• Advertisement

I think I missed this fad

terminoob

7 hours ago, Dr. WhoBob is out of creative name ideas and he didn't wanna go back to his old name, so there you go said:

I have to agree with Rogue One. I don't get the praise. I enjoyed it as a fun action movie but most of the characters didn't do much for me and pacing felt a bit slow in first act.

"Characters didn't do much" is such an understatement for me. Everything about that movie felt like it was just manufactured in a Star Wars factory.

7 hours ago, Katniss said:

Harry Potter? :funny: 

Very much enjoy the movies. I have to find the time to read all the books because I never did when I was a kid - my third grade teacher said I wasn't smart enough for them.

22 hours ago, Dr. WhoBob is out of creative name ideas and he didn't wanna go back to his old name, so there you go said:

why would your teacher say you aren't smart for them? :Laugh:

That's just the kind of teacher she was.

15 hours ago, Katniss said:

How did you feel about Francesca vs Rachel as a love interest for Dev?

I missed Rachel at the beginning of season 2, but very quickly warmed up to Francesca (probably due to the lack of Rachel - I think if she had been present throughout the season it'd be tough). She's great.

48 minutes ago, Dr. WhoBob is out of creative name ideas and he didn't wanna go back to his old name, so there you go said:

Have you seen series 10 of Doctor Who so far?

Nope. Still one of the things I need to catch up on. I've been hearing nothing but praise, though.

I feel like this is the first Moffat series since series 5 that majority of people loved it. series 9 seems to have it's dislikers.

well first 4 episodes were pretty solid for me, nothing too ambitious but they were fun. Oxygen and Extremis were, however, brilliant.

I hope you enjoy the new series too?

1 hour ago, Dr. WhoBob is out of creative name ideas and he didn't wanna go back to his old name, so there you go said:

I feel like this is the first Moffat series since series 5 that majority of people loved it. series 9 seems to have it's dislikers.

well first 4 episodes were pretty solid for me, nothing too ambitious but they were fun. Oxygen and Extremis were, however, brilliant.

I hope you enjoy the new series too?

I'm sure I will. I think I'm in the minority of people that prefer Moffat to RTD, so in general I've loved everything about what Moffat's done thus far. I'm sure this season will be no different.

• Like 1

tbh i have to agree. he has had missteps just like RTD that people tend to forget his flaws as a showrunner but for the most part, he hasn't disappointed me with his episodes after he took over. I feel like people are way too harsh on him. Yeah s6-8 could have been better, tho unpopular opnion i think s8 was mostly great but I love me series 5 and 9 and i have been digging s10. I'll miss him for sure.

2 hours ago, Dr. WhoBob is out of creative name ideas and he didn't wanna go back to his old name, so there you go said:

tbh i have to agree. he has had missteps just like RTD that people tend to forget his flaws as a showrunner but for the most part, he hasn't disappointed me with his episodes after he took over. I feel like people are way too harsh on him. Yeah s6-8 could have been better, tho unpopular opnion i think s8 was mostly great but I love me series 5 and 9 and i have been digging s10. I'll miss him for sure.

Is that unpopular? I felt like on the whole people enjoyed series 8. That was actually my least favorite thus far - I thought there was a lot of weird missteps along the way and I never really get the urge watch anything from it again (even though I enjoyed it the first time through and the overarcing plot is pretty good). 6 and 7 get a lot of flak, but if you binge series 6 it's so good. A lot of the pacing issues go away because you aren't waiting week-to-week for new episodes, and the "filler" episodes don't seem so awful. I think 7 is just all-around good fun - I find myself really enjoying 7a, much more than I remember as it aired. A Town Called Mercy and Power of Three in particular are just really fun. I feel like a big problem with a lot of Moffat is that people speculated on the plots so much and they came to have so many preconceived notions and ideas of what was going to happen (I remember a big theory with 7a was that it was being told backwards from the Doctor's perspective, and the flickering lights that happen throughout that half are indicating a dark turn's about to happen), and then those things didn't happen or they took a long time to be revealed (the Silence blowing up the TARDIS in series 5 wasn't revealed until 11 regenerates). If you rewatch things with a fresh mind and let go of those ridiculous ideas then a lot of Moffat's "eh" episodes become so much better.

But yeah, people are way too harsh on him. Two of my coworkers watched Doctor Who as well and whenever we talked about it they'd both go on about how much they hate Moffat and how RTD is so much better and it was just odd. Like they didn't even want to give Moffat a chance. One of them would just bash him for using unoriginal ideas and she thought that nothing he did was his own and his best stuff was just lifted everything from other shit. Which, like, no, but whatever.

• Like 1

Francesca was sweet and charming and she has good chemistry with Dev but I do wish she was developed more as a character. I still prefer Rachel tbh?

Edited by Katniss

7 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Francesca was sweet and charming and she has good chemistry but I do wish she was developed more as a character. I still prefer Rachel tbh?

That's fair. I feel like the relationship as a whole suffered from a lack of development because this season felt like it was about a lot more than just Dev's relationship and there was a lot more happening to him and everyone around him, so it seemed like Aziz decided to just play around with a bunch of things and then just kinda shoved all of Francesca's development into episode 9 (which is why it's an hour, I'd imagine). I mostly just kinda have a foreign girl bias (my girlfriend's French) and I thought she was just way too cute. I'm hoping she gets more to do next season, whether they explore her as an actual love interest or not.

Honestly, though, I really loved Sara from the first episode of season 2. I was super bummed when she didn't pop back up (I was so hoping she'd find him on that dating app). I was thinking she'd be the love interest of the season.

On 5/27/2017 at 8:50 AM, The Who said:

did you read any of DC Rebirth comics? I still haven't gotten those on my country but I've heard they are so good?

No clue, really. I read a few issues of the beginning of Green Arrow, a couple Supergirl, and a Detective Comics issue, but it got to the point that there was so much coming out at such a frequent rate that I just couldn't keep up and I dropped everything. If nothing else at least the art seems to be top notch across the board.

Also admittedly not too into superhero comics aside from a passing interest if there's a sale or something.

17 hours ago, Lettuce said:

Got some Netflix recommendations for you?

Hit me.

10 hours ago, The Who said:

favorite NuWho series?

This is difficult. I think 5. I really loved RTD's stuff the first time I watched through it, but as I got deeper and deeper into Moffat's stuff I started to kind of retroactively dislike RTD's run. When I was watching for the first time I really loved Rose and 10 and I thought Donna was awesome and everything about 1-4 was pretty much perfect for me and wrapping it up in the series 4 finale by bringing everyone back was just so friggin' cool, but I think it's because I typically watch a lot of sitcoms and other shows that typically don't pay much attention to continuity and it was mind-blowing to 16-year old me when characters and plots kept coming back and weren't being forgotten.

Now, though, I don't look back too fondly on it, and I only ever have a desire to rewatch series 3 because Martha is one of my Top 3 favorite companions.

Moffat's run with 11 is more or less how I would structure a TV show, so I really appreciated that someone was doing something similar to how I would approach it (much better than I could do, obviously). I like when there's an overarcing story with all these bits woven throughout, but as I mentioned before (I think) I only appreciated series 6 and 7 on a rewatch so I don't really want to count that towards what my favorite series could be. 8, like a series done by RTD, I loved as it was happening, but now I never feel a need to go back and rewatch it because it didn't really stick with me (aside from, like, Time Heist, I guess). 9 was really amazing and the last three or so episodes were really crazy, but Clara coming back and being immortal kinda soured me on it a bit. I don't mind the decision too much, but I was just kinda hoping she'd stay dead, or, like, come back, and then force the Doctor to put her back in the time stream or something.

So yeah. 5 to me was perfect throughout, Amy wasn't super overbearing like she is in 6, the perfect amount of River Song, Eleventh Hour is such an incredible introduction to 11, and Moffat stuck the landing with the Pandorica.

8 hours ago, Wendy the Witch said:

Are you planning to see Captain Underpants?

I don't know if I'll end up seeing it (because my girlfriend is very against it and she wants to see Wonder Woman instead, so if I do it'll be by myself) but I do want to watch it at some point. There's a handful of movies coming out this summer that pique my interest, but at the same time I'm not super hyped by any of them to the point where I feel like I HAVE to see it, but Captain Underpants is about as close to that kind of movie as anything else coming out. I think that and Baby Driver might be the only two that I have strong feelings for. 

• Like 1