• Advertisement

040a. Squid on Strike

spongebobiscool

This was the last episode produced for Season 2, and it weaved together all of the season's best elements effortlessly. It starts with Mr. Krabs being a cheapskate again, and Squidward, fed up with it all, decides to go on strike. He takes SpongeBob along for the ride, and as you can expect, it doesn't pan out that well. SpongeBob's ignorance of labor union tactics causes him to unintentionally obstruct Squidward's airing of grievances. However, after getting SpongeBob out of the way, Squidward manages to fire up crowds with words I didn't understand when I first watched the episode and some I don't understand now. SpongeBob, moved by the speech, tells off Mr. Krabs and decides to take matters into his own hands. It seems, though, that he didn't quite get the symbolism of the speech, because he ends up dismantling the restaurant.

Overall, this was a great and funny episode. I love when the storylines are simple like that, because they give the writers tons of much-needed leeway.

The ending was unsatisfying, but the rest of the episode is good.

"A strike? Yeah! You mean you're gonna picket signs? Yeah! And you're gonna make protest speeches? YEAH! AND YOU'RE GONNA DEMAND ME RESPECT?"

A very funny episode with plenty of gags, like the "picket sign" joke and "Krusty Krab Fun Fair". This also happens to be my cousin's favorite episode. But the ending really takes the cake.

Final score: 9/10