• Advertisement

The SBC Community Mixtape #12

HawkbitAlpha

Here we go again, y'all. After a month off, it's time for another round of the SBC Community Mixtape! It's our own equivalent of the classic potluck dinner, but instead of food, we all bring the noise. This time, though, we may want to bring some blankets along, as our theme is...

TOTAL COVERAGE

Have you ever heard a song that you were surprised to find out was a cover of an existing one? Or maybe you've found a cover, and then decided that you liked it more than the original? That's what we're looking for here: cover songs that you think either differentiate themselves very well from the original, or that you think are outright better than the original. I'm curious to see where y'all can take this one!

Of course, the rules:

• Length limits per person: you have a total of 30 minutes worth of music to play with. (This site is great for calculating the times.)
  • Try to post your submissions using a Spotify playlist. If this is not possible for you, at least make sure that all of your submissions are available on Spotify.
  • Joke/troll entries can and most likely will be excluded.
  • No repeat entries (can't submit the same thing as somebody else).
  • Most of all: have fun with it!

Tentative deadline for submissions is next Saturday, July 22nd. Until then, I'm off to try and relearn how to play Smoke on the Water on guitar.

Spoiler

HawkbitAlpha:
Filter - (Can't You) Trip Like I Do
Rascal Flatts - Life is a Highway
Rick Derringer - Rock & Roll Hoochie Koo
Dobie Gray - Drift Away
Chris Stapleton - Tennessee Whiskey
Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage
All That Remains - The Thunder Rolls

• Like 1

Super late with this one as well lel - I have to be at work in the next hour, so I'll forgo the lengthy track notes and just post a list of the artists covered in the spoiler and the playlist itself afterwards. Enjoy!

Spoiler

Original artists:

1. Radiohead (2000)

2. Bobby Freeman (1958), though the definitive version has to be the one done by The Beach Boys in 1965

3. The Rolling Stones (1965)

4. Chumbawamba (1997)

5. Suicide (1979)

6. Boards of Canada (1998)

7. Daniel Johnston (1984, apparently, though his own 1990 remake of the song is better known)

• Like 1