• Advertisement

shin's obscure song-or-four-a-day

shin

hi there, shin here, the internet's busiest a e s t h e t i c s king.

and this is going to be a list of fairly unpopular music that i think you should listen to.

i will try to accommodate as many genres as possible, i will only post more well-known artists if i really think they deserve even more attention.

general rule of thumb will be: if it's uploaded on youtube and has more than 200,000 views at the time of posting, it's too good for this scummy proto-hipster compilation... unless it's an ABSOLUTELY EXQUISITE PIECE OF AURAL FUCKIN' ART.

posting rate will be irregular, please do follow the thread if you like what you're hearing!

don't hesitate to give me feedback on the songs i post, i really do appreciate hearing what you have to say about the stuff i decide to showcase!

Artist: After the Burial

Title: Aspiration

Album: Rareform [Re-issue]

Released: 2009

A heavy metal track making use of the popular "djent" riffs heard in many recent releases from this genre. Surprisingly melodic experience with an uplifting intro progressing into heavy riff "chugging", met with sprinkles of the introduction's airy touches and sweeping instrumental sections.

• Like 2

Artist: New Radicals

TItle: Someday We'll Know

Album: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

Released on: 1998

Okay, okay. Before all you 90's kids flame up and bash me for posting a song from a (gasp!) high-charting one-hit wonder, hear me out here. This song is a master course in writing a "falling out of love" pop ballad, and should be regarded as one of the finest works of music of the decade. Accompanied by the to-be-expected clean musicianship typical of AOR groups, the lyrics strike a fine balance between simple and profound. The song tells a story of a heartbroken ex-lover who can't quite shake off why their relationship had gone so awry. It's a melancholy experience, through and through-- one that certainly resonates with people who have experienced heartbreak of any degree. If you're looking to sulk in a uniquely 90's way, pop this track on and take a stroll on a rainy day. Just make sure you don't short out your CD player.

• Like 2

Artist: New Radicals

TItle: Someday We'll Know

Album: Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

Released on: 1998

Okay, okay. Before all you 90's kids flame up and bash me for posting a song from a (gasp!) high-charting one-hit wonder, hear me out here. This song is a master course in writing a "falling out of love" pop ballad, and should be regarded as one of the finest works of music of the decade. Accompanied by the to-be-expected clean musicianship typical of AOR groups, the lyrics strike a fine balance between simple and profound. The song tells a story of a heartbroken ex-lover who can't quite shake off why their relationship had gone so awry. It's a melancholy experience, through and through-- one that certainly resonates with people who have experienced heartbreak of any degree. If you're looking to sulk in a uniquely 90's way, pop this track on and take a stroll on a rainy day. Just make sure you don't short out your CD player.

The next thing you know, he'll post songs from Semisonic's All About Chemistry album.

Artist: Meneo

Song: Vamo a Ve

Album: El Jardin

Released: 2013

Visuals straight out of a Photoshop/PowerPoint/3DMAX acid-fueled neon green ass-shaped island. Disembodied Freddie Mercury legs. Eyeballs EVERYWHERE. Equally eccentric electric sampling (think Jean-Jacques Perrey on speed and sleeping off a 4am taco run to Tijuana). Best of all, it's something you can dance to.

You aren't ready for this. Or maybe you are, because you're secretly a lunatic.

Artist: Hackman

Title: Forgotten Notes

Album: Forgotten Notes

Released on: 2012

A nice chilltronica track made famous by a somewhat unlikely source-- the official soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto V.

(Be warned, I will likely be posting quite a few songs from the soundtrack, do check the whole thing out if you like what you're hearing)