• Advertisement

Disney's SMiLE

Image result for disney logo

Image result for beach boys smile logo

This is a project I've been planning for a while now: a Disney AU fic with a twist...it's a jukebox musical set to the music of the Beach Boys. 

Set in the early 1960s in the town of Disney, California, this lit is a departure for me in that it's a historical comedy-drama, following a group of friends as they explore the ups and downs of adolescence while growing up in one of the 20th century's most turbulent decades, all the while getting into shenanigans revolving around surfing, hod rods, and girls. Think Grease or American Graffiti, except with Beach Boys songs. With a first season of 26 episodes planned and @GreyKnight151 co-writing, I'm sure this lit will be givin' you good vibrations. Coming soon: the pilot episode Summer Days (And Summer Nights)!

Edited by Renegade the Unicorn
  • Like 1
  • Happy 1

Summer Days (and Summer Nights!)

“Ah, the early 1960s. Such a wonderful time to be a teenager back in those days. JFK was still president, the optimism of the 1950s was still going strong, and in Southern California, there was nothing but guys surfing on the beach and girls lying in the sun, trying to get a tan in skimpy for the time bikinis. For me, however, the summer of 1963 was when I moved to the town of Disney, California and had the best time of my life.

Oh, I’m sorry. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tobias Darryl Jones, but everyone calls me Toby. This little book that you have in your hands is a chronicle of my life from the summer of ‘63 to the end of Vietnam in 1975. In that timeframe, a lot changed; not just for me, but for the town of Disney and America as a whole. As I sit back in my office chair and type this out at the ripe old age of 69, I think back to those summer days and summer nights, when I drove my ‘32 Ford up and down Main Street, surfed on the beaches against the hot summer sun, and most importantly made my best friends in the whole world. So sit back, grab a drink (preferably root beer), and listen as I take you back to a simpler time…”

-Toby Jones, foreword of California Dreamin’: A Memoir (1963-1975)

“I still remember that little town. Disney, California. ‘A place where anyone can feel welcome.’ the sign by the road leading in said. That was true...for a while. My name is Elsa. I'm Catholic, born and raised. As you may be able to imagine, it wasn't the best time to be ‘different’ in this great country of ours. People in my hometown tended to hate Catholics, so I got picked on a lot. It also didn't help that I...well, I guess you could say I loved differently than most girls my age. So, obviously, a town where everyone was welcome sounded like a dream come true, especially after my parents drowned at sea. I felt like I didn't have to restrain my emotions anymore. I could let it go...or so I thought.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I moved to Disney with my younger sister, Anna, her boyfriend, Kristoff, and our newly adopted brother, Toby. We were all still grieving, but it seemed like moving to a little town near the beach was a great idea. We could all relax, Toby could make new friends, and, eventually, we would heal. Life was good, for the most part, for about a year or two. But then...it all fell apart.

Anna, Toby...if you're reading this...I'm sorry. I'm so very sorry.”

-Elsa Fryse, foreword of Heaven and Hell: My Time in Disney, California

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The summer sun shone on the bright blue Ford Thunderbird as it drove down the road leading into the town of Disney. Inside the car were two Caucasian women, one 21 and one 18, a man not much older than the latter woman, and a teen of around 15. The women were wearing blue and green dresses, their respective blonde and brunette hair tied in braids. The teen, who didn’t resemble them very much, was dressed in jeans and a rather standard button-up T shirt, his black hair combed back neatly. The older man, with a large German Shepherd on his lap, was dressed pretty warmly for California, wearing a brown fur jacket that matched his brown hair perfectly.

The man, whose name was Kristoff, scratched his chin. A cigarette hung from his other hand, which was draped outside the window casually. Elsa, the blonde woman, shook her head.

“Why in the name of all things holy do you dress so warmly all the time?”

He shrugged in response. “I'm from northern Alaska. It's almost traditional to wear clothing like this.” The teen, whose name was Toby, sat next to Kristoff, silently staring out the window.

“Toby,” said Anna, the brunette. “You haven’t spoken for a while. Is something wrong?”

“No. I’m just admiring the beauty of summer.” the teen said, looking at the beach in the distance. Once she noticed this, Anna giggled.

“Don’t worry; once we save up, I’ll buy surfboards for you and Kristoff.”

Kristoff grinned. “Thanks, babe.”

“But...I don’t know how to surf.” Toby protested. Kristoff clapped his shoulder.

“I'll teach you.” He said. Then, he stage-whispered, “Just don't let Elsa do it. Between you and me, she's not very good at it.”

“Hey!”

This immediately cheered Toby up, and he laughed. Sven, the German Shepherd, stared at them both, happily panting. Kristoff asked, smirking, “Remind me: Did I lose track of you because I was staring at the girls on the beach...or was it the other way around?”

Elsa blushed, fingering the crucifix at her throat.

Toby grinned. “I think it was both of us. California girls are amazing, ain’t they?”

Anna shook her head. “Boys…”

Kristoff said cheerfully, “You know you love it…” Anna blushed fervently.

“Come on, Kristoff...let’s not tease her.” Toby said. Kristoff snorted.

“She's my girlfriend. It's practically my job.”

“True that.” Toby said, idly scratching Sven’s ear. The dog panted happily. “Hey, we’re almost there.” He pointed to a sign outside. It read, ‘You are now entering the town of Disney: Happiest place on earth.’ Elsa drove along, before slamming the brake as a group of teenagers heading for the beach ran out in front of the car. “Hey, jerks! Ya coulda killed us!” Toby shouted, leaning out the window. Kristoff was a bit less polite, leaning out the window with both middle fingers extended.

“Hey, screw you too, pal!” one of the teens shouted back. Elsa, without a word, opened the glove box and pulled something out. “This should send them running for the hills.”

She tapped the revolver she had taken out against the windshield, calling, “I've had a bad week, kids. You push me too far, and I'll put this to good use.”

“Whoa, hey lady, we don’t want trouble. We’re just heading to the beach, mmkay?”

She put it back, before starting to drive again once they had moved out of the road.

Toby looked at his older adoptive sister. “Thanks, Elsa.”

“No problem. Oh, don't give me that look, Anna.”

“Elsa, we don’t need you gunning down surfers on our first day.”

“You make me sound like a deranged mass murderer. You do recall I'm Catholic, right?”

“So’s President Kennedy, but everyone loves him.”

“And how does that commandment go? Oh, yes: ‘Thou shalt not murder.’ Do you really think I would kill a group of teenagers because they ran out in front of my car? They're lucky I didn't run them over on accident.”

“Good point. Hey! Once we go into the town proper, let’s see if there’s a diner. I could use a chocolate shake.”

“That does sound good right about now…”

“Ooh, and a cheeseburger…” Toby said. “...with root beer.”

Soon enough, they entered the main part of town. Elsa pulled over, took the keys out of the ignition, and opened her door, getting out. She stretched, every joint and muscle stiff from the long drive. Toby and Anna got out, stretching their legs. Kristoff got out, leaving Sven with a large bone to chew on. Elsa spotted a diner nearby, and walked towards it. ‘Flo’s V8 Cafe’, the sign read, it resembling a car motor. Toby and Anna followed her, Kristoff not far behind. Inside resembled a typical diner, with its checkerboard tiles, stainless steel countertop, and red leather booths. Behind the counter was a woman, maybe in her 30s to 40s, wearing a green dress overlaid with a white apron. Her eyes were equally as green, if not more so, her hair being blonde like Elsa’s only more vibrant. “Well, howdy.” the woman greeted upon seeing them, a thick Southern dialect in her words. “How are all of y’all folks today?”

Elsa replied, “We're doing alright. And yourself?”

“Ah’m fine, young lady. Y’all new here?”

Elsa nodded. “Just came here from Alaska, actually.”

“Alaska huh? Mighty cold in those parts, I hear.”

Elsa grinned. “Well, the cold never bothered me.”

“Ya got spunk. I like seein’ that in today’s ladies. What can ol’ Flo get you today?”

“Well, my sister Anna is dying to have a chocolate milkshake.”

Flo nodded, and shouted towards the kitchen, “Brown moo juice, quake it!”

The diner was largely empty, save for a man wearing priest robes, sitting in booth at the opposite end of the diner from the group. A cup of coffee sat in front of him, and he appeared to be praying.

“Who’s he?” Toby asked.

“Oh, him? That’s Jean Frollo, hon. He’s the town’s pastor.”

Frollo opened his eyes, looking towards them. “Ah, hello. New in town, I presume?”

Elsa nodded. He smiled a bit, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. The pastor looked very tired. “Stressful job, huh?” Anna asked. Frollo snorted.

“Do you have any idea how many teenagers enter the confession booth to tell me, ‘Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned. I touched myself last night?”

Anna also snorted. “Teenagers…” Toby glared at her. “It’s true, Toby, come on.”

“Still…” Toby said, then turned to Frollo. “It’s very nice to meet you, Father. I’m Toby.”

“I'm Elsa. A pleasure to meet you, Pastor Frollo.”

“I’m Anna, and this is my boyfriend Kristoff.”

“Hey.”

Frollo looked at them all. “Have any of you suffered loss, recently?”

Elsa didn't say a word, but her averted gaze was answer enough. Toby also looked away, as did Anna. Frollo merely sighed. “I'm sorry. I know how keenly grief can sting. Can I give you all some advice?”

“Of course.” said Anna.

“Here is something one of my fellow pastors in the next town over taught me. It's almost like a prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept what I cannot change, the tenacity to change what I may, and the good luck not to fuck up too often.”

“What kind of pastor swears in a prayer?” Toby wondered aloud.

Frollo answered dryly, “The kind who has heard too many teenagers confessing to ‘skinning their sausage.’”

Kristoff cracked up. Elsa suppressed a grin. Toby and Anna joined in laughing, but were interrupted by Flo placing Anna’s shake on the counter. “Any of you want anything?” Anna asked, sipping her shake.

Elsa said, “I'll take a coffee, if you don't mind.”

“Cup of mud!” Flo shouted. She then turned to Toby. “You?”

“Cheeseburger and a root beer.”

“C.B and a Prohibition!” Flo barked. She finally turned to Kristoff. “And you, handsome?”

“I'll have what he's having.”

“‘Nother C.B. and Prohibition!” Flo then turned to see them all giving her odd looks. “What?”

Kristoff snorted. “Hey, I just want to know if I can smoke in here.”

‘Course. As for the rest of y’all, why’re you giving me them looks?”

“It’s just...I’ve never heard phrases like those before.”

“Well, kid, it’s what we call ‘hash house lingo’ back where I’m from. We use it to make orders easy to remember.”

Frollo snorted. “The Prohibition one is accurate. It was still going on when I was young. My father would often drink root beer, cursing the taste as he did. He didn't believe in bootlegging or going to speakeasies, so he dealt with the lack of booze by drinking root beer.”

“You learn something new every day.” said Anna. “Anyway, what’s there to do here?”

“Anything, really.” said Flo. “A lot of the kids here enjoy surfing or hot rodding. See, Frollo?! Ya gotta be up with the times if you wanna get religion into those teen heads!”

Frollo looked down at his hands. Elsa noticed something, then: Each of his hands was missing a finger. They were shaking. “Um, Pastor Frollo?” Toby asked. “Are you alright?”

“My son would like it here. He loves the ocean…”

“He has a son?” Toby asked. Flo nodded.

“He doesn’t like talking about it. There’s an urban legend goin’ ‘round saying he’s got a monster up in the church bell tower. I don’t believe it.”

Frollo said, “I have...had...two. One of them lives with me. The other got shot in the head in Korea eleven years ago.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” said Toby. “I never knew my parents. I’m adopted.”

Frollo nodded, looking at Elsa. “You are wondering about my fingers, right?”

She nodded hesitantly. He sighed. “Flo?”

“He lost ‘em in the war. Nazis.”

“One of them got shot off. The other I lost while fighting an enemy soldier hand-to-hand. He had a knife. I didn't.” Kristoff, Toby, and Anna winced. Elsa felt a bit nauseous. Frollo sipped his coffee, silent. The rest of the diner visit passed without a word. When they left, Toby stared at Anna and Elsa. Elsa looked at him.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

She raised a brow. “Toby…”

“It’s nothing.”

“Come on. Talk to me, little brother.”

“What were my real parents like?”

Elsa hesitated, before replying, “They...weren't the nicest people.”

“They weren’t…?”

She looked at Anna. “Do you want to tell him, or should I?”

“You should.”

“Your father...well, he turned out to be the serial killer known as “The Snow Hunter” in local newspapers. Your mother helped him cover up his murders.” Toby just looked at her in horror. She nodded slowly.

“Do you remember when the Snow Hunter was on the loose, Anna? We couldn't go outside to play.”

“Yeah…”

“The police found you in the basement of his house while they were searching it, Toby. Mom and dad..well, they adopted you as soon as they saw you in the orphanage. They wanted to have another child, you see. Give Anna a little brother or sister to play with. Unfortunately, mom nearly died giving birth to Anna, so they were unwilling to try having a child the natural way again.”

“...I think he needs time to process this.” said Anna. Elsa nodded, taking money out of her purse.

“Kristoff, would you mind taking Toby to the beach and buying him an ice cream or something? He opens up more to you about some things, so…”

Kristoff nodded, and did as she asked. Once they got to the beach, Toby sat at one of the stools at the ice cream stand. Kristoff sat next to him.

“You alright, kid?”

“Yeah...it’s just...this is all hard to take in.”

“I bet.”

Kristoff was silent for a minute, then he said, “Don't look now, but there's a girl in a bikini coming over here.”

Indeed, there was. She was a redhead, with tanned skin, freckles, and light green eyes. She was soaking wet, water dripping off her as she walked over to the ice cream stand.

“Hey, Charles. Get me my usual, would you?” she said.

“Right away, Ariel.” Charles said.

“Hey.” Toby greeted.

She snapped her fingers. “My eyes are up here, friend.” Toby looked at her, and sheepishly grinned. Ariel chuckled a bit. “What's your name?”

“T-Toby.” he stammered. “You?”

“Ariel. Ariel Clearwater. Nice to meet you, Toby.”

“Toby Jones. This is my...brother, I guess you could say, Kristoff. I’m...adopted.”

Kristoff grinned, tipping an invisible hat. “Charmed, m’lady.”

Ariel giggled. “Oh, I'm flattered.” Before Toby could say anything further, a car resembling a red and white Plymouth Fury drove up, its driver a handsome man with big muscles, black hair, and blue eyes. He wore a red shirt and brown pants, a surfboard in the back seat. Out he stepped, followed by a much shorter fellow.

“Oh. Hello, Gaston.” Charles greeted flatly. “...And Lefou.”

“Hey, Charlie.” Gaston replied, his tone full of...something. “Get me a hot fudge sundae. And make it snappy!” He then turned to Ariel. “Hey, surfer girl.”

She suppressed a groan, before smiling weakly. “Hello, Gaston.”

“How’s about you and I go cruising later in ol’ Christine?”

“You know, there are a lot of words in the English language, but there are none that can possibly express how much I want to beat you with this stool, you smug, egotistical dipshit.”

“...Lefou, translate! I don’t speak nerd.”

“...She wants to beat you up.” At this Gaston snarled.

“Think you can beat me up? Listen, doll, your daddy may own this beach, but I run it. So you can’t do shit.” Toby looked at Kristoff, panicking. Kristoff lit a cigarette, exhaling smoke.

“I've seen your type before, kid.”

“Kid?! I am no kid, buddy. I’m the greatest guy to have ever lived: GASTON!”

Kristoff stood up. Considering he was six and a half feet tall, he towered over Gaston.

“You ever hunted bear, Gaston? Bears aren't stupid. They can hunt you just as easy as you hunt them. Fortunately for me, I'm good at it. This coat? Bear skin. I don't think it'll take as much effort to skin you as it would to skin a bear, but I'm more than happy to find out.”

“You don’t scare me.” Gaston said. “Tell him, Lefou.”

“Yeah!” the lackey replied. “Gaston has won the local surf contest 2 years in a row!”

Ariel muttered, “Yeah, because his daddy is one of the judges…”

“QUIET YOU!” Gaston roared.

“Hey.” Toby said. “Don’t talk to any woman like that.”

“Oh, yeah, shrimp? What are you gonna do about it?”

Elsa spoke from behind him. “I'd be less worried about what he will do, and more worried about what I will do.”

“You?” Gaston asked, turning around. “Pssh.”

“Toby?”

“She has a gun. I advise running before you get a bullet in your butt.”

Elsa snorted. “I don't need my gun.”

She then kneed Gaston hard in the gut. He fell, clutching his stomach. “That,” said Toby to Ariel. “Is my sister. Isn’t she cool?”

She nodded, grinning. “I like your family already.” Gaston headed back into his car and drove off with Lefou. How ironic, as his sundae was already prepared. Charles offered it to Elsa, who took it gratefully, sitting down. “How much do I owe you?”

“Nothing. It's on the house. Gaston is nothing but a pesky brat. I'm glad you got rid of him.”

She smiled. “No problem. My father was the one who taught me how to fight, you know.”

“We’re from Alaska.” Toby said. Charles said, surprised, “No kidding? We don't see people from that far north down here very often.”

“We moved here because we’re trying to get away from our pasts.”

“Ah. To be honest, that's why most people move here.”

Toby sighed, still eating his ice cream. “Surfing looks so fun…” he observed.

Ariel grinned. “You kidding? I can't get enough of it.”

“I wish I could surf…”

She then took his hand, pulling him toward the beach. Toby was surprised, blushing heavily. Hopefully she didn’t notice.

“Looks like someone’s in summer love.” Kristoff said to Elsa. She nodded, eating the sundae. She was no longer in a dress. Instead, she wore a light blue bikini, sunglasses, and sandals. As Toby was being dragged along the beach, he felt something he just couldn’t explain. Was it...love at first sight?

Elsa watched Ariel begin teaching Toby how to surf, smiling a bit. “He's in love. I can tell. That's the same I used to look at…”

She trailed off, blushing a bit and looking down. Kristoff playfully nudged her.  Elsa quietly finished her thought, “...Maria. That's the way I used to look at Maria.”

Kristoff nodded, then whispered, “Don’t let anyone else know. They’ll lock you up.”

She leaned against him, closing her eyes. “You make a really comfortable pillow…”

“Thanks.”

Meanwhile, on the beach, Toby lay flat on his belly, looking at Ariel. “So, I just wait for a wave to come?”

She nodded. “Yeah, pretty much.” Toby waited for a while, then watched as a wave came. He immediately stood up on the board, and tried riding the wave. Ariel watched. He rode for a bit, then stumbled as he wiped out. Ariel cracked up.

“Good job!” she called, giving him a thumbs up when he surfaced.

Toby coughed, a bit of water coming out of him. “Thanks.”

She snorted at him completely missing the sarcasm. “Come back to shore.” Toby did, swimming until he felt the soft sand on his palms. She gestured for him to sit beside her. Toby sat next to Ariel, looking at the sky.

“You fell because you weren't centered on the board. You were leaning too far right.”

“Ah. Gotta work on my form.”

“Yep.”  Before Toby could answer, a blonde girl in a light blue bikini, which matched her eyes, ran up to Ariel.

“Ariel, it’s so good to see you!” the girl, named Cinderella, or Cindy for short, said. “How’ve you been? And who’s that cutie next to you?”

“Life is good, and he's Toby.”

“Hey.” Toby said, waving. Cinderella waved back.

“I’m Cinderella,” she said. “But you can call me Cindy. Ariel does.”

Ariel nodded. “The only person who calls her by her full name is my father, for whatever reason.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“So, Ariel’s teaching you to surf?” she asked. Toby nodded. Ariel snorted.

“He's a work in progress.”

“Hey, I tried.” Toby said. She chuckled.

“Yep, you did. Anyway, how you been, Cindy?”

“The sisters and my bitch of a stepmom have been working me to the bone. The usual.”

Ariel frowned. “You could always stay with us. My father has offered more than once.”

“I would, but then who’d support my sisters?”

“After the way they've treated you, I honestly don't care.”

“Doesn’t seem like you have a happy home life.” Toby said.

“I don’t.” Cinderella said.

“And yet, she still loves her sisters. Which is why she won't leave.”

“You have like, what, six other sisters? You’re lucky, Ariel.”

“Lucky? Two of them go through boyfriends like an alcoholic goes through beers, one is a stoner and another ran away. Only two of my sisters are what you'd call ‘normal.’”

After a pause, she asked, “Well, what about you, Toby? Tell us about your family.”

Toby looked at both of them, and said, “My family’s alright. Two wonderful sisters who love and care for me, a badass brother, and a sweet little German Shepherd.”

Ariel grinned, telling Cinderella, “One of those sisters kneed Gaston in the gut.”

“Damn. Good for her. Gaston’s an asshole.”

Ariel looked back towards the ice cream stand. Elsa was leaning against Kristoff, asleep. Toby looked at her. Elsa snored softly. Ariel smiled.

“She looks so peaceful…”

“She does.”

“So, are those two dating?”

“No.”

“Hmmm. Surprising.”

“My brother’s already taken by my other sister anyway.”

“Ah. So they're like brother and sister, not boyfriend and girlfriend.”

“Exactly, Ariel.”

“Is she dating anyone?”

“Nah. Elsa’s not the dating kind.”

“Ah. I'm sure she's disappointed a lot of boys. Just like Cindy here.”

“Shut up, Ariel…” she said. “I just haven’t found the One yet.”

“Oh, right. You're the romantic, true-love type.”

“Well, what does that make you, huh?”

“Me?”

“Yeah, you.”

“I want to find love, yes, but I don't believe in that whole “one true love” bullshit.”

“Well, then, smart girl, what do you believe in?”

“I believe,” Ariel said. “that love is a wonderful thing that everyone can experience. Even if they are not attracted to the opposite gender.” Cinderella just shook her head.

“You’ve got crazy ideas, Ariel.”

“Do I? We're all people, aren't we? Why should we judge others because they love differently than we do?”

“Because the Bible says so.”

“Funny. I missed that Bible verse where Christ said, ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself...except for queers.’”

“You did.” Cinderella snarked. Ariel snorted.

“And what if I told you I was queer? How would you take that?”

“We both know you’re not. I’d say you would need to hide it unless you wanted to be locked up.”

Ariel snorted. “God bless this country. Negroes are being hung from trees like Christmas ornaments, people are calling for civil rights, and there's a Catholic in the White House. Things are certainly changing.”

“I’m sorry for coming from a more conservative upbringing. Happy?”

This conversation was certainly awkward for Toby to listen to, considering Elsa was a ‘queer.’

“Umm...uhhh...I’m gonna go get more ice cream!” he said. Ariel didn't answer him. She sighed.

“Look, it's too beautiful a day to be debating politics. Let's just agree to disagree.”

“...All right.” Cinderella replied.

Elsa woke up when Toby reached the ice cream stand. She yawned, then said, “Oh, hello, Toby.”

“Hey.” Toby said. “Sleep well?”

“As a matter of fact, I did.”

“Good.”

Meanwhile, a few blocks over, Frollo was doing something he really disliked: Teaching a theology class. He disliked it because it meant teaching a group of bored teenagers about the nature of God, and religion in general. He started off by asking, “Alright, show of hands: Who in here believes in God?” Everyone did.

“Who in here believes God is good?” Another show of all hands.

“Alright. Now, who in here believes evil exists in some form?”

“COMMIES!” someone shouted. Frollo nodded. “What other evils exist?”

Several hands shot up. He picked a student at random.

“Um...uhhh…” the student said, nervous. “...Greasers?”

Frollo said reassuringly, “There are no wrong answers. I just want your opinions. Someone else?”

“The...monster in the bell tower?” Uh-oh.

Frollo slammed his fist into the desk in front of him. “MY SON IS NOT A MONSTER!”

“Whoa, hey, man...calm down…” the student said. “I didn’t know…”

Frollo chuckled bitterly. “Another show of hands: How many in here think I'm boring, stale, old, whatever?” The response was everyone.

“Why do we have to take a summer class on theology, anyway?!” someone asked.

Frollo sat down. “Do you think I enjoy teaching this class? I don't. I would rather be spending time with my son, but no, I'm stuck here, teaching a bunch of teenagers who wouldn't give a shit if I started tap-dancing on the desk.”

“Well, then, go spend time with your freak of a son! I’m out!”

Frollo looked down at his hands, before speaking quietly and sadly, “I used to have three sons, you know. Three wonderful little boys, though they grew up at different times.”

“...” The student sat back down quietly.

“My oldest, Isaac, was the best son any father could ask for. He was smart, strong, compassionate, brave...which is why, when President Truman decided to send young men to die in a little country called Korea, he enlisted without question. I begged him not to go, told him what war does to a man, but he wouldn't listen. He smiled before he left. ‘Don't worry, pa.’ He said. ‘I'll be back before you and ma know it.’ Those were the last words he ever said to me. About a year later, my wife and I got a knock at our door in the middle of the night. We were told that our son had been shot in the head by a Korean marksman. My wife fainted, and I...well, I guess you could say I left for a little while. I came to in a hospital bed. I was told I had started crying and punching the wall until my fingers snapped. I didn't remember that. Still don't.”

“...What about your other two?” another student asked.

“Ah, yes. Little Josiah. He and Isaac were twins, with Isaac being a bit older. Josiah...well, he always tried to see the good in everyone. He didn't understand why whites hated blacks, why the Nazis gassed the Jews, why wars happen. He joined the civil rights movement when he was about 23, which didn't surprise me. I knew the dangers, but I hoped, prayed, that God would spare him, after Isaac had died so violently. My prayers went unanswered. About three months after he left for Alabama, I learned that three Klansmen had burned him and the group of activists he was with alive by firebombing their bus. Little Josiah...I hope he found his peace, in a better world than this.

Now, my final son...the ‘monster in the bell tower.’ Quasimodo, his name is. Laugh if you want, but I didn't name him. I adopted him after my wife died. She followed Isaac to the grave, never quite getting over the shock. I found Quasi in the arms of his mother, who was standing outside the church, begging me to take him in. She clearly didn't expect me to, undoubtedly having been turned away already. I took the little bundle into my arms, and said I would raise him like my own. I have kept my word, taking care of him despite his...unique appearance.”

“So that’s why you keep him in the bell tower?”

Frollo nodded, sighing. “If any of you wish to leave, go right ahead. I won't stop you.” Most wasted no time in leaving.

Frollo rested his head on his hands, exhaling. “I hoped my story would sway them…” he muttered, a bit of sadness in his voice.

“We’re sorry, Pastor Frollo.” a black-haired young man, Eric, said. “You have our sympathy.”

“A real pity they left, because I have war stories to tell, which I know would have entertained the boys and disgusted the girls.”

“War stories, sir?”

He could still hear the students who had left out in the hallway, gathering their things. He nodded, speaking a bit louder than needed, “Yes. I fought in Europe, you see. I saw a lot of crazy shit over there.”

“What kind?”

“Oh, tank battles, aerial dogfights, fortresses being stormed...nothing any teenage boy would be interested in, I'm sure.” Several boys stopped, and looked back. Frollo began telling stories of his time at war, and, soon enough, he had a full class again.

Meanwhile, Elsa had decided to sunbathe. She lay on a towel, looking up the sky. Toby, meanwhile, was trying to surf again. He was getting better, that much showed. Ariel surfed alongside him, laughing into the wind. Cinderella decided she’d follow Elsa’s example, and sunbathed. Kristoff sat in the shade. The sun had never agreed with him, and he always got sunburned really easily. Toby soon wiped out again, and swam back to shore. Elsa grinned, turning towards Cinderella.

“Hello. I saw you talking with my brother earlier. I'm Elsa.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m Cinderella, but everyone calls me Cindy. It’s shorter.”

“Well, hello, then, Cindy. How long you lived here?”

“All my life.”

“Is it as nice here as I've heard?”

“Of course. Our founders, Walt and Roy, set out to live up to the town motto.”

Elsa breathed a sigh of relief. “Good. My family needs a place to relax and recover from what has happened recently.”

“I’d ask, but that’s probably too sensitive of a topic.”

Elsa looked away, before exhaling. “For some reason I can't even fathom, I trust you quite a bit. The reason we moved here is that our parents drowned at sea.”

Cindy immediately had a look of sympathy. She knew exactly how Elsa felt. “...I’m so, so, sorry.”

“You've lost your own, haven't you?”

“...My father.”

“I'm sorry. Truly.”

“It’s alright.” Cindy said. “Are you looking for work at all?”

“Not yet. We just arrived today.”

“I ask, because Mr. Disney…” Cindy said. “...yes, that Mr. Disney, our founder Walt, is looking for a secretary.”

“It's either secretary or waitress, isn't it?” Elsa asked, more than a little bitter.

“Not waitress.” Cindy joked. “Flo has all the help she needs.” She then noticed Elsa’s tone. “...I’m sorry, but in this day and age, women don’t have too many opportunities.”

“And we just roll over like the docile bitches men seem convinced we are, content with the limitations.”

“Mr. Disney pays very well.” Cindy said, trying to change the subject. Elsa looked at her.

“How well?”

“We’re talking double the normal salary per month.”

Elsa thought about it, before saying, “I'll take the job.”

“Right. My stepmother knows Mr. Disney pretty well, as much as I hate to say it.”

Elsa nodded once, looking up at the sky again. “It is a beautiful day.”

“It is, isn’t it?”

Elsa glanced at Cindy for a moment, taking in her beauty. She blushed a bit, turning away quickly. Cindy didn’t notice. She just watched Toby and Ariel surf. Elsa deciding on something, getting up. She grabbed a surfboard of her own, walking into the water and starting to paddle toward an incoming wave. Cindy watched, intrigued. Kristoff did, too, wondering when Elsa would wipe out.

Much to his surprise, she rode the wave perfectly. As Toby and Ariel went past her, Toby began to...sing:

If everybody had an ocean

Across the USA

Then everybody'd be surfin'

Like Californ-i-a

You'd see 'em wearing their baggies

Huarache sandals too

A bushy, bushy blonde hairdo

Surfin' USA.”

Upon seeing Ariel and Elsa enjoying it, he continued, the girls providing backup vocals:

You'll catch 'em surfin' at Del Mar (Inside, outside, USA)

Ventura County line (Inside, outside, USA)

Santa Cruz and Trestle (Inside, outside, USA)

Australia's Narrabeen (Inside, outside, USA)

All over Manhattan (Inside, outside, USA)

And down Doheny Way (Inside, outside, USA)

Everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

We'll all be planning out a route

We're gonna take real soon

We're waxin' down our surfboards

We can't wait for June

We'll all be gone for the summer

We're on safari to stay

Tell the teacher we're surfin'

Surfin' USA

At Haggerty's and Swami's (Inside, outside, USA)

Pacific Palisades (Inside, outside, USA)

San Onofre and Sunset (Inside, outside, USA)

Redondo Beach, L.A. (Inside, outside, USA)

All over La Jolla (Inside, outside, USA)

At Waiamea Bay (Inside, outside, USA)

Everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

Everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

Everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

Everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

Yeah, everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA

Yeah, everybody's gone surfin'

Surfin' USA!”

Elsa promptly said once they finished, “I hate that song.”

“Sorry, I felt like singing.” He then turned to Ariel. “What’d you think?”

She chuckled. “You don't have a bad voice, I'll give you that.”

“Thanks.”

Elsa swam back to shore. She could see Anna walking towards the beach. She waved. Anna waved back, as Toby followed Elsa. Ariel did the same, walking over to Cindy and sitting next to her. “Isn’t it nice today?” Cindy asked.

“It is. It's good to meet new people, isn't it?”

“It is. It may just be me, but I think Toby likes you.” she teased. Ariel rolled her eyes.

“Yeah. Just like every other boy who comes to this beach.”

“Yeah. But you’ll find your guy one day, I guess.”

Ariel laid down, looking at Cindy. “You get a lot of admirers yourself, you know.”

“Yeah, I do. But like I said earlier, I’m trying to find the One.”

“I'm sure you will, one day.”

“Thanks, Ariel.”

Ariel hugged her, smiling. “Of course! You're my best friend.”

“And you’re my best friend. And I think, for the both of us, Toby will be too.”

“I hope so.”

“He’s a great surfer already.”

“Between you and me? His sister impressed me more.”

“She’s a natural. You gave Toby one of your old boards, right? ‘Cause I think he took it with him.”

“...Son of a bitch.”

Cindy looked at Ariel, knowing that look. “I’m sure he doesn’t know it’s yours, Ariel. Calm down.”

“Of course he doesn't, but that was a birthday gift from Dad last year. It was made special.”

“Well then, go get it back before it’s too late!”

Ariel did, running over to where Toby was. Toby saw Ariel, and smiled. “Oh, hey! You’re just in time to meet my other sister.” he said. “This is Anna. Anna, Ariel.”

Ariel turned to her. “Hello, Anna.”

“Hello. It’s nice to meet you, Ariel.” She then noticed the look in Ariel’s eyes. “...Something wrong?”

“Toby...where's that board I let you use?”

“In the car. Why?”

“I don't recall telling you that it was okay to take it.” Toby immediately slapped himself, groaning.

“Ugh...I’m so sorry!” he said, rushing to get the board out and back to Ariel. “I had no idea!”

She said, “Oh, it's alright. I should have told you it was mine. Hell, if it was one of my other boards, I likely wouldn't have cared, but this one was a gift from my Dad.”

“Ah, OK.” Toby said, handing it back to her. “Well, it’s my fault for not asking.”

She was about to say something else, before she saw a man walking towards them. He was wearing a suit, and had a long, flowing beard. She ran towards him.

“DAD!”

“This is your father, I presume?” Anna asked.

She nodded, hugging her father. “It's good to see you, Dad!”

“It is good to see you too, Ariel. Come along, it’s time to go home.”

She sighed. “Aww...alright. Bye, everyone! It was nice meeting you!”

“Bye, Ariel!” said Toby. “Have a good summer!”

She laughed as she walked beside her father. “You know I will!”

They both soon disappeared. Meanwhile, Frollo was still telling stories. Anyone who peeked in would have seen the middle-aged pastor leaning over his desk, miming the aiming of a sniper rifle.

“So, there we were, walking through the German countryside. Now, no one had told the SS that the war was lost, so they kept on picking us off. They were very good snipers. I have one of the rifles they would use at home. If you're good with it, you can take out at least ten enemy soldiers in less than a minute. Anyone care to guess what my job was?”

“...Sniper?” Eric guessed.

“Yes. I was supposed to eliminate those marksman before they could take out American troops. I may not look like it, but I'm a very good shot. Anyway, we soon came upon a small town. It was a paradise for snipers, so I was sent to the top of the local church bell tower to keep an eye out. It wasn't long before I saw sunlight glinting off a scope. I took aim and fired. It took me a moment t realize I had shot a drinking glass. A moment after that realization, a shot cracked, hitting the wall inches from my face. I will freely admit to pissing myself after that. What followed was a ten minute game of cat and mouse. I would fire…”

He liked firing a shot. “...then he would fire…”

He rolled out of the way of an imaginary bullet. “...and so on. I quickly grew to respect the other sniper. He was smart. Very smart. He set up decoys, using discarded helmets, making them move just enough for me to fire. I eventually won, after the most gruelling ten minutes of my life, by managing to shoot him through his scope.”

Silence, then he asked, “Anyone still bored?”

“We aren’t bored.” a student said. “But isn’t it time for class to be dismissed?”

“He has a point, Pastor.” Eric said.

“Oh, it is. ‘I'll see you all tomorrow.” he said, knowing that none of them would come back tomorrow. All the students left, Eric being the only one remaining.

“Thank you for the stories, Pastor. Semper fidellis.” he said, then left. Frollo noticed a girl sitting at a desk in the back of the room. She had dark skin and long black hair. He walked over.

Is something the matter? You can leave if you like.”

The girl, Esmeralda, said nothing. She was discriminated against constantly due to her Romani heritage. “...Your stories, Pastor...why must men fight?”

He thought about it. “Have you read about the bombing of Pearl Harbor?”

“Of course. It only happened 20 or so years ago.” she said. “You can thank miss Belle for that.”

“Reading about it in a book is one thing. Imagine waking up the day it happened, seeing in the newspaper that hundreds of pilots and sailors were dead. Imagine hearing the president call for war with Japan, imploring Congress to issue a declaration. Imagine being one of the thousands of young boys clamoring to fight, wanting to hurt the enemy just as bad as they hurt us. Imagine hearing that not only were we at war with Japan, but Germany, too. I remember all of that. I signed up, and was sent over with the first wave of men heading to fight the Nazis. I fought through North Africa, France, Belgium and finally, Germany itself. I saw the camps, caught a glimpse of what men are capable of. I prayed for a long time after that, both for the victims, and the souls of the men who had done it. They deserved to be condemned by man, but that didn't mean they needed to suffer the same from God.”

“...I’m so sorry, Pastor Frollo.”

“Don't be. You are of Romani heritage, yes?”

“Yes, but what does that have to do with anything?”

“I saw a large number of people of your ethnicity in those camps, either naked and starving...or rotting in a ditch. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that we in this country condemn the Nazis while taking part in discrimination ourselves is the worst form of hypocrisy.”

“Agreed. God help the outcasts, I like to say.”

He smiled. “What's your name, child?”

“Esmeralda.”

“Do you attend church, Esmeralda? Or are you too afraid of being picked on to go?”

“I’m afraid, Pastor Frollo. Especially of Gaston and his cronies.”

“I have a service to lead tonight. I will escort you to it myself, if you like.”

“Thank you. I’d like that.”

Frollo was true to his word. He arrived at her house twenty minutes before the service, knocking at the door. She opened the door, and smiled. He smiled back.

“Are you ready to go?”

“Yes, Pastor. Thank you.”

He nodded, starting to walk towards the church. “Come on, then.” Esmeralda followed him with hesitation. As Frollo expected, they ran into Gaston and his lackeys on the way there.

“Hey, Frodo.” Gaston greeted, having heard the name in some book Belle read and deciding he liked it as an insult. “Never knew you were into younger women, especially Gyps.”

Frollo could see Esmeralda was about to start crying. He stood tall, staring Gaston down.

“It's funny, really. You remind me of a group of men I met twenty years ago.”

“Oh, really? Did you work your ‘holy’ book on them, or did they kick your ass?”

“Neither. I emptied their skulls from half a mile away. I was a sniper, you see.” Several of Gaston’s goons, especially Lefou, backed away, but Gaston was too full of pride.

“You, an old geezer who keeps a...thing...in his bell tower, calling it his son, were a sniper?! HA!”

“I also killed several elite SS stormtroopers in hand to hand combat, burned down a bunker with nothing but a tank of gasoline and a book of matches, and assassinated five high-ranking Nazi officers. You think I am defenseless? Try hitting me.” Gaston accepted that challenge, his arm going towards Frollo.

Frollo caught it, holding it in place. He turned to the others. “Now, there are seven working defenses from this position. Three incapacitate with minimal contact. Three kill. The last one…”

He wrenched Gaston’s arm at an unnatural angle. “...hurts.” Gaston screamed. In his office, Mayor Walt Disney looked up from his paperwork for a brief moment, then shrugged it off. Frollo let Gaston go. The arm was unbroken, and the pain lasted only for a few moments after Frollo let go, save for a dull ache. Gaston and his lackeys, aside from Lefou (who looked very apologetic), got back into Christine. Before he could say anything, Lefou was dragged back in, and Gaston drove off.

Frollo sighed, looking at Esmeralda. “Thank you.” she whispered. He took her hand in his, holding it until they got to the church. The crowd of people attending was huge, with just about everyone in town showing up. Even Toby, Elsa, and Anna showed up, with Toby having decided he’d be a choir boy.

Frollo, however, was angry and disgusted. He started off by saying, his voice filled with eerie tranquility, “I am doing things a bit differently tonight. Members of the choir, you may be seated.” Toby let out a disappointed sigh, and sat.

Frollo asked, clearly wanting people to call out answers, “What is the worst evil in this country right now?”

“COMMIES!” Roy Disney, co-founder of the town, and Mayor Walt’s brother, shouted.

“DAMN RIGHT!” The same student who had said the same thing in Frollo’s class shouted.

Others ranged from racial slurs to JFK himself, from queers to Negroes. Toby just sighed, and put his head in his hands. Frollo silenced them all when he spoke.

“The worst evil in this country is discrimination...in any form.”

“Can you explain, for those of us who are ill-informed?” Eric asked.

“Anyone who despises and harasses Jews, Gypsies, Negroes, homosexuals, the disabled...well, to put it bluntly, they're no better than the Nazis I spent four years killing.” Shouts of anger came from all sides. Frollo said calmly, his tone leaving no room for argument, “Silence.” The noise died down quickly.

“I teach a theology class, in case any of you don't know. Today, after almost of all my students left, one stayed behind. She is a member of one of the groups  many of you seem to enjoy tormenting. She was scared of coming here tonight, terrified she would be picked on or even attacked. Let me ask this: What kind of man attacks a young girl, all because of an attribute she herself didn't choose?”

“What makes a monster...and what makes a man?” Clopin, an old local puppeteer, asked back. “That is what the pastor is asking!” No answers, as if the town was deep in thought.

“Exactly!” said Flo, standing up. “I came from the South so I could escape discrimination. They called me a ‘black-lover’, to not use a certain word.”

Elsa spoke up, reciting a line from an old poem, “O human race, born to fly upward, wherefore at a little wind dost thou so fall?”

Belle, a brunette girl in a blue dress, stood up. “I’m not well-liked because I’m a girl who reads books. But you know what? I don’t care what you think, I can read as much as I please.”

Elsa debated with herself, before saying, quietly, “I'm attracted to women, not men…”

This sent shockwaves through the congregation. Some accepted her, others called for her to be tossed in the funny farm. Kristoff stood.

“The first man who tries, I'll break your arms.” Anna stood up with him, as did Toby.

“You attack our sister, you gotta go through us.”

Elsa stood up, as well. “You all want to know something?”

“What's that?” Roy asked. He was one of the ones to defend Elsa. She smiled.

“I've wanted to say this for my whole life! All of you don't like it can kiss my ass.” Gasps from the crowd, even from the supporters. Elsa merely smiled wider. A redheaded man in a brown jacket stood up. The overweight, mustacioed black man sitting next to him also rose.

“My name is Timon.” the redhead said. “You might know my best pal Pumbaa as one of the cheapest car dealers and mechanics in town. You know why that is? He can’t get good job opportunities due to his race.” To twist in the knife further, he said, “I’m homosexual, I admit it. But you know what? I don’t care. Pumbaa isn’t like me, but he and I are the best dads ever to our adopted son Simba. Yeah, we live a carefree lifestyle and live on greens, but you don’t discriminate against us for that, do you? No! Call us crazy, call us liberals, call us whatever you want! But as long as you don’t bother us, we won’t bother you, mmkay?”

Frollo still hadn't said a word. This, obviously, irritated the ones who discriminated against the groups whose members were speaking up.

“Well, aren’t you gonna say anything?” Timon urged him.

“I admire your courage, Timon.”

“Thank you, Pastor.”

“As do I.” Triton Clearwater, Ariel’s father, said. “My daughter is very accepting of everyone, because I taught her those things.” He then narrowed his eyes. “If any of you go after her, you will have to deal with me, a powerful businessman.”

Walt Disney himself spoke, “And me. Triton and I are very old friends. I'm practically Ariel’s uncle. Any of you hurt her, in any way...well, you won't find this town to be happy any longer.”

“We created this community as a way for everyone to live peacefully.” Roy said.

“...I question that.” someone said. “You’ve expressed views that aren’t very appropriate in these days.”

Walt asked pleasantly, “Like…?”

“Anti-semitic views!”

Frollo rolled his eyes. “People in town paint swastikas on Jewish homes, and you're complaining about a few comments made in the past?”

“...” The person sat back down. Walt stood.

“I know about the little Ku Klux Klan meeting place on the edge of town. That shuts down. Tomorrow.”

“And, until anti-discrimination laws are passed nationwide,” said Roy. “Walt and I will ensure they are passed right here in town.”

Frollo said, “Otherwise, we might as well change the message on the sign.”

He began reciting from the same poem Elsa had quoted earlier, “I am the way into the city of woe.
I am the way to a forsaken people.
I am the way into eternal sorrow.
Sacred Justice moved my architect.
I was raised here by divine omnipotence,
Primordial love and ultimate intellect.
Only those elements Time cannot wear
Were made before me, and beyond Time I stand.
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.”

“Dante.” said Belle. He nodded.

“You're smarter than people give you credit for, Belle.”

“Thank you, Pastor.”

Then, as it was Frollo’s luck, Gaston and his cronies entered, clearly having overheard the whole discussion.

“Oh, boy…” Belle groaned in frustration. “What do you want?”

Frollo said, “Yes, Gaston. What do you want?”

“I just wanna tell all of you that this is MY town. No homos are gonna live their happy crappy little lives here.”

Elsa merely grinned, looking at Timon. “You hear that? This is HIS town! HIS, I tell you!”

“Sooo scary.” said Timon. “I’m becoming nervous pudding just hearin’ that!”

“...Gaston…” sighed Roy. “...This isn’t your town. How many times must I say it?”

Elsa said, looking at him, “I can't say, mister. He's got a pretty hard head.”

“HEY! SHUT YOUR MOUTH, GIRLIE!” Gaston roared. “BEFORE I-”

“...Before you what? Go on, Gaston, let’s hear it.” said Roy.

“BEFORE I GIVE HER WHAT SHE DESERVES!” Gaston shouted, finally losing it.

Several guns could be heard cocking. Frollo, Walt, Kristoff, and Pumbaa were all aiming at him, holding revolvers. “I suggest ya step away from the lady.” Pumbaa said. “Otherwise, I’ll ask Mater over there to repo Christine. That, and you’ll get an ass full of birdshot.”

Kristoff said calmly, “If you want to know one thing about me, know this: I'll kill to defend my family. Elsa is family. Get it?” Gaston nodded, knowing that he was outmatched.

“And,” said Roy. “I will ask Sheriff Phoebus to arrest you.”

The sheriff, who was smoking a cigar near the back of the church, said, “I'll try not to beat you up too badly, kid.” Gaston ran back to his car, and drove off. Elsa, in the heat of the moment, walked over to Cinderella, pulling her into a kiss. Cinderella pulled away, a bit freaked out. Elsa blushed deeply, before running out of the church, covering her face with her hands. Toby and Anna ran after her. Kristoff did the same. They found her in a nearby alleyway, weeping into her hands.

“Elsa...shhhh…” Anna said, hugging her sister. “It’s OK…”

“I'm...such a fool...a freak…”

“Elsa...listen to me. No. You’re. Not.”

Elsa hugged her back tightly, continuing to sob. Toby joined his sisters in the hug. Elsa tried to speak, but couldn't through her tears. Toby dried them. Elsa whimpered.

“I'm sorry. I'm so sorry…”

“For what?”

“E-embarrassing you two…”

“Elsa...you didn’t do anything.”

“I...I kissed her. In front of everyone. Why did I do that? Why did I do it?”

“You were caught up in all the excitement.”

“She must hate me now…”

“I’m sure she doesn’t.”

Kristoff looked on with pity. He had never realized before just how little Elsa thought of herself. Elsa continued crying, hugging them both tighter. Toby began whisper-singing:

I may not always love you

But long as there are stars above you

You never need to doubt it

I'll make you so sure about it

God only knows what I'd be without you

If you should ever leave me

Though life would still go on believe me

The world could show nothing to me

So what good would living do me

If you should ever leave me

Well life would still go on believe me

The world could show nothing to me

So what good would living do me

God only knows what I'd be without you…

Elsa had finally stopped crying. Frollo had walked to where they were. He knelt down next to Elsa and said, “I would like to pray for you.”

She nodded. He took her hands in his, bowing his head. “Heavenly Father, I ask that You bring relief to this tormented soul. She has suffered more than she deserves, and is deeply lost and confused. I ask that, through Your grace and compassion, you show her the path you intend for her to walk. Father, I ask that she know a place where the innocent never suffer, the hungry never starve, and the lover never leaves. I pray that, if You are willing, You will ease her pain, and shine Your light upon her this night, and during all the nights and days to come. Amen.”

“A-amen.” Elsa whispered.

“Amen.” said Toby and Anna. Kristoff said nothing, but he did perform the sign of the cross. Frollo gently helped Elsa stand. “Come back inside, child. There are members of the congregation who want to speak with you.”

She nodded, following him hesitantly back inside the church. Toby followed, as did Anna and Kristoff. Elsa looked at the crowd, noticing many of them staring at her. “Don’t worry ‘bout nothin’.” said Timon.

A giggle could be heard, before a girl spoke, “Oh, she's back. Brave, really, showing her face here again.”

This was followed by a loud slap, before Ariel shouted, “Shut up!”

“Yeah, shut up!” Eric said.

The girl had her hand on her cheek, Elsa could see. She said, offended, “You agree with me, Cindy? Right? She did force herself on you…”

“While she did force herself, it’s none of my business. It was in the heat of the moment.”

Elsa looked at her feet. There was more to it than that, but she didn't say it aloud. Not long after, everyone went home, Elsa, Toby, Anna and Kristoff going to a small house they had bought before coming to town. Toby walked inside. “If it makes you feel any better, I feel something similar about Ariel.”

“We know, Toby.” Anna laughed. Elsa couldn't even manage a smile. She went to bed. Toby sighed. “I wish any of us could cheer her up.”

Kristoff sighed. “I'm sure you've both noticed she doesn't think very much of herself, right?”

“Yeah.”

“I feel sorry for her. She's beautiful in so many ways, but she doesn't see it.” Toby nodded.

“I’m going to bed too. Good night.”

Kristoff said, “Good night, Toby.”

The next day, Toby woke up and went downstairs for breakfast. Elsa sat at the table, a cup of coffee in her hand. Anna was making pancakes. “Morning, Toby.”

“Morning.”

Elsa smiled tiredly. “Sleep well?”

“Yep. You?”

She set down her cup of coffee, before she moved the hand she had been resting her head on, put her head on the table, and promptly started snoring. Toby shook his head, laughing. “So, what do you have planned for today, Anna?”

“Not too much. I’m just going to relax and watch television.”

Elsa mumbled to herself as she slept, continuing to snore. Kristoff gently picked her up and took her to her bed, before returning to the table. Toby kept eating his pancakes, and then asked for seconds, much to Anna’s amusement. “A growing boy needs his food, I guess.” she said, and handed him another stack.

A moment later, there was a knock at the door. Anna got it, and asked, “Hello?”

Mayor Disney stood at the door, dressed in a formal suit and wearing a hat. “May I come in?”

“Oh! Of course, Mayor Disney! I didn’t know you’d be coming, much less during breakfast!” Anna said, surprised. “Would you like some pancakes?”

He smiled warmly, stepping inside. “Thank you for offering, but I am not terribly hungry at the moment. A cup of coffee will do it for me, if you don't mind.” Anna nodded, and went to go brew more coffee. Toby boredly looked at Mayor Disney, chewing his pancakes slowly. Walt merely continued to smile.

“Hello, Mayor Disney. What brings you here?” he asked.

“I came here to speak with your sister, Elsa. Is she home?”

“Yes, but she’s asleep.” Toby said. “I would say come back later, but this is probably important.”

“It is, indeed. I don't wish to intrude, but it seems rather pointless to leave, before coming back later.”

“That’s true.” Toby said. “If it’s so important, then what is it?”

“I would prefer to wait until your sister herself is awake to hear it.” Toby nodded, as Anna came back with a cup of coffee. Walt took it, tipping his hat in thanks.

“Thank you, Ms. Fryse.”

“It’s no trouble. Anything for the mayor.”

“No need for formalities. You can call me Walt.”

“Oh, all right...Walt.” Anna said, as Sven went over and began sniffing at their guest. Walt smiled, rubbing the dog’s head. Soon after, Elsa entered the room, wearing a light blue robe. It took a few seconds for her to realize just who was sitting in their living room. When it clicked, her eyes widened.

“Uh....hello, there, Mayor Disney.” She said quietly, a bit embarrassed about wearing nothing but a robe. Walt simply smiled.

“Good morning, Elsa. Do you mind if I call you that?”

She shook her head, yawning into her arm. “Why are you here?”

“I came to offer you a job.” Walt answered pleasantly.

“What kind of job?” Toby asked. Walt noted his tone, picking up on the undisguised hostility in it.

“The plan was to have her as my secretary, but after seeing you stand firm in your convictions last night, I have a better position in mind for you.”

“Oh? And what is that?”

Walt answered, knowing that when it went public it would cause an uproar, “I wish for you to be my head of security.”

“Like a cop?” Toby asked.

“Essentially.  You, Elsa, will be in charge of my security detail, keeping both myself and the other important figures of this town safe from harm.”

Toby said nothing, the only sound coming from Sven panting happily. Kristoff said, “I hope you have considered just how many people this will piss off.”

“I have considered it, but if this town is to be a welcoming place, all forms of discrimination must be done away with.”

“This place does seem to be very progressive…” said Anna thoughtfully. “I think Elsa should take the job.”

Elsa accepted without question. Walt shook her hand. “Pleasure.”

With that, he left, whistling to himself. Toby looked at Elsa and smiled. “That was amazing how you got the job so easily!”

Elsa smiled, tears of joy welling in her eyes. “I'm so happy…”

“We are too, Elsa…” Anna said, hugging her. Kristoff patted her shoulder.

“Congratulations, Snow Queen.” He said, using an old nickname for her. Elsa chuckled. Toby got up from the table, joining in the hug. Elsa broke the hug soon after, wiping her eyes.

“After I finish eating, I’m gonna go out into town.” said Toby. Elsa nodded, sitting down to eat. The rest of breakfast was silent. When he was done with his second helping of pancakes, Toby headed out.

Frollo, meanwhile, went to see his son. He climbed the steps of the bell tower with a steady stride, holding a lantern, as there were no windows to let in sunlight. His son, 21-year old Quasimodo, smiled at him warmly. He had a severely hunched back, and was half-blind from a massive wart on his right eye.

Frollo returned the smile. “Hello, Quasi.”

“Hello, Papa.” Quasi replied. “Nice to see you.”

“I am sorry it has been so long since I have come up here. I hope the paint set I gave you has kept you occupied.”

“It has.” said Quasi, who showed Frollo some new paintings. Frollo smiled again.

“Good work! Very good work!”

“Thank you. Painting helps keep my mind off of being up here.”

“I hope you know that I only keep you up here to protect you.”

“I know you do. It’s just...some days, I want to go out and experience the beauty of the world.”

Frollo sighed sadly. “I wish the same, but men are cruel, Quasi. Most would think of you as a deformed freak.”

“...” Quasimodo said nothing, also sighing.

“...I have an idea. I will return shortly.”

Frollo left,  going to where Esmeralda lived. He knocked on her door. She opened the door and said, “Hello, Pastor.”

“Hello, Esmeralda. I came here to ask a favor of you.”

“Anything, Pastor. I never got to thank you for being so kind.”

“And you'll never have to. How could I call myself a man of God if I saw one of his little ones being tormented and did nothing to help?”

“You couldn’t. In any case, I’ll be happy to do you a favor.”

“...I would like you to meet my son, and possibly be his friend.”

“Gladly. I didn’t enjoy hearing others calling him a ‘monster.’”

Frollo smiled. “I'm glad to hear that. Come along, then.” Esmeralda followed him to the bell tower, astonished that the rumors were partly true. He led her up the stairs to the room where Quasimodo lived. Quasimodo turned and smiled at seeing Esmeralda, elated that he would finally have some company. Frollo left them alone, descending the steps of the bell tower and entering his study. He sat at his desk, pulling a bottle of cheap whiskey out of a drawer. He briefly thought about not drinking it, as it was pretty early in the day, but poured a glass anyway. His hands were shaking again. He was part way through his second glass when his phone rang. He picked it up.

“Hello?”

“Yes, is this Pastor Frollo?” came the voice on the other end.

“Yes. Who am I speaking to?”

“Jack Sparrow, mate.” Ah...the ex-Navy Captain who fought in Korea. He and Frollo were good friends, much to the surprise of many.

“Ah, hello, Jack. It's been awhile since we've talked. How are things?”

“Same ol’, same ol’. Staying at the bar, drinkin’ my days away.” the man replied. On the other end, Frollo could hear sounds of Jack drinking from a bottle of Jack Daniels.

“Ah, a man after my own heart. If I don't break out the booze by noon, I'm having a damn good day.”

“Ah, religious hypocrisy.” Jack laughed. “That’s why I like you, Frollo. At yer heart, you’re still a man who partakes in sin like all of us.”

“That's why I hate the Church as an organization. They pretend to be holier than the rest of us, while also fondling altar boys.”

“And that’s why I’m an atheist, see. I grew up in New Orleans in a religious family. Bible thumpers, they were. M’dad was a navy captain like I was.”

“I believe there is a God, but I don't think He cares very much about us anymore.”

“A jaded old bastard like yourself would think that, wouldn’t he?”

“After living as long as I have in a world where the good suffer and the evil prosper? Yes, I would. After seeing the camps the Nazis ran...I don't know what to think about God anymore.”

“Welcome to the club.” Jack said, taking another swig of whiskey before belching.

“Of course, if you wish to speak of sin...drinking is not the only vice I am, shall we say, struggling with.”

“Oh?”

“...Lust is the sin, and a young gypsy girl named Esmeralda is the object of it.”

“Ah...never knew you were the kind of man to chase young skirt.” Jack said with a laugh. “Believe me, I know that feelin’.”

Frollo took a long swig directly from the bottle. “God help me...I always used to despise those dirty old men. Now I am one.”

“What’re ya gonna do?”

“Well, what I want to do and what I should do are two separate things.”

“Got me there.”

The two men went silent for awhile, the only sound from either end being the sound of drinking. Eventually, Frollo ended the call, promising to talk to Jack later.

Meanwhile, Mayor Disney called a town meeting. The town gathered, some more reluctant than others. Toby sat in the front row of seats, Anna and Kristoff next to him. Elsa sat next to Anna. Sheriff Phoebus stood behind Walt, leaning against a wall. He was chewing on a wad of spitting tobacco, his arms crossed. Frollo sat near the stage, Esmeralda next to him.

Walt cleared his throat, then said, “I am sure you're all wondering why I called you here.” Silence from the crowd. Phoebus continued loudly chewing his tobacco, before spitting into a cup at his feet.

“Why?” someone asked from the crowd.

“Well, I have a few announcements to make. Firstly, every member of the local Ku Klux Klan chapter, stand up.” They did.

“Tell me your names, will you?” The names ranged from the Tremaines to Gaston’s own family.

“I want you all out of town by sunset tomorrow.”

‘Lady’ Tremaine and her daughters huffed. “Then who will boss around Cinderella?” they asked. Elsa turned towards them, before getting up from her seat, walking over, and, in full view of everyone in the room, spitting in each of their faces before sitting back down. “Why, I’d never-” said the Tremaine matriarch. “DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?”

“Yeah.” said Pumbaa. “You’re out of here.”

“Sure we do, you uptight twat.” The Sheriff added. “But none of us give a fuck who you are. Get the Hell out!”

“Yeah!” said Woody Pride, known for a local children’s show known as Woody’s Roundup. “Get. Out.” Gaston rose, much to everyone’s chagrin.

“...Mom? Dad?” he asked. “Why?”

His mother didn't speak, while his father stammered, “Well...erm...you see, son…”

Frollo stood, glaring at him. “Go on. I'm quite interested to hear your justification for what you believe.”

“...Can’t believe you guys…” It seemed that Gaston, for all his ego, had at least one standard. Granted, it was undermined by his greaser nature, but it was still a standard.

His father said, “How can any of you possibly believe that any of this is normal? We have fucking Catholics in town, there's a gypsy in this room, Jews live here, dragging down our economy, and there are, God in heaven, queers among us.” Elsa recoiled as if she had been slapped, tears welling in her eyes. Toby growled at him, snarling like an angry dog. Kristoff clenched and unclenched his fists, his eye twitching. Walt was frowning, disappointment clear in his expression. Phoebus was glaring at Gaston's father, his hand on his revolver.

“I'd leave right quick if I was you, sir.” He said flatly. Gaston’s father ran out the door. His wife followed him. Gaston, in anger, stormed out of the town hall.

After a moment of awkward silence, Walt said, “Elsa Fryse, could you come up here for a moment?”

She did, Walt putting a gentle hand on her shoulder.

“Due to witnessing her exceptional strength and conviction, I have made the decision to appoint Elsa as my head of security.” This, much like the night before, had mixed reactions. Some were in complete agreement. Others were outraged. Ariel was one of the supporters, grinning and giving Elsa a gleeful thumbs up. Cinderella, elated that her abusive family was now gone, also supported her. Elsa was smiling widely. She turned towards Ariel and Cinderella, winking playfully at Cindy. She blushed in response. Ariel chuckled, nudging her with her elbow.

“Aww, someone's falling in love…” she teased.

“I’m not…”

Ariel chuckled again. “Oh, really? Then why are you blushing? She makes you feel something, doesn't she?”

“Ummm…” Cindy said, then swallowed the spit that had been collecting in her mouth. Roy looked at his brother.

“There is, indeed, a magic about this town.”

Walt nodded, smiling as he noticed Elsa and Cindy were gazing intently at each other.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears. Cinderella began, sitting herself at a piano.

“And she's already

Workin' on my brain.

I, I only looked in her eyes, but I picked

Up something I just can't explain.”

At this, Toby and the others joined in.

I'm pickin' up good vibrations,

She's giving me excitations.

Good, good, good - good vibrations.

I, I bet I know what she's like.

And I can feel how right she'd be for me.

It's weird, how she comes in so strong.

And I wonder what she's pickin' up from me?

I'm pickin' up good vibrations,

She's giving me excitations.

I don't know where but she sends me there -

Ah my my, what a sensation!

Ah my my, what an elation!

Gotta keep those lovin' good

Vibrations a-happenin' with her.

Ah good, good, good, good vibrations.”

Elsa was entranced by Cinderella singing...until the others joined in, and the moment was ruined. She rolled her eyes, letting out a sigh. Cinderella looked at her, a bit sad.

“Sing it again, and if anyone else says one word, I'll strangle them.” Cinderella sang again, this time only accompanied by the piano. Elsa went over to her, before wringing her hands nervously.

“You have a very nice voice. I would like to...erm…”

“To what?”

“...kiss you.”

Cinderella blushed again, but nodded. Elsa gently knelt in front of her, before pressing her lips to those of Cinderella. She kissed back, still not used to kissing another woman. Elsa pulled her closer, gently rubbing her back. Cindy slowly pulled away, smiling. “You’re a fantastic kisser, miss Fryse.”

“Thank you. And please, call me Elsa.”

“All right. You’re a fantastic kisser, Elsa.”

Elsa blushed, thanking her again.

“Well.” observed Toby. “This is going to be an interesting summer, isn’t it?” Anna nodded. Elsa looked over at them, smiling sheepishly. Kristoff gave her a thumbs up. Toby looked at Ariel, Triton glaring at him.

“I can see you are infatuated with my daughter.” he whispered. “I will admit I’m overprotective, but I trust you enough not to hurt my little girl.”

“Trust me, Mr. Clearwater.” Toby whispered back. “I won’t.” Roy clicked his tongue at Toby, winking and giving him an OK sign. He knew a charmer when he saw it, and Toby was definitely one.

“You have this, kid. Go for it. Summer doesn’t last forever.” He then patted his brother’s back. “Right, Walt?”

Walt grinned. “Indeed. Ah, I remember when I was young and in love. You remember Rachel, yes?”

“Ah, yes. The summer of 1923.” Roy said. “When we were just starting out as businessmen.”

“Yes. She was a young, vibrant girl. I fell in love almost instantly, and our summer together was sweet and romantic. Alas, she was Jewish, and our parents wouldn't allow me to be with her.”

“Then again, you did say similar things, things you regret.” Roy said. “And then the war happened.”

“My God...I knew Adolf Hitler wasn't the safest of human beings, but I never in my wildest dreams thought he would go that far.”

“And that,” Roy said to the crowd. “That is how the town you now call home came to be.”

Elsa, who was now holding Cindy’s hand, replied, “And for that, I am grateful.”

“Welcome to Disney, Fryse family.” Roy said as Cindy blushed. “We hope you will have a nice life here.”

“As do I.” Elsa said before gently kissing Cindy again.

“Ain’t that sweet, Pumbaa?” Timon asked. “It reminds me of when you and I met. Ain’t young love great?”

“It is.” Pumbaa agreed, nodding. Toby was still staring at Ariel, smiling. She turned to look at him.

“What?”

“N-nothing. It’s just-”

Ariel merely smiled. “What's the matter, smooth talker? Cat got your tongue?” Triton tried to stifle his laughter.

“I, uh...uuuuhhhhh…” Toby stammered. Kristoff cracked up, trying to cover it with a cough. Anna smirked, playfully smacking Toby’s back.

“Smooth talker, huh?” she teased Toby. “Figured you weren’t a ladies’ man, little brother.”

Elsa cut in, her tone dry, “I thought for the longest time, honestly, that you were attracted to boys. God knows you never tried talking to girls for the longest time.”

“Shut up!” Toby said, blushing as Cindy giggled softly. “I just didn’t think of girls that way before. You know how little boys are. ‘Girls are icky! Tommy guns rule!’”

Elsa said, her tone still dry, “I wouldn't know. I never paid much attention to boys.”

“If that were the case, you wouldn’t have a beautiful blonde sitting next to you.” Toby fired back. Cinderella blushed.

“Thank you…”

“No problem.”

Elsa chuckled. “Back off, Toby. She's mine. Oh, wait...you prefer redheads. Isn't that right?”

“Uhhhhhh…” Toby said, trying to avoid gazing at Ariel. She was grinning.

“Oh, dear, I think someone has a crush.” She said in a sing-song voice.

“I don’t…” he said. Triton grinned at Walt.

“He does.” he said, now laughing uproariously. “He really, truly does. I could tell upon first seeing him.”

Walt was laughing just as hard. So hard, in fact, he was finding it hard to breathe. That was when Frollo arrived. He took one look at them all, before saying bluntly, “So, when should we plan the wedding?” Toby excused himself, and everyone outside-and inside-town hall would hear a loud, panicked scream. This made Walt laugh even harder. Toby came back in, sat back down, and grumbled.

Roy was laughing himself, out of breath. Elsa wasn't laughing, but her wide grin made it clear what she thought about the whole thing.

“I. Do not. Crush. On Ariel.” Toby muttered. “And even if I did, she wouldn’t return my feelings, seeing as we only met a few days ago.”

“She may not, but she is aware of your summer crush.” Cindy said, also smiling slightly. Ariel nodded in agreement.

“You think I didn't notice the way you were looking at me, Toby?” she asked.

“...You did.” he admitted. “I’m just the new kid. You’re the local surfer girl. We’re from two different worlds, practically.”

She snorted. “Honestly, I can't stand half the boys in this town. Most of them are idiots with their heads lodged firmly in their asses, if you'll pardon my profanity.”

“I do not.” Triton said. “You get your sailor mouth from me, dear.”

“So, what’s so different about me? I’m just some northern nobody from Alaska.” Toby asked.

“We’re all different, in our own ways.” Belle interrupted. “I’m the bookworm, Ariel’s a surfer, Timon and Pumbaa are mechanics...this town is full of diversity, and more importantly, acceptance.”

Frollo said, “I mean, look at me. I'm the town’s Nazi-killing, alcoholic, grouchy old pastor.”

“And I’m a drunken atheist.” Jack piped up, having arrived late. “Ya don’t see everyone else shit on and walk all over me, do ya, boy?”

“No…” Toby said.

“And I’m just a Gypsy girl.” Esmeralda said. “...We’re all different. That’s our point, Toby.”

Elsa nodded in agreement. “If we were all the same, life would be painfully boring, wouldn't it?”

“Yep.” Anna agreed, as Toby continued looking at Ariel, not even bothering to hide his blush this time. She smiled at him.

“So, uhhhh...gonna be a great summer, huh?” he asked. She nodded in agreement. Elsa turned to Cindy.

“So...I assume you'll be moving in with us?”

“Of course. I have nowhere else to go, seeing as my stepmom and her daughters are gonna get kicked out.”

Elsa nodded. “Good. It'll be good to have you for company over the summer.”

“Why, thank you. That means a lot.”

Elsa nodded again, smiling.

“Oh, and by the way, Toby, I can get you a surfboard so another incident doesn’t happen.” Cindy said.

“You have that kind of money?” Toby asked.

“Of course. My father opened a savings account for me before he...passed on.” she said, whispering the last words. Elsa put a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. “...Thank you, Elsa.”

“It is no trouble. Would you like to go for a walk? I know that helps when I'm upset.” Elsa asked. She nodded. Elsa stood, taking Cindy’s hand. The two of them left, and walked together.

“...I swear, this town is full of surprises.” Anna said.

“You said it.” replied Toby. “Hopefully, we’ll expect more.”

Cinderella held Elsa’s hand, admiring the scenery. Elsa was doing the same, humming to herself.

“I should take you to the bookstore. Belle works there part-time.” Cindy said. “That is, if you enjoy reading like her and I do.”

“Are you kidding? I love to read.”

“Oh? What kinds of books? I enjoy fantasy myself. Belle’s more of a general kind of reader. She’s gotten into H.P. Lovecraft recently.”

“Oh, I adore Lovecraft. He's one of my favorite writers.”

“I don’t. Way too scary for my tastes.”

“Of course, racism is a major part of his works, so there is that.”

“I prefer the work of Robert E. Howard and Michael Moorcock, myself.”

“Ah, so you enjoy the Conan novels. They are quite enjoyable. But enough about books, at least for now. The sun is out, the air is warm, and summer is here. Let's enjoy it, shall we? I'll race you to the beach!”

With that, Elsa took off running. Cindy ran after her, laughing all the way. Elsa’s laughter echoed as she ran, enjoying the heat of the sun on her skin. Cinderella smiled. “Wanna go for a swim?” she asked.

“Certainly!” Elsa replied happily. The two of them spent the rest of the day together, enjoying each other’s company. It would certainly be an interesting summer, they both knew. In more ways than one. Toby, meanwhile, had spent the day with Ariel and her father, who he found had very good intentions in protecting his daughter. Ariel enjoyed Toby’s company. Once the sun had set, and the town had gone quiet, she walked with him as he went home for the night.

“It was really nice hanging with you.” Toby said, before he found himself holding her hand. Ariel had taken his hand in hers as they walked. Once they reached his house, she smiled at him, before gently kissing his cheek.

“I'm glad to have made a friend like you, Toby.” She whispered in his ear. Before he could respond, she left, disappearing into the darkness. Toby stared out into the distance, Anna coming out with Kristoff to get him inside sometime later. Elsa and Cinderella sat together on the couch, chatting idly and holding hands. Toby walked in, turned on the TV, and sat, watching Ed Sullivan silently. The rest of the night passed in much the same way: Comfortable silence. All of them-the Fryses, Kristoff, and Cindy-reflected on the events of the previous day, and came to the same conclusion: This summer was going to be incredibly fun.

Spoiler

NOTES/TRIVIA:

First Appearances: Toby, Cinderella, Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, Ariel, Timon, Pumbaa, Frollo, Jack Sparrow, the citizens of Disney

Songs Used: Surfin' USA, God Only Knows, Good Vibrations

Title is a reference to the album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!) by the Beach Boys.

• Like 1

Guest hilaryfan80

My commentary has spoilers, so do not read unless you've read already.

Spoiler

This is quite the take on Disney! This kind of reminds me of Once Upon a Time with its twists of the original storylines, but it's not exactly like that show. It's interesting that you picked Cinderelsa as a ship because Cinderella is looking for her prince to come true, but she finds her prince through Elsa. That's cool.

One commentary that I have to make is that the southern lines are not exact. Coming from the south myself, I know that nobody would say "How are all of y'all"... rather, we would just say "How are y'all doin' today?" This is just a nitpicky thing though.

I wonder where this is going to go!

P.S. It wouldn't kill you to put the episode in a spoiler. :funny:

Surfin’

Toby walked along the shoreline of the beach, wearing nothing but red swimming trunks. His still-developing muscles were taut and firm, the hot sun shining down on him. “Ah…” he said. “What a great day.”

Just down the beach, Ariel stood, the incoming waves washing across her feet. She was wearing a bikini, which wasn't unusual. What was unusual was that this one was much skimpier than the bikini she usually wore. Toby’s eyes widened, more attracted than usual. He slowly walked towards Ariel, and smiled awkwardly.

“Hey.” he greeted.

“Hey.”  She greeted in return, smiling back at him.

“You look...ummm...nice.”

“Thanks.” Ariel replied, giggling a bit.

“There’s something I need to tell you.” Toby said, as Kristoff, Anna, Cindy, and Elsa somehow came out of nowhere dressed as Dion and the Belmonts, cluing him in that something wasn’t normal.

“Oh? What is it?”

Toby, as if on reflex, began to sing, with his family and Cindy providing backing vocals.

Little surfer, little one

Made my heart come all undone

Do you love me, do you, surfer girl?

Surfer girl, my little surfer girl

I have watched you on the shore

Standing by the ocean's roar

Surfer girl, surfer girl

We could ride the surf together

While our love would grow

In my Woody I would take you everywhere I go

So I say from me to you

I will make your dreams come true

Surfer girl, my little surfer girl

Girl, surfer girl, my little surfer girl

Girl, surfer girl, my little surfer girl

Girl, surfer girl, my little surfer girl…”  Toby then held Ariel’s hands, looking into her eyes.

“Oh, Toby…” she said, leaning in to kiss him...before licking his cheek and beginning to pant. That was when the rather nice dream ended, and he could feel Sven licking his face. Toby got up, laughing a bit.

“Down, boy! You ruined my amazing dream!” he chided playfully, getting out of bed and stretching a bit. He then went downstairs and got himself a bowl of cereal: Cocoa Puffs, his favorite. Elsa sat in the living room with Cindy, watching the news. President Kennedy was giving a speech. Toby didn’t listen; he was never one for politics. He’d have to vote when he was 21, anyway. He continued eating his cereal, Sven panting happily as Anna sat with her sister and Kristoff sat across from Toby, smoking. He tapped ash off the end of his cigarette, exhaling smoke.

“You know, a lot of people love Kennedy. I don't see why, honestly.”

“Me neither.” Toby said. “I don’t see the appeal of politics, anyway.”

Kristoff said, snorting, “Of course, Elsa likes him because he's Catholic.”

“Hey…” Cindy replied. “Kennedy’s a good man. He’s like King Arthur.”

“He's also quite the ladies man, if you believe the rumors.” Kristoff replied.

“I do, but that would mean bringing up Marilyn Monroe...and that’s still a bit of a sore spot for America, given what happened last year.” Toby replied, getting himself another bowl of cereal. Cindy and Anna sighed.

“She was so young…” Anna said. Elsa lit a cigarette of her own, clearing her throat.

“I'm more concerned about the shitstorm brewing in Alabama and the like. That's a massive powder keg waiting to go off.”

“Let’s not discuss politics right now, sis.” Toby said. “What’s the plan for today?”

“Well,” said Cindy. “I’m going to the bookstore to look around.”

“I’m just gonna go for a walk today.” said Anna. Kristoff opened his mouth to speak, before noting something out the window. His jaw promptly shut with an audible clack, his eyes widening a bit.

“I think someone messed with the car.” He said.  Elsa looked out the window, as well, before letting out a stream of vulgar curses that, had her parents been there to hear it, would have gotten her mouth thoroughly cleaned with soap.

“Who the hell’s messing with the car?” Toby asked, getting up. The windshield and windows had all been smashed, a baseball bat sticking out of one of the shattered backseat windows. All four tires had been slashed open, and the words ‘DAMN QUEERS’ had been spray painted on the side of the car facing them.

“Holy shit…” Toby muttered, Anna clasping a hand over her mouth and Cindy trying to comfort Elsa. Kristoff, meanwhile, appeared to be calm. So calm, in fact, it looked as if what had happened didn't bother him at all. Anna knew that meant he was secretly pissed.

It wasn't so secret when he said pleasantly, “Well, I'll probably be in prison by this time next week, because I'm going to find whoever did this and bash their fucking skulls in.”

“...This is a great start to my day, let me tell you.” muttered Toby.

“A great start to your day?” Elsa said. “I'm the one who paid for the damn car, and I'm the one who this attack was meant to target. Well, I'm one of two people it was meant to target.”

She then walked over to the phone. “I'm going to give Sheriff Phoebus a call.”

Call him, she did, and the sheriff arrived fifteen minutes later. Upon pulling up to the curb and seeing the wrecked car, he whistled softly.

“They beat the Hell out of it, didn't they?” he muttered, spitting a wad of tobacco onto the ground.

“Mmm-hmmm.” said Cindy. “Are you going to make an arrest?”

“Well, I don't have a definite suspect, but I think we all can guess who did it.” Phoebus replied.

“Who?” asked Anna.

“Well, he's a muscular little bastard who acts like he owns this town. Any guesses who I'm talkin’ about?”

“Gaston?” Toby deadpanned.

“Yup.” Phoebus replied dryly.

Elsa sighed, before muttering, “Why am I not surprised?”

“I thought he had standards, judging by his behavior the other day…” Toby muttered.

“I did too.” said Anna. “But I guess you were wrong, Toby.”

“...Well, he’s innocent until proven guilty, right?” Cindy asked. Phoebus snorted, spitting another tobacco wad.

“Sure, let's go with that. I hope he admits to doin’ it, I really do, because I've been itching to have an excuse to kick his ass. He's been pickin’ on little Esmeralda, and she's been livin’ with me since her folks passed a few years back. She's like my daughter, and it makes me mad to see her treated so poorly.”

“...Well, I hope you get your man, Sheriff.” Toby said. “Though we’re still technically ‘new’ in town, Gaston’s been avoiding karma for a while, it seems.”

Phoebus nodded in agreement, walking back to his car. “Well, I'm sorry this happened to you folks. It seems to me like you're having a shitty start in this town of ours, and I hope things get better. It really is a nice place, but like anyplace else, it has plenty of problems.”

Elsa replied, “Thank you for your help, sheriff.”

“No problem. Anyone comes around here and stirs up trouble, you let me know.” He replied, before getting in his car and driving off. Toby looked at Elsa, and put a hand on her shoulder. Elsa was just as angry as Kristoff, but like him, she hid it behind icy calm.

“One day, I'm going to kill him.” She said softly, referring to Gaston.

“I know you will.” Toby said. “Let’s get inside.”

Elsa shook her head, pulling away from him and walking off down the street. Kristoff sighed.

“Follow her, will you?” he asked Cindy. Cindy nodded, going after Elsa. Anna looked at Kristoff and Toby. Kristoff shrugged helplessly.

“She's going to need you as well, Anna. You being her sister and all.” He said. Anna nodded, and went to go comfort Elsa. When she caught up with Elsa and Cindy, Elsa was sitting on a park bench, crying. Cindy sat beside her, having pulled her into a hug. Elsa wept into her shoulder, holding Cindy close.

“Shhh…” she whispered. “It’s gonna be alright…”

Elsa continued to cry, not noticing Anna.

“Elsa, calm down.” Anna said softly. Elsa didn't. Instead, she hugged her sister tightly. Anna hugged her back, starting to cry herself. After about ten minutes, Elsa finally stopped crying. She wiped her eyes, sniffling a bit. “Better?” Anna asked, holding back her tears.

“A bit, yes. Now I think it's your turn to cry.” Elsa replied, sensing her sister was about to sob. Anna burst into tears, holding her sister close. Elsa stroked Anna’s hair, humming softly. Anna calmed down after several minutes.

“Thank you, Elsa.”

“It is no trouble at all.”

“It isn’t?” Anna asked.

“No. You're my sister. It's practically my job to comfort you.” Anna smiled, hugging her sister. Cindy joined in, making it a group hug.

Anna broke the hug, and asked, “Let’s not let this tragedy get in the way of what we’ve planned.”

Elsa nodded in agreement, smiling herself. Cindy grinned sheepishly. Elsa got up.

“So, where are we going now?”

“Wanna go with me to the bookstore?” Cindy asked.

“Sure. Care to come with us, Anna?” Elsa asked. Anna nodded. The three of them headed to the bookstore. Belle was sitting at a desk, casually flipping through a Lovecraft collection.

“Hello, Belle.” Elsa said pleasantly as the three of them entered.

“Oh, hello Elsa. Anna, Cindy.” Belle greeted with a smile. Elsa looked at the book she had been reading.

“Ah, I see you're a Lovecraft fan.” She said.

“The Call of Cthulhu is a favorite of mine.”

“That is a good one.” Elsa replied. “My personal favorite is The Shadow Over Innsmouth.”

“Oh, that is an absolute classic!” Belle nearly squealed in delight. “What about At the Mountains of Madness?”

“I liked that one, too, though I always thought the mutated penguins were a bit odd.”

“Mutated...penguins?” Anna asked, raising a brow.

“It makes sense in context...kind of.” Elsa replied. Belle handed Anna a copy. She took it, then promptly paid for it. Cindy, meanwhile, browsed the fantasy section. She soon found a book, or rather, three, that intrigued her. The Lord of the Rings.

“Ah, that story is a classic.” Elsa said when she noticed what Cindy had picked out.

“You’ve read it?” Belle asked. “I thought I was the only one.”

“Yes, I've read it. Several times, in fact.”

“I’ve actually sent fan letters to Mr. Tolkien. Can you believe it?” Belle laughed.

“I can, actually.” Elsa replied, laughing as well. Cindy bought the trilogy, along with several Conan novels. Elsa bought the same Lovecraft collection Belle had been reading, which contained most of his more well known stories. After she had paid, Elsa stepped outside to smoke. Anna and Cindy stayed inside, telling Belle of what had happened earlier. Her response was barely-contained anger.

“That fucking bastard.” she said. “I knew he was an asshole, but never to that degree.”

Elsa, meanwhile, could see Gaston just up the street. Thankfully, he couldn't see her. He had a surfboard in hand, and appeared to be heading to the beach. She took a deep drag off her cigarette, fingering the crucifix at her throat. The thoughts she was having weren't very Christian, but Elsa believed the good Lord would cut her some slack for it after all that had happened. Toby, meanwhile, had decided to head to the beach himself. He figured the ocean would calm his nerves, and he took the surfboard Cindy had recently bought for him: it was red, with flames painted on it. Ariel was already out on the water by the time he arrived, paddling towards an incoming wave.

“Hey, Ariel.” he greeted, sitting near the shoreline. She turned back to him for a moment to wave, before beginning to surf. Once she had ridden the wave back to shore, she sat down next to him, water dripping off of her.

“Hello, Toby.” She said.

“How are you?” he asked.

“I'm good. How are you?”

“I’m not doing too well. Some bad shit happened this morning.” Toby said, looking down at his feet. “Elsa’s car got wrecked and vandalized.”

Ariel gasped. “Why? Who did it?”

“We don’t know, but we’re thinking it was Gaston.” Toby replied. “And to think, he called his parents on their own bigotry…”

Ariel thought about it. “Hmmm...maybe it wasn't him. Maybe it was one of the other bigots in town.”

“How do you know?”

“Can you think of anyone else who have a grudge against Elsa? Or Cindy?”

“Other than the Tremaines, no, but they were kicked out.” Toby replied. “Weren’t they?”

“Officially, yes. Unofficially, no. They're still around.”

“They are?”

“For now, at least, until they sell their house and leave. For now…”

“Oh.”

Ariel nodded, silently looking out at the waves.

“The ocean’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Toby asked. Ariel nodded again. “I never got to thank you, Ariel.” he continued. “For saying that you were glad to be my friend.”

“You don't have to thank me.” She replied.

“I don’t?” Toby looked at her, raising a brow.

“No. I'm glad we're friends. It shouldn't be something you have to thank me for saying. It's just a fact.”

Toby smiled, before who should interrupt but Gaston. “Oh. Hello, Asston.” Toby said dryly.

“Hey, shrimp. What do you think you’re doing with my girl?” Gaston asked, much to Toby’s amusement, judging from the latter snorting. Ariel gave Gaston the bird.

“Fuck off, Gaston.” She said flatly.

“Playing hard to get, huh, doll?” Gaston replied, not getting the hint. Or rather, as Toby suspected, he did, he just didn’t care. “I like that in a lady.”

“Those jackasses you drag around with you are more feminine than I could ever be. Maybe you should get one of them to suck on that tiny thing you call a penis.” Ariel said, her tone still flat. Gaston’s face twisted into something Elsa might have called Lovecraftian, his face turning purple.

“Why I oughta…” he began.

“You’re gonna what, Charles Atlas?” Toby replied. “Kick me, a ‘97-pound weakling’, and get the girl?”

A hand came to rest on Gaston’s shoulder, “Yes. I am quite curious what you plan to do to my daughter and her friend.”

It was Triton who had spoken. Gaston’s eyes widened.

“...M-Mr. Clearwater...sir...I had no idea you would be here…” he whimpered. Triton snorted.

“Of course I'm here. I own the damn beach. Now, let me tell you something: That young man has endured a great loss recently. As such, I will not tolerate you making his time here miserable. If you hurt him…I will pay it back to you, plus interest. He gets a scratch, you get a scar. He gets a limp, you get crutches. Understand?”

“U-understood, sir.” Gaston said. “I won’t hurt your daughter or her buddy…”

“Oh, I was merely talking about hurting her ‘buddy.’ If you hurt my little girl...well, you won't be surfing again. Ever.”

“Ever?”

“Ever.”

Gaston kept looking into Triton’s gaze, quivering in fear. “Y-yes, sir.”

“Good lad.” Triton said, patting his shoulder and walking away. Once Triton was out of earshot, Gaston glared at Toby.

“This isn’t over. Not by a long shot, skinny-bones.”

“Yes, it is.” Kristoff said, having walked up behind him. “Why don't you pick on someone your own size, asshole?”

“B-but he called me Charles Atlas!” Gaston protested. “He mocked my muscles!”

“Hold up, Kristoff.” Toby said. “I have a better idea.”

“Oh, do tell. Because I'm about ten seconds away from giving Charles here a permanent limp.”

“How’s about a little wager, Gaston? A surf-off. Whoever wins gets the title of King of the Beach?” Toby challenged, a smirk on his face.

“A challenge, huh? What’ll happen to the loser?” Gaston asked.

“They get to be pushed around by the King for eternity.” Toby replied. “Kristoff? Ariel? What do you guys think?”

Kristoff shrugged. Ariel got up, kicked Gaston in the balls, and walked off down the beach, making her thoughts on the matter clear.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Toby said. “...I’m just gonna let Gaston recover, then we begin.” He then walked away to wax down his surfboard. Once Gaston had finished dry-heaving, the competition began. Toby paddled for a while, then once the perfect wave came up, he began to surf, glaring at Gaston competitively. Ariel watched from the shore as they surfed. Toby smiled at her, though kept his focus. She continued to watch, waiting to see who would win. Toby looked at Gaston, and subtly forced a wipeout by pushing him off his board. Karma, Toby thought. Sweet, sweet karma. Toby came back to shore, grinning. Gaston followed, coughing up salt water.

“You...cheater…” he growled.

“Me? A cheater? You must be mistaken.” said Toby pridefully. Ariel rolled her eyes.

“Cut the shit, Toby.” She snapped. “I don't need you to jam your head as far up your own ass as Mr. Atlas over there has.”

“Sorry.” Toby said. “Just being a king, ya know?”

“...You’re no king. You’re just a schmuck.” Gaston growled.

“Boys.” Ariel snorted, walking away from them both. Gaston looked at Kristoff, then realized he was outmatched. He then ran off, as fast as he could. Toby sat there on the shore, proud of his victory...but why did he feel empty?

Elsa, meanwhile, was in the town church, praying. The incident of that morning had brought the shame she had felt about her feelings back to the surface. Esmeralda sat beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

“My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things. I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin. Our Savior Jesus Christ suffered and died for us. In His name, my God have mercy. Amen. Elsa whispered.

“Why do you feel you’ve sinned?” Esmeralda whispered. “Is it because you enjoy women?”

“Yes.”

“Love is love. You shouldn’t be ashamed of what you feel.” Esmeralda said.

“Tell that to my thoughts.” Elsa muttered.

“What happened?” Esmeralda asked. “Please, speak your mind.”

“When I was ten years old, I went to a church in my hometown to pray. The feelings I have towards women were just beginning to surface, and I was so very confused. The priest there, Father James, was very kind to me. He told me that he knew I was feeling confused and unsure, and that he wanted to help me. He said he knew a very secret way to help get rid of those feelings forever. He...he raped me that afternoon.” Esmeralda’s jaw dropped, her eyes widening.

“He...he...raped you?!” Her voice echoed inside the church. “WHAT SORT OF SICK BASTARD RAPES A TEN-YEAR OLD GIRL IN A HOLY PLACE?!”

Elsa whimpered. “He did it more than once…”

“I hope he rots in Hell.” Esmeralda said, pulling Elsa into a hug. “There is nothing wrong with loving the same gender.”

Elsa didn't respond, but she hugged Esmeralda tightly.

“Don’t be afraid...Pastor Frollo and I are here…” Esmeralda tried reassuring Elsa. She had grown closer to the pastor and Quasimodo, to the point where she considered them confidants and family. Sheriff Phoebus, who had adopted her after the death of her parents, had said jokingly the night before that it was like she had two adopted fathers instead of one. To Esmeralda, this was absolutely true, and she had chided him for joking like that. He had chuckled, rolling his eyes.

“Come on, Esme. You know it's true.” He had said, snorting.

“I know, and that’s why I don’t find it funny.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Pheobus had replied, and they had moved on to other topics.

Elsa calmed down after a few minutes, pulling away from Esmeralda. “Are you no longer guilty for what you can’t control?” the latter asked.

“No, I'm not. Thank you, Esme.” She replied, smiling.

“It’s no trouble.” said Esmeralda. “I’m always here.”

Elsa continued to pray after that, but she no longer looked or sounded as downcast. Gaston, meanwhile, walked along the beach, wallowing in his self-pity. His lackies trailed behind him, unsure what to say.

“Come on, Gaston, it’s just a lousy surf-off.” Lefou said. “What’s the big deal?”

“The big deal is I lost to the Jones wimp. He thinks he’s king of the beach, even though he cheated!”

“He cheated, huh?” Lefou asked. “Can you prove it?”

“N-no, but he pushed me off my board.” Gaston said.

“Then how do you know he cheated?” Lefou replied, making a good point. Gaston had nothing but his own word to go on, and given his reputation as a greaser, it was unreliable. Ariel sat just up the beach from them, putting wax on her surfboard. She had been watching when the surf-off had taken place, so it was possible she had seen if Toby had actually cheated. Lefou decided to go and ask her. She liked him, despite how he was Gaston’s yes-man. This decision, however, was rather stupid on his part. How so, you may ask? He outright, and cheerfully asked, “Did Toby cheat in the surf-off, Ariel?”

Ariel looked at him, then looked at Gaston, before promptly going back to waxing her board. “Hey, he asked you a question, little mermaid.” Gaston said, walking up to her. “Did. Jones. Cheat?”

“I couldn't tell, but if he did, it's payback for what you did this morning.” Ariel snapped, before noting the confused expression on his face.

“The fuck are you talking about?” Gaston asked. “This morning, I was eating breakfast at Flo’s.”

Ariel was genuinely surprised. She considered the possibility he was lying, but upon reviewing it, the confusion seemed genuine.

“So, it wasn't you who pounded the shit out of Elsa Fryse’s car. Huh. I guess you weren't being hypocritical when you were disgusted with your parents the other night.”

“Of course! I have standards, you know.” Gaston huffed before walking away. Ariel watched him go. For the first time, she felt a bit of respect for Gaston. For all his faults, he had lines he wouldn't cross. Lefou and the other members of his gang followed him, that is, before they were stopped by Phoebus.

“Aw, crap.” muttered Gaston. “As if this day couldn’t get any worse. First I get accused of homophobia, then Barney Fife here shows up to arrest me.”

Before Phoebus could say a word, Ariel interjected, “It wasn't them, sheriff.”

Phoebus looked at her, not even bothering to question what she was talking about.

“How do you know?”

“Because if he did something like this, he'd take credit for it.” Ariel replied. “He also has standards.”

“Well, alright.” Phoebus said, turning on his heel and walking away.

“Thanks for bailing me out, Ariel.” Gaston said. For once, he wasn’t using a sexist or derogatory nickname. Ariel nodded.

“It is no trouble. As much as you piss me off, I don't want to see you arrested for something you didn't do.”

“I’m still gonna find out if Jones cheated, though. I don’t tolerate cheaters.” Gaston said.

“Neither do I. Believe me, I won't be letting him off easy if he did cheat.” Ariel replied, before picking up her surfboard and walking towards the water.

“Good day to you, Gaston.” She said before heading out onto the water. Toby, meanwhile, was at the ice cream stand, drinking a root beer float. The empty feeling had grown stronger. It was guilt, he realized, gnawing away at his mind. He sighed, idly stirring the float with his straw. Cheating may not have been a bright idea after all. After all, what was the fun in being ‘King of the Beach’ if you cheated? No fun, that’s what.

But I can’t just can’t confess to Ariel, much less Gaston, that I cheated, Toby thought. A man never admits to cheating.

Another part of his mind murmured, A real man never cheats to begin with.

Hey, who asked you? Charles Atlas is a man who never cheats. I’m just like him. Toby fired back. I’m not some skinny scarecrow!

No. His conscience replied. You're a cheater. Tell me, what would your adopted parents think of this, Toby? What would Elsa think, if she knew? Or Anna?

They’d probably just let me off with a warning, and teach me a lesson like on Leave It To Beaver. Toby replied. Isn’t that how life works? You go learn a lesson and be done with it?

If life were like Leave It To Beaver, your parents wouldn't be in prison for murder, and your adopted parents wouldn't have drowned. His conscience said simply.

Don’t remind me. But Ariel would hate me if I admit I cheated. Toby fired back. Was that the real reason he cheated? To impress his crush and fulfill a Charles Atlas fantasy of the ‘skinny scarecrow’ showing up the big bully and getting the girl?

That may be true, but she'll hate you even more if she finds out you cheated, then lied about it.

SHUT UP, WARD CLEAVER! I DON’T NEED YOUR LIFE LESSONS! Toby shouted at his conscience.

You are just burying your guilt, Toby. Came the response, which was impossible to deny.

...You’re right, you’re right, you’re right. But what do I do?

Tell the truth. It will set you free.

I need time to think. But I will tell the truth...somehow.

No, you coward. Get your head out of your ass and tell the truth now, or Ariel will hate you for it. His conscience said bluntly.

I NEED TO THINK ABOUT HOW I’M GONNA DO THIS, OKAY?! SO SHUT UP! Toby screamed inwardly...and outwardly, as this whole conversation had been going on with Kristoff, as well. Toby had been replying to Kristoff verbally, giving the same answers out loud as he had in his head. “Oh, fuck me…” Toby muttered, avoiding Kristoff’s gaze. The mountain man’s gaze burned into his back.

“Agnarr and Iduna would be ashamed of you, Toby.” Kristoff said coldly.

“D-don’t remind me, Kristoff...I’m not a liar, I swear...I’m just like Charles Atlas...I got the girl, and beat up the bully...happy ending.”

Kristoff got up, grabbed Toby by the ear, and dragged him over to where Ariel was sitting. Toby looked at him, mouthing, ‘I can’t do it, Kristoff.’

Kristoff said to Ariel, still holding Toby by the ear, “Smooth talker here has something to tell you. Something important. Don't you, Toby?”

“Y-yeah…” Toby began. “You look very nice today!” Wrong answer. Kristoff twisted his ear.

“Nope, that wasn't it. Try again, Toby.”

“Ow!” Toby said. “Stop!”

Ariel had raised a brow. She sighed. “Come on, Toby. Out with it already.”

“I CHEATED IN THE SURF-OFF AND I FEEL REALLY FUCKING GUILTY, OKAY?!”

Ariel blinked out of shock. Out of all the things she may have expected to hear, that was not one of them. She stood, and before Toby could even think to say anything, she had slapped him hard across the face. She slapped him a second time a moment later, then walked off down the beach.

“At least I don’t feel guilty anymore.” Toby muttered. “But now Ariel hates me.”

Kristoff snorted, turning around and walking away. Toby sat on the beach, feeling like absolute trash. Coincidentally, a Charles Atlas ad flew into his face. He looked at it, and growled, “Fuck you, Atlas. Fuck. YOU!” He then tore up the ad and threw it into the wind.

Elsa, meanwhile, had met back up with Anna and Cindy, and all three of them saw Ariel walking up the street, looking pissed off.

“Ariel, what’s wrong?” Cindy asked. “You look pissed.”

She said, looking at Anna and Elsa, “Your little brother is a damn cheater.”

“What happened?” Anna asked. Ariel explained. When she finished, Elsa sighed.

“Damn it, Toby…” she muttered.

“He at least admitted to it, Elsa. He’s probably already upset enough. I’m just...confused and disappointed. It’s just a surfing contest, yeah, but Toby still lied about it for some phony title.”

“Mom and dad would have tanned his hide for this.” Elsa replied. “All in all, I'd say I'm being pretty lenient.”

“Wanna go talk to him?” Cindy suggested. “We’re his family, after all. Well, you guys are, anyway. I’m still not sure where I fit.”

Elsa took her hand, kissing Cindy briefly on the lips. “You're family. There is no question about that.”

“So, what are we gonna do about Toby?” Cindy asked.

Elsa replied, sighing again, “I don't know.”

“Want me and you to go talk to him?” Cindy suggested.

“Yes. I'll go with you. He'll talk to me.” Cindy took Elsa’s hand, and smiled. They walked to the beach, and found Toby blankly staring at the ocean.

“Toby?” Cindy asked. “Can we talk?”

“Mrrr.” came the answer, a low grunt rising from his abdominal region.

“Please?”

“Mrrrrrr.” Cindy facepalmed and looked at Elsa.

“You try. I can’t get through to him.” she said flatly. Elsa looked at Toby.

“Tobias Jones. Stop pouting like a little boy and talk to us.”

“About what? How everyone’s pissed at me for cheating?” Toby asked, still looking at the ocean as it crashed against the shore. “Because I only cheated to get back at Gaston...for the wrong reasons, but how was I supposed to know he didn’t vandalize your car?”

“You didn't do it because of that.” Elsa said. “You did it so you could win and impress Ariel.”

“...Really? We’re pulling the ‘Charles Atlas’ argument?” he replied dryly. “Really?”

“Yes.” Cindy replied just as dryly. “Toby, let me give you some advice: if you honestly want Ariel to be your friend again, make an effort to be yourself. It’s cliche, I know, but it’s true.” She then put a hand on his shoulder. “You don’t need to act tough to impress a girl. That makes you just as bad as Gaston, if not worse.”

Elsa said, “As far as I am concerned, cheating is a heinous thing to do. You can't really call yourself better than Gaston if you sink to his level, can you?”

“No, not really.” Toby answered. “But Ariel’s not gonna talk to me again, so what am I gonna do? I just can’t say I’m sorry, then we kiss and make up.”

“You’re right. You can’t kiss and make up.” Cindy replied. “That is, unless you tell her you’re sorry, and absolutely mean it.”

“You had best mean it, Toby.” Elsa said seriously. “Otherwise, I'll pass word along to Triton that you hurt his little girl by lying to her.” Toby’s eyes widened.

“And then he’ll tell Mayor Disney…” he muttered. “Crap, you’re right.” He then got up, hugged Elsa, then went to go find Ariel. As he did, he thought about how exactly he would go about apologizing. Elsa watched him go, then turned back to Cindy, taking her hand and squeezing it gently.

“I'm glad to have you around.”

“Thank you, Elsa.” she said, kissing her on the lips. Elsa returned the kiss, pulling Cindy close. Toby, meanwhile, had the misfortune to come across Gaston as he walked.

“Oh, hey, Gaston.” he said. “Isn’t it a nice day?”

Gaston glared at Toby. “It was, until you fucking cheated.”

“...Don’t remind me. Judging from your tone, I guess you’re the ‘noble, fair sportsman’ type. Yeah, I cheated just to try and impress the girl I have a crush on. I’m going to apologize to her. But before I do, I want you to do one thing. I want you to give me what I deserve.” This was certainly a surprise, as Toby was actually asking to get beat up without a hint of sarcasm. Gaston wanted to. Oh, he wanted to. However, he merely walked up to Toby, grabbed him by the collar, and spat in his face.

“You do deserve to get your ass beaten, Jones. But I'm not going to do it. Why? Because I'm not in the mood to have Ariel’s dad kick my ass for giving you what you've earned, and I'm not going to let you have the satisfaction of being able to hold this over my head later.”

With that, Gaston shoved Toby aside and walked past him. Toby stared as he left, thinking Well, that didn’t go as expected. I honestly thought he’d kick my ass. Getting up off the sand and dusting himself off, Toby continued walking until he found Ariel. Unfortunately, Mayor Disney was with her, having decided to have lunch with the girl he considered his niece. Crap. This would be much harder now. Walt smiled when he saw Toby. Ariel didn't acknowledge him.

“Ah, hello, Toby!” Walt said. “Would you care to join us?”

“O-oh! Of course, Walt! Anything for the man who so humbly welcomed us into the town he built!” Toby sat across from Ariel, nervously looking between her and Walt. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck me…, he thought. What am I gonna do?! He then took a breath and said, “Mayor Disney...I was going to talk to Ariel, which is why I came. She and I...are not on good terms right now.” He then, in full and with extreme self-disappointment, explained the entire situation. He was fully expecting Walt to kick him and his family out of town; granted, it was an exaggeration, but his fear was understandable. Walt, upon Toby mentioning this fear, chuckled a bit.

“Oh, my dear boy, while it does disappoint me that you cheated, I am not going to kick you and your family out of town for it.”

“You’re not?” Toby asked. “B-but I hurt Ariel by lying…” He then looked at the girl in question. “...and I’m absolutely sorry for it. I know you won’t forgive me instantly, Ariel, but at least allow me to make it up to you. I wanna prove I’m a man; not by lying or acting tough, but by being a good friend.” At this point, he was tearing up. Walt could see the sadness in his eyes. Ariel, without a word, stood up and pulled Toby into a hug. He looked at her and whispered, “...Thank you.”

“I forgive you…” she whispered.

“That easily? But how…?” Toby asked. “I thought you didn’t like people who cheated at sports.”

“It's not the person I dislike. It's the act.”

“But why did you forgive me so easily?”

“Because we're friends.” This reassured Toby, and he hugged her back.

“We’re not just friends. We’re best friends, Ariel.”

She smiled. “Yes. Best friends for life.” Toby broke the hug, and looked at Walt.

“I guess this is my first step to manhood.” he laughed.

“Now you just need to take a girl to bed, then you will truly be a man.” Walt replied dryly. Toby blushed furiously. Ariel giggled.

“Not gonna happen any time soon, Mayor Disney.” Toby said just as dryly.

“Oh, I hope not. Triton would kill you.” Toby’s eyes widened, and his jaw dropped.

“Uhhhh…” he stammered. “I...uhhhh...erm…”

Ariel giggled again. Toby then got up, and walked away. He didn’t even eat anything. It would be considered rude, if Toby hadn’t gotten so flustered. Ariel and Walt turned their attention back to their meals, idly chatting as they ate.

Toby returned to the beach, where Cindy and Elsa waited for him. “Did it go well?” the former asked.

“Ariel forgave me.” Toby answered. Then he noticed that the two of them had slightly red cheeks, ruffled clothes, and looked a bit tired. Elsa had her arm around Cindy, and both of them were smiling a bit. “I don’t wanna know.” he said, blushing heavily. Elsa chuckled.

“No, you probably don't. It was fun though, wasn't it, Cindy? You were quite nervous, but you enjoyed it by the end.” Cindy nodded, causing Toby to blush harder. Elsa chuckled again. Toby decided he’d practice surfing, not wanting to be in another uncomfortable situation. Well, that and he wanted to genuinely improve his skill. Elsa and Cindy left the beach, returning to the house they were living in. Kristoff was sitting outside with Anna when they arrived.

“Hey, you two.” he said.

“Hey.” Cindy said. “Toby learned his lesson, it seems.”

“Good.” Kristoff replied, looking at Anna. “You look great today, you know.”

“Thanks. So do you.” Anna replied, kissing him. He kissed her back, grinning. Hours later, as the moon slowly rose over the horizon, Toby continued riding the waves, and once he came to shore, he sat in the sand, admiring the beauty of the beach. Today had not been the best, in his opinion, but at least it had come to a satisfying conclusion.

Frollo, meanwhile, was drunk. He had never been a loud drunk, but he was drunk, all the same. He sat at his desk, idly tapping a pen off his chin, his eyes closed. His thoughts drifted, many of them, to his shame, involving Esmeralda and himself in various sexual positions. It didn't help that the girl’s cleavage was often exposed by the tops she wore, and her chest was not modest in any sense of the word. His lustful imaginings were interrupted by Quasimodo snoring in the bell tower. It wasn’t too loud, but at enough of a volume to snap him out of his thoughts. He sighed, pouring himself another drink. This was going to be a long night. Indeed it would be, if these thoughts kept bothering him. And suffice to say, they would.

Kristoff, meanwhile, found Toby nearly asleep on the beach. Anna poked him awake, and he groggily looked upwards. “Hmmm?” he grumbled. “Wha time izzit…?”

“About seven.” Anna answered. “Let’s go home, or else you’ll miss your favorite show.”

“Ed Sullivan?”

“No...the Flintstones.” Toby immediately jolted awake, and tried his damndest not to scream-sing the theme song. When they arrived home, Toby parked himself on the couch, grinning. Elsa was in the kitchen, a cup of coffee in hand. Cindy was making dinner.

“Are those burgers I smell?” Toby asked. Cindy nodded. Elsa grinned.

“I figured, after the day you'd had, a dinner you really liked was in order.”

“Thanks, Elsa. You always know how to cheer me up.”

“I do my best.” Toby planted his gaze on the television, watching the antics of the modern Stone Age family.

“...How do they get TV if they’re in the Stone Age?” Cindy asked, having never seen the Flintstones. “...Or anything, really?”

“Oh, come on, it’s just a cartoon.” Anna laughed.

“I've learned just to turn my brain off when watching cartoons.” Elsa said. “Otherwise I'd drive myself insane trying to figure out how it all works.”

“You would.” said Anna. Sven laid down at Toby’s feet, snoozing. Elsa lit a cigarette, exhaling smoke out an open window.

“Mind if I have a smoke?” Anna asked. Elsa handed her a cigarette, lighting it for her.

“Me too.” Toby said. Anna jokingly waggled her finger.

“Not so fast, Toby. Are you sure you want your first cigarette now? It can wait till you’re older.”

Kristoff snorted. “I smoked my first when I was a year younger than Toby.”

“Fine.” Anna said. “Hand him a cigarette, Elsa.”

She did...after breaking it in half. “Here you go, Toby.” Toby took it, taking a deep puff, then coughed.

“Ack! Tastes terrible.”

“You get used to it.” said Anna. Elsa and Kristoff nodded in agreement. Toby continued to smoke until his half-cigarette was at the butt, then tossed it in the trash.

“That was a good smoke.” he said. The rest of the night passed quietly for that household, all of them content to enjoy each other’s company.

Ariel, meanwhile, sat on the beach, staring out at the ocean. It was rather beautiful at night, but something felt off. What was it? She didn't know. She continued to watch the waves. She’d seen Toby surfing earlier, and admittedly, he was getting better. He still needed practice, but that was expected. Still, that wasn't what was bothering her. What is it, then? Her conscience asked. What troubles you so much?

She hadn't truly forgiven Toby, she admitted to herself. Why? Is it because he cheated? Her conscience questioned. Yes. She answered. It is partly because of the...incident three years ago. What incident happened in Disney, California in 1960, exactly? Was it terrible? Most terrible. It was the same incident that killed her mother. Why, asked her conscience, are you thinking about this now? Were you afraid Toby would be killed in the same manner?

No. She responded. I'm afraid Toby may go down the same path as...him.

Gaston? Or someone else?

You know who I'm talking about. The Man in Black.

Flagg? He has not come here since-since...that day.

You know I've always been good at reading people. Just like I know you're not only my whispering conscience.

I’m more than that, you know. Call me Jiminy Cricket, if you’d like.

Very well. I assume I'm not the first person you've talked to?

No. I’ve talked to Toby, and more recently the carpenter’s son, Pinocchio. All that little boy wants to do is fit in. Perhaps you should take him under your wing. You are a popular girl, after all.

Perhaps I should. For all the happiness in this town, there is a darkness settled over it, like a hungry wolf. People die here more often than you'd think.

And yet people shove the skeletons away into their closet. Little boxes, ticky tacky. Little boxes, all the same.

I'm pretty sure our pastor is hiding a dark secret. I can...well, I feel emotions, in a sense. I can always tell how people are feeling when I'm near them. He is shrouded in darkness and grief, like he is concealing something he feels guilty about.

You have a shine to yourself, don’tcha, Ariel? Jiminy asked. Although Ariel couldn’t see it, he was smirking.

I do. That is why I sense the same darkness within Toby that I saw when the Man in Black arrived.

You’re not saying that Toby is...like him, are you?

No. I am saying that Toby has the potential to go down the same path.

First it’s cheating at minor things, then...oh God, it gets worse…

Dark times are coming. I can feel it. I've had bad dreams. Visions of a death that will shake the nation, of blacks and whites ripping each other apart, of young men dying in a faraway country…

Stop...stop...say no more… Jiminy’s tone was fearful, upset. Ariel couldn't. She was terrified as well, but she needed to speak.

I've also seen...well, I've seen a vampire. That's the only way I can describe him.

A...vampire?

Yes. He comes to town in a wooden crate, and begins to feed on the people here. He has a helper, a bald man in a suit, who...provides him with prey.

...You are privy to the magic that this town emanates, it seems. Tell no one, lest the masquerade be broken.

I fear it may break, regardless of what you or I do. The Man in Black is going to return, and the Wolf of Night is coming here to drink his fill…

Jiminy said nothing, drawing himself away from Ariel’s mind. That was wise, as her mind began wandering down dark paths after that. Her butler, Sebastian, a Jamaican man, found her sometime later, and took her home. He knew of Ariel’s ‘shine’, as that was the same ‘shine’ his friend Dick Halloran had. She slept soundly that night, for once.

The next morning, Mayor Disney greeted a newcomer to town. He was bald, and wore a jet black suit with a red tie. He introduced himself to the mayor, and the other curious citizens who had come to see who he was, as Straker. Two siblings in front of Ariel, twins, one boy and one girl, both about 12 and with Caucasian skin, brown hair and brown eyes looked on suspiciously. She knew them as the Pines twins Mason (or Dipper, as he preferred) and Mabel.

“I’m not sure about this, Mabel.” Dipper whispered. “Are you sure he’s not here with an ulterior motive?”

“Relax, Dipper.” his sister assured. “What could possibly go wrong?” Dipper was, as Ariel knew, a bit of a conspiracy nut and a devout McCarthyist. For a 12-year old, he was far smarter than he seemed. Mabel was more innocent, carefree, and silly. And a bit odd, judging from her strange sweaters.

Straker, meanwhile, shook the hands of Walt and Roy. “A pleasure to meet you, gentlemen. I trust the building I purchased is ready to be lived in?”

“Yes.” said Roy. “The mansion you purchased is indeed ready.”

“Good. I apologize my business partner didn't arrive with me, but Mr. Barlow has other matters to attend to in Europe at the moment.”

“THE MANSION’S HAUNTED! THERE’S A BUNCH OF GHOSTS IN THERE!” someone shouted. Straker didn't even blink.

“Ghosts are nothing but the products of paranoid minds, sir.” He said.

“Yeah, and Commies have poisoned our precious bodily fluids.” the man snarked.

“THEY HAVE?!” screamed Dipper, panicking. Roy shook his head, laughing. That ‘ghosts’ comment bothered him, however...though if he knew the horrors that had taken place in that house, ghosts would be the last thing on his mind. Walt was more privy. He knew there was magic in the world, and that his town was a conduit for it. He had taken precautions to ensure this was not known to anyone, even his own family. Rachel, the girl he had loved, wasn't killed by the Nazis, which only he was aware of, because she was Jewish. That played a part in it, but the main reason she had been shot by the Germans was because she was a rather dangerous witch. He was also aware of Gods...Gods that lurked between the universes. They were not Elsa and Belle’s Elder Gods, however. One of them was called the Turtle. The other...well, it was best not to dwell on that God. Dark times were ahead, and it was best to keep the facade of West Coast Americana on for now.  He hated it, if he was honest. He had grown up in that mindset...but growing up in a mindset and feeling it were two different things. That was part of the reason he had lashed out at Jews in his youth, as they lived in a way he could only dream of. He envied their belief in a kind, loving God. Walt was unsure if such a being even existed. He himself was Christian, but it was agnostic. Walt watched the bald stranger as he left, heading for the mansion.

Straker drove to the Haunted Mansion in a truck with a large bed, carrying a wooden box. Upon pulling into the driveway, he got out, carefully lifted the box out of the truck bed, and carried it inside. No one knew what was in it, save for him. He set it down in the basement of the mansion, where no sunlight reached, then went back upstairs. He walked through each room, inspecting every corner. He wished to know if the mansion truly contained any ghosts. There were, they just weren’t showing themselves. Fair play, he supposed. Straker thought with dry humor that it would be more shocking if, after everything that had happened in this house, there weren't ghosts. There were...they were, quite literally, just hiding. And they intended to stay that way. They knew what was in that box. They knew the evil Straker had brought into town with him. And soon, it would be unleashed upon this little town. Soon, indeed...for the Wolf was hungry.

Spoiler

Songs used: Surfer Girl

First appearances: Sebastian, Dipper, Mabel, Straker, Jiminy Cricket (as a disembodied voice), Flagg (mentioned)

-It is revealed magic exists in the town of Disney, and that Ariel has psychic powers (or a 'shine'). The secrets behind the town, as well as the mysterious Man in Black, will be revealed in due time...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2