• Advertisement

287a. Friendiversary

Jjs Goodman

Decided to watch this ep for myself after seeing the talk about it on discord (luckily for me, it premiered at 10 AM here). I mean, I feel like I’m numb to all the SpongeBob/Squidward shenanigans. It just is what it is at this point, 24 years into the game. The least they could do was make it somewhere close to funny, but it wasn’t, even by my low standards. Squidward losing his marbles was pretty fun tho, as was the callbacks. Krabs keeping the safe combo within SpongeBob’s memories sounded kinda dumb at first, but the more I thought about it, Plankton’s previous attempts to do anything with SpongeBob’s brain (that I seen) majorly backfired on him so I can see what the intent was there. Outside of the sadly only an eel Eel looking like she was waving right at me, I can agree with the negative consensus.

2 Eels Waving at Me out of 5

• Like 2

By this point, it seems like Kaz is just going through the motions when it comes to writing episodes, without any real concern as to whether something is funny or not. What Kaz (and other writers who have wrote cringe-worthy episodes) fail to get, is that Spongebob hanging out with Squidward, is ONLY funny and interesting when there's a real REASON for Spongebob to do so! Any other attempt at making a Spongebob and Squidward episode be any good is just going to end in disaster! Now, was Squidward LITERALLY erasing all of Spongebob's memories of Squidward out of Spongebob's Scrapbook and Spongebob's mind evil? Yes, it was. Did it warrant Squidward having to RE-CREATE a bunch of Spongebob's old memories in an attempt to get Spongebob to remember the combination to the Krabby Patty Secret Formula Safe (which Mr. Krabs REALLY should've ran PAST Squidward first)? Arguably not. While it WAS a good idea (in theory) to recreate scenes from "Bubbles; Dying For Pie;" and "The Camping Trip" in high definition animation, it just serves as a more PAINFUL reminder that "Spongebob Squarepants" is SUPPOSED to be capable of so much more! And the biggest kicker of the episode? Spongebob REMEMBERING that the 'Friendiversary' didn't happen YESTERDAY, it was SUPPOSED to happen TODAY, or TOMORROW! I'd give the episode a 4 out of 10 at BEST! Enough said, true believers!