• Advertisement

Love

terminoob

Netflix's newest show, brought to you in part by Judd Apatow. Starring Paul Rust and Gillian Jacobs.

Just finished up the first season earlier today. Thought it was entertaining and very easily bingeable, but I have a lot of mixed feelings about where they decided to go with the characters. Like most of the recent Apatow-related things, it really falls apart about two-thirds of the way in and never manages to fully recover.

52 minutes ago, Katniss said:

Just watched the first episode. It was...fine? I was definitely more interested in Gillian's character tbh. I'll watch a few more episodes before I can really form an opinion on it.

Yeah, Mickey is great. She continues to be a lot more interesting than Gus throughout the show - Jacobs pretty much carries the entire thing on her shoulders the whole time (though in terms of comedy I'd say Claudia O'Doherty takes it over either of the leads). So if you're a fan of her character, you'll probably be able to watch the rest just fine. The episodes are only about 30 minutes long, so it's not too much of a commitment either way. I'd say make your decision after The Date.

I'm through to episode 7 and it's okay. I don't really find Gus very likable but I really enjoy Mickey and Bertie. It definitely doesn't compare to You're the Worst, which it's fairly similar to.

19 minutes ago, 70s said:

I'm through to episode 7 and it's okay. I don't really find Gus very likable but I really enjoy Mickey and Bertie. It definitely doesn't compare to You're the Worst, which it's fairly similar to.

Spoiler

I think a big difference (for me, anyway) is that Jimmy has some vaguely redeeming qualities and isn't manipulative and isn't dating Greta for his own personal satisfaction. Even when he cheated on her it like sort of made sense story-wise because their relationship seemed like it was about to end (not that I'm defending cheating at all, but him cheating on Greta made a lot more sense to me than Gus cheating on Mikey). Gus is just a really bad character. He has the potential to get better but throughout season 1 he's not really portrayed as having any redeeming qualities as a character because every time he does something kind of okay we get reminded almost immediately that he's still terrible. Like when he takes Mikey to the Magic Castle even though she clearly doesn't want to go, and he's trying to show her a good time by doing things that he wants to do (like going to the piano or going to the magic show that she doesn't want to be at), and he's really hesitant about giving her his jacket, and then getting kicked out becomes a whole thing because he doesn't stand up for either of them. Or at the dinner with Bertie when he kept trying to be nice but she kept being resistant but then he kept being persistent so it turned into him manipulating her. He doesn't develop as a character at any point in the show and it's one of my biggest complaints because by the end of episode 10 it feels like we're supposed to want them to be together but I don't get why.

13 minutes ago, terminoob said:

Reveal hidden contents

I think a big difference (for me, anyway) is that Jimmy has some vaguely redeeming qualities and isn't manipulative and isn't dating Greta for his own personal satisfaction. Even when he cheated on her it like sort of made sense story-wise because their relationship seemed like it was about to end (not that I'm defending cheating at all, but him cheating on Greta made a lot more sense to me than Gus cheating on Mikey). Gus is just a really bad character. He has the potential to get better but throughout season 1 he's not really portrayed as having any redeeming qualities as a character because every time he does something kind of okay we get reminded almost immediately that he's still terrible. Like when he takes Mikey to the Magic Castle even though she clearly doesn't want to go, and he's trying to show her a good time by doing things that he wants to do (like going to the piano or going to the magic show that she doesn't want to be at), and he's really hesitant about giving her his jacket, and then getting kicked out becomes a whole thing because he doesn't stand up for either of them. Or at the dinner with Bertie when he kept trying to be nice but she kept being resistant but then he kept being persistent so it turned into him manipulating her. He doesn't develop as a character at any point in the show and it's one of my biggest complaints because by the end of episode 10 it feels like we're supposed to want them to be together but I don't get why.

Mickey is far from perfect too but... she deserves better? And to be honest I think it's a little odd when you compare Mickey's exes on the show to Gus'. A lot of the stuff with Gus (the near-threesome being the most egregious example) feels like wish fulfillment since Paul Rust created the show. Gretchen from YTW is probably out of Jimmy's league, but he's still cute and I understand what they see in each other. Obviously relationships aren't all about looks but this show hasn't given Gus a super great personality to make up for the fact that he's not very good-looking. They haven't shown me why Mickey likes Gus beyond being amused by what a dork he is. He's like the annoying "nice guy" trope, and I think the show's trying to subvert it but kind of failing.

But like I said, I like Mickey and Bertie. And I like the format of the show too, so I'll at least finish this season.

Didn't binge watch the entire series like I planned but I'm halfway through (finished The Date)...it's ok?  I've always liked Gillian Jacobs and she's certainly the best part of the show.  I like her character Mickey and I also like Bertie.  Just like everyone else on here seems to.

Also just like everyone else, I'm getting annoyed with Gus.  His personality is grating.  I'm not sure if that's suppose to be against his character trope intentionally or not, but who would tell Paul Rust otherwise when he's also one of the writers and a producer?  I agree with 70s that that three way in the pilot felt like wish fulfillment.

But I think my main problem is this feels like a recent Judd Apatow production story wise and it bothers me.  It's a roller coaster ride storyline wise and the moments I start to really like this, it falls apart again and bothers me.  I do like the chemistry between Mickey and Gus so it's not like I don't want to see them together.  But with the way the series is written, especially when it comes to Gus, I have a bad feeling that they are going to role reverse and make Gus even more hard to like and do a role reversal with Mickey to make her want Gus even more.

I don't know.  This show is a mess, but I'm at least going to finish this season before making a final judgment call.

Finished the first season.  One of the most complicated feelings I've had towards a show I've binge watched in awhile.  Not because it was bad.  It's a frustrating mess.  So many of my comments from yesterday still stand except they managed to make Gus even more of a prick.  I sure hope Season 2 is about Gus discovering that about himself as much as Season 1 was about Mickey learning that she needed to improve.  Gillian Jacobs seriously impressed me so much it's not even funny.

But I'm going to be bluntl.  I think what made me continue to watch this despite how much it pissed me off at times is how real it was.  Despite how poorly the show was structured often, they certainly succeeded at making it a modern show about how love is complicated.  Honestly the best examples of how this was highlighted was in Episode 8.  I mean yeah fuck Gus for cheating.  His character was by far the worst part about this episode as he was so often throughout the series.  But I think it was honestly one of the most realistic scenarios I've seen in a show in forever.  What Mickey went through during those 30 minutes really struck a chord with me because I've been in that scenario God knows how many times.  Wondering why someone I just went on a date with has been avoiding me all day.  Feeling insecure about myself at a party I was invited to by a girl I really like only to feel intimidated by someone pretty much perfect who I stood no chance against.  While also, feeling like I was ruining their good time trying to have a friend come help me escape.

Not just that episode, but 3 and 6 highlighted this too with Gus.  Yeah some of the few times they wrote Gus well.  His situations where Mickey was not texting him back due to fucking her boss and then drinking and doing drugs with Andy Dick...the emotions he went through I've been in those exact shoes.  Overthinking wondering when she'll reply or if I sent too many texts.  I went through the same reactions myself where it affected my mood the exact same way.

As much as I hated the writing and as much as Apatow's storytelling structure seriously is getting old (termi is right, all of his movies suffer from falling apart half way through and becoming messy af), this honestly is one of the realest shows I've seen in awhile when it comes to pure concept.  That alone made me glad I gave Love a binge watch.  It's raw emotional power.

Finished watching season 2 and I definitely have some thoughts to share:

Spoiler

I thought the season opening was weak and I didn't like the contrived way Mickey was stuck at Gus's place. The finale similarly felt weak. The chase scene at the farmer's market was ridiculous and I was sure Mickey was gonna get caught cheating especially after Gus's friends told him about the hike, but nothing happened...guess they're saving that for season 3. 

Wish they did more with Bertie's character. I'm glad she had the realization of being a people pleaser as well as her decision to break up with Randy, but then nothing much happens after that. I'm disappointed that she went back to Randy because I don't like that guy at all. He doesn't seem like he's ready to get his shit together.

Mickey's ex Harry Crane from Mad Men Dustin unnerved me in the finale with the stalking and then immaturely calling her a whore after she breaks things off with him. I can feel that he really does love her but yikes lol

I like Chris and hope we get to see more of him in season 3. For a moment I thought he and Bertie were gonna get together, that would've been cute.

"A Day" was my favorite episode of the season. It was really nice to see Mickey and Gus happy and able to reveal stuff about themselves to each other. 

Random nitpick but they mentioned Uber a lot. Like that episode with Mickey's dad was just a big ad for them lol. I like Uber but come on now.

Mickey and Gus both frustrated me. Mickey was being a jerk to Gus at times (and took out her feelings on poor Bertie) and Gus has issues with codependency and boundaries (like buying the plane ticket for Mickey, kissing her in the first place after she said she wanted space for a year and admitted to being a sex and love addict) and acted like a dick because Mickey missed out on the Witchita finale for something more important imo. They were cute in the beginning but man did things get toxic. They're both still quite immature and messed up in some ways. I'm not sure if I can still root for them in season 3 but I'll probably end up watching out of curiosity lol

Also the music in this show was on point, I was so excited when I heard Chance playing in one of the episodes

Edited by Katniss