• Advertisement

Ranking The 10 Best Songs of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend Season 2

Hayden

5 hours ago, Katniss said:

Karen is always amazing.

Except for that time when she ruined girl's night and half an episode with one of the unfunniest things I've ever seen on television.

5. Let's Have Intercourse

A parody of Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud. Nathaniel definitely says a lot of things out loud he is better left thinking, mainly jabs hurled at Rebecca's physical appearance. Which is stupid funny because of how blunt and dicky it is. It sets the stage for a very different chapter in Rebecca's interpersonal drama. For the two of them, it's all about scratching an itch of lust instead of mutual respect. Even when she has everything she says she wants, Rebecca still wants to poke the bear for a release of instant gratification. If self-backstabbing was an exercise, Rebecca would be very thin. If Rebecca's nipples weren't such an anomaly, maybe Nathaniel could get his head out of his ass. Dirty dancing is a filthy slope.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe it's because he's legit hot but I really like Nathaniel as a character. He's an asshole but it makes sense since he's a workaholic to make his dad proud just like how Rebecca tried to make his dad proud in latter season 2. This song is not much about it, it's rather about sexual frustration that we all can relate to lol.

• Like 1

4. Ping Pong Girl

A Josh rock song about ping pong badassery while Rebecca's dressed in an outfit she probably found laying around in the trash. The constant cuts to Rebecca in the real world make it even more dorky. Not many Josh songs ever make my lists. As a rule of thumb, Josh songs where Rebecca is imagining his behavior are more interesting than Josh songs through his POV. I can't even count how many times "whoa" and "bro" are said, and then there's the assertion that us dudes love to talk about our penises. (I don't, maybe WhoBob does). But yeah, this is one of the last chapters in the ridiculous saga of ways to impress Josh. Not long after this, they almost give that 30 year mortgage a whirl.

• Like 2

I used to love pop punk music (still got a little soft spot for it) so I adored Ping Pong Girl. Perfect send-up of the genre.

and while we're on the subject of Josh songs, I think Thought Bubbles is decent :P 

• Like 1

hush hayden

anyway, Ping Pong Girl is one of the best songs of this season. Not much to say, except it's about ping pong but it's very catchy. Thought Bubbles is actually a great song imo. I wasn't fan of DUH song tho.

• Like 1

3. You Go First

Power ballad with big wigs. It's the rainy, bleak, mid-season drama driver. Paula and Rebecca care too much about their pride to let bygones be bygones and give in first. This is relatable because whenever you have a fight, if the other person stands down first you're extremely willing to practically go overboard on forgiveness because the other person proved they care enough to be deserving of that sentiment. I think they did splendid with letting Paula get more depth and having Rebecca's friendship with her get progressively less unhealthy. The passive aggression and self-involvement are part of who they are, but it doesn't matter whose fault it is if they communicate.

• Like 2

2. Friendtopia

Valencia/Heather are finally awarded their due as part of a Spice Girls trio. Rebecca really takes the added security that comes with friendship to frightening measures. Gossip giggles. Hair braid hangings. Drugs in the water supply. British accents. But worst of all, forcing people to watch the worst Halloween movie ever produced. Hocus Pocus. :( The phrase squad goals never had a more electrifying definition. ZIG A ZOW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Before we get to a split lover serenade, I'll reel back and talk about some honorable mentions and why they couldn't top my 10.

Stuck in the Bathroom-Heather deserves more than narration (Plus a gross line about Karen). She still killed what she was given, just needed some tweaks.

Research Me Obsessively-Interesting to tackle social media browsing, because who hasn't used that like that? Actress singing was "ehhh" for me though.

We Tapped That Ass-Appreciate all that tap dancing prowess, but the sexual innuendo was to a near-suffocating extent. Not used to Josh/Greg stage sharing.

Period Sex-Didn't hit the airwaves in full for an actual episode(which made its budget resort to clip recycling), but I adored its cringe use before the Josh break-up.

Tell Me I'm Okay Patrick-I get that secret to feeling normal struggle. :( 43 percent sure I liked this song. Manual rant was amazeballs.

Rebecca's Reprise-I liked how it built up Rebecca's hopeful state of mind, but it was kind of just a mixture of 3 songs from S1 that weren't on my radar :P

Whose ready for the grand finale?!

1.5  Love Kernels

Whoops. Ignore that .5 (smirk) I decided to toss Katniss a Love Kernel. Hope you have a full serving size of popcorn with you. Inspired symbolism choices. Fashion cactus. A hamster costume head. A bellhop outfit. Rude phone holding ladies. But behind the bonkers set design is a song about validation and latching onto what little we receive. We all want to be the most important person in at least one person's life. Analyzing the subtext of what our other half does is crazy normal. I would totally have been down for Darryl being played by a broom as a one episode or season stunt by the way.

• Like 2

1. It Was a Shit Show

This was the shit, yo. Infinite props to the composer of the rich instrumental that enhances Santino's words and conveys every last emotion of the scene. It's a daring move for the show to flip off "fate" and portray Rebecca/Greg for the fleeting thing it is. Greg ran away from his happy natural disaster to intentionally better himself. Rebecca ran away from her miserable New York job to accidentally better herself. It was an impactful crossroad that I don't think the show will ever recreate. I'm going to miss watching this play about pieces of feces. But CEG teaches us that a divorce isn't the end, it's a whole fresh beginning.

• Like 2

Thanks for the new version, howb. Thank you both for being the only CE-Geeks to follow this topic.

After a brief six months where I did most of the work in one week, we are 10 weeks away from the 3rd season.

It's gonna be a lit show.

• Like 2