• Advertisement

Black Panther

BoJack Horseman

YEAHHHHH I'm definitely excited for this. So far it looks damn beautiful and action scenes are dope so far. Also we'll see Chadwick Boseman shirtless (smirk)

I'm surprised a teaser for this came out too early but I'm glad it did. I'm pumped.

6 minutes ago, The Headless Clappy said:

I was already convinced this was going to be awesome during casting, but this trailer is dope as hell.  Someone give whoever edited this an Oscar.

damn, the visuals are beyond impressive. Wakanda looks so futuristic and magical and I'm glad Black Panther is gonna be both sci-fi and magic. Beyond hyped.

I saw it today and man, it's one of MCU's finest for sure. I love when a superhero movie make me feel and think, instead of being all formulaic with humor. This movie knew when to make jokes and when to handle dramatic scenes. This movie was about Wakanda, rather than Black Panther, which is a minor complaint I have but still this movie made me learn more about its culture and why it shut itself from other countries. Chadwick Boseman played such a great T'Challa, aka Black Panther and his conflict with Killmonger was intriguing and gut punching. Speaking of Killmonger, MCU Phase 3 keeps the tradition of making humanized villains. I felt so awful for Killmonger, even though his actions were dark and morally wrong and Michael B. Jordan knew how to play that role. I loved learning more about T'Challa's family, his love interest, his friends and warriors. They all gained their small plots and I managed to care for every single of them. T'Challa's mother could have used more role but I didn't mind it much. Klaw was a minor villain in this movie and he was actually so much fun. I loved how they addressed themes of xenophobia, knowledge in techology and power and how much countries need to be more helpful towards each other. This movie was more than just another superhero movie. It was about cultures and people living in a harsh enviroment. T'Challa's character growth because of it made me really happy for him and Wakanda itself. If there's one big problem I have with this movie is that some of CGI was too noticable. There were great action scenes and some CGI looked breathtaking but there were other times that I just didn't like how the movie looked. I highly recommend this movie to everyone, even those who are tired of MCU formula. It still had some big climax and humor but those were handled well and other aspects of the movie will be beloved for sure.

Grade: A

• Confused 1

Damn excellent movie.  This is definitely right up there in terms of my all time favorite MCU movies.  I was glued in from start to finish without my mind wandering once.  It just felt very refreshing and a nice change of pace of what I’ve come to expect from the MCU.  Which I’m not tired by their formula yet, but this felt different and more significant.

I can highlight the acting all together as being great, but Michael B. Jordan was fucking fantastic as Killmonger.  I knew how good of an actor he was, but Jesus Christ, I didn’t expect him to steal every scene he was freaking in.  His charismatic performance blew me away.  Phase 3 has had some damn great villains, but this guy just blew them all out of the water.

If I had any minor complaints, the CGI was hit or miss.  When it hit, like with that car chase scene in South Korea, it was slick. But you can tell they were trying to budget their CGI usage wisely with Infinity War on the way and I wouldn’t be surprised if that ends up being the most expensive movie ever made.  For example, that final fight scene.  It was noticeable that the CGI was early 2000s level of CGI.  Especially with Black Panther and Killmonger in the cave/subway (?) and them fight falling to said area.  Like I said though, only a minor complaint.

Fantastic movie that I can’t wait to go see again.  That applause in my theater was absolutely warranted.

• Like 1

It's not often that a superhero movie truly grabs my attention past a sort of "oh, well that exists" acknowledgement. In fact, the most recent one I've seen is Wonder Woman back in August (just before it left theaters), which I absolutely adore.

When I first heard that Black Panther was a thing, I still followed Ian Miles Cheong on Twitter (AKA diet Paul Joseph Watson for gamers; sue me if you want). Right from the start, my big fear regarding this movie was that it would be a repeat of the Power Rangers one, some kind of mediocre social activist fluff. Still, I wanted it to do well, and holy shit, were my fears proven to be bogus. I've heard nothing but good things about this movie (though this was a particularly cringeworthy moment).

Planning on watching it when it comes out on home media. This should be good.

Edited by HawkbitAlpha