• Advertisement

The Hateful Eight

Katniss

One of my professors saw a screening of this with Tarantino. Here're the non-spoilers he gave us.

- Because it's shot in 70mm it'll feel like you could fall into the screen (apparently Tarantino said "the people in the front row should hold onto their seats"). It accentuates every little bit of detail in the scene. 

- It's three hours long. There was an intermission at the screening. I have no idea if there'll be one when it's show in theaters.

- Even though it's a western it feels nothing like Django.

- Some of the score is unused material from John Carpenter's The Thing. The composer had some music that got cut from that movie and told Tarantino that it'd work here.

- Jennifer Jason Leigh was phenomenal.

- When it ends and goes to the credits, the people credited directly after Tarantino were the make-up artists (which I just think is a cool little detail).

This was really great. It definitely could've been edited a bit more and I think in some areas the script could've been a smidge tighter, but overall really entertaining. Walton Goggins and Jennifer Jason Leigh in particular were both outstanding, the score was amazing (would not be surprised in the least if Morricone wins an Oscar for it), and the make-up/costuming was really something else. There are definitely worse ways to spend 3 hours.

Saw it earlier. Awesome (if derivative) which is typical for Tarantino. Definitely see The Thing influence, which is pretty unique in a western context. The ridiculous bloodshed was glorious, Jackson was great as usual, Kurt Russell, etc. go see it. Also dug the homage to the Last House on the Left.