• Advertisement

I think I missed this fad

terminoob

28 minutes ago, Butch Griffin said:

I have been collecting Wally West's iconic runs as Flash (thus far I read all four Mark Waid book, I'll get to rest of his run when it's all collected and later all of Morrison/Johns) and I have to agree that he has been so awesome and I'm so sad that they haven't treated him right these days, especially judging from rumors I keep hearing about Heroes in Crisis book. They should have give him a new run (there were two Captain America and Spider-Man runs at the same time once) since two Flashes can exist. He deserves so much better? ?

Yeah, I don't know what DC is thinking. They may have needed a way to market the Titans book and being able to say "if you wanna read Wally West, this is the ONLY PLACE YOU'LL EVER BE ABLE TO DO IT ANYMORE" was probably too good to pass up. It just seems like such a waste. Him coming back in Rebirth was so buckwild and then they just immediately dropped the ball with him. Maybe he'll get a new title spinning out of Heroes in Crisis or something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katniss said:

Favorite movies/TV shows of the year so far?

OOF. Okay, whole year? Lemme think back.

TV: I think New Girl went out with a decent enough final season. It was one of my favorite shows since it premiered and I'd been following along the whole time, and while it felt rushed and awkward at times it was still about as good as I had hoped. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was wild. I liked the first half of the new iZombie season, but I haven't caught the whole thing so I might hate the rest of it. I think Joel McHale came back swinging with The Joel McHale Show Starring Joel McHale and I'm glad to have him back on some sort of screen. I still gotta catch the new season of Atlanta, but I'm sure that's great as well. I don't think there was much else. Survivor was a letdown post-merge until the last, like, five minutes of final tribal. I started following The Bachelorette this year and that's been a bit wonky at times as well, aside from Jordan.

Movies: Sorry to Bother You is the movie of the summer. If you haven't checked it out yet you need to find it and go see it, because it's fucking nuts. Eighth Grade was predictably phenomenal and sad. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, despite some writing inconsistencies that don't mesh with the first one, was a great time (and I think much better than the first). The Incredibles 2 had some nice set pieces and there was that one scene with Elastigirl running over rooftops and through alleyways at nighttime while the Screenslaver was talking and there was no music playing and it floored me. It was so amazing. Unfortunately I'm not in love with the movie on the whole, but that short at the beginning was wild. The Death of Stalin was fucking spectacular. Game Night was really solid. There's still a bunch I gotta watch, though - still haven't seen Hereditary, A Quiet Place, He Won't Get Far on Foot, Annihilation, First Reform, Blindspotting, Thoroughbreds, or Revenge.

First half of the year I didn't really go to the movies all that often since I lived at home and I mostly just watched old stuff on Netflix/Amazon/Google Play and I only just recently started going to the movies again.

2 hours ago, Butch Griffin said:

Any else Thor run you love besides Jason Aaron's?

Simonson's is a masterpiece and the gold standard for basically any kind of sprawling epic. JMS had a good one too, though I admittedly haven't read much of it.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:47 PM, Katniss said:

ok hello Bachelorette freak out partner here

theres a lot to unpack but sparknotes version: Luke P is insane???

God, him and Jed are both out of their goddamn minds. I've been ripping my hair out all season long. I think Luke P would've been a really interesting villain if he had gotten sent home in place of Luke S, but going forward from that episode I was just in constant disbelief about everything that was going down and it became so boring to watch Hannah continue to cancel cocktail parties. Canceling one is fine, that makes good TV - but every single episode is just too much. That final four elimination was unbelievable, and I don't understand how someone can be so out of touch with the words coming out of their own mouth.

On the plus side, at least we got JPJ/Mike/Mr. Big Time Chiller out of this season, but still. Both Colton and Hannah's seasons were so emotionally immature. I'm hoping BIP devotes a lot of time to building up these guys that were on Hannah's season that got almost no screentime, because there seemed to be some pretty cool guys in that group that got totally shafted through no fault of their own.

idk if you have heard from comic con but thor 4 (well, thor: love and thunder) is gonna have 

Spoiler

Jane Foster as Thor and Portman is back on the role and Taika is a big fan of Aaron's run. 

it seems your wishes finally came true :funny:

On 7/31/2019 at 11:46 PM, Katniss said:

Dude I’m so excited for BIP. I need more JPJ on my screen?

He's already delivered so much. I say kick all the other guys off and just let JPJ run free for the rest of the season.

18 hours ago, WhoBob said:

idk if you have heard from comic con but thor 4 (well, thor: love and thunder) is gonna have 

Reveal hidden contents

Jane Foster as Thor and Portman is back on the role and Taika is a big fan of Aaron's run. 

it seems your wishes finally came true :funny:

I don't even remember making that wish, but yeah I'm wicked stoked (and hopefully it happens at a decent point in the movie and not just in the third act).

Spoiler

My initial thought is that I hope the overall plot is basically the God Butcher arc, but that Ultimate Mjolnir comes over at the end of Dr. Strange and Jane picks that up and becomes War Thor and the central character conflict is between Thor and Jane, with Gorr kinda egging them on the whole time to show his disciples that Gods are petty and useless and only care about themselves. I'm sincerely hoping this doesn't mean Beta Ray Bill is off the table, though, because I'm still dying for him to show up in one of these movies.

not exacly "wish" but yeah :funny:

On 7/30/2018 at 9:07 PM, terminoob said:

Portman was very much wasted in the role and deserved a much better treatment, so I would hope that if Marvel approaches her with the idea to come back and do a Jane Foster Thor movie she'd be open to it 

speaking of, I have first two volumes of Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder (so far those are the only ones that were translated in my country and I know Aaron's run is above 80 issues oh boy). I have started reading it and it's going good so far, excited for more to come?

1 hour ago, WhoBob said:

not exacly "wish" but yeah :funny:

speaking of, I have first two volumes of Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder (so far those are the only ones that were translated in my country and I know Aaron's run is above 80 issues oh boy). I have started reading it and it's going good so far, excited for more to come?

Yeah, it's a daunting undertaking. The whole run is a bit uneven at times (specifically the Jane Foster stuff), but more often than not it's really really good. Be on the lookout for The Unworthy Thor mini-series as well, and skim the synopses of Original Sin and Secret Wars. It's probably not super necessary for the overall story, but it gives a bit of context for what goes on.

Oh yeah, I have read Secret Wars, as well as Hickman's New Avengers/Avengers/Infinity that lead up that event. Brilliant storyline.

Oh and yes, I shall read everything necessary for Aaron's Thor saga. 

What did you think of War of the Realms that this run lead up to?

8 hours ago, Katniss said:

Have you watched The Boys on amazon prime? 

I haven't. I remember seeing ads for it plastered around New York Comic Con last year and it looked like it was taking itself so serious that it just ended up being really goofy. I've been hearing decent things about it though, so I feel like I should probably give it a shot eventually.

20 minutes ago, WhoBob said:

Oh yeah, I have read Secret Wars, as well as Hickman's New Avengers/Avengers/Infinity that lead up that event. Brilliant storyline.

Oh and yes, I shall read everything necessary for Aaron's Thor saga. 

What did you think of War of the Realms that this run lead up to?

Oh man, I stopped reading Thor once the newest relaunch happened so I have no idea what Aaron's been up to with that. I really fell off the Marvel train hard once Gwenpool ended. I think the only thing I keep up with now is X-Men Grand Design, and even then I only read the big volume editions as opposed to buying the single issues.

Aaron's saga is officially ending with King Thor miniseries (4 issues). Before that, newest Thor launch had 16 issues (12-14 are WOTR tie-ins, 15-16 aftermath) and War of the Realms is 6 issues + omega issue. Gwenpool is having a miniseries by Leah Williams called Gwenpool Strikes Back.

so what comics have you been reading/following lately?

8 hours ago, WhoBob said:

Aaron's saga is officially ending with King Thor miniseries (4 issues). Before that, newest Thor launch had 16 issues (12-14 are WOTR tie-ins, 15-16 aftermath) and War of the Realms is 6 issues + omega issue. Gwenpool is having a miniseries by Leah Williams called Gwenpool Strikes Back.

so what comics have you been reading/following lately?

Oh damn, if it's ending that soon then I'll definitely get on a binge later this year and just rip through it. Also had no idea about the Gwenpool mini; will definitely be on the lookout for that.

I haven't been reading too many recently; DC's got me on this book and it's been a total killer so I haven't had too much downtime to just sit and enjoy comics. I kept up with Bully Wars pretty consistently, and I did a bit of a cursory glance at Farmhand, Murder Falcon, and Middlewest, but I haven't gone back to them in a bit. I've been pretty good about snagging Heavy Metal when those come out because there's a whole mess of cool shit in there. I don't do too many monthlies from DC or Marvel nowadays, just because they're always such a huge commitment. Graphic novel-wise I just read this new-ish book called The Wrath of Fantomas, and before that I read this insane kinda avant-garde piece called Vanishing Act. I'm also slowly making my way through the Hellboy library, but I haven't dug back into that in a while. Once my book finishes up in the coming few days I wanna do a deep dive into things I've missed that've come out in the past few months/past year and try to catch myself up because I'm absolutely starved for content and material that isn't this book.

Just now, Katniss said:

ok why is literally every guy in Paradise obsessed with Hannah G?? I mean she’s pretty and seems sweet, but if you’re going on that show you gotta be more open-minded, dudes.

I don't think a majority of those guys are there to end up in a serious relationship at the end and they're just looking to mess around and have fun, and I think their perception of Hannah G is that she's maybe not looking for anything serious (and I also don't think these guys are that great at dating anyway and may just be following the groupthink of "Hannah G is the new hotness, I need to hookup with her"). It's not great. I think Dylan is legitimately super into her, but I can't imagine these other connections are genuine.

I'm baffled that these dudes are falling all over themselves for Hannah G because Tayshia is literally right there and as far as I'm concerned she's the biggest catch on that beach.

12 hours ago, WhoBob said:

Oooo, good luck on your book?

Thanks! It's been a rough year with this thing but I'll finally be getting it off my back in the next handful of days. If you're looking to dive deep into Golden Age Wonder Woman, give it a peek when it hits shelves.

9 hours ago, Katniss said:

I demand to know who made my baby JPJ cry so I can beat them up?

edit: Tayshia is definitely a catch. I’m liking Katie too!

First he pukes his brains out and now he's gonna cry his eyes out. Dude's getting a raw deal. Fingers crossed he comes out of this with the DWTS gig.

I feel like Katie is really coming alive in Paradise. I don't remember much of her from Colton's season, but she's been such a highlight these first two episodes - not to mention her intro package was incredible.