• Advertisement

Coral Drive

Wumbo

Episode 28: The Painful Truth

Morticia and her sister arrive at the sister's house. They get out of the car and walk in. Morticia notices that it's a bit run-down, but doesn't say anything.

They walk in, and Morticia almost gags at the look of the place. Cobwebs, spiders, and rats everywhere. "This... is where you live?" Morticia asks, trying to sound as enthusiastic as she possibly can.

"Yeah," her sister replies regretfully. "Not much to look at, is it?"

"Oh no, that's not what I-"

"Save it, Morty," the sister replies. "I know that you think this place is a dump. There's no mistaking that hidden cringe. So..." she says, shuffling her feet. "Did you still wanna stay here?"

"First of all, don't call me Morty," Morticia replies. "And second of all, of course I still want to stay!"

She looks out the window. "It's not like I have anywhere else to go..." she proclaims.

---

Robert is driving home with the groceries, but stops by Beth's house first to drop off her things. He brings up the contents of the "cravings list" she gave him.

He knocks on the door, and Beth answers it. "Oh thank you, Robert! How much was all this?"

"Oh, don't worry about it," Robert insists.

"No, I must pay you," Beth replies. "What was it, 5 dollars?"

"Yes, okay," Robert replies. He takes the money Beth gives him.

"Once again, I can't thank you enough," Beth tells him. "You're a lifesaver!"

"Don't mention it... bye now." Robert waves as he walks back to his car.

Beth shuts the door when suddenly, the phone rings. She goes to pick it up. "Hello?" she says.

"My house. NOW," Allison replies firmly.

"Your house?" Beth echoes. "O-kay, I'll be right there."

She struggles to finds something to wear that will draw attention away from her baby bump. She finally finds an overcoat, and decides to put it on.

She waddles over to Allison's house, feeling ridiculous, and praying that there aren't too many people on the streets.

A fish comes by, walking his snail. "Hey!" he calls out to Beth. "You planning a trip to the Arctic Ocean?" He cackles as he walks away.

Beth grunts in frustration as she walks up Allison's steps and rings the doorbell.

Allison opens the door, looking furious. "In," she asserts.

Beth steps in, wary of Allison's mood. "So... what's going on?" she asks casually.

"Oh, don't 'what's going on' me," Allison replies. "Why couldn't you tell me that you were pregnant?"

Beth is stunned. "How did you know?"

"I have ears, B-E-T-H F-L-O-U-N-D-E-R," Allison replies, mocking Robert. "It slipped out at the grocery store."

Beth is furious. "I can't believe he told!" she fumes.

"I can't believe YOU didn't tell ME!" Allison fumes back. "After all we've been through?!"

"Look, I'm sorry..." Beth tries to reason.

Allison suddenly gasps. "No! It can't be!" she exclaims.

"What?" Beth replies. She then realizes what Allison is thinking. "Oh, no..."

"You and Robert..." Allison begins. She then rushes to a phone.

"No! Stop!" Beth runs after her. Allison begins to dial Erica's number, but Beth grabs the phone from her and hangs it up. "What do you think you're doing?!" she demands.

"The truth must be told!" Allison proclaims. She grabs the phone and dials again.

"No!" Beth replies, grabbing the phone again and hanging it up. "That is not what happened!"

Allison crosses her arms. "Do you mind telling me what did happen then?"

The scene fades to later in the story, where Allison and Beth are sitting on Allison's couch, and Beth is telling her what happened. "I didn't want anyone to know," Beth says. "I'm so ashamed..." She burts into tears.

Allison hugs her and says, "You should have been honest with it... people are gonna find out sooner or later!"

Beth jerks up. "No! I can't have that happen!" she asserts.

"Beth..." Allison begins.

"No! I'll move away before anyone else finds out about this!" Beth sobs.

"Beth, you're being ridiculous!" Allison insists.

"Am I?" Beth replies. "Have YOU ever been through what I'M going through?"

"No, but you can't just move! It won't be good for you or the baby!" Allison replies.

"I don't want to care about what's 'good for the baby'! I didn't even want it in the first place!" Beth shoots back.

"Look, Beth," Allison reasons with her. "You have got to stay here. We can help you!"

Beth sniffles. "O-kay," she says.

Allison smiles. "Now, I think you'd better go home and rest," she says.

"Good idea," Beth replies. She heads home.

---

Morticia is sitting down at her sister's kitchen table, anxiously awaiting dinner. Morticia's sister is cooking something in a huge black crockpot.

She dips a spoon into her creation and tastes it "Hmmm... needs more salt," she concludes, sprinkling some into the pot and stirring it with the spoon she used to taste test it.

Upon seeing this, Morticia becomes a little queasy. "Are you sure you... know what you're doing?" she says as gently as possible, so as not to hurt her sister's feelings.

"Morty, please!" her sister admonishes. "I get all my recipes from this cookbook here." she indicates the cookbook resting on the shelf, its pages stained with a brown sauce.

"Yes, well..." Morticia replies. "I don't really think I'm that hungry right now."

Morticia's sister points the spoon at her defiantly, getting droplets of... stew on her dress. "Are you saying you don't like my cooking?!" she demands.

"Well, you are using your taste-testing spoon to stir the pot..." Morticia begins.

"That's how I've always done it!" her sister defends.

"Yes, but it's different when you're serving it to someone else, too!" Morticia retorts.

"Well, fine!" the sister says. "Don't eat what I've made!"

Morticia is feeling a little guilty now, as she wanders to the cupboard to pull out a loaf of bread. "Look, I'm sorry..." she says. "I'm just... not used to your lifestyle, I guess."

Morticia's sister sighs. "No, I'm sorry," she replies. "I'm just not used to having a guest over, and I guess I overreacted. It really is disgusting, what I do. I don't blame you for not wanting to eat what I'm making." She starts crying into her... stew.

Morticia puts a hand on her shoulder. "Tell you what. I'll make dinner tonight."

"No, no, you're the guest..." the sister says. "I'll just... start over."

"Please, I insist," Morticia replies.

"Well, okay," her sister relents.

Morticia flips through the cookbook, looking for a recipe she could make.

---

A prison guard walks up to Scott and Ed's cell. "Scott... you have some visitors..."

Scott vsits up and goes to the door of the cell. A group of angry people from Coral Drive walk up. "Scott... what the hell is wrong with you?" Erica asks.

"Uhh... what?" Scott asks, confused.

"You know damn well what," Allison fumes. "We all know why you're here, Scott."

"But... how..." Scott is flabbergasted. He then turns to Ed in a fit of rage. "YOU!" he yells, lunging for his throat.

"Hey. HEY!" Police officers burst into the cell, pulling Scott off Ed. "I'll never forgive you for this. NEVER!" Scott insists.

"I didn't do it!" Ed protests.

The police officers take scott away to another cell. "Fuck you, Scott!" Erica yells after him.

---

Scott is outside with the other prisoners, breaking rocks with a pickax. Many thoughts are echoing through his head: Jane running away from him.

"We all know why you're here."

"Fuck you, Scott!"

The last sentence echoes in Scott's head. He cringes. He can't take it anymore. He raises his pickax and looks up at the sky. "I'm sorry, Jane," he whispers. He then plunges the pickax into his heart.

("Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem ft. Rihanna begins to play -

)

"Holy crap!" The police officer who was watching him runs up to him. "Medic! I need a medic!"

Ed notices Scott lying on the ground, near death. "SCOTT!" he yells. He runs over to him.

But it's too late.

---

Scott's funeral takes place the next day. Nearly everybody from Coral Drive is there.

"Scott Wilson was a decent man," the narrator says. "He always paid his bills..."

Flashback to a happier time, when Scott returns home from work and kisses Jane on the cheek.

"He was great with children..." We see Scott as a teacher, praising one of his kids for getting an answer right.

"And he always stopped for a moment to enjoy life..." Scott is taking a walk with Jane, a big smile on his face.

"But unfortunately, none of us are perfect..." We see the people at Scott's funeral, Ed sitting between two guards, Beth sitting a few rows back from him, and the rest of Coral Drive scattered across the pews.

"None of us..." We see Morticia helping her sister to make lunch.

"We all have our faults..." Allison is helping Jimmy ride his tricycle, but Jimmy falls over. Beth watches them, as a tear rolls down her face.

"All of us..." Erica is sitting, staring out the window.

Fade to black. "Blurry" by Puddle of Mudd plays over the credits:

---

Meh, no one got it right. Better luck next time.

Episode 29: The Pursuit of Happiness

Erica is eating a bowl of cereal. She then suddenly puts the spoon down. "It's my fault," she blurts.

Robert is picking a cereal for himself. He turns his head. "What are you talking about, Eri?" he asks.

"Scott. He killed himself because of what I said to him," Erica states.

"Erica, that's not true..." Robert replies. "Scott had a lot on his mind, and... well... it was all too much for him."

"I know, but I just feel like the trigger. The straw that broke the camel's back, you know what I mean?"

"Well, what do you want to do about it?" Robert asks.

"I don't know..." Erica says. "Maybe to ease my guilt, I could make up for wronging someone else." She ponders. "But who?"

Robert eats his cereal. "Well, you could make up for yelling at me for not putting out the garbage that one morning..." he begins.

"No, that's not enough," Erica dismisses. She thinks harder.

"How about when you laughed at Allison's new dress?" Robert suggests.

"That dress was made of leather! I had a right to laugh at her!" Erica argues.

Robert gets up. "Well, you can argue the semantics of who you wronged... or you can start doing good deeds." He walks away.

Erica thinks about what Robert had just said. She runs after him and grabs his shirt collar. "How about I start doing good deeds right now?" she says sexily.

Robert smiles lustfully. "I thought you'd never ask." They go up to the bedroom.

---

Beth is imagining life with a child. She imagines the childhood, teenage, and even adult years of her baby. She shakes her head. "I gotta snap out of this," she says. "Gotta focus on the present..."

She eats the pickles that Robert bought her. She's nearly finished the whole jar.

She starts talking to her baby. "Oh, what am I going to do with you?" she asks. "I've never had kids before. I don't know what it's like."

She then gets an idea. "I know. I'll go talk to Allison."

---

"You want advice on raising a kid?" Allison asks.

"Yes!" Beth replies. "And I couldn't think of a better person to ask than you."

Allison is noticeably flattered. "Well... that's very kind of you to say... but I don't know if I have any 'advice' for being a parent."

"What do you mean?" Beth asks.

"Well... there's really no secret formula to it," Allison replies. "Just... love your kid. The rest should come naturally to you."

"What if it doesn't?" Beth grabs Allison's shoulders in worry. "I've never had a kid before."

"I know, Beth..." Allison replies. "But once you do, those motherly instincts kick in."

"You sure?" Beth asks.

"Yes, you'll make a great mother," Allison replies.

"Gosh, thanks Allison!" Beth replies. "That's just what I needed!"

"No problem," Allison replies. "Now, is there anything else that you need?"

"No, I just needed a confidence booster," Beth replies. She skips happily through the doorway. Allison looks on, smiling.

---

Morticia is grocery shopping for her sister. While she does this, she reminisces over her times on Coral Drive. She sighs.

She makes her way to the checkout line with a sad expression on her face. The clerk notices this and asks her what's wrong.

"Oh... just thinking about places that I can never go back to, people I will never see again... memories," Morticia sighs.

"I know what you mean," the clerk sighs. "Ever since my husband and I divorced, I haven't been able to see him or my kids."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," Morticia replies. Suddenly, her own problem seemed unimportant.

"Well, I've gotten used to it," the clerk replies. "You will, too."

Morticia smiles. "You're right. I don't need them. I can get on with my life."

She buys the groceries and heads back to her sister's house.

---

Erica is sitting on her couch, gazing out the window. She wonders if she should do more good deeds to make up for the ways she has wronged people.

"Allison," she says, remembering what Robert said that morning. She puts on her coat and tells Robert, "I'm going out."

"Okay," Robert says.

Erica leaves and sets off for Allison's house. She knocks on her door.

Allison opens it. "Oh, hi Erica," she greets. "What's up?"

"Well... you know that leather dress you wore the other day?" Erica asks, trying to stifle laughter.

"Yes... the one you made fun of me for wearing? What about it?" Allison crosses her arms indignantly.

"Well... I'd like to apologize for doing so," Erica replies.

Allison is a bit surprised by Erica's apology, but accepts it. "Okay, well... I forgive you. Seeya." She begins to shut the door.

Erica stops her. "Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?" she asks.

"Anything you can... what's going on here?" Allison asks.

Erica sighs. "I'm feeling guilty about Scott," she admits. "I thought doing good deeds would-"

"Whoa whoa. Back up," Allison says. "Why were you feeling guilty about Scott?"

"Well... the last words I said to him were 'fuck you, Scott"... and I can't shake the feeling that that's what pushed him to... well, you know." Erica has a forlorn look on her face.

"Erica, Erica, Erica..." Allison admonishes. "What are you talking about? I'm sure Scott didn't kill himself because of you."

"I know, but I can't escape this feeling..." Erica replies.

"Have you tried going to church?" Allison asks.

"Church?" Erica questions.

"Yeah," Allison says. "Confess your sins and whatnot. You never know."

Erica mulls this over. "Well, I'll give it a shot," she finally says.

---

Erica drives her car up to the church. She walks in, unsure of herself. She hasn't been to church in quite some time.

She sits down in the nearest pew. She kneels on the bench and begins to pray. "Dear God..." she begins. "No, too formal. Hey, God... no, too informal. In the name of the... no, too clich?®. Oh, what am I doing?!" she asks herself.

Suddenly, it comes to her. "I'm feeling guilty," she starts off. "There's this man... his name is, er, was Scott Wilson. You see, he committed suicide not too long ago. And the last words I said to him were... well, vulgar. And I can't help thinking that... somehow... I was responsible for his death."

She looks up, but still doesn't feel better. "Well, thanks anyway," she whispers. She leaves.

---

Morticia is cooking dinner, a lot still on her mind. She then puts the spoon down. "No, I can't do this," she proclaims.

"Sure you can Morticia, you're a great cook!" her sister reassures her.

"No... I mean, I can't go on running away from my past," she tells her sister. "I have to go back to Coral Drive."

Her sister looks hurt. "What, you don't like it here?" she asks.

Morticia rolls her eyes. "This is just like you," she says. "Always thinking about yourself."

"Until you came around, I've only had myself to think about!" her sister protests. "Nobody ever comes to visit!"

"Gloria, I understand that you don't want me to leave," Morticia replies. "But it's for the best."

She goes upstairs to pack.

---

Erica is sitting on her couch, wondering what is wrong with her. Can nothing help her with this nagging feeling?

She considers going to a psychiatrist again, but then remembers the problems that came with doing that before.

"Oh!..." She holds her head. "I can't take this!"

She then has an idea. She yells back to Robert that she's going out once again, and drives away in the car.

Robert, meanwhile, is getting concerned about Erica, and these constant trips away from home aren't easing his mind. He decides to follow her secretly in the other car. He locks up the house, but then realizes that he doesn't know which way Erica went. He arbitrarily chooses left, and drives down the street, looking for the other car.

However, Erica has turned right, not left. She is off to the doctor's office.

She makes her way to the doctor's office and waits in the waiting room. After a little wait, it is her turn. She goes in to see the doctor.

"Can I get a prescription for Prozac?" she asks.

The doctor says, "Let's check your medical history first..."

Meanwhile, Robert, after searching and searching, can't find Erica, so he drives back home. "I'm sure she's fine," he keeps telling himself.

The doctor writes Erica a note. "Just bring this to your local pharmacist," he instructs.

Erica, for the first time in a while, smiles. "Thanks, Doc," she says. She exits.

Fade to black, credits.

Episode 30: Oh, Great... Morticia's Back

Robert is noticing that Erica is a lot happier than she normally was. He doesn't want to be suspicious, but he can't understand what's going on. "...Everything okay there, Eri?" he asks warily.

"Of course, Robert! Never been better!" Erica replies cheerfully.

Robert still looks grim. "You... you sure?" he asks.

Erica walks up to him, grinning. "Everything's fine, Robert. Stop worrying." She playfully nudges him.

"Okay..." Robert replies, still unsure.

---

Gloria is driving Morticia to where she requested: Coral Drive. They have not spoken the entire trip.

Morticia finally speaks up. "Gloria, I know you're mad..."

"Mad?! Who's mad?! I'm not mad!" Gloria replies.

"...but I really need to get back to Coral Drive," Morticia continues. "I can't keep running away from my problems."

"Whatever, Morty," Gloria replies, now purposely calling her that. She pulls over to the side of the road. "Here we are."

Morticia grabs her bags and steps out. "Goodbye, Gloria."

"Just shut the door," Gloria snaps.

Morticia shuts the door, and Gloria speeds off. Morticia is now left to return to her home, which has still not been repaired from the fire.

Allison is the first to notice her. "Oh, great..." she says to herself. "Morticia's back."

Erica is the second to notice her, and her happy mood slowly fades away. "Oh, great..." she says to herself. "Morticia's back."

The entire neighbourhood is looking out their windows as Morticia slowly makes her way to her still-destroyed house. She looks at it longingly.

"Well, I guess I'd better buy a vacant house around here," she sighs.

She looks around desperately for someone ot tell her if there's a vacancy. But she doesn't know where to turn.

She sighs again, and decides to just try her next-door neighbour, Fred. She goes up to knock on the door.

Fred opens it. "Listen, nobody likes you on this street! Why don't you leave us alone?!" He slams the door.

"Well, that worked out about as well as I expected," Morticia sighs. "I guess I'm on my own..."

She looks around for houses that look vacant. After awhile, she notices that Preston's house looks rather empty. "Should I? Or shouldn't I?" she asks herself.

Ultimately, she decides that she's in desperate need of a home, and decides to move in.

---

Beth is too busy worrying about her baby to notice Morticia. Was Allison's advice enough? Will she be a good mother?

Suddenly, there is a knock at the door. Beth gets up to answer it. It's a salesman. "Could I interest you in..." Beth slams the door before he can finish.

She then realizes the person she's become. Before, she would listen to the salesman before politely rejecting his offer. Now... she doesn't even know what to think of herself. "What's happened to me?" she asks herself.

She then looks down at her stomach. "It's this baby," she mutters. "I need to..."

She then stops, frozen by her own thoughts. "No... what am I thinking? I can't..."

She looks down at her stomach again, sits down on a chair, and begins to cry.

---

Morticia has settled in to Preston's house, but soon notices the white flags in his backyard. "What's this...?" she inquires. She opens the screen door to take a closer look. She wonders what these white flags are for.

She steps out into the backyard. "Could he have... buried something here?" she wonders. She rushes back inside, frantically looking around for a shovel.

She finds one in the garage and runs back outside, digging where the nearest white flag is. She gasps in horror as she discovers a dead fish underneath the soil.

She looks around at the rest of the white flags. "Does this mean that... I'm living with a bunch of corpses?"

She goes back inside, shuts and locks the screen door, and draws the curtains. "Don't think about it, Morticia... don't think about it..."

---

Beth knocks on Allison's door again.

Allison opens it, now a little peeved. "Honestly Beth, you've got nothing to worry about. You'll be a great parent."

"I've been thinking about getting an abortion," Beth gulps.

Allison gasps in shock. "Come on in, Beth..." she invites. Beth accepts her invitation.

---

"...So, am I a horrible person?" Beth asks.

"Have you aborted your child yet?" Allison asks.

"...No," Beth replies.

"Then you're not a horrible person," Allison replies. "Beth, it's your first kid. You're just overwhelmed. These thoughts will pass..."

"What if they don't?" Beth interrupts. "What if... I go through with it? Then am I a horrible person? Huh?"

"Beth, you're not gonna..."

"STOP IT!" Beth yells.

Allison retreats in shock. "I... I don't know what to tell you, Beth. I-it's your decision. Just know that this is a child's life we're talking about."

As Beth gets up wand walks away, "In Repair" by Our Lady Peace plays: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z-g3ysIJSQ

---

("In Repair" continues to play throughout the following scenes)

We see an aerial shot of Coral Drive. The narrator speaks. "There are many things in life that can change the way we feel..."

Erica is seen purchasing another box of Prozac at the pharmacy. "Sometimes drugs can change our mood..."

Morticia is seen sitting awake at night, looking out at the white flags. "Sometimes new discoveries can change our feelings of security..."

Beth is seen worrying over her baby. "Sometimes a new arrival in the family can cause us to feel confused..."

We go to Ed in his jail cell. "And sometimes, when you've been in the same place for too long... you want to break free."

"I can't take it anymore," Ed mutters. "I'm breaking out."

Fade to black. "In Repair" continues to play over the credits.

---

Sorry if this is a little short, but I really wanted to get a new episode up quickly to get you in the CD mood again.

AT LONG LAST!

Episode 31: Discoveries

Previously on Coral Drive:

"I can't take it anymore," Ed mutters. "I'm breaking out."

---

Ed is sitting in his cell, contemplating on a plan. A plan to break out of this hell hole.

He suddenly snaps his... fin. "I've got it!" he says.

---

While out breaking rocks in the hot sun, Ed looks around for a place to escape. He then sees an area that's not too heavily guarded, but there's still a barbed wire fence. He decides to risk the injuries and attempt escaping anyway.

Before he can do it, two guards jump out and pursue him. "Nice try, buddy," one of them snarls. "Want to stay here longer?"

Ed rolls his eyes. "Yes, I want to stay here longer. That's why i'm escaping," he says sarcastically.

The guards push him to the ground. "Any more lip out of you, and we're reporting this to the boss," the other one growls.

Ed is now intimidated. He shuffles back to where he was before. "A-all right, fellasa. Didn't mean any harm..."

"Hmpf," they both grunt. They return to their positions.

Ed continues to break rocks, thinking, "I have got to get out of here..."

---

Meanwhile, Beth feels trapped in her own way. And she still feels that it's the baby inside of her that's making her feel this way.

She goes to the hospital. "Yes, I'd like to make an appointment..." she says.

"Certainly, ma'am. Name?" the secretary asks.

"Beth Flounder," Beth replies.

The secretary writes her name down. "Have a seat over there, Beth."

Beth sits down nervously, thinking to herself, "Do I really want to go through with this?" Unfortunately, she doesn't have much time to think, as there are not that many people waiting. The doctor calls her in.

Beth walks into the office and sits down. "What seems to be the problem, Beth?" the doctor asks.

Beth points to her stomach, and the doctor instantly grows concerned. "What's the problem? Is it not kicking? Does it feel like it's not developing properly? What-"

Beth cuts him off. "The baby doesn't HAVE a problem, doc! The baby IS the problem!" she says harshly.

The doctor looks stunned. "So... are you thinking of getting an abortion?"

Beth hangs her head and sighs. "Yes, doctor," she says.

"Well... are you sure?" the doctor asks.

Beth jerks her head up and glares at him. "Yes, I'm sure. What, am I not ALLOWED to get an abortion? Why? Because I'm a Christian? Because it's not HOLY? Because I'll go to HELL if I do it?"

The doctor simply says, "Follow me into this room, Beth."

Beth, a little confused by the doctor's behaviour, does so.

The doctor leads her into a dark room with a projection screen. "Watch this," the doctor says. He starets a movie about the after-effects of abortion on women. It shows how they have nightmares, depression, and other horrendous after-effects after the abort their baby.

Beth is traumatized. She runs up to the doctor and begs him to stop the movie. The doctor obliges.

"Thank you, doctor!" Beth says gratefully, rushing home.

The doctor realizes that Beth forgot to pay her bill, but lets it slide. After all, she was under distress.

---

Beth gets back home, with a new attitude about her baby. "No more pity party!" she tells herself. "I'm going to organize a baby shower!"

She stops in her tracks. "Wait... usually, one of your friends organizes a baby shower. And who am I to toot my own horn?"

She decides to wait for one of her friends to throw her a surprise party. "They've probably had plenty of time," she says to herself.

---

Robert is searching through the medicine cabinet for his electric razor. He decides to look near the back, and is astounded at what he finds instead.

He pulls out a container of Prozac, prescribed to Erica!

"So that's it," he says. He puts the drugs back in disgust, forgetting all about his electric razor.

Erica comes back from doing the grocery shopping, and nearly drops the eggs when she sees Robert standing right at the front door, holding her Prozac. "Care to explain this?" he asks.

"No... no!" Erica gasps.

"Yes, unfortunately," Robert says. "Why are you doing this, Eri?"

Erica drops the groceries in frustration. "Because NOTHING ELSE WAS WORKING!" she yells.

Robert is taken aback by her sudden burst of anger. Erica grabs the drugs and stomps upstairs, ready to take another dose.

Robert picks up the groceries and sighs. How can he help his wife?

---

Morticia is having nightmares, and they're all about the graveyard that Preston set up in the backyard. She keeps seeing the spirits of the fish he has killed in her dreams, some too grotesque to describe.

She wakes up with a gasp. She wants to stop having these nightmares, but she doesn't know how to get rid of them.

She then has an idea. Maybe if she confronted her fear, it would stop the nightmares. So she gets out of bed, goes down the stairs, and goes to the backyard, glaring at it. "I'm... not afraid of you," she says.

She feels better after saying it. She steps outside. "Yeah! I'm not afraid of you!"

"I'M NOT AFRAID OF YOU!" she yells.

She then covers her mouth, not wanting to wake up the neighbours. She sashays back inside, and goes back up to bed, feeling confident that she will not have any more nightmares.

---

Beth is having dreams of her own.

She dreams that she is watching her baby boy take his first steps. "That's it... come to mama," she says.

Suddenly, Scott walks up. "He's quite the cutie, isn't he?"

Beth wakes up and gasps. She then realizes, "That's right... Scott is the father." She begins to cry.

---

Erica pops another pill in the bathroom while Robert watches her sadly. "Sometimes, we discover things we'd rather not have discovered," the narrator begins. "Sometimes, it's that our wife has a problem."

Beth is eating cereal and worrying over her unborn baby. "Sometimes, it's that we can't forget things we want to forget."

Ed is sitting in his cell, hands folded. "Sometimes, it's that we'll never be free."

Morticia is sitting at her breakfast table, smiling as she eats cereal. "But sometimes, discoveries can be good. Especially when we discover our strengths." We see the backyard with white flags.

Fade to black, credits.

One week early! :D

Episode 32: Forgiveness

Police are still searching for salesman Richard Schlepp. It's been days since he mysteriously disappeared, and police are certain that Preston killed him... but they don't know where to look... until today.

---

Morticia gets a knock at her door. She opens it. "Hello," she says, smiling politely. "What can I do for..."

"Stand aside, lady," one of the police officers says, pushing her aside. A group of police officers come in, ransacking the area.

Morticia is shocked and confused. "W-what are you-" she begins to say.

The officer that pushed her aside points a finger at her. "Listen up, lady. Are you affiliated with Preston Phillips in any way?"

Morticia glares at him. "No," she says defiantly. "In fact, I'm insulted that-"

"Shut up," the police officer says. "Yes or no?"

Morticia swallows her pride and simply answers, "No."

"That's all we need to know," the police officer says, taking on a calmer demeanour. "All right boys, let's check the backyard."

The police officers grab their shovels and start digging, finding dead body after dead body. The original police officer glares at Morticia again. "Ma'am, did you...?"

He then notices that Morticia is on the floor, having had a heart attack from fright. "Oh my God! Someone call an ambulance, NOW!"

---

Paramedics are rolling Morticia into the back of the ambulance on a stretcher as everyone in the neighbourhood watches. "Everybody was home when that ambulance came for Morticia," the narrator says.

"Most of them had held a grudge against her in the past," she continues. "But as of this moment, all of that is forgotten."

Erica clutches Robert's fin. "Oh, poor Morticia. I hope she'll be okay."

Robert lets go. "Weren't you just a few hours ago talking about what a backstabbing bitch she was, and how you loathed the very day she moved back into the neighbourhood?"

Erica pushes Robert playfully. "Oh, Robert! You're living in the past! Quit living in the past!"

"Well, this is all hypocritical if you ask me," Robert scoffs. He turns to the crowd behind him. "Friends!" he yells. "Look at yourselves! Don't you see what you're doing? This woman lied to every one of us!"

The crowd goes silent. Robert nods his head. "Yeah," he says. "That's what I thought. Get on with your lives!"

The crowd starts to diverge, but Erica won't stand for it. "STOP!" she yells.

The crowd turns around. "What has Morticia done that is so wrong? Didn't we just get this information about her being a liar from some random guy on the street?! How can we be so distrusting of our own friend?"

The crowd starts to murmur amongst themselves. Erica nods her head. "Yeah," she says. "That's what I thought. You all make me sick. I make myself sick."

Robert puts a fin on Erica's shoulder. "Erica, don't you think that you've taken this far enough?"

Erica looks back at Robert. "No. No, I don't, actually. We've treated this woman like dirt, and it's about time we made up for it."

"How are we going to do that?" a voice pipes up.

"We all visit her at the hospital," Erica replies. "All of us," she repeats, looking at Robert.

Robert puts his fins up defensively. "Hey, I'm all for this scheme of yours."

Erica rolls her eyes. "It's not a scheme, Robert. Weren't you listening to anything that I said? We're righting all the wrongs we've made toward this poor soul," she says, indicating Morticia. She then turns to the crowd. "Who's in?" she yells.

Nobody answers at first. Then, little Jimmy's voice pops up from the crowd. "I am!"

Allison picks up her child and hugs him. "I am!"

Fred shrugs his shoulders. "I am."

One by one, each of the neighbours agrees to come visit Morticia in the hospital.

Erica smiles. "Great! Now, let's get moving."

---

Morticia, in the hospital once again, opens her eyes, only to find all her neighbours standing over her bed. "Hey, Morticia," Erica says with a wave of her hand. "How's it going?"

Morticia looks around, surprised. "What are you all doing here?"

"We're here to say sorry," Erica begins.

"For not trusting you," Beth chimes in.

"For not being there," Allison adds.

"For... acting so rude," Fred chimes in sheepishly.

Morticia is flabbergasted. "W-well... I don't know what to say..."

Erica puts a finger to her lips. "You don't have to say anything. Are you all right?"

Morticia then remembers what happened before she blacked out. "Oh, yes... it was the strangest thing... police came into Preston's old house and they just started ransacking the place... and then there were the bodies... that's when I fainted."

Everybody is confused. "B-bodies?" Erica finally manages to say.

"Yes," Morticia replies. "He killed bodies and buried them in the backyard. I think he marked them all with white flags, too... and they were everywhere... just thinking about it makes me shudder." She does so.

"I-it'll be okay, Morticia," Erica replies, even though she herself is not so sure.

Morticia smiles sweetly at the crowd gathered in front of her. "Well, I really appreciate you all coming to see me, but I think I need some rest now."

"We understand, Morticia," Erica replies. They all go outside.

Once they get there, they go off in their own cars, each confused. "Did she really say there are bodies buried in our neighbourhood?" Erica asks her husband.

"I can't believe it either, Eri," Robert replies. "Try not to let it bother you."

"But... but... when Morticia gets out of the hospital, her only option is that house! She can't live there!" Erica protests.

"Erica, I'm sure all the dead bodies are long gone by now," Robert reassures her.

"That's not the point!" Erica insists. "Think of the memories she'll have of that house, even if she wasn't living in it! We have to find an alternate place for her to stay."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Robert finally agrees. "But where?"

Suddenly, Erica gets a serious look on her face. She knows exactly what she has to do.

---

"Hello, Fishscales Hospital?" Erica says, talking on the phone. Robert is waiting nearby. "Erica, are you sure you want to-?"

"Shh!" Erica says. "I'm on the phone." She returns to her conversation. "Yes, Hello. Could I please speak with Morticia Fishkin?... Uh-huh... Uh-huh... Erica Peterson... Okay, thank you." She hangs up.

"They wouldn't let you speak to her?" Robert asks.

"They said she's sleeping right now, but that they would let her know I called," Erica replies.

"So anyway, are you sure about this?" Robert repeats.

"Of course I'm sure!" Erica replies indignantly. "If I wasn't, why would I have called?!"

"Okay, okay," Robert backs up, holding his fins up defensively. "Just checkin'."

---

Morticia wakes up from her nap. She decides to ask someone for some orange juice. "Excuse me, Miss?" she calls to a nurse walking by.

The nurse pokes her head inside the room. "Yes?" she replies.

"Could I get some orange juice, please?" Morticia asks.

"Sure." The nurse is about to walk away, then pokes her head back into the room. "Wait, are you Morticia?"

"Yes..." Morticia replies.

"One of your friends called to speak to you... Erica Peterson."

"Okay..." Morticia is puzzled, because Erica had just recently seen her in the hospital. "I'll call her back." She uses the phone on her night stand to call her.

Erica picks up. "Hello?"

"Hi, Erica! It's Morticia! The hospital told me that you called earlier."

"Yes, yes I did," Erica smiles. "I called to ask if you wanted to stay with us once you got out of the hospital."

Morticia is flabbergasted. "I-I'd love to," she replies. "Are you sure I won't be too much trouble?"

"Trouble? C'mon, Morticia, we're friends!" Erica replies.

"Well, okay... thanks a lot," Morticia replies, smiling.

"It's no problem at all," Erica smiles. "Is there anything else?"

"Nope, I think that's it," Morticia replies. "See you when I get out of the hospital!"

"Seeya then," Erica replies. "Bye!" She hangs up.

Morticia hangs up on the other end, grateful that she has such good friends. Credits.

@tvguy: Yeah, I realize that. This was just a plot advancer at most. I'm trying to get them back to normal length.

@OMJ: Merci beaucoup. :D

Episode 33: Houseguests

It is now the day that Morticia is permitted to be released from the hospital. She is excited to stay with Erica.

"Okay Morticia, you're free to go," a doctor says. "Do you have anyone coming to pick you up?"

"Yes, I do," Morticia smiles.

"All right, then," the doctor says. "Go on ahead."

Morticia runs like she's never ran before, but then trips and falls, landing flat on her face. "Shit..." she says. It's the first time she's ever cursed. She picks herself up, and ignoring the offers of help from the nurses watching, she walks calmly towards the exit.

Erica is waiting in the parking lot in her boat. When she spots Morticia, she waves and says, "Hi, Morticia! Hop on in."

Morticia obliges, and the two drive to Erica's house. All the while Morticia thinks to herself, "This is the start of a new beginning..."

---

Erica and Morticia arrive at Erica's house. Erica invites her in.

"Make yourself at home," Erica says. "I know it may not be what you're used to, but... it's a roof over your head... without dead bodies in the backyard." She laughs.

Morticia shudders at Erica's joke, and Erica notices. "Oh, I'm sorry. How insensitive of me," Erica says, instantly regretting her words.

"It's fine," Morticia reassures her.

"Okay," Erica smiles. "Well, Robert's at work right now, so... what do you wanna do?"

Morticia thinks for a second. "Do you like to play cards?" she asks.

"Sure!" Erica replies. "What game?"

"I've always been partial to War," Morticia replies.

"Then War it is," Erica obliges cheerfully, getting out a deck of cards.

---

Beth is sitting at a table, eating pickles right out of the jar. Suddenly, she feels it. She's going into labour!

She struggles to pick up the phone and dial 911. "911, what's your emergency?" the 911 operator says.

"I'm going into labour!" Beth gasps.

"Just stay calm, ma'am. Could you give me your address?"

"562 Coral Drive," Beth gasps.

"Okay ma'am, an ambulance is on the way. How far apart are your contractions?"

"They seem like they're coming right on top of each other," Beth gasps.

"Okay, ma'am. Is this your first child?"

"Yes," Beth gasps.

"Okay, ma'am. The paramedics should be here right now."

Everybody comes outside to see the ambulance take Beth away. Beth now knows that there's no turning back.

---

Morticia and Erica watch the ambulance drive away. "Boy, I sure hope Beth is all right," Morticia remarks.

"Yeah, I'm not quite sure what happened," Erica replies.

Off in the distance, Allison says a silent prayer for Beth.

---

Beth is safely in the hospital, ready to give birth.

"Where's the husband?! Somebody get the husband in here!" one of the doctors says.

"He's... in... jail," Beth gasps, pushing hard while speaking.

"Well... just keep pushing, then! Pretend I'm your husband," the doctor says.

Beth glares at him, but keeps trying. At long last, the baby finally comes out crying.

"Congratulations, ma'am! You have a perfectly healthy baby boy!" the doctor says, cutting the umbilical cord. And as Beth held up her baby for the first time, she felt the same way.

---

Ed is sitting in his cell when a prison guard walks up to him. "Phone call, Ed," he says.

Ed takes the phone and says, "Hello?"

"Ed, I just had a baby!" Beth exclaims.

"WHAT?!" Ed is furious. He throws the phone at the wall.

"All right buddy, calm down!" The guard who handed him the phone is now unlocking his cell.

Ed points his fin at the officer. "You.. you didn't tell me that my wife was in labour?! What kind of twisted place is this? I missed her giving birth to our first child!"

"Sir, I didn't know..." the guard tries to explain.

"You didn't know," Ed repeats. "Well, you know what? Neither did I. And it's all because of the stupid hospital. I'm sure Beth told them where I was, and they didn't give that information to you. What idiots."

""Hey, now!" the prison guard says. "My wife works at that hospital."

Ed gets up in the prison guard's face. "Oh, does she? Well, you can tell your wife that I think she's crap at her job."

"She doesn't care what criminals think," the prison guard sneers.

Ed finally snaps. He wraps his fins around the prison guard's throat and begins to strangle him.

"Hey. HEY!" Two other prison guards run up to Ed and pry him off. The prison guard falls to the ground, unconscious. Possibly dead.

One of the prison guards points a fin at Ed. "If he's dead, I swear to God, you are NEVER getting out of here! You hear me? NEVER!"

Ed stammers, "B-b-b-but I-I-I-I-"

"You what?" the prison guard asks, still irate.

"I-I just want to see my wife again," Ed says, breaking down into tears.

"Yeah, well..." the prison guard says, unsure of how to react. "That's up to the state of this guard. Sorry, buddy." The other one calls for an ambulance, while Ed is still crying.

---

Meanwhile, Beth is worried about Ed's reaction. She doesn't think he ever knew about the pregnancy, much less her going into labour.

"Oh..." she holds up her new child. "I hope Ed will love you as much as I do..." she gives him a hug. "...Preston."

Beth always liked the name "Preston", and decided it was perfect for her baby.

---

The fallen prison guard is now in the hospital, with family gathered around him. The doctor is about to report on his condition. "He is unconscious, but should be restored after a few days," he states.

"Oh, thank God!" one of the relatives says, looking towards heaven.

---

A prison guard comes to tell Ed the good news. "Well buddy, let's just say you lucked out big time," he snarls.

Ed perks up. "He's not dead? he asks.

"Nope," the guard replies. "But don't think this means you're off the hook. You've got at least another year in here."

"Fuck," Ed says. He starts crying. "I'm going to miss my kid's first year on Earth."

"You should have thought of that before you assaulted a police officer," the police guard replies, unsympathetic. He then walks away, leaving Ed to drown in his own sorrow.

---

Beth is now ready to come home with her baby. She calls Allison to come pick her up, for she is the only one who knows about the baby in the neighbourhood.

Allison comes promptly to pick Beth up. Beth hops into the back, putting Preston in a baby's car seat that Allison used for when Jimmy was a newborn. Preston is fast asleep.

Allison starts to drive back home. "So, when are you gonna let the secret out?" she asks.

Beth is taken aback by Allison's question. "Well... I hadn't really... thought about it..." she confesses.

"You know you have to tell them eventually, right?" Allison asks.

"Of course," Beth replies, secretly dreading the moment.

---

Allison drops Beth off at her house. "Thanks for the lift, Allie," Beth says.

"No problem," Allison waves as she drives off.

Beth quickly rushes inside with her baby, who starts crying. "Oh no... don't cry, don't cry," Beth says. She now realizes that she is completely unprepared for this baby, and thus has to go all over the place to find everything for her. "Oh, boy..." Beth says. "This is going to take some getting used to."

---

Erica and Morticia are playing cards once again. "Ha! Gin," Morticia says.

"Damn," Erica replies, but in good nature. "So, how are you enjoying your stay so far?" she asks.

"Oh, please," Morticia replies. "Anywhere I can stay is fine by me."

"Well, I was just checking." Erica smiles. Morticia smiles back.

---

Yeah, sorry for the weak ending. :P

Episode 34: Baby Steps

Morticia wakes up to find Robert cooking breakfast. "Good morning, Robert!"

Robert grunts.

"What's the matter? Got up on the wrong side of the bed?" Morticia teases.

"You could say that," Robert mutters.

"So, whatcha cookin'?" Morticia asks.

"Breakfast," Robert replies gruffly.

Morticia walks up to him and pinches his cheeks. "Hey. Mr. Grumpy Gills..." she says a la Dory from Finding Nemo.

Robert slaps her hands away. "Will you knock it off?! I'm trying to cook here!"

"Geez, sorry..." Morticia seats herself at the kitchen table.

Robert points a fin at her. "Listen up, you bitch. You think you can come in here and disrespect me like that?!"

Morticia is shocked. "Robert, what on earth-"

"'Robert, what on earth' nothin'!" Robert fumes. "Do you know how much WORK I've had to do now that you've arrived?!"

Morticia holds her fins up defensively. "Robert, is there something I can help with?"

"Help?!" Robert exclaims. "The only way you can help is to get out!"

"Fine," Morticia replies. "I'll be gone today." She leaves to pack her bags.

Erica rushes downstairs. "What's going on?" she asks.

"Your friend is leaving," Robert answers.

Erica turns to Morticia, shocked. "What? Why?"

"Because I'm not wanted in this house," Morticia replies, as she continues to pack.

Erica walks over to Morticia. "But that's ridiculous!" she says. "I want you here!"

"You may want me here," Morticia replies. "But someone doesn't." She glances at Robert.

Erica turns to Robert. "Robert, what did you say?" she demands.

Robert throws his fins up. "All right, fine! She can stay! Because apparently, I have no say in this house."

"What's the big deal?" Erica asks. "It's not like I invited a criminal in here."

"Do you understand what I've had to do since Morticia came?" Robert asks. I'm cooking for three people now, plus my catering business!"

"Oh, poor you," Erica says mockingly.

Robert turns back to his cooking. "Just forget it. Forget I said anything."

Morticia is still unsure of whether she should unpack or not, so Erica jumps in to help.

---

Beth is now ready with everything she needs for her baby. However, nobody except Allison knows about it yet. She is now contemplating over whether she should tell, pacing back and forth while her baby rests.

"If I do tell, they'll wonder why I kept it bottled up," Beth says. "But if I don't tell, I'll have to keep this secret forever. Oh, what to do, what to do..."

She finally decides that she has to tell. "I'll think of some excuse as to why I didn't earlier," she tells herself. "I'll start with Erica." She gently wakes her sleeping baby, who immediately starts bawling. "Oh, no! Shhh..." Beth says, trying to soothe him. She picks him up and tries rocking him, but that doesn't soothe the baby. She then takes a whiff of the air. "Ew," Beth says. "Well, you knew it was coming," she tells herself as she brings her baby to the changing table. After changing him, the baby is fully happy. Beth takes this opportunity to bring him over to Erica's.

She rings the doorbell, and Erica answers. "Hi, Beth," she says. "Who's the baby?"

"This baby is mine," Beth replies. "And before you ask why I didn't tell you earlier..."

"Save your breath," Erica replies. "I know what Scott did to you."

"What?!" Beth exclaims. "I can't believe it! I thought I could trust Allison..."

Erica grabs Beth's shoulders. "Why didn't you tell me, Beth? I could've helped you through this."

"I just... felt so ashamed..." Beth replies, tears coming to her eyes.

Morticia walks up behind Erica. "Who's at the door? Oh, hi Beth! Who's the baby?"

Beth looks at Erica, who motions her to tell Morticia. "Morticia... this baby is mine."

"Oh, how wonderful!" Morticia gushes. "Congratulations!"

Beth chuckles awkwardly. "Uh, yeah... thanks."

"Soo... have you picked out a name yet?" Morticia asks eagerly.

"As a matter of fact, I have," Beth replies. "I will call him Preston."

Morticia stops smiling. "Oh no."

"What?" Beth asks. "What's wrong with 'Preston'?"

"Please stop saying... that name," Morticia replies.

"I just don't see why 'Preston'..."

"STOP! STOP! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP!" Morticia runs away, as fast as her frail legs can carry her.

Beth looks at Erica strangely. "What's wrong with her?" she asks.

Erica's face looks confused as well. "I don't know," she says. "I think Preston's a lovely name." They both forgot about Morticia telling them about Preston.

Meanwhile, Morticia is in the kitchen, trying to calm down. She knew she couldn't keep running from her past, and that it wasn't Beth's fault that she named her baby after that man. Wait a second! Yes it was! She heard about Preston. This was all for spite! She angrily marched back to the front door. "You think you're funny?" she asks, pointing a fin at Beth.

"Wha-wha-what are you talking-"

"You knew about Preston! You knew!"

Suddenly, it all comes back to Beth, and she feels awful. "Oh Morticia, I am so sorry..."

"Save it," Morticia says. She turns to Erica. "You were probably in on this too, weren't you?!"

"What? No!" Erica defends herself.

"All right, fine," Morticia says. "I trust you." She points her fin at Beth again. "But not YOU, you conniving, crafty, insolent..."

"Morticia, please... you're upsetting the baby," Beth interrupts. Preston begins to cry. He cries so loudly that everyone in the neighbourhood can hear, and everyone comes out to see what all the fuss is about.

Beth cringes. This wasn't exactly how she wanted people to find out about her baby. Erica tries to calm Morticia down, while Beth hurriedly brings her baby back home to soothe him.

When everybody comes outside, all they see is an angry Morticia with Erica trying to calm her down. Erica turns to the gathering crowd. "Go on home! Nothing to see here! Go on home!"

The crowd dissembles. Mumbles that consist of "Morticia's finally gone off the deep end" and the like are heard. "C'mon, Morticia," Erica says. "Let's go back inside."

---

It may be short, but it does wonders for the plot. Comments appreciated. :D

Episode 35: Nobody's Perfect

Beth is taking care of her baby. She wonders if anybody noticed Preston. What she doesn't know is that everybody already knows about the baby, and how he came to be. She is also sorry that she upset Morticia. She wants to go back and make it up to her, but the baby is taking up all her time now. She also doesn't think she should bring it back to Erica's, for fear of angering Morticia again.

She looks at Preston. "I don't care what anyone says about you or your name," she proclaims. "Right now, you're all that matters to me."

"Right now, you're all that matters to me..." We hear these words echoed as Ed sits in his cell. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!" he says to himself. He's been berating himself ever since he got the news that he has another year in jail. "How could I do that? I'm missing out on my baby, for God's sake. I wish there was something I could do... but there's not."

We see Beth again, rocking her baby to sleep.

---

The next morning, Morticia gets up and makes her own breakfast, trying to avoid contact with Robert.

Robert looks back at her. "Hey listen, Morticia..." he begins. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry."

Morticia perks her head up. "That's it?"

"What do you mean, 'that's it'?" Robert asks. "What more do you want?"

"It's so easy to say 'I'm sorry'," Morticia replies. "You probably didn't mean it."

"Well, I did!" Robert replies, now annoyed. "Why can't you accept my apology?"

"Fine, I'll accept your half-assed apology." Morticia rolls her eyes.

Robert turns around and points a fin at Morticia. "You've got a lot of nerve coming into my house and giving me attitude, you know that?"

"Hey, it's not like I begged to come here," Morticia protests. "Erica invited me!"

"Well, if you don't wanna be here, why don't you just go home?!" Robert yells.

"Don't you get it, you lug?! I want to be here!" Morticia yells back.

"Jesus Christ," Robert replies, turning back to cooking. "Just stay out of my way from now on, okay?"

"Precisely what I was trying to do before," Morticia says, taking a sip of coffee.

---

Beth geta a call on the phone, which wakes the baby, who starts crying. Beth rushes to answer the phone so as not to upset Preston further. "Hello?"

"Hi Beth! It's Allison. How's the baby?"

"He was doing just fine until you woke him up," Beth replies.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Allison replies.

"It's okay, I can soothe him again," Beth replies. "Yes, the baby and I are getting along fine, but I have to go and put him back to sleep now."

"Oh... okay," Allison replies. "Hey, do you wanna go out for coffee sometime this week?"

"Love to, Allie, but I don't think I have the time. Between looking for a job and the baby, I think I'm booked. But I'll get back to you. Okay? Seeya!" She hangs up abruptly, which slightly annoys Allison. "Hmph!" she says, hanging up the phone herself.

---

Erica and Morticia are playing cards again. "You know, Morticia..." Erica says. "This fighting between you and Robert has got to stop."

"It's okay, Erica," Morticia replies. "We are simply going to ignore each other."

"Okay, fine. Just so long as you two aren't yelling at each other," Erica replies.

"Never again," Morticia smiles.

"Ha! Gin," Erica says.

---

Beth is reading the want ads, looking for someone who will hire her. Because Ed is in jail, she desperately needs to find a job to support both herself and her baby.

None of the jobs appeal to her, so she decides to cover her eyes and pick one at random.

When she uncovers her eyes, she is disgusted by what she sees. "Manure shoveler?" she says in disbelief. "Stupid fate. Oh well. Now I just need to find someone to babysit Preston. But who? I can't ask Erica, Morticia wouldn't like it. Allison works during the day... oh, what am I to do?"

She then thinks of hiring a babysitter from the newspaper, and goes back to the classifieds.

---

A short while later, after a call on the phone, the babysitter shows up at Beth's house. "Hi!" she says. She is a young fish with blond hair and sparkling blue eyes. "So, where's the baby?"

"He's in the kitchen," Beth replies. "Come on in."

The babysitter and Beth walk into the kitchen. "Aww, how precious," the babysitter gushes. "So, can you give me all the necessary info?"

"Well... I need you here during weekdays, from 8 AM to 5 PM," Beth replies. "And Preston... um, Preston likes... dear God, I know nothing about my child." She breaks down and cries.

The babysitter is a bit confused. "Okay, well... I'll do the best I can with the knowledge I have."

Beth wipes away tears. "Thank you," she says. "How much will you be charging?"

"5 dollars a day," the babysitter says.

"All right," Beth replies. "Thank you so much."

"No no, thank you for this opportunity." The babysitter leaves.

Beth sits down in a chair, still depressed that she knows nothing about Preston. "Well, I'm going to find out about you!" she tells Preston. "Yes I am!" She pinches Preston's cheeks, and he almost instantly starts crying.

"Okay..." Beth says. "You don't like getting your cheeks pinched. That's a start." She calms him down with a rattle.

---

Erica and Robert are lying in bed, and Erica is uneasy about the tension in the household. "Robert..." she begins.

"Yeah, Eri?" Robert replies.

"I don't like all the tension in this house," Erica says. "You and Morticia have got to get along."

"We are getting along," Robert insists. "Not talking to each other is the most we'll ever 'get along'."

"But I can't live with two people who are never gonna speak to each other!" Erica protests. "It's too stressful!"

"Then you have two options," Robert replies. "Either kick her out, or move out yourself."

"So you're not even going to try to mend things between you two?" Erica asks.

"Hey, I've tried," Robert replies. "Maybe if she would accept my goddamn apology..."

"What if I tried talking to Morticia?" Erica replies. "And if I don't settle things, she's gone."

"Fine," Robert replies. He turns on his side to go to sleep. "Good luck."

"Good night to you, too," Erica says sarcastically. She turns out the light.

---

It is Beth's first day on the job, and the babysitter arrives right on time. "Hello," Beth smiles. "Now, there are a couple things you need to know about my baby." She reveals a long list of guidelines and regulations. "As you can see, I've been doing a lot of discovering since yesterday."

"Yes, I can see that," the babysitter agrees. "Well, I'll call your work number if there's any mishaps. Ooh, that's right! I'll need your work number."

"On the fridge," Beth replies. "Along with my cell and emergency numbers."

"Well, you've certainly come a long way from the frazzled mother that I saw yeaterday," the babysitter says, impressed.

"That mother no longer exists," Beth insists. "I'm a new woman, starting today!"

"Well, good for you," the babysitter beams. "So, will you be leaving soon, then?"

"Oh, right! I'm going to be late!" Beth remembers. "Take good care of Preston!" she shouts over her shoulder as she leaves.

"Don't worry, I will!" the babysitter says.

---

As Beth is driving to her job, she begins to worry about her baby. Will the babysitter take good care of him? She can't bear to think about something happening to him.

Panicking, she swerves the car around, almost causing an accident. She rushes home to check on her baby. She finds the babysitter playing with him by shaking his rattle. "Oh, hi Beth. Forget something?" the babysitter asks.

"No, I was just..." Beth then realizes how silly she was. "Actually, yes. I did forget something." She looks around the hall, frantic to find something she might have "forgotten". "Ah, yes! My, uh, hat," Beth finally says, grabbing her hat.

"Okay, you have everything you need now?" the babysitter asks.

"Yep! I'd better get going now, or I'm going to be really late," Beth says, running out the door. As she drives, she thinks to herself, "What could possibly go wrong?"

---

"...So it would really benefit everyone here if you would just apologize to my husband." Erica is talking to Morticia, trying to patch things up.

"I don't understand," Morticia replies. "I thought you were fine with us simply not speaking to each other."

"Yeah, I've changed my mind," Erica replies. "Too much tension."

"Well, I just don't see why I should be the one to change." Morticia crosses her arms.

"Because someone has to, and Robert's just as stubborn as you are," Erica says.

"I still don't see why it has to be me," Morticia replies defiantly.

"Because if you don't then... well, I'll have no choice but to kick you out," Erica says regretfully.

"You're as bad as he is!" Morticia accuses.

"Morticia, please understand..." Erica pleads. "I don't want to lose a friend."

"But you don't want to lose your husband even more," Morticia says. "Don't worry, Erica, I understand."

"You do?"

"Of course. It's obvious I'm not wanted here by either of you." Morticia goes to pack her bags. "I'm not wanted anywhere."

"Morticia, please..." Erica follows.

"Save it," Morticia says. She turns back. "I'm going far away," she says. "Somewhere where I won't bother anyone anymore. I don't care where, as long as nobody on this God-forsaken street has to see me again." She continues to pack, as Erica can do nothing but watch.

The narrator speaks over this scene. "Nobody's perfect..." Morticia leaves with all her bags, as Erica stands on the porch, too sad to say goodbye. "Sometimes we say things that offend others."

Beth is punching out of work, fretting about her baby. "Sometimes we worry about unnecessary things."

Allison is erasing Beth's name on her list of phone numbers. "Sometimes we act too fast without understanding the other person's point of view."

Ed is sitting in his jail cell, when a prison guard walks in with a new cellmate. "You have company," he says, walking out.

"H-hi," Ed says, feeling uneasy. "So, what are you in for?" he continues, trying to make conversation.

"Killed a guy," the cellmate responds.

"Why?" Ed replies.

"I'm looking for the guy who killed my sister, Virginia Dawson." He points a fin at Ed. "You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"O-of course not," Ed replies, shaking in his shoes.

"You better not," the other guy replies. "Because if I find out you're lying..." He mimes slitting Ed's throat. Ed gulps.

The new cellmate takes the top bunk, while Ed sits on his, fins folded. "And sometimes," the narrator concludes, "the mistakes we make can come back to haunt us, one way or another."

After being banished to the dreaded Page 2, it's back! (Of course, now Patrick's Big Break will be pushed to Page 2, but you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet.)

Episode 36: Home is Where the Heart is

Ed is waiting in the dinner line to get food, right behind his new cellmate. "Ed Flounder made a big mistake during his adolescent years," the narrator begins.

Flashback to a montage of Ed getting in his car drunk, then hitting Virginia Dawson and killing her, then quickly getting away.

Cut back to the original scene. "Now, he has to hide this mistake from his new roommate... or suffer the consequences," the narrator continues.

"So... chili again," Ed says weakly, trying to make conversation. His cellmate grunts.

"Do you... like chili?" he tries again. His cellmate just grunts again.

"Not much for, uh, small talk, are ya?" Doug chuckles.

The cellmate turns around and looks Doug right in the eye. "Will ya shut up for two seconds?" he replies.

"Yes, uh, sir," Doug replies, not wanting to make his cellmate angry. His cellmate turns around, and Doug holds his head in his fins. "Oh, what do I do? What do I do?" he asks himself. His cellmate glances at him suspiciously. "Hmmm..." he says to himself, turning around.

---

Beth arrivews home quickly, and immediately runs to her baby. "Oh, Preston! Thank God you're alright!" she exclaims, picking him up and kissing him.

"And what is that supposed to mean?" the babysitter says, looking offended.

"Oh, not that you didn't take good care of him, of course, but... thank God." Beth kisses Preston once again.

The babysitter gets her jacket on. "I'm sorry Beth, but I don't think this business relationship will work if you don't trust me."

"Molly, of course I trust you!" Beth exclaims, putting her baby down. "It's just that... this baby means so much to me. I'd hate for anything to happen to him."

"You're sending me mixed messages," Molly insists. "You say that you trust me, but if you really did trust me, then you wouldn't be worried about something happening to him."

"Molly, do you have kids?" Beth asks.

"Two beautiful daughters. Why?" Molly asks.

"Are you telling me that you never worry about them? Not even in the slightest?" Beth replies.

Molly nods. "I suppose I see what you mean. I'd be devastated if anything happened to my kids. I'm sorry, it's just that... my husband got laid off recently." She starts sobbing.

"Dear girl..." Beth rushes to comfort her. "Are you telling me you're the only person providing income for the family?"

"Yep," Molly sniffles. "Not that my husband isn't trying, but... you know how the economy is."

"I understand," Beth replies. "Don't worry about a thing, I know that you will take good care of my baby."

"Thank you," Molly replies. She holds out her fin. "Hate to break up this moment, but I do need my money for today."

"Of course," Beth chuckles. She takes out her wallet.

---

Erica is staring out the window. "I can't believe she lefty," she says, referring to Morticia.

Robert walks up to her. "She'll be fine!" he insists. "She's a tough ol' bird."

"No she isn't!" Erica insists. "She's a fragile old lady! Who knows what might happen to her?"

"You're getting paranoid," Robert scoffs.

"You need to stop living in your fantasy world where nothing bad ever happens!" Erica points a fin at Robert. "Because you know what? Bad things do happen, and they might happen to Morticia!"

"And you need to stop living in a world where everyone is out to get everyone," Robert counters. "This isn't a soap opera."

"So you're not the least bit worried," Erica says disgustedly.

"Not in the slightest," Robert replies.

Erica just shakes her head and walks out of the room.

---

Ed is still nervous about having the brother of Virginia as his cellmate. He always acts edgy around him, which makes said cellmate more and more suspicious. One day, he confronts Ed. "You seem to be hiding something," he says.

"What? Who, me?" Ed replies. "Nooo... why would you think that?"

"You're showing all the signs," the guy says. "The last guy I killed showed all the signs."

"And those signs were...?" Ed replies edgily.

"General nervousness," the criminal replies. "Sweaty palms, shivering, chattering teeth..." He suddenly grabs Ed by the collar. "I'll give you one last chance to say you had something to do with my sister's death," he says. "After this, if I find out, you're fish food. Got it?" He pins him to the wall.

Ed now knows what he has to do. "All right! It was me! I killed Virginia!"

"Why, you lying son of a-" The criminal punches Ed in the head repeatedly, too angry to finish his sentence.

"Hey. HEY!" Two security guards rush up and unlock the cell door, pulling the criminal off of Ed, who is now lying in a crumpled heap, unconscious.

"Let's get this man to a hospital," one of the guards says. He glares at the criminal. "And you, my friend, just bought yourself another month or two."

"Fine! I'll take it!" the criminal replies. He glares at Ed. "Just so long as I get my revenge." The guards take Ed away.

---

Ed awakens on a hospital bed. "Wha-what happened?" he asks groggily to no one in particular.

"You passed out, Ed," the doctor attending to him replies. "The good news is that it's not serious, and we should have you out of here in a few days."

"That's not good news," Ed replies mournfully. "I have to return to jail, where I will surely be killed, if not maimed for life."

"You don't have to worry about that," One of the security guards who pulled Ed's cellmate off him walks in. "We've assigned him to a different cell."

"You think that'll make a difference?!" Ed snaps. "He'll still find a way to pulverize me! I killed his sister!"

"What do you want us to do?" the guard asks impatiently. "Let you free?"

"That would be nice..." Ed replies.

The guard rolls his eyes. "Well, I'm sorry, but we can't let you free."

"Why not just transfer me to another jail?" Ed suggests.

"If you want to go all the way out to Finnville," the guard scoffs.

"I don't care! In fact, the farther away from him I am, the better!"

"It's your call." The guard shrugs. "Are you sure?"

"Yes! I've never been more sure of anything in my life!" Ed insists.

"Okay," the guard says. "I'll go make the necessary calls." He leaves.

The other, bigger guard comes out. "I'm here to make sure you don't leave," he snarls.

"Don't worry about me leaving," Ed replies. "I need a few days here..."

---

Beth is tending to her baby when she receives a phone call. She picks up her phone. "Hello?"

"Hi, is this Beth Flounder?" the woman on the other end asks.

"Yes," Beth replies.

"We regret to inform you that your husband is in the hospital," the woman says mournfully.

Beth nearly drops the phone in surprise. "Oh, my gosh!" she exclaims. "Is he all right?"

"He's fine, but he needs to stay for a couple more days," the receptionist replies. "Just letting you know."

"Yes, well... thank you," Beth says, still flabbergasted. She hangs up the phone.

"Oh my gosh," she exclaims once again. "I should go visit him!" She looks at Preston. "Oh, but I can't leave Preston behind," she remembers. She picks him up. "I guess you'll just have to come with me. Yes you will! Yes you will!" Preston giggles.

"Oh, Ed will be so happy to see you!" Beth continues, strapping Preston into his car seat. "I can't wait!" She gets in the front seat and drives off quickly. Preston starts crying at the high speed. "Oh, dear!" Beth replies. "I'm sorry, Preston." She slows down. "I was just so excited." She now drives at a slower pace.

---

Erica is getting on her jacket. Robert looks up from the book he's reading quizzically. "Where you going, Eri?"

"I'm off to find Morticia," Erica declares.

Robert slaps his forehead. "I thought I told you, Erica. We have nothing to worry about."

"I know what you told me!" Erica snaps. "But I'm thinking for myself now. So if you have anything else to say to me before I leave, now would be a good time!"

Robert is stunned by Erica's sudden outburst that he can't even stop her. "Be... be sure to bundle up, it's pretty chilly out there," he manages to say.

"Thank you," Erica replies solemnly. She exits.

---

Ed is taking a nap. Meanwhile, Beth arrives with her baby at the hospital. She walks up to the receptionist. "Hi, I'm here to see Ed Flounder," she states.

"I'll page a doctor to accompany you," the receptionist replies. She pages one, and the doctor who was talking to Ed earlier shows up. "Right this way, my dear," he says. They walk down the hall to Room 101, where Ed is sleeping. "As I suspected," the doctor says. "Try to wait until-" Suddenly, Preston starts crying, which wakes Ed up. He finds Beth trying to soothe Preston. "Beth?" he says wearily.

Beth turns to Ed. "Sorry," she replies sympathetically.

"Is that... him?" Ed asks.

Beth turns to Preston. "Yes, Ed." She smiles. "It is."

"Could I...?" Ed asks, reaching out for Preston.

"Yes," Beth says, still smiling. She hands the baby to Ed.

Ed gazes into Preston's eyes. "Hello, little guy," he says, nearly speechless. Preston appears to gaze back into his eyes in the same way. Ed gives his baby a huge hug, while Beth looks on happily. She then remembers that biologically, Ed is not the father. "I have to tell him," she says regretfully to herself. But then she looks to see how happy Ed is with Preston. "Well... maybe I can wait," she tells herself.

---

by The Pretenders plays during this scene.

Erica is looking all over the place for Morticia, and it has begun to rain. "Morticia? Morticia?" she calls out.

Meanwhile, Morticia is sitting under a bus stop shelter, shivering.

Erica just happens to walk by, and notices Morticia. "Morticia!" she shouts. She runs up and grabs her by the fin. "Come back to our house! If Robert doesn't like it, he can move out."

Morticia looks happy. "Do you mean that?"

"Yes!" Erica hugs her. "You mean more to me than anything, and the last thing I want is for something bad to happen to you."

"Gee, thanks Erica." Morticia tries to hold back tears of joy. "I really did have nowhere else to go."

"Yeah, I... kind of noticed," Erica replies, trying to choose her words as delicately as possible. "Well, let's get you... home."

"I'll Stand By You" continues to play over the credits.

Episode 37: Separation

Erica comes back home with Morticia, much to Robert's dismay. "What is she doing back here?" he demands.

"She was shivering under a bus stop," Erica replies. "So much for her 'being fine'."

Robert doesn't really know what to say in this situation, but he still doesn't want Morticia living in his house. "Well... I'm moving out!" he declares.

"Go ahead." Erica calls his bluff.

"Fine!" Robert replies. He goes upstairs to pack his bags.

He grumbles up the stairs and all the way to the bedroom. He angrily puts clothes in a suitcase. He then remembers his wedding vows: "Til death do us part..." He shakes it off and continues packing. But it comes back. Robert then remembers his first marriage, and what it was like...

---

In the flashback, Robert is coming downstairs for breakfast. "Morning, sweetie," he smiles. He kisses his first wife.

"Morning, babe." The wife kisses him back. "I've made us scrambled eggs."

"Great..." Robert says, sitting down. "That's how my brain feels right now." He takes out a load of paperwork. "How am I ever gonna finish this in two days?"

"You'll find a way." Robert's wife smiles sweetly. "I'm sure of it."

Robert smiles back. "Thanks honey, but I'm going to need more than words to get this done."

"How about an extra kiss?" His wife comes to kiss him on the cheek.

"I'll try my best to get this done," Robert replies. His wife serves him a plate of scrambled eggs. Robert eats them quickly, and then says, "Well, I gotta fly."

"Okay," his wife says. They kiss each other goodbye, and Robert leaves. Little did either of them know that a murderer was hiding in the bushes outside. Robert's wife begins to wash the frying pan. Suddenly, the murderer breaks in. Robert's wife gasps in shock. "Who... who are you?" she gasps.

"Your worst nightmare." The murderer closes in on her, and slashes her with his axe.

---

("New York Minute" by Don Henley plays through this scene)

Robert comes home from work. "Honey, I'm..." He then drops his papers, shocked at what he sees. His wife is lying in a crumpled heap, covered in blood. Robert rushes to a phone to dial 911. "Yes, hello. My wife just got murdered. Send police." He hangs up without giving the address, then sobs over his wife's death. Police eventually find him with Caller ID. They knock on the door. Robert gets up to open it, tears still streaming from his eyes.

We cut to the funeral, where Robert is still crying. "Annie Suckerfish, née Coralton, was a wonderful wife, daughter, and sister. She was an inspiration to her nieces and nephew with her ever-optimistic attitude, and will be missed greatly by those who loved her." After the readings, Robert goes up to the coffin to take one last look at Annie. He grabs her fin, though it is cold and clammy. "Goodbye, my love," he says. He then leaves in tears. ("New York Minute" ends)

Robert then flashbacks to his second marriage to Erica. "Til death do us part..." He remembers kissing Erica passionately, and vowing never to leave her side.

We cut back to Robert, now just sitting on his bed, contemplating. Erica knocks on the door. "Come in," Robert replies wearily.

Erica opens the door. "Rob?" she asks. "Are you okay?"

"I-I'm fine, just... thinking," Robert replies.

"Okay," Erica replies. She sits down with him on the bed. "Mind if I ask what about?"

"I'm... thinking about whether I should stay or not," Robert lies, although not completely.

Erica touches Robert's fin. "I hope you decide to stay," she says. There is a tear in her eye.

Robert is tearing up as well. "Of course I'll stay," he says, hugging Erica.

"You don't mind Morticia?" Erica asks.

"You listen to me." Robert grabs Erica's shoulders. "Nothing will ever tear us apart. Nothing."

"Oh, Robert..." Erica wraps her arms around him.

---

Beth is sitting at home, staring at her baby, wondering when an appropriate time would be to tell Ed the truth, or if there will ever be an appropriate time at all. "What Ed doesn't know won't hurt him," she tells herself, thinking back to earlier today when Ed was ecstatic over the baby.

---

3 days later, Ed is released from the hospital and is sent to the Finville Prison. He feels much safer here, and soon, he tells himself, he will be home to his wife and his baby.

---

Meanwhile, Beth is still conflicted. "Maybe I should talk to Allison." She picks up the phone and dials.

Allison picks up. "Hello?"

"Hi, Allie. It's me, Beth."

Allison is still miffed at Beth hanging up the phone on her earlier. "What do you want?"

"I was wondering if you could help..." Beth begins, but she is cut off.

"Is that it now?" Allison replies. "You only call me when you need help? Well, that's just great!"

Beth is shocked at Allison's behaviour. "Why, Allison!" she states. "I thought you'd always be there for me!"

"Yeah?" Allison replies. "Well, being there for somebody goes both ways! I can't deal with your problems anymore!" She hangs up.

Beth hangs up as well and sits down in a chair, folding her hands. Now who would she be able to turn to?

Episode 38: Death and Rebirth

Robert is coming down the stairs to have some breakfast. He sees Erica's and Morticia's sad faces. "What's wrong, ladies?" he asks. "Rise and shine!"

"Oh, Robert," Erica tries to fight back tears. "I have terrible, terrible news."

"What is it?" Robert asks.

"Your father..." Erica sniffles. "...has... passed on."

Robert is shocked. "When... what... how...?!"

"Oh baby, I'm so sorry." Erica walks up and gives him a hug. Robert hugs Erica back, crying.

---

The funeral of Brian Suckerfish is happening right now. The priest is reading: "Brian Suckerfish was a..."

"Stop!" Robert stands up. "I just played a similar reading in my head, why do I have to go through this again?! It's not fair!" He runs out. Everybody looks at Erica, who sinks into her chair, blushing.

---

At the reception, Robert tries to hide himself as much as possible for his boorish behaviour. Erica walks up to him and slaps him. "What is your deal?!"

Robert turns around. "My deal?!" he yells. "My father just died and you're asking me what my 'deal' is?!"

"Yes!" Erica replies. "Your behaviour at the funeral was unacceptable!"

"Well, I'm sorry that we all handle grief differently," Robert scoffs.

"Grief?" Erica replies. "You were a raving lunatic in there!"

"Do you live inside my head?!" Robert replies.

Erica backs off. "No..."

"Then how could you POSSIBLY know what I have been going through?!" Robert is yelling louder than ever. "Maybe we should divorce."

Erica is shocked. "Robert... what?"

"You heard me. If you can't accept my feelings, then we should divorce."

"Robert... we've been through this already." Erica walks up to her husband. "Remember?"

"Yeah, yeah, I know." Robert is suddenly regretting his words. He sighs. "I guess it's time to tell you the story."

"What story?" Erica asks.

"Come with me," Robert replies.

The scene fades to Robert finishing the story, outside the funeral home. "...and that's what I was thinking about the night before," he concludes.

"Oh, Robert." Erica hugs him tightly.

"So I'm sorry for my outburst, but... yeah."

"I forgive you, baby," Erica replies. "I would have been the same way."

"Well, it's good thing that you forgive me," Robert replies dryly. He glances into the building. "Because I don't think anyone else will."

"Nonsense!" Erica replies. "They all probably know the story."

"But they don't know that I was replaying it in my head," Robert points out. He gets up. "Maybe I'd better explain myself."

"I'll come with you," Erica replies.

Robert turns to her. "Of course you are," he chuckles. "What, were you going to just stay here?" He buries his head in his fins. "Oh, my God. My dad just died and I'm cracking jokes."

"It's okay," Erica replies. "Don't beat yourself up."

---

"...and that's the reason for my outburst this morning," Robert says, addressing the family and friends. "So for that, I am truly, truly sorry... and I hope that you can forgive me." He looks heavenward. "Sorry, Dad," he whispers.

Robert's mom breaks the awkward silence. "Well, it's good enough for me. Therefore, it's good enough for everybody." She looks around the room, almost daring someone to challenge her. The crowd murmurs in general agreement.

"Thanks, you guys." Robert is grateful. "But I think we need to bring our attention back to... my dad." He looks heavenward again, as does everyone else. They all say their own separate prayers.

---

Meanwhile, Beth is feeling just about hopeless. She appears to have lost her best friend, and has no idea how to get her back. She then remembers what Allison said: "Being there for somebody goes both ways!"

Beth stands up. "I'm going to make things right with Allie," she states. But first, she checks to see if Preston's asleep. When the slumber is confirmed, she quietly slips out to go to Allison's.

She knocks on Allison's door. Allison opens it, and slams it in Beth's face before she can even get a word out. "Allison, please!" Beth pleads. "Just let me in!"

Allison opens the door just a crack so she can hear Beth clearly, but Beth can't come in. "What?" she seethes.

"Please let me in," Beth continues to plead. "I want to be your friend again."

Allison rolls her eyes and begins to close the door, but Beth stops it with her foot. "Listen," she continues. "I know that I haven't been the best friend lately."

Allison snorts. "You can say that again."

"If you want me to, I will," Beth replies. "I'll say it all day if you want. But I just wanted to tell you that... I want to be there for you again."

"Why?" Allison rolls her eyes. "What do you want from me now?"

"Nothing, I swear." Beth says. "Just tell me right now, anything you need to get off your chest. I'll try and help you out."

Allison sighs. "Beth, it's not that I had anything on my chest to get off. It's that... I miss just being friends. You know, playing cards and whatnot."

"I know what you mean," Beth agrees. "So... do you wanna play?"

Allison opens the door and smiles. "C'mon in."

---

A guard comes to Ed's prison cell. "Good news, big boy," he says. "Today's the day you're set free."

"Woohoo!" Ed screams like a little girl, and runs around giddily.

The guard looks at him, unsure. "I could put you in solitary confinement, too, you know."

"No, no." Ed suddenly calms down. "I'm fine. Just... get me back to my wife and kid."

The guard opens the cell door. "You're free to go." Ed tries to remain as calm as possible, so as not to make the guard change his mind. He steps out into freedom, then frantically looks around for a taxi to take him home. "Beth? Baby? I'm comin' home," he says to himself, full of excitement and glee.

---

Beth and Allison finish another round of cards. Beth then remembers that she did have something to ask Allison, but she realizes that she can't say it now. She then remembers something more important: She left her baby at home! "Oh, my God!" Beth exclaims. "I have to go!" She rushes out the door.

Allison sighs. "Well, let's hope it gets better," she says to herself.

Beth rushes home and unlocks her door, bursting in. Luckily, Preston has been asleep this whole time... until now, because Beth just woke him up. He starts to cry. "Oh, no!" Beth exclaims. She rushes to Preston's aid, and gives him a bottle of milk. "It's okay, honey," she reassures him. "It's okay." Suddenly, she hears a taxi pulling up on her driveway. She looks out the window to see who it is. It's Ed!

"Oh, dear." Beth looks at Preston. "Well... he deserves to come home to good news, not bad." She puts Preston in his playpen, and goes to open the door for her husband.

To be continued...