something more obscure as my next review....

Today, I start my first Billboard year-end retrospective countdown. For its variety of sample usage, I know that I would pick this year, even before looking through most of them. Today and on the 21st of this month, I am reviewing 1997, starting off with my worst picks.

1997 is a good year of music when you got memorable songs like "Don't Speak," "Karma Police," "Song 2," "Walkin' on the Sun," and "Lovefool." None of which were able to make any commercial success since most of them were apparently "not allowed to chart." Heck, not even "How Bizzare" was allowed to be in the Hot 100 and somehow it could have made my worst list. Now 1997, as a year for successful music in the mainstream business, was just bland. A good number of the songs are what I both find good and bad, while most of the others I find just ehhhhhhh....

Before I go ahead, here are some honorable mentions that could have made it, but haven't:

Barbie Girl / Aqua

Sampled used: None

I bet you were all expecting me to put this in my actual countdown. Why am I not considering this to be one of the worst of the year? I don't really think it's that terrible, I don't want to be too cliche, it at least has some good melody, and it looks like a song outside my appeal. When you look at my list, some of you guys are going be thinking that this, or some other song, should have gotten a spot, and I would understand.

I Finally Found Someone / Bryan Adams and Barbra Streisand

Sample used: None

Sometime after his "Waking up the Neighbors" album, Bryan Adams was going downhill really badly, and soon enough, his successful career was going with him. Not to mention that Barbra Streisand, Peter Cetera, Bruce Springsteen, Journey, Michael Bolton,and Eric Clapton all together would also stop making any more Top 40 hits after 1997. This song in particular is good old current days "Boring Bryan Adams" here, cheesy Adult Contemporary love song in most levels. But to me, not enough for the countdown...

Hard to Say I'm Sorry / Az Yet featuring Peter Cetera

Speaking of Peter Cetera, would this be enough to make you guys happy? Not really a bad song, but it doesn't do anything for me either. When it comes to a song with Peter Cetera, it's more like I'm playing a game of "Spot the Hidden Former Chicago Lead Singer."

Butta Love / Next

Meh. What shocks me more about this is that it managed to get another spot in the year-end 1998 charts. And that's all the songs I'd like to cover up before I begin.

Steel's Top 10 Worst Songs of 1997

10. Your Woman / White Town

Sample used: My Woman / Al Bowlly

Spoiler

So, how many guys have heard of White Town? Of course, this was his only hit and he seemed to have faded into obscurity, so I wouldn't expect much of an answer. Beats me on how old the original sample was, but White Town has the muted trumpet from "My Woman." It's no denying that White Town does create a haunting melody for it, but here's a few problems: you know the Imperial March theme from Star Wars, right? It could be said that Star Wars unwillingly ripped off Al Bowlly, but considering that the two songs sound alike, I can't really stop hearing "Imperial March" during "Your Woman." At times, I find the 4 second loop, when used, to be annoying at times. Another thing to note is the confusing lyrics which can take a while to get everything straightened out:

I could never be the right kind of girl for you,
I could never be your woman.

I could never spend my life with a man like you.
I could never be your woman.

Take those for example. I am definitely not homophobic, but my point is that with lyrics like those and a first person narrative, I cannot keep track. Most of you now are thinking that this song could have been an honorable mention, but with the reasons given out, I personally do not like this single. Sorry if some of you happen to be fans of this.

9. Barely Breathing / Duncan Sheik

Spoiler

I can't put too many hip hop / R&B songs on here, so I had a pick one song that doesn't do any justice for me....like this one. What do I think of this one? I think it's just bland and not really as interesting.

There's not much to examine
There's nothing left to hide
You really can't be serious
If you have to ask me why
I say goodbye

Everyone keeps asking
What's it all about?
I used to be so certain
Now I can't figure out

Most of the lyrics can be corny and/or cheesy, so here's some more things to back up my opinion on this. I already made myself clear on my opinion of this song and the reason for making this spot, so I'm cutting it short.

8. Foolish Games // You Were Meant for Me / Jewel

Spoiler

Spoiler

It's an A and B side single, so I don't know if I should cover the lesser known one too. "You Were Meant for Me" was a bigger hit, but most of my criticism goes out to "Foolish Games." I could care less about "You Were Mean for Me," but I don't know if that could even deserve the spot like "Foolish Games."

What problems do I have with "Foolish Games?" Taking a look through the lyrics, I find the song itself melodramatic. On another side of the lyrics...

You're always the mysterious one with
Dark eyes and careless hair

You stood in my doorway, with nothing to say
Besides some comment on the weather.

You loved Mozart and you'd speak of your loved ones
As I clumsily strummed my guitar.

It pretty much sounds as if she's writing some kind of romance novel and not to mention some of them are just flat.

7. 4 Seasons of Loneliness / Boyz II Men

Spoiler

Oh boy, it looks like I got a Boyz II Men song for the road. I'm not saying that Boyz II Men are really bad of an R&B group, they have some good and okay songs. Once you already get familiar with their style, this single and their album of 1997 is to where it's getting old. The song itself manages to become cheesy and somewhat dull....

Life's empty without you by my side
My heart belongs to you
No matter what I try

Considering the title of "4 Seasons of Loneliness," there's going to be something to add up to the cheesiness.

In comes the winter breeze
That chills the air and drifts the snow
And I imagine kissing you under the mistletoe

When springtime makes its way here
Lilac blooms reminds me of the scent of your perfume

When summer burns with heat
I always get the hots for you
Go skinny dippin' in the ocean where we used to do

When autumn sheds the leaves the trees are bare
When you're not here it doesn't feel the same

It's very much a bunch of romance tropes to describe their love. Beats to me to why Boyz II Men would be interesting with going skinny dipping in the ocean. Once reality strikes, be careful for some jellyfish and stingrays, ouch. Who knows if there's anything positive for the season of autumn, but they sure don't enjoy it.

6. The Jock Jam / ESPN (or Various Artists)

Sample used: So many...

Spoiler

Oh boy, here's a big one. Before I cover this up, here's the list of songs used as samples:

Get Ready for This / 2 Unlimited

Whoomp! (There It Is) / Tag Team

Pump Up the Jam / Technotronic

This Is Your Night / Amber

Be Aggressive / Faith No More

It Takes Two / Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock

I Like to Move It / Reel 2 Real

Give It Up / The Goodmen

Boom Boom Boom / The Outhere Brothers

Tootsee Roll / 69 Boyz

Twilight Zone / 2 Unlimited

The Bomb! (These Sounds Fall into My Mind) / The Bucketheads

Strike it Up / Black Box

"Action, Boys, Action / Jock Jam Cheerleaders

Rock and Roll (Part 2) / Gary Glitter

Y.M.C.A. / The Village People

Everybody Everybody / Black Box

Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now) / C+C Music Factory

Now I've got another reason why I've picked this year. Aside from the spoken word samples, this one samples up 18 different tracks in 3 minutes! Quite impressive, but why did Billboard give ESPN a spot on here? Not only that, but some of the samples chosen are pretty shabby and it gets messy.

Just so you'd think "Tootsee Roll" could stop being relevant, it's right here in the song, just to torture you again for a few seconds. Did I also mention that I dislike "I Like to Move it?" Overall, to cut this short, this could be a good enough dance song if they didn't use too many.

I will continue this in a second part, because I don't want to flood this with too many words and such. Until then, keep posted for my next 5 worst songs of 1997.

Steel's Top 10 Worst Songs of 1997 (Part 2)

5. Last Night / Az Yet

Spoiler

You remember seeing this on Wumbo's 1996 year-end retrospective, right? As you can see, my thoughts on this is more critical. Of all R&B group songs I had to go through, this is more boring for me. It doesn't help how much more similar Az Yet can be to Boyz II Men in this song.

Let's take a while and start praising this song. Who could imagined to use terms such as "making love to you," "I saw heaven," and "I'm so in love?" I'm sorta pushing it, but these 'terms' only make the song feel more flat. Let's not forget about the wonderful use of romantic metaphors based on nature sceneries, it's just so majestic! What's not to love? I for one am not feeling it, in case you didn't catch my sarcasm again.

You felt incredible
I started to explode
I almost cried 'cause it was so beautiful

These boys couldn't cry if they just exploded, if I were to put it literally. In fact, man it up. She sure isn't something to cry for anyways.

4. Go the Distance / Michael Bolton

Spoiler

Expect some nerd rage on this one. You know, I can't be too harsh on Michael Bolton, but of all Hercules songs and popular artists, this song and Michael Bolton had to be chosen for a profitable pop version? Why not have "The Gospel Truth" and Whitney Houston? Or "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" and Mariah Carey? Not even "One Last Hope" and Puff Daddy? I guess I can't argue if there was no other choice.

Don't get me wrong, I love "Go the Distance"...preferably the movie version with Roger Bart. To paraphrase what Bennett the Sage once said, making fun of Michael Bolton is like making fun of a mentally challenged child, but my main point is that "Go the Distance" and Michael Bolton do not mix very well. And what would a pop version of a Disney song be without extra lyrics?

And I won't look back, I can go the distance
And I'll stay on track, no, I won't accept defeat
It's an uphill slope, but I won't lose hope
Till I go the distance, and my journey is complete

The lyrics are not too bad, even if it's corny at times. but I like the original with the "I know I can do it, I know it's going to take a lot of effort, and I'm not letting this dream go" sound. When I listen to this version, I feel like I'm getting the "I hope I can do it, I believe I can, possibly with the power of love," sound. Whatever you can call that, I just think the way Michael Bolton does this song ruins what made the original a classic tune a bit and makes it sound cowardly. He's got a good voice, but this is still not a perfect fit for him. The guitar solo is a saving grace, though.

3. Gotham City / R. Kelly

Spoiler

And no, I'm not talking about that one song Dr. Sex covered up. Here's one thing I forgot to bring up: did you know that "Foolish Games" was used for Batman & Robin? Surely, that song did have something to do with the critical failure of a movie, right? Here's another one of those songs from the movie, and it's done by R. Kelly of "I Believe I Can Fly" fame. (In which the song charted during the same year)

What do I not like about R. Kelly's "Gotham City?" Think about it, does this song manage to capture the atmosphere of the Batman movies? No it doesn't.  First, let me talk about some other songs from the other 90s Batman movies. "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" by U2 gives the movie a rather exciting vibe and a great sound. "Kiss by a Rose" by Seal didn't originate from the movies, but with a strong ballad once as the song progresses, Seal doesn't fail to amuse. "Batdance" by Prince....Clappy has it said better and I'm not going to waste my time getting it off of iTunes or whatever just to listen to it and try not to cringe.

"Gotham City..." sometimes it has to do with what R. Kelly is trying to describe...

How loud, quiet nights in the mist of crime
How next door to happiness lives sorrow

And for the rest of the way, the song loses its meaning behind the fictional city....

A city of justice, a city of love
A city of peace, for everyone of us
We all need it, can't live without it
Gotham City, oh, yeah

Because really, Gotham City is a city of love, am I right!? I don't know if I should be to critical on this single, but imagine if Man of Steel needed some award bait song to go with it, and once the movie would came out, we would then be greeted with Justin Timberlake's "Shiny Happy Kryptons."

Serves me right for being a nerd, because I fail to see what R. Kelly sees in Gotham City and believe that the song doesn't give the meaning of Gotham City in a superior way. I believe he just screwed it up. R. Kelly might be a good musician, but I don't like this song, same for how almost everybody would feel about the Batman & Robin movie.

2. My Baby Daddy / B-Rock and the Bizz

Sample used: Best of my Love / The Emotions

Spoiler

In a way, I feel like I'm forced to put this song at this respective spot. Heck, even if the number one spot here isn't well-deserving, then it could end up being my most hated hit song of this year.

Who that is?
That's just my baby daddy
Who that is?
That's just my baby dad
Who that is?
That's just my baby daddy
Who that is?
That's just my baby dad

So wait, who is he again? The chorus just goes on and on before and after going to the verses. Hence, I find the chorus to be just tedious. As the song goes, it talks about someone's "Baby Daddy," if that's what they want to call him. Now let's cover up some more of the lyrics here...

When the phone click don't even try girl
Quit lying girl
You must think I'm stupid or either blind girl

Look what he's got to say girl, at least he doesn't rhyme everything else with "girl." Let's not forget to mention he asks a variety of questions...

How come your best friend told me the dude's name was Ken?

You better get it together, 'cuz whenever you lie?

Hey, why don't you get up and get the door?

I'm not done yet...

I'm sick and tired, girl
You 'bout to get fired, girl
Don't even try, girl
But I ain't all really polite, girl
I'm sick and tired, girl
You 'bout to get fired, girl
Shut up and keep quiet, girl
I'm sick & tired of all your lying, girl

Oh great, it's this again, girl. Why am I saying this, girl? He could at least say something else at the end other than girl, girl. Just go ahead now.

When you got a chorus than can get annoying and some cheap lyrics, you got this song at #2. It's kinda hilariously bad than the worst thing ever if I compare this to the next song on the list. Now that this one's out of the way, what's missing from this countdown? What could be the #1 song that makes me want to bury my head and think to myself, "why did this make the year-end charts?" Here it is....

1. Let me Clear my Throat / DJ Kool

Spoiler

"Let me Clear my Throat at #1?" Sure. I mean, if Clappy can put "The Fox" at #1 in his worst of 2013 list, then I can put this one at the top of my countdown. Certainly, this is not the original album version, but ugh....what is this? What's Biz Markie and Doug E. Fresh doing there? Is this song supposed to make me laugh? Is it worth calling it a "hilariously bad" song? Many questions to ask as much as there's problems with this single. First off, this was released in Spring 1996 and surged into popularity during Spring 1997. Let's take a look at the lyrics, shall we...

Hit me with the horns Tony
Keep makin' noise, keep makin' noise, yeah, oh
Here we go now, here we go now, here we go now
Here we go, here we go, now listen

Sounds like something that came from writer's block, but I'm aware of how repeating some words can be pleasant. You can tell I'm not fond of this song at this point.

Yeah, rock to the rhythm of the funky rhyme
So I can get this in just one more time

Now let's Green Egg and Ham it.

Peter Piper picked a pepper but Kool got the Run

What does Peter Piper have to do with anything?

So look it here check the flavor of the rhythm
I wrote and while I got a chance here
Let me clear my throat oh, have mercy babe, ha
I hope ya don't mind, let me clear my throat

There's more tasteless lyrics out here, but watch as this guy "clears his throat." You heard right, a dance song about coughing. And it goes a little something....

Like this here ah huh ah huh ah

Now when I say freeze you just freeze one time
When I say freeze y'all stop on a dime
When I say freeze you just freeze one time
When I say freeze y'all stop on a dime freeze

But you already told us to freeze. Heck if I know what a dime freeze is...

Yeah, it gets more painful to listen to, IMO. I consider this my worst song of 1997 for a bunch of reasons including the bad lyrics, the context of this song, and the beat. Is this supposed to be bad? Is this song supposed to be a joke? It's just...dumb, I'm not laughing. I'm taking this a little too seriously and I just can't help but do that. With all that said, I absolutely dislike this song out of all the hits from this Billboard year and I'll come back around with my top 10 best of 1997 in a couple of weeks.

Track 09. Review 09. Girls / Cam'Ron featuring Mona Lisa
Original Sample: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun / Cyndi Lauper

Rating: 2.8 out of 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX677GFIs2w

When I said I was going for something obscure this week, I wasn't really kidding. Here's another regular sampled up song review until I continue with the 1997 year-end retrospective next week. According to Youtube, it will sooner or later cave in to 700,000 views, but this still peaks at 600,000. I'm picking this over the popularity of the original over the popularity of the Cam'Ron version, admittedly. What makes this work is that this song was released as a single and had its own music video.

Before the new song: Only in my views would I consider the original sample a guilty pleasure of mine, because apparently, I just do not like this song.....I love this song. Getting to the point, Cyndi Lauper debuted into the music scene with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun," in 1983. It got itself a music video further on, with Captain Lou Albano playing a role. Cam'ron, currently a two-hit-wonder, would use the song as a sample for his song, with the self-explanatory title "Girls" in 2004. Technically, he's barely gotten any chart success at all! Who is Mona Lisa anways and why is a Leonardo Da Vinci painting doing guest vocals with Cam'ron anyways!? Mona Lisa herself didn't really have much chart success with any of the artists she collaborates with, but she is the pop and R&B singer who does the chorus, so that's something from a rapper whose popularity seems to have faded away.

The review: As I should point out about the chorus, it is pretty much the main lines from Cyndi Lauper's song and nothing much. Let's get to Cam'ron's parts now...

Damn chump pass, he a dumb ass
Call J.R., get a fun pass

First couple of lines and I'm already trying to figure this out. For starters, J.R. stands for Ja Rule, if that's what Cam'ron is referring to.

We be wit her, me, Jim Z, hit her
Then she wit flea flicker, Don G.G, get her
P.E wit her, wee wee, eazy
Ol' me, ol' G, little me, lick he

So far from what I can interpet, this is a good old fashioned sex song, which must be the "fun" that girls just wanna have. What's with the heavy use of slang (if I can call it slang) at this point though? I can understand some bits of it, but it kinda bugs me.

Had her alley to alley
Hawaii and Maui, and Cali to Bali

What is this? Some kind of rhyming speed round? To give credit, it's a clever rhyming scheme at that, even if I believe he doesn't have to try to rhyme numerous places with "alley."

Goddamn, stuck like stuck o
Cut loose slut, no, here he come, uh oh

I guess this is getting a little bit sharper minus the "slang." What else can I say? It's a fairly obscure song.

Just right I do, heals high
Wheels fly, real fly, Nikes' on you

So is he implying he would have sex with the girl with his shoes on? *shrug* Product placement aside, I just don't see why he would put shoes into subject. 

Whatz that? Who you wit? Where you at? Where you goin'?
Where you goin', I'm flowin', she blowin'
Sky high like a bowin', got pies like it snowin'

So many questions, so little time, Cam'ron. Additionally, I bet it's banana cream pie he's talking about. *gets booed*

An' the world is yours, honey, sip sizzurp

Earl of course

Yeah, now I'm just getting sick of the use of the word "sizzurp," IMO! Might as well put in on my list, below the other two S's "swag" and "shorty."

And you know I'm in the buildin', mister
Wit the Olsen twins or the Hilton sisters
An' I haul 'em in to the Hilton's, mister

Yup, back when there was much talk about the Olsen twins and the Hiltons. Those were the days...

I milked them, I killed them
You quilt them, you missed her
You helped her, you kissed her
You felt all the blisters, melt on your whiskers

Well, dang. Now that's just quite action packed for Cam'ron. I bet he means "killed them" in a not-so-deadly way of saying it.

Anyways, that should now be all the time I got for the song, so let's get to the main critiques...

Was the glass slipper a perfect fit?: I can see where Cam'ron is getting at with "Girls," and that they want to have fun. I guess the use of this sample was okay, he and Mona Losa don't butcher it, but I feel he didn't have to sample up Cyndi Lauper's song. I don't know if this review was a bit pointless, but he at least sampled something, even though it was used a little bit.

Old vs. new. Which is better?: This is just too obvious, the original by Cyndi Lauper is no contest! Short and to the point.

Final thoughts: This song definitely does not work for me. This raunchy sex song itself isn't really as fun and comes out as a boring R&B and hip hop crossover single with a lot of reliance on "slang," in spite of some good touches on Cam'ron's rhyming schemes. Talk about an obscure song with yet a popular sample, it's just strange and I don't know how to describe a situation like that. Regardless, I think he didn't really have to interpolate the Cyndi Lauper song.

Next, I'm going to wrap up 1997 with my best choices from the aformentioned year.

Also how is there no sample used in it? Where also would the drum beat and saxophone come from?

And to make up for that, let me fix this:

Let me Clear my Throat / DJ Kool

Sample used: The 900 Number / The 45 Kings

Steel's Top 10 Best Songs of 1997

I don't know what to say about 1997 if it was good or bad. Like I could have said before, if they changed up the rules earlier and gave successfully uncharted singles from that year a chance at the Hot 100, I wouldn't consider this much of a boring year. It was fairly lacking in "star power" among the recording artists, certain dance/pop tracks turned out to be mediocre in critical standards, and it was just full of unlucky one-hit wonders, to name a few flaws. Let's get the show on the road, here are some my favorites to prove why 1997 can be seen as a not too bad year:

10. Tubthumping / Chumbawamba

Spoiler

Well guys, it's to the point where I think I should give a song like "Tubthumping" as one of the good tracks. Let's face it, it's not impossible to get yourself hooked on something that goes like this...

I get knocked down

But I get up again

You're never gonna keep me down

This song is rather weird when you cross that over with the sound a female singer as if it shifts to a pop tone, and with a hip-hop-ish sound after that. It also makes the chorus the only thing unforgettable about the song with the rest sounding a little bit unappealing, but you know, I still like this song. They could have done better with some of the verses, such as this...

He drinks a whiskey drink

He drinks a vodka drink

He drinks a lager drink

He drinks a cider drink

So, I can't give this a bigger passing grade.

9. Candle in the Wind 1997 / Elton John

Spoiler

Have you ever wondered what song was the biggest hit of 1997? The likes of Jewel, Puff Daddy, Hanson, and Toni Braxton...either one of them could have pulled it off if it wasn't for one song that would be successful enough to be one of the highest selling singles other than "White Christmas." It was that successful, but I can understand that considering Princess Diana's untimely death....

This is a re-write of Candle in the Wind, which was decided to Princess Diana of Wales, who died on the last day of August due to a car accident in Paris.

This song can be quite a tearjerker, and doesn't really come out as cheesy. It's Elton John though, what do you expect? It's no denying that he did a good job with this In Memoriam single.

8. Honey / Mariah Carey

Samples used: Hey DJ / World's Famous Supreme Team & The Body Rock / The Treacherous Three

Spoiler

Here's one R&B single I can get used to it and it's from Mariah Carey no less. On top of that, it crosses over with hip-hop.

So, what do you get when you out together a thrilling music video and a song that samples up two others, creating a genuinely charming hip-hop/R&B track? That is the question.

At first, I wasn't too impressed, but...it's just as fascinating. Mariah Carey's vocal work gives it a much higher result. Do I have anything else to say? I guess not...

7. I'll Be / Foxy Brown featuring Jay-Z

Samples used: I'll Be Good / Rene & Angela & Another One Bites the Dust / Queen (Trackmasters Remix)

Spoiler

I would never thought that I put this song higher, but I still enjoy it. While Jay-Z survives through success, Foxy Brown could have thrived, so perhaps she could use some more attention.

I'll start up the compliments with the way the duo sample up "I'll Be Good" in which it significantly works for the chorus. The rhyming skills and personality are two defining reasons to enjoy this song. Cutting this short, let's move on to the next hit song...

6. Change the World / Eric Clapton

Spoiler

I'm not an avid fan of soft rock, it was more of a success back in 1996 even if it hit the Top 70 in the year-end charts the year after, but it surely didn't win Song of the Year for nothing. With all that said, I can't rank this any higher.

It was one of those rock songs I found good and I see this as one of Eric Clapton's gems.

And I can change the world,

I will be the sunlight in your universe.

You would think my love was really something good-

I also suppose that short falsetto makes the song more interesting to boot. Now I'm off to the Top 5 bracket. Which song snags the next spot?

5. Hypnotize / The Notorious B.I.G.

Samples used: Rise / Herb Alpert & La-Di-Da-Di / Slick Rick

Spoiler

Once I progress with this list, this will have you guys thinking that this song should be higher. I also can't forget to mention that I am lightening up to hip-hop, with "Hypnotize" being no exception. It's an understatement to say that Biggie "saved" this year.

Also, if you thought the music video for "Honey" was good enough, Biggie gives out a better treat.

To discuss my highlights of this song....it's Biggie Smalls, can't you see? Sometimes his words just hypnotize me.

I put hoes in NY onto DKNY

Miami, D.C. prefer Versace

All Philly hoes, dough and Moschino

Every cutie wit a booty bought a Coogi

Now who's the real dookie, meaning who's really the shit

To sum things up, with sufficient rhyming skills and a rapper with moxie comes another great track from Notorious B.I.G.

4. No Diggity / Blackstreet featuring Dr. Dre

Sample used: Grandma's Hands / Bill Withers

Spoiler

It makes more sense for me to rank it like this, being more successful during 1997 while being the already big hit in 1996. My consensus is like what Wumbo has said about this song: it's just really cool. On another note, Dr. Dre is here to give this a more rewarding spot.

Tell me who can stop when Dre making moves

Attracting honeys like a magnet

Giving 'em eargasms with my mellow accent

I couldn't have said it better...

I like the way you work it

No diggity, I got to bag it up, bag it up

Who could not enjoy this song? It's a "hard sell" among the group members, but words cannot describe how cool their song is.

Now onto #3 on the countdown. If I have to be controversial, I'll go ahead and say that this is my choice for the spot...

3. Sunny Came Home / Shawn Colvin

Spoiler

""SUNNY CAME HOME" HIGHER THAN "HYPNOTIZE" AND NO "DIGGITY?" WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO US, STEEL?"

It's only my opinion. I don't know if Sunny Came Home has its fans like "Let me Clear my Threat" had, so I'm not sure if it's worth calling this a guilty pleasure of mine. It's a personal favorite for me, so I decided to have this ranked at a number three hot spot.

I could think of two other good songs than Song of the Year right here, but what I like about this single is the story behind it and it's haunting tone to share. For some reason, the chorus manages to elude me as well.

Subject to the story, this is about Sunny who makes a decision to burn down her house as a way to escape her past, just to describe the song. I'm also fond of this song for being one of those rare, black sheep, hit Billboard songs of whatever year, I guess.

Little fun fact, before we had Kanye West not letting Taylor Swift finish, we got Dirty Ol' Bastard of Wu-Tang Clan briefly interrupting and making a protest when "Sunny Came Home" become Song and Record of the Year.

2. C U When U Get There / Coolio featuring 40 Thevz

Sample used: Pachelbel's Canon / Johann Pachelbel

Spoiler

A first impression on this song would be "Who the heck is 40 Thevz though?"

When I think about a song that might have done more impressively than "Sunny Came Home," the title above is what I put into mention. That impressive individual would be Coolio.

If Green Day ("Basket Case") and Oasis ("Don't Look Back in Anger") can use the Canon and make it work, so can Coolio. Now, how do I sum this up?

if you ain't peeped then you must be drinkin' and smokin'

pretending not to loc'in but you're broken

let me get you open

now little Timmy got his diploma and little Jimmy got life

and Tamika round the corner just took her first hit off the pipe

I'm just awestruck, as in I'm just blown away with how good this sounds. I just love almost all of it...but if this is my #2, then what other song could beat this? I'll go ahead and say that "Hypnotize" is not the only thing from Biggie on here....

1. Mo Money Mo Problems / Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase, Puff Daddy, Kelly Price, and perhaps Diana Ross

Sample used: I'm Coming Out / Diana Ross

Spoiler

For a reason, placing this song at #1 gives me a special meaning. I have listened to hip-hop before, but I sure wasn't a big fan of it or an open book when it comes to my childhood usually being centered around country, listening to classic rock on the bus, and getting myself into pop and alternative at some point. Throughout my high school years is where I take more notice into the hip-hop scene on mainstream radio, with a hint of "80's to now" radio. I listened to "Mo Money Mo Problems" for one instance. Much later, I immediately figured out the song and recognized it by the time I caught it while tuning in to Pandora Radio. The fact that I enjoy this song makes my expectations and general thoughts more positive.

It's not perfect when Mase's voice doesn't sound as thrilling, a few lyrics are misses, but you know....I could care less on those. I'm also thinking you guys are probably going to try and convince me that this and "Hypnotize" should be switched around.

A very unique sample is chosen for this rap/hip-hop song, but it works. It works because of how I can fun with it and that I'm a sucker for a funky rhythm as a sample, such as the likes of Diana Ross. It's more pleasurable of how well Kelly Rice can channel the vocal abilities of Diana Ross and create such a fine melody.

I don't know what, they want from me

It's like the more money we come across

The more problems we see

I also kinda like how each of the artists get a fair share since it's obviously not just Biggie in-charge of the mic.

This is an example of a song that I would want to keep bouncing back to and have a lot of fun listening to. Overall, with that, a catchy melody, a well-executed sample, smooth personality, and brilliant rhyming skills, this is why I would consider "Mo Money Mo Problems" as my biggest highlight for the year 1997.

To wrap this up, here are some Honorable Mentions to my "Best of" countdown:

I Believe I Can Fly / R. Kelly

Now here's a good listen from the good, old, controversy-less days of R. Kelly. I've got not much to say except that It's a pretty good R&B song and it's surprising for what a movie like Space Jam can with songs like that one.

B!tch / Meredith Brooks

Technically not enough to make my Top 10, IMO. Yet, I would still have a good time listening to this rock single.

Fly Like an Eagle / Seal

Sample used: Crazy / Seal (for one instance)

Seal does a not-bad job of covering the original Steve Miller Band song, what else can I say? Once again, it's another Space Jam single.

When You Love a Woman / Journey

Because it's from one of my favorite bands doesn't mean I can't give it a deserving spot. Their Trial by Fire album was mediocre, IMO. I can also see is as a guilty pleasure and we at least got Steve Perry's voice to make it sound a bit more appealing.

Now, there's that one other song that become a big hit in 1997 that I haven't covered up yet, what could it be?

Spoiler

Spoiler

THIS would be the one I'm talking about.

So, until next time, that will be the song I will be reviewing by next week.

So, I just came across this just today. Right now, it's #99 on the Hot 100...

Spoiler

and I'm not kidding when I say that these guys sampled Spongebob's catchphrase:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2dJxFIV28Y

I think I know what I'll do next after I cover up "I'll Be Missing You..."

Track 10. Review 10. I'll Be Missing You / Puff Daddy featuring 112 & Faith Evans
Original Sample: Every Breath You Take / Sting & The Police & Adagio for Strings / Samuel Barber

Rating: 3.1 out of 5

It was no sell for neither my best or worst lists. This is a more famous example of sampling during 1997, so I better make an long, in-depth review on this.

Before the new song: "Every Breath You Take" can simply be considered as one of the most popular songs during the 1980's. It was released as a single in 1983. Not only did it become #1, it was the #1 song of that year. What do I have to say? "Every Breath You Take," in my opinion HAS GOT TO BE ONE OF THE MOST OVERRATED SONGS I COME TO KNOW! This was #84 on Rolling Stones' 500 Greatest Songs list!- fine, I'll remain calm. For the record, Sting is considered one of the "worst" songwriters for a reason, and I don't know if that song counts. In 1997, Notorious B.I.G., or Biggie Smalls, was murdered. As a tribute to his death and how much everybody will be missing him, Puff Daddy comes out with "I'll Be Missing You," almost three months after the rapper's death. You guys already know what sample he chooses.

The review: I'm going to start this by talking about how the music video begins as Puff Daddy....gets a steering problem and falls off his motorcycle. Let's not forget to mention that the intro is shorter during the music video. And let be first to say that the intro that is apparently cut from the single is ANGELIC GOODNESS for something that's two minutes long!

This is the part I'm talking about that was cut, BTW:

Spoiler
Every day I wake up
I hope I'm dreamin'
I can't believe this shit
Can't believe you ain't here
Sometimes it's just hard for a ***** to wake up
It's hard to just keep goin'
It's like I feel empty inside without you bein' here
I would do anything man, to bring you back
I'd give all this shit, shit the whole knot
I saw your son today
He look just like you
You was the greatest
You'll always be the greatest
I miss you Big
Can't wait til that day, when I see your face again
I can't wait til that day, when I see your face again

Most of the time, the song would start off like this while cuing the "Every Breath You Take" sample:

Yeah... this right here (tell me why)
Goes out, to everyone, that has lost someone
That they truly loved

Not only does this go out to the loss of Biggie, Puff Daddy acknowledges that this also goes out to everyone who lost someone that they loved. It could be said that anyone can feel for this song.

Seems like yesterday we used to rock the show
I laced the track, you locked the flow
So far from hangin' on the block for dough

And Puff Daddy here starts with the song by discussing the memories the two shared.

Reminisce some time, the night they took my friend
Try to black it out, but it plays again
When it's real, feelings hard to conceal
Can't imagine all the pain I feel

Another one my impressions on this song is that it feels like a speech from Puff Daddy for Biggie's death, but doing that while rapping and sampling Sting and The Police. So far, it's not on the overly sentimental side and Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Sean Combs/D. Paddy/Duff Piddy/etc. can churn out some good rhymes.

Every step I take, every move I make
Every single day, every time I pray
I'll be missing you
Thinkin of the day, when you went away
What a life to take, what a bond to break
I'll be missing you

To interpolate with the chorus from "Every Breath You Take," the aftermath of the rapper's death would be to the point where I say....we get it. Not only that, it's as if they don't want to leave him alone, even though he died.

Watchin' us while we pray for you
Every day we pray for you
Til the day we meet again
In my heart is where I'll keep you friend

I'm pretty sure Faith Evans already acknowledged how they would pray for them not too many lines ago. It's starting to get sentimental now, but IMO, it doesn't dare to cover it with so much cheese.

My thoughts Big I just can't define

But aren't you defining them right now?

Every night I pray, every step I take
Every move I make, every single day
(Every day that passes)
(Is a day that I get closer
To seeing you again)

You can stop anytime now....

(We miss you Big... and we won't stop)
(Cause we can't stop... that's right)
(We miss you Big)

And the single version will repeat the chorus and...that should be all the time I have for this song.

Was the glass slipper a perfect fit?: There's a difference here. One is a love song while the other is a "I miss you very much from the bottom of my heart" tribute. I can't say that they don't do well together. And you know....there are a number of songs that use sampling whereas people consider it lazy. Do I think the sampling done here is lazy? A little bit. While this was almost 3 months after Notorious' death, I can't usually tell. I don't really know when or how I should judge a sampled up song as lazy most of the time, admittedly. "Every Breath You Take" and its unintentionally creepy lyrics don't match up outside of its nice and slow beat, while "I'll Be Missing You" can be sentimental at times and outside of the original sample's "lovey-dovey meaning." Regardless, it does a fair job with the context of the beat and the "Adagio for Strings" sample was a nice touch for the beginning of the album version.

Old vs. new. Which is better?: In terms of ranking all the songs from year-end 1997, I say that "I'll Be Missing You" is just in the middle of the road. I'm also not a fan of "Every Breath You Take," so I'm going to say...neither.

Final thoughts: Making a tribute to Biggie Smalls wasn't really unnecessary, I don't see it as a poor marketing excuse and I think Puff Daddy tried to put some effort into this. It gets saccharine at times. the sample choice is questionable, it's kinda boring, but I still don't seem to hate on it.

The next song to review is not the one by AJR just yet. The next review will focus on Kanye West again.....and Chamillionaire, as I will cover up a pair of two songs in one.

You're not a fan of "Every Breath You Take"?  :patrick_crying-308:

Also, who considers Sting one of the worst songwriters?

My regular consensus would be that it just doesn't work for me.

I actually have no idea if have to agree with some websites saying if Sting is one of many of the worst songwriters, hence why I said I don't really know if it counts the lyrics to "Every Breath You Take." The lyrics on that song is not all bad while I find it odd how Google Search suggestions put Sting behind "worst songwriter."

Obviously I can't trust Google. I said that Sting is considered one of the worst songwriters for a reason, because of what some websties might be saying about his songwriting. I admit that I can't agree to that since I have heard little of his material.

My regular consensus would be that it just doesn't work for me.

I actually have no idea if have to agree with some websites saying if Sting is one of many of the worst songwriters, hence why I said I don't really know if it counts the lyrics to "Every Breath You Take." The lyrics on that song is not all bad while I find it odd how Google Search suggestions put Sting behind "worst songwriter."

Obviously I can't trust Google. I said that Sting is considered one of the worst songwriters for a reason, because of what some websties might be saying about his songwriting. I admit that I can't agree to that since I have heard little of his material.

I'm sorry but this sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

You should actually listen to some of his stuff before making any sort of comment like "Sting is one of the worst songwriters of all time". :P

I'm sorry but this sounds like you are contradicting yourself.

You should actually listen to some of his stuff before making any sort of comment like "Sting is one of the worst songwriters of all time". :P

Right you are, and that I should've known mixing up fact and opinion was going to mess it up a bit.

Track 11. Review 11. Good Morning / Kanye West
Original Sample: Someone Saved my Life Tonight / Elton John

Rating: 4.6 out of 5

AND

Good Morning / Chamillionaire
Original Sample: Free Fallin' / Tom Petty

Rating: 3.6 out of 5

Good morning world and all who inhabit it. Here it is, my first double review. Considering that they both use different samples under the same name, I can't help but cover these two songs in one review. It looks like I'm going to discuss Kanye West again while I have Chamillionaire for the road as well. So once again, prepare your Nuggets.

Before the new songs: In 1975, Elton John released one of his singles "Someone Saved my Life Tonight," which is based on his struggles in the industry. The song hit the Top 10 in the U.S and the Top 25 in his home country. Now changing the subject to Chamillionaire's single, flash forward to 1990 where Tom Petty's Free Fallin' became a Top 10 hit that year, after being released a year before. During 2007 and 2009 respectively, the two songs became subject to being sampled up by Kanye West and Chamillionaire.

The review [Kanye West]: I'm going to start this showdown with good old Kanye West's song off his Graduation album, along with the music video featuring Dropout Bear.

Well, the title from the original sample looks like something that could have made sense for "Through the Wire." While "Good Morning" is obviously not Chaka Khan's responsibility, my first impressions on this song would be from Mr. West....

Wake up, Mr. West, Mr. West, Mr. Fresh
Mr. by-his-self-he-so-impressed
I mean, damn, did you even see the test
You got D's motherfucker, D's, Rosie Perez

This sounds outstanding already, but he's Kanye West, of course I'm going to feel impressed. Now about that Rosie Perez reference though, I wasn't entirely sure what he means by her hearing that, but the "Rosie Perez mad at Kanye" scoops seems to make me question the line's purpose. Recent stories say she's flattered by the little reference, so no damage done. To cut to the chase, her breasts are reference here. Alright then....

I guess this is my dissertation
Homie, this shit is basic
Welcome to graduation

And I believe that would sum some things up for us about graduation. What else is there?

On this day we become legendary
Everything we dreamed of
I'm like a fly Malcolm X

Like I said, good old Kanye West right here, with tight lyrics, even for some of the takes in pop culture, and for Kanye's personality.

But you graduate when you make it up outta the streets
From the moments of pain
Look how far we done came
Haters saying ya changed
Now ya doing ya thing

Do I have any more material to discuss on this song? I'm probably almost done here while the song itself is 3 minutes long. This is just cool....astounding....a good nice work and improvement from my past review of his song "Through the Wire!" He's some Kanye, alright. And before I wrap this up till' moving on to Chamillionaire's song...

Look at the valedictorian scared of the future
While I hop in the Delorean
Scared-to-face-the-world complacent career student

- Just peep this, preach us, teach us, Jesus

Okay, look up now, they done stole your streetness

Goes to show how Kanye's rhyming skills gives this song my approval, along with how he manages and used some of those pop/historical culture nods.

The review [Chamillionaire]: Of course, there was more to him than "Ridin'" and his featured credit for "Get Up," as he barely sealed another Top 40 hit with his "Good Morning." So now what could this song be built around?

I want to show all of my haters love
This song's for you
If you had it like me and I was in your shoes
I'd probably hate on me too

It's like that song, you know....where he shows his haters love and how he would hate on himself....I've heard "Ridin'", so I'm guessing his personality revolves around the world of haters.

See when you're gettin big cash stacks, all the haters hate that
'Cause they hate to see you be successful
I want to show all of my haters love

Yes, I get it. Your haters are showing hate while you want to give your haters love. Now how about that Good Morning part you're acknowledging in this song?

So I wave to you like "good morning"
Ha-ha-ha-ha-haters, good morning
Ha-ha-ha-ha-haters, good morning

Now I've gotten to one of his other points. Anyways, here's what other parts of the song goes like....

Yeah, today gonna be a good day I'm feelin' like I'm Ice Cube
I'm wakin' up like can't nobody mess up my mood
Knowin' I'm a boss, I'm a do what I choose
If I was you then I would probably hate on me too

So Chamillionaire here is feeling like he's in a good mood and doesn't want for it to be screwed up. Later on, he talks about wishing that he "could be affected by any hate, but he can't, because he got affected by the bank," yeah, something like that.

Yeah, I ain't sayin' it just to brag
I say it so you can be motivated to get the cash

Pretty much, Chamillionaire here is kinda/sorta bragging about his fame and money in this song, I haven't forgotten to mention his spouts on the haters either.

Success is a woman, I always had dreams of sexin'
If wantin' her is a crime, just take me in for possession
Even in a recession, I'm leavin' a good impression
Reflection on the rims, so they can see they expressions

He does have his clever moments for the lyrics, like the lines above.

If you know that you a hater, this dedicated to you
You hatin my last move, I'm way on my next move
See they hate to see you be successful

And considering that I'm not a "hater," I don't know how a song for his haters to show some love would work for me. This song's alright. As for the original sample, let's talk about this now....

Was the glass slipper a perfect fit?: First off, I'll discuss Chamillionaire's "Good Morning" and Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'." What does the original piece have to do with the sampled up song? I understand that not all samples have do with the original resource though. Same could be said between Kanye West and Elton John, but the way I can describe Chamillionaire's sample is that it fits within the bits of his good-spirited tone and love themes from Tom Petty in his "Good Morning" song, but....I'm honestly not feelin' the purpose of such a resource....just a little bit. Now, I do think it does fit well, but not significantly as....

Kanye West's "Good Morning," does the original sample by Elton John live up for the rapper's song? The falsetto part would be the touch he uses from the sample to his "Good Morning," from what I can gather up. While he doesn't use too little and doesn't use too much, I think he uses the sample very well to add up to the song's arrangements, so he wins this round.

Old vs. new. Which is better?: Between Kanye West and Elton John's song, I think I ought to say that I liked "Good Morning" better while between Chamillionaire and Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'" wins in my book.

Final thoughts: Kanye West provides strong personality and lyrics for his "Good Morning" title, simple as that. On the other hand, Chamillionaire doesn't do more powerful than Kanye West with his "Good Morning" title, but I still think it's alright and lives up to some of the song's flaws. So yeah, Kanye West would be the winner here.

Next time....another double review! Quite an unpredictable sight, but I'll be doing another one eventually.

As a little note, I'm returning to this in September. After I get two more reviews out of the way, I'm honestly thinking of wrapping this up...but not quite yet. Some other things I want to do is another year-end Billboard retrospective and a speed round on a bunch of other songs I was planning on reviewing. They're not going to be full reviews though. Lastly, there's also few of the requests I've gotten from you guys, so that too.

Track 12. Review 12. I'm Ready / AJR
Original Sample: Spongebob Squarepants (Soundbite)

Rating: 4.1 out of 5

Spoiler

Screw the second double review thing. Looks like I'm back to reviewing sampled up music. One more of these and I'm just going to take some kind of break. Certainly, I won't be doing full reviews after this review and the next. Today, I'm going to review a song that failed to achieve Top 40 success....and I should've not been surprised because, what are the odds of a song using Spongebob's catchphrase becoming a hit?

Before the new song: I think you guys all know about Spongebob's history to understand what was being sampled in AJR's song. AJR's "I'm Ready" charted no higher than #65 while it was a Top 10 hit in Australia. In terms of 2014 so far, I'm not impressed. I can think of a few years where sampling was less redundant, but still. 2014 looks to the point as if one of the biggest way to gain a hit in the rap industry is to slap in audio of goons shouting "HEY!" "Na Na," "Paranoid," "2 On," "Fancy," "Show Me," even "No Mediocre," all of those. And wouldn't you know it, all except "Fancy" were produced by one person named DJ Mustard. (DJ Mustard? What kind of name is that?) Sorry, off-topic right here. The main basis is a pop example that uses sampling, and "I'm Ready" is what I'm going to review.

The review: The music video entails AJR's life of fame as we see them gaining 12 billion hits for their hit song "I'm Ready." Apparently though, it was part of their imagination and they're certain that their song is not going to go viral. I guess I can say that I like the irony they add for the video. Now, analyzing the song, is it good?

You're feeling good, you're feeling right
Across the floor, and I'm already losing my mind
Baby girl, looking fine

I'm feeling good, I'm feeling right, and I'm also feeling...funky. Of course it's good. I admit to having this song on my iTunes library.

Tell me that you're ready and you're feeling the vibe
Someday I'll be so damn sublime,
We'll arrive behind a hash-tag sign

As far as I can see the song go, they're not technically rhyming, and they're also technically not sublime...or Sublime, literally. "We'll arrive behind a hash-tag sign"? That phase in society still needs to come to a stop.

I love the way how the song transitions. I like hearing different styles like this. You got funky rhythms, then you got a slow piano verse, then you have yourself clapping to the beat of the next verse, then of course....the Spongebob sample drops the bass with a DUBSTEP REMIX!!! Yeah.

My lady
I know what you're thinking
When the bass starts ringing
Can you tell me when you're stoked to start?

Good luck trying to get that out of your head.

I won't forget you, but I may
Forget your name

And hopefully you guys won't be forgotten and become a bigger thing eventually. Really though, why couldn't these guys become a thing like MKTO and Rixton? Oh, and since I don't have any more material to discuss, let's see how it meets my approval.

Was the glass slipper a perfect fit?: Spongebob's catch-phrase in a pop song? Really? I'll roll with it. The sample itself adds up to the fun-going mood, so I can probably see the purpose of it.

Old vs. new. Which is better?: It's an audio sample. How would I decide between something so little and a 3 minute song build around that "I'm Ready!" quote? No debate needed here.

Final thoughts: AJR's "I'm Ready" fills in the void of the pop scene of 2014 (at least for a while) and gives us something as exciting as "Ain't it Fun," "Boom Clap," "Don't," etc. Like I said before, I wish it was a bigger hit while it lives up for its fun undertones, interesting musical style, a sublime lyrical style, and yet a questionable sample.

For my next review, I will cover up another song that I dislike for once. That song in particular samples Steve Winwood.